Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S.C.S. - Single Child Syndrome

02-14-2012 12:56 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post

my wife is an 8th grade teacher and she always tells me how parents have issues keeping their kids from doing things...

ie "i take the game cable away but they just steal it back".
      My wife told the same thing during a venting session to me one day about a 5th grader's parent....I just sat there.

Evidently this was the only time my wife has ever had anyone (her principal/boss) talk to her about "remembering to be professional with parents", because her response to the parent was "you're making a really bad joke, right?"(I had this confirmed by multiple tipsy teachers at a teacher-party later...i'm so proud).

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      02-14-2012 01:19 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      My wife told the same thing during a venting session to me one day about a 5th grader's parent....I just sat there.

Evidently this was the only time my wife has ever had anyone (her principal/boss) talk to her about "remembering to be professional with parents", because her response to the parent was "you're making a really bad joke, right?"(I had this confirmed by multiple tipsy teachers at a teacher-party later...i'm so proud).
      i always laugh at the stories where the kid is telling the parents to shut up.

if that ever happens to me, it will only ever happen once. once.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

3. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      02-14-2012 01:26 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post

Evidently this was the only time my wife has ever had anyone (her principal/boss) talk to her about "remembering to be professional with parents", because her response to the parent was "you're making a really bad joke, right?"
      I imagine it would be hard to keep your mouth in censorship mode in that circumstance.

It hasn't happened yet and if it does....a wrath like no other will be brought down...liek no other.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      02-14-2012 01:41 PM #39
      I always keep my opinion on parenting to myself, unless asked. But my god, American parents have gone bat-**** crazy for the most part.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

5. Banned
      02-15-2012 09:08 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      I always keep my opinion on parenting to myself, unless asked. But my god, American parents have gone bat-**** crazy for the most part.
      And no matter what you do at home, your kids will go to school with above's kids.....and WILL be influenced in some way/shape or form.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      02-15-2012 10:15 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubChaos View Post
      And no matter what you do at home, your kids will go to school with above's kids.....and WILL be influenced in some way/shape or form.

And require extra a$$ whooping when they get home.

This happens when my kid spends a weekend with grandma not saying "no". She comes home and it takes a day or two of to get her back to normal.

7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      02-15-2012 10:39 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      She comes home and it takes a day or two of to get her back to normal.
      I loathe when my kids come back from my in-laws, after a few days, ugh.

8. Banned
      02-15-2012 10:44 AM #43
      And require extra a$$ whooping when they get home.

This happens when my kid spends a weekend with grandma not saying "no". She comes home and it takes a day or two of to get her back to normal.
      Hehe, sounds like we are dealing with the same ****.

My kids are not even allowed at inlaws.

Heck even my mother who is hard core old school Polish type of a grandma give them way too much freedom/spoiling for my liking (but it's also a language gap etc).

9. Member
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      02-15-2012 12:51 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubChaos View Post
      Hehe, sounds like we are dealing with the same ****.

My kids are not even allowed at inlaws.

Heck even my mother who is hard core old school Polish type of a grandma give them way too much freedom/spoiling for my liking (but it's also a language gap etc).
      Heck even my mother-in-law who is hard core old school Korean type of a grandma give them way too much freedom/spoiling for my liking (but it's also a language gap etc).

10. Banned
      02-15-2012 12:58 PM #45
      Heck even my mother-in-law who is hard core old school Korean type of a grandma give them way too much freedom/spoiling for my liking (but it's also a language gap etc).
      hehe

my mom cannot/does not sense attitude from my daughter. Pisses me off cause when I was young she would beat the crap out of me.

11. 02-15-2012 05:39 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      He wanted the rules in writing so i wrote them up.
      I wouldn't write a god d@mn thing up. When he becomes a parent, he can write sh!t up, until then, this isn't a democracy.

