Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mark 4 Airride Build...

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      2.0 twin turbo 9 speed jetta
      02-08-2012 02:50 PM #1
      So, figured i finally pull the trigger and get airride. Ive wanted bags for a while now but a lack of funds has always held me back. But now, after a raise at work and getting more hours i feel its time.
      Made my first purchase today from bagriders. Got my tank and some extra fittings.

Its a steel 7 gallon tank, and when it comes in, im going to start working on the trunk setup. and making it look nice. Going with like a half/hidden idea. Ive got the picture in my mind
      As far, as management goes. I plan on the just the basic manual system, with Airlift XL front struts. Just want something simple, and easier to diagnose if anything goes wrong. Just i hear running all the lines could be a pita, but thats what my dad is for. Hopefully it will all go easy, but with my car, ntohing seems to.
      well, that was just my introduction, using this thread for pics, updates, questions and concerns.
      Im glad to finally join you guys. And a couple pics so you know what im working with.

and the wheels i just refinished, with new oem 20th skirts

Vehicles
      Mk4 GLI, B6 Avant
      02-08-2012 02:57 PM #2
      welcome dude. good lookin car!

Vehicles
      03 jetta wagon.
      02-08-2012 04:24 PM #3
      Seem like your on the right path for success! I opted to go the manual route as well when i got my air ride. I love it, simple you get the basic workings of the system. Just basic shop class teachings. KISS. (keep it simple stupid)

Vehicles
      SLAM.TUCK.POKE.DOPE.
      02-08-2012 08:38 PM #4
      sup kid. well if you need any help my buddy andrew at open road hooked me up big time. i was gonna do the maunal set up and he helped me by putting me with a switch box setup and accuair manifold for about the same price!! and its way easier and easier if you every wanted to upgrade to digital
      Swagga so nice i should notorize it

instagram: @chaoz_

5. Banned
      Vehicles
      bagged red ford lightening
      02-08-2012 10:30 PM #5
      i would highly recommend going with analog at least instead of manual. even though you can probably pick up a used v1 for cheap.

02-08-2012 11:08 PM #6
      manual's not that bad, but i do want the new v2. The airlines aren't that bad to run.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      My Flickr
      Instagram: @twilliams83

7. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 12:09 PM #7
      There are certain things that I would buy used for air. Bags I wouldn't. And certain managements I wouldn't but because of the v2 coming out a lot of people are dumping the v1 and going with the v2 so parts are a lot cheaper. If I was doing a budget air build I would go with the v1. And as for learning how it works just installing it yourself will do that. I went into airride very little knowledge other than playing with my buddies. The kid whos air I installed for him is going to have no clue how it works or how to trouble shoot it if there is a problem because he spent the whole install texting his buddies the whole time.

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 01:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      I would go with the numatics one. IIRC it is smaller than the other.
      hmmm... ill have to check, if i have any clearance issues, which i dont think iwill. then i might go with the smaller.
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      The SMC watertraps haven't given me any trouble when I used them on my last car. I have heard about a few leaks from the pneumatics ones but not tons. Personally I would go for the 3/8" SMC one. The 1/2" is actually fairly large, the plus side being that it holds a lot of water, minus side is that it takes up valuable room and limits where you can place it because it is quite tall. Just get the 3/8" and use a reducer coupling to mount it directly off the side of the tank.

As for your friend saying that the aluminum ones can't be fully bolted down......not sure what he was smoking when he was saying that lol. I personally prefer a non-rusting tank over a possiblity of rust in my expensive valves
      Oh thanks for all the information. i appreciate it. I knew i came in here for a reason as far as the tank, im not sure if my friend was completely telling the truth or just a version of, but something im usually swayed by is others past experience, he has the same thing i am going with and when i asked him about it, he said jut go with the steel. To me, its not a big deal. Ive just read to empty the water traps out about once a month and (drain the tank??). and hopefully not much rust will build up. plus in MI, our summers arent that humid.
      Quote Originally Posted by Shoopz View Post
      There are certain things that I would buy used for air. Bags I wouldn't. And certain managements I wouldn't but because of the v2 coming out a lot of people are dumping the v1 and going with the v2 so parts are a lot cheaper. If I was doing a budget air build I would go with the v1. And as for learning how it works just installing it yourself will do that. I went into airride very little knowledge other than playing with my buddies. The kid whos air I installed for him is going to have no clue how it works or how to trouble shoot it if there is a problem because he spent the whole install texting his buddies the whole time.
      Yes, that totally makes sense. I, as well as most out there, probably want to have an idea of how everything works, which now, i am becoming a lot more informed. With just reading up and different research. I rather go with the manual, just for the ease and simplicity.

And i found a guide of bagriders which is what im going to base mine off of, to me this setup looks very simple. I plan on having the switches and gauges somewhere in between the armrest, and the center console. Trust me, ill make it look good

http://bagriders.com/modlab/tech/plu...NUAL_SETUP.pdf

and my chicken scratch, just wanted to get my ideas out of my head on paper.

02-09-2012 02:53 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jettaaddictionII View Post
      Looks like a decent plan. I would definitely add at least a drain cock into the bottom fitting in the tank for easy draining. Also the lines going to the paddle valves don't need to be the same length, the raise time will be different from the front and back due to different bag diameters anyways

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 03:14 PM #10
      Looks like a decent plan. I would definitely add at least a drain cock into the bottom fitting in the tank for easy draining. Also the lines going to the paddle valves don't need to be the same length, the raise time will be different from the front and back due to different bag diameters anyways
      yea. its just what i had imagined. im surprised alittle you can read my writing. but a drain ****, like this http://bagriders.com/modlab/products/DRAIN-****.html . You would rather go with that other then plugging the bottom. How exactly do those work and how often should the tank be drained? like once a month? and thanks for that.i want sure, but i thought it would make sense to have them the same length, but its go to know its not necessary. .

02-09-2012 03:48 PM #11
      yea. its just what i had imagined. im surprised alittle you can read my writing. but a drain ****, like this http://bagriders.com/modlab/products/DRAIN-****.html . You would rather go with that other then plugging the bottom. How exactly do those work and how often should the tank be drained? like once a month? and thanks for that.i want sure, but i thought it would make sense to have them the same length, but its go to know its not necessary. .
      Haha it definitely is chicken scratch, but mine looks very similar

I would definitely do this instead of just a plug. With a plug you will need to seal the threads everytime. Also with them being NPT threads they are tapered in, the more you take the fitting in and out the more the taper will wear out and pretty soon the plug will go all the way in and then it won't seal anymore. With a drain **** it has a backseating o-ring and straight threads so it can be opened and closed without any wearing out. Plus it doesn't require a wrench since it has a wingnut shape, pretty much a no-brainer

And i would empty it every week or so with a steel tank to stop all buildup of water in the tank. It depends on the moisture in the air where you live though so just do it often enough to prevent lots of sitting water. Plus with a draincock you can also drain just the water and then close it back up really quickly to keep the tank pressurized, so it is far easier to drain the tank

02-09-2012 03:34 PM #12
      With my manual setup im not running a watertrap but i am running a drain clock whick your kit will come with. Ive drained my tank twice and got like 2 drops of water each time, but i live in socal so its pretty dry.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      My Flickr
      Instagram: @twilliams83

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 03:50 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilliams83 View Post
      With my manual setup im not running a watertrap but i am running a drain clock whick your kit will come with. Ive drained my tank twice and got like 2 drops of water each time, but i live in socal so its pretty dry.
      oh alright. but ill just run a WT jut because i will be going with a steel tank, for only 30.00, better safe then sorry

02-09-2012 03:52 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilliams83 View Post
      He is ordering his piece by piece

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:02 PM #15
      ** this is what i plan on ordering for people wondering **

http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...ANAGEMENT.html

16. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:00 PM #16
      What are you doing for the rear bags?

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:01 PM #17
      He is ordering his piece by piece
      sorta
      What are you doing for the rear bags?
      Air lift performance style bags.

18. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:03 PM #18
      I would run duals. To fill my 5 gal tank from 0 takes quite a bit. But for the most part your tank shouldn't get that low unless you drain it or you are playing around too much. If I ever get around to it I'm going to upgrade to duals

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:04 PM #19
      I would run duals. To fill my 5 gal tank from 0 takes quite a bit. But for the most part your tank shouldn't get that low unless you drain it or you are playing around too much. If I ever get around to it I'm going to upgrade to duals
      ya, thats what i was thinking too. just to help speed up the process alittle.

20. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:04 PM #20
      sorta

Air lift performance style bags.
      Im on the fence on these. They don't go as low as others. But with trimming they can. Or for 200 more get bag yard rears. I might just shell out the extra cash.

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:05 PM #21
      Im on the fence on these. They don't go as low as others. But with trimming they can. Or for 200 more get bag yard rears. I might just shell out the extra cash.
      Have you gotten anything yet? Or are you trying to decide like me

22. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:05 PM #22
      ya, thats what i was thinking too. just to help speed up the process alittle.
      Also if for whatever reason one craps out you will always have a backup.

23. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:07 PM #23
      Have you gotten anything yet? Or are you trying to decide like me
      I have my management completely hooked up. Just need bags. But one of my friends has bagyard rears and another has airlifts. For my buddy to get as low as the bagyards took a bit of shaving

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:10 PM #24
      I have my management completely hooked up. Just need bags. But one of my friends has bagyard rears and another has airlifts. For my buddy to get as low as the bagyards took a bit of shaving
      hmm thats something to think about, but my wheels do poke alittle, so i wont be worried about going super low as long as they hit the tire hah

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:48 PM #25
      * i now plan on running dual compressors, probably either the 380c or the 400c. So now this means ill need two watertraps, each up to each compressor. *
      i found a pic of a good idea/set-up

i want all my 'hardware' hidden though

Vehicles
      SLAM.TUCK.POKE.DOPE.
      02-09-2012 04:09 PM #26
      Shaving of what? Case I wanna get low and ill have the air lift rears

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:11 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Chaoz View Post
      probably where it mounts im guessing?

28. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:11 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Chaoz View Post
      When I get out of class I'll ms paint a diagram. Hard to explain but you basically shave the top bracket down.

29. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:12 PM #29
      But even then the bagyard rears are still lower

02-09-2012 04:20 PM #30
      yea, lol. and that was drawn at like 3am

Ok, so the plugs that i will use, i would just plan on using teflon tape to seal the threads, like i do in aquariums at work. That defiantly seems easier to, and i wouldnt want the tank/or anything strip out if i keep removing it. That wouldnt be good. Hopefully too, that the WT will repeal out as most m
      oisture that could possibly get in there, but seeing one a week wouldnt be a big deal, as i wash my car like twice a week lol. and so