Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Unlocked phone on Verizon network

Vehicles
      2002 F150 XLT
      02-02-2012 12:49 PM #1
      I've started to notice that there are some cool cell phones out there that were either not released in the US or not released for Verizon.

Has anyone ever bought an unlocked phone and used it on the Verizon network. I know not all phones will work on, it has to be cdma or something not gsm. Was it easy? Any advice? Thanks!

2. 02-02-2012 02:08 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by JUSTAGL View Post
      I've started to notice that there are some cool cell phones out there that were either not released in the US or not released for Verizon.

Has anyone ever bought an unlocked phone and used it on the Verizon network. I know not all phones will work on, it has to be cdma or something not gsm. Was it easy? Any advice? Thanks!
      Don't know if you could even find a worthy phone.

Must be compatible with CDMA 850/1900MHZ spectrum which is what Verizon uses. Few, if any, international carriers use this spectrum. The major international CDMA carriers in China, Japan, SK use different spectrums so the phones would not be compatible.

Sprint uses 1900MHz so theoretically some of their 3G phones will be compatible, but that's only the start of your problems.

Unlike GSM phones, CDMA phones have no SIM card and are identified/authenticated on the network by a hard-coded ESN/MEID number specific to each phone. Verizon keeps a data base of these numbers, and will only allow approved numbers of their network. So, if you attempted to get a Sprint 3G phone with 1900MHz CDMA radio (iPhone for example), Verizon would most likely deny your ESN because they will be able to determine the phone was originally destined for Sprint. There is no such thing as 'unlocking' a CDMA phone.

Essentially, any smartphone worth hassling over is already available through Verizon.

Vehicles
      2002 F150 XLT
      02-02-2012 02:17 PM #3
      Thanks, that exactly what I've been reading. I was just trying to get a cooler basic phone than Verizon is offering right now.

4. 02-02-2012 02:21 PM #4
      Ahh.. well, might be some basic phones available, but I don't pay any attention to that