Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suggestions for a beginner RC Car?

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S Line
      02-07-2012 01:41 PM #1
      I want to get into the RC hobby and would like suggestions on what to purchase. The only brand I am sort of familiar with is Tamiya. I would like to stick to battery power as well for now.

Also I see a lot of cars/ parts for sale on Craigslist.
      2008 A3 Ocean Blue S Line | Open Sky| 3M Clear Bra| ABT Side Skirts | Votex Rear Bumper Valence| ECS Side Markers | Racing Dash LED Rear License Plate Bulb | GTI Aluminum pedals | ECS Dogbone mount | Front Plate Delete & GMG license plate bracket|apr stage 1

"Keep the air in the spare, and the bag in the wheel" - Adam Carolla

Vehicles
      1969 ProStreet Camaro 1995 4runner 1996 brown camry,1985VW golf 8V GTI(gone)
      02-08-2012 09:45 PM #2
      What are you going to do with it ? Just basic entry I would say Traxxas Slash or Stampeed both tough trucks that that most hobby shops keep parts for .Also simple to work on .

Vehicles
      '01 Tahoe, '12 3, 92 jetta
      02-11-2012 01:16 PM #3
      i agree on the slash. they are tough, pretty fast and have a huge aftermarket so the truck can grow with you.

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      02-21-2012 06:55 PM #4
      Just got my stepson into RC cars with the traxxis ken block/ rally 1/10th car! its bad ass!
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      02-27-2012 12:31 PM #5
      I just picked up a Traxxas Slash as a 'first' car (I played with stuff in the 80s/90s when I was a kid) to get my son into it. He's two, and LOVES it.
      I just (literally 5 minutes ago) picked up a Traxxas Rustler to play with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      02-27-2012 07:44 PM #6
      I will be picking up another VXL rally (i dont need the ken block livery) to play with, Im jealous everytime we take out his car and he runs the batt down and I dont get to play!
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

Vehicles
      1996 VW GTI, 2005 Forester XT
      03-01-2012 07:40 PM #7
      Totally depends on where you want to use it. I reccomend the Slash as a good starter RC car. Easy to work on, can get parts at your local hobby shop and tons of aftermarket support (some great, some total Chinese crap)

Offroad - Slash is a very solid options. Once you upgrade to RPM arms/diff cover, it's nearly indestructable (30 foot bmx jumps, no problem). But basically any Traxxas will fit the bill here. 4x4 has more moving parts. Stay away from the 1/16 stuff if you want to go over jumps/not have to replace the hub carriers every month because of the ball joints...

Onroad - whole 'nother can of worms. Drift (OTA-R31, MSD MS-01, Yokomo anything, TA-05 etc..), grip (Xray and schumacher seem to be popular), scale VTA (any 4wd on-road woudl work here due to slow speeds) etc...

Tamiya makes great stuff, including build instructions. But it's hard to get locally...
      Shutup and drive yo cah'!

Vehicles
      '02 sfwd jti, '05 Colorado, '13 4Runner
      03-03-2012 07:58 PM #8
      another vote for the slash. bought my son a 2wd for his 9th birthday. awesome truck. beats all the tamiya's i had when i was running rc cars (80's-90's too). he jumps it alot, and it soars level, lands and boogies. the traxxas support (upgrades) and aftermarket is incredible.
      67mm sfwd mk4 build
      kevlar
      gates timing belt # T306RB
      INA will send the terrorist after you.

Barstool Brewing, Co.

Vehicles
      2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited
      03-05-2012 12:17 PM #9
      I'm going to play devils advocate here and say that the Slash really isnt all that great for a beginner. The reason i say this that while is a very simple and pretty robust vehicle, it is not the most versatile. Its designed for racing on a dirt track. Its not great on road (even lowered with on road tires and sway bars), and you pretty much cant drive it through grass either since it has smaller tires on it.

Id recommend a rustler or a stampede. I'd also look at some of the offerings from HPI like an E-Firestorm or E-Savage. HPI is usually pretty easy to get at your LHS, not as common as traxxas though. Traxxas used to be the low cost, hard to break beginner product but lately they seem to demand a higher price than what a similarly equipped HPI can be had for. I recently traded my Slash 4x4 for a Savage X 4.6 and man that thing is ROBUST!

Vehicles
      Just sold my 05 1.8t gti
      03-06-2012 08:18 PM #10
      If I was you i'd buy my baja 5b

it barely breaks
      its cheap to run reg gas and 2 stroke oil mix
      runs for 1.5 hours on a tank of gas

fun and parts are easy to get too

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...i%20Baja%205b/
      Just sold my 2005 1.8t gti and have many parts left over CLICK FOR PICS OF WHAT I HAVE ---> http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...pl/For%20Sale/

11. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      03-29-2012 12:14 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by VDuBPL View Post
      If I was you i'd buy my baja 5b

it barely breaks
      its cheap to run reg gas and 2 stroke oil mix
      runs for 1.5 hours on a tank of gas

fun and parts are easy to get too

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...i%20Baja%205b/
      My friend has one of those for sale locally, $550. I want it so bad, but my wife would KILL me.

I agree with what MRA3S says about the Slash in the grass. It doesn't go NEARLY as good as my Rustler in the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.