Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mk6 rcd310 questions

1. 02-06-2012 11:10 PM #1
      '12 base GTI w/ RCD 310. no steering wheel controls. it has a VIS display with basic info-fuel milage, average speed etc. it has the BT buttons in the headliner.

i paired my iphone 4 via BT and now the VIS displays a phone menu, but all other VIS options are gone unless i turn BT off on my phone. is this normal behavior, a known issue, a unique issue to me, or perhaps i'm doing something wrong?

second issue - hooking the iphone up the "media-in" works but only the right channel plays. when hooked via BT it streams in stereo. i don't plan on "media-in" often but again i wonder if i've got something set wrong on the phone or the car..

thanks for any input on this..

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      02-20-2012 08:27 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by LannyM View Post
      '12 base GTI w/ RCD 310. no steering wheel controls. it has a VIS display with basic info-fuel milage, average speed etc. it has the BT buttons in the headliner.

i paired my iphone 4 via BT and now the VIS displays a phone menu, but all other VIS options are gone unless i turn BT off on my phone. is this normal behavior, a known issue, a unique issue to me, or perhaps i'm doing something wrong?
      Dunno. My car has steering wheel controls, and all seems well when paired with the phone. I use the steering controls to see the avg. speed, etc. How are you supposed to control it without the steering controls? Aren't there other MFD screens?

second issue - hooking the iphone up the "media-in" works but only the right channel plays. when hooked via BT it streams in stereo. i don't plan on "media-in" often but again i wonder if i've got something set wrong on the phone or the car..

thanks for any input on this..
      Could it be that the cable isn't plugged in all the way? Otherwise, I don't know what would be set wrong.

3. 03-08-2012 09:21 PM #3
      LannyM,

I don't know if you have figured this out yet, but if not here is what might answer your questions?

The MK6 GTI's and Golf's without the steering wheel controls are equipped with a smart wiper stalk. This stalk has the Up/Dn buttons at the end and Select at the bottom - you probably already know this as these are the buttons you use to scroll through the MFD display options. However, what is less known (though described in the VW manual), is that to back out of any given Menu, one has to "press and hold for a few seconds" the Up button (and in some cases the Select button). This way, you can navigate into and out of any of the functions programmed with your car and effectively gives you the same MFD control and functionality as the cars equipped with the multi-function steering wheel.
      Beside the basic trip computer info, your MFD and smart wiper stalk can help download and navigate your phone address book, manage phone calls, display radio stations, reset Maintenance Service reminders and adjust a series of custom settings, such as doors lock/unlock sequence, footwell lighting intensity, number of blinks per left/right blinkers tap, etc. It is quite ingenious and very cool feature that VW packed in with these cars.

Regarding the audio issues, when connected via the AUX-IN, is it possible that your phone uses a multi-pin headphone output (such that you can have a stereo set of headphones + microphone) connected to it? If so, the pinout may be different than that of the AUX-IN connector. Try a connecting a regular MP-3 player to that input to test this theory. If the MP-3 player has both channels coming through, you may have to get an adapter for your i-Phone.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
      Dunno. My car has steering wheel controls, and all seems well when paired with the phone. I use the steering controls to see the avg. speed, etc. How are you supposed to control it without the steering controls? Aren't there other MFD screens?

Could it be that the cable isn't plugged in all the way? Otherwise, I don't know what would be set wrong.

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI DSG 4-Door; 2013 VW DSG 4-Door
      04-04-2012 05:03 PM #4
      vinnierusso,

Just wanted to say thanks! The "less known" information that you provided saved me a second trip to the dealer...the could not figure it out the first time. Truly appreciate the info.

5. 05-05-2012 11:29 AM #5
      LannyM,

I'm glad it helped you out.