VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My Mark 4 Airride Build...

63K views 444 replies 49 participants last post by  glifahrenheitcameron 
#1 ·
So, figured i finally pull the trigger and get airride. Ive wanted bags for a while now but a lack of funds has always held me back. But now, after a raise at work and getting more hours i feel its time.
Made my first purchase today from bagriders. Got my tank and some extra fittings.

Its a steel 7 gallon tank, and when it comes in, im going to start working on the trunk setup. and making it look nice. Going with like a half/hidden idea. Ive got the picture in my mind :laugh:
As far, as management goes. I plan on the just the basic manual system, with Airlift XL front struts. Just want something simple, and easier to diagnose if anything goes wrong. Just i hear running all the lines could be a pita, but thats what my dad is for. Hopefully it will all go easy, but with my car, ntohing seems to. :(:laugh:
well, that was just my introduction, using this thread for pics, updates, questions and concerns.
Im glad to finally join you guys. And a couple pics so you know what im working with.

and the wheels i just refinished, with new oem 20th skirts

See less See more
#11 ·
thanks man. should look better pretty soon here
Seem like your on the right path for success! I opted to go the manual route as well when i got my air ride. I love it, simple you get the basic workings of the system. Just basic shop class teachings. KISS. (keep it simple stupid)

:thumbup::thumbup::beer:
oh yea, thats exactly what i was thinking too. just the ease and simplicity of the whole system seemed intriguing to me, so thats why i wanted to go with it. I read alot of the manual systems and figured with the price and just how its run, it was for me. But i am also contemplating about running dual compressors, if anyone has an idea on that.
sup kid. well if you need any help my buddy andrew at open road hooked me up big time. i was gonna do the maunal set up and he helped me by putting me with a switch box setup and accuair manifold for about the same price!! and its way easier and easier if you every wanted to upgrade to digital:D
:wave: thanks for the heads up, but im pretty much set on the setup/style i planned on. Even though there are better managements out there, i fell this will do the job. And i will be more then ecstatic!
i would highly recommend going with analog at least instead of manual. even though you can probably pick up a used v1 for cheap.
like i said before, im aware of the better kits, and im not saying i wouldnt ever want a system like that, jsut for right now, i dont want to until i really learn about this stuff. And, i would never buy any component used, i rather buy all new when it comes to something like this.
manual's not that bad, but i do want the new v2. The airlines aren't that bad to run.
yea, thats really all ive heard bad about it, but im sure i tackle it, if not, my dad can :laugh:;)
Why did you go steel over aluminum??
talked to a friend before hand, and he recommended going with the steel over the aluminum just because i will able to tighten down everything fully and not worry about cracking the tank, atleast his words, but i believe him. Just throw a water trap in the front of it and it should be fine.
:wave: bags and bbs

and it looks like my tank and stuff will come in friday, so my first update :D and then should order the rest on the 17th, hopefully to get it all installed by the end of feb., if not, early march. :beer:

#4 ·
sup kid. well if you need any help my buddy andrew at open road hooked me up big time. i was gonna do the maunal set up and he helped me by putting me with a switch box setup and accuair manifold for about the same price!! and its way easier and easier if you every wanted to upgrade to digital:D

#12 ·
#18 ·
I would go with the numatics one. IIRC it is smaller than the other.
hmmm... ill have to check, if i have any clearance issues, which i dont think iwill. then i might go with the smaller.
The SMC watertraps haven't given me any trouble when I used them on my last car. I have heard about a few leaks from the pneumatics ones but not tons. Personally I would go for the 3/8" SMC one. The 1/2" is actually fairly large, the plus side being that it holds a lot of water, minus side is that it takes up valuable room and limits where you can place it because it is quite tall. Just get the 3/8" and use a reducer coupling to mount it directly off the side of the tank.

As for your friend saying that the aluminum ones can't be fully bolted down......not sure what he was smoking when he was saying that lol. I personally prefer a non-rusting tank over a possiblity of rust in my expensive valves :thumbup:
Oh thanks for all the information. i appreciate it. I knew i came in here for a reason :laugh: as far as the tank, im not sure if my friend was completely telling the truth or just a version of, but something im usually swayed by is others past experience, he has the same thing i am going with and when i asked him about it, he said jut go with the steel. To me, its not a big deal. Ive just read to empty the water traps out about once a month and (drain the tank??). and hopefully not much rust will build up. plus in MI, our summers arent that humid.
There are certain things that I would buy used for air. Bags I wouldn't. And certain managements I wouldn't but because of the v2 coming out a lot of people are dumping the v1 and going with the v2 so parts are a lot cheaper. If I was doing a budget air build I would go with the v1. And as for learning how it works just installing it yourself will do that. I went into airride very little knowledge other than playing with my buddies. The kid whos air I installed for him is going to have no clue how it works or how to trouble shoot it if there is a problem because he spent the whole install texting his buddies the whole time.
Yes, that totally makes sense. I, as well as most out there, probably want to have an idea of how everything works, which now, i am becoming a lot more informed. With just reading up and different research. I rather go with the manual, just for the ease and simplicity.

And i found a guide of bagriders which is what im going to base mine off of, to me this setup looks very simple. I plan on having the switches and gauges somewhere in between the armrest, and the center console. Trust me, ill make it look good :D

http://bagriders.com/modlab/tech/plumbing diagrams/BR_MANUAL_SETUP.pdf

and my chicken scratch, just wanted to get my ideas out of my head on paper.

#17 ·
There are certain things that I would buy used for air. Bags I wouldn't. And certain managements I wouldn't but because of the v2 coming out a lot of people are dumping the v1 and going with the v2 so parts are a lot cheaper. If I was doing a budget air build I would go with the v1. And as for learning how it works just installing it yourself will do that. I went into airride very little knowledge other than playing with my buddies. The kid whos air I installed for him is going to have no clue how it works or how to trouble shoot it if there is a problem because he spent the whole install texting his buddies the whole time.

#49 ·
that should serve you fine. you probably will need random fitting depending on how you mount everything.

I would run duals. To fill my 5 gal tank from 0 takes quite a bit. But for the most part your tank shouldn't get that low unless you drain it or you are playing around too much. If I ever get around to it I'm going to upgrade to duals
I'm running dual 380's so cal stance was doing a deal where i got the second one free.
oh alright. but ill just run a WT jut because i will be going with a steel tank, for only 30.00, better safe then sorry
i have a steel tank and no trap haha. ill probably add one when i get my v2.

and when you run dual comps you dont necessarily need two water traps, you can use some fittings to go from the braided line to regular airline and then use a Y Ptc to turn the two lines into one and then into the tank where you water trap would be mounted.

#63 ·
^
pretty much the moment i typed that the ups guy showed up! what luck. got some pics, im officially pumped. The rest should be ordered on monday like i said above.
pics.

dont mind the dirty trunk, before now it didnt matter :p

and im going to wait to build the frame and setup until my compressors and WTs come in, now that i decided to do dual compressors, the fitment is going to be real tight it looks like. Might have to bring it forward some, or possibly have it going vertical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.