My mother was a single mother and even though I outweighed her and was much stronger, there is no doubt in my mind I would loose a fight with her. I got hit with the nearest thing to her sometimes. I had it pretty easy too.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      02-16-2012 05:26 PM #47
      writing the rules down wasn't a big deal, i had already emailed with his mother about how to handle things. And besides, it helps for him to know exactly what our expectations are. He is doing a lot better after only a week.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      Current: '86 QSW, '87 GTi VR6, '09 Routan, '14 Passat TSi
      04-07-2012 05:24 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Nothing wrong with that.

I'd keep one key for it and I'd keep it on a necklace around my neck.
      Yeah, I've found with my 12 y/o that they are often looking for the boundaries to feel secure and loved. Ultimately he's looking to please and with his chores done he enjoys his playing and hanging out with his friends more.
      Last edited by Row1Rich; 04-07-2012 at 05:26 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      04-07-2012 10:25 PM #49
      We're only having one child. My son was born 18 months ago and I already had surgery to ensure that.

Anyways, we're already taking steps to ensure there are no issues like OP is talking about. Making sure he's around lots of kids his age, and we DON'T give in to his demands and temper tantrums.

Its actually funny to watch an 18 month old throw a tantrum. We actually laugh out loud when he does it. But he will and does get over it. I can see some parents giving in all the time tough, even for small things such as throwing a tantrum for more juice....

I'm sure it will get tougher but we're ready.

For the OP, I'd definitely crack down on him. Take away one thing at a time that he loves and make sure he knows his place in the family.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      04-16-2012 04:17 PM #50
      Here are some of the rules for our 15 yo...

1. Daily must-dos after school: homework, reading (minimum 1 hour), practice guitar and piano.

2. You EARN your electronic (TV, XBox, FB/youtube/internet, etc.) time by doing chores, not the other way around. Daily chores include take the trash out (all rooms), make your bed, pull your curtains, clear the dishes from the dishwasher, and help mom with setting up dinner.

3. No TV, PC or Xbox in the bedroom (do not allow them having their own TV or PC in bedroom). Bed time 9PM weekdays. Computer will lock him out at exactly 9PM.

4. Maturity and responsibility - I can treat you like a 15 yo, or I can also treat you like a 5 yo. If you tell me you will be home at 5, you'd better watch your time or you won't get to hang out that long the next time. If you don't answer the phone or reply to my text promptly, I'll take that phone away.

5. Clean up after your mess. I just locked up all the tools last weekend and dumped all his longboard project in a trashbag because he did not clean up the bench. If you borrow my tripod and don't return it to its place, you don't get to use it again. Etc.

6. Grades - We are not "tiger" parents, but we want you to try your best and learn from your mistakes. These lessons not only will help you now and but are also valuable lessons for college and later in life. If you tripped on stupid mistakes on exams, learn to read the questions more carefully and check your answers. If you get A in one quarter and slide to B in the next, you need to refocus and quit being overconfident. Learn from your grades and learn to decipher what to do to earn a higher grade from a teacher. Each teacher has different expectations.
      If your grade falls, you'll get more parental scrutiny. If your grade improves, you'll get encouragement and more leeway when you want things.

7. Allowance - divided into 3 parts - saving, charity and actual spending.

8. Family quality time - try to have family dinner as much as possible. Also do things on weekends. Try not to let them shut you out of their lives
      Last edited by sg207ptg; 04-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.

16. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-16-2012 05:34 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by sg207ptg View Post
      Bed time 9PM weekdays. Computer will lock him out at exactly 9PM.
      Our kids go to bed at 8:30pm.

People that take their 7-9 year olds to the grocery at midnight on Wednesday.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      04-23-2012 03:01 PM #52

Yeah, but don't feel defeated when they do it again. I was a good kid for the most part but when it came down to 'acts of defiance' I always tried to pull the trump card
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

18. Member
      04-23-2012 06:02 PM #53
      I would worry about my kid if there wasn't pushing of boundaries. I think it's normal and part of the learning process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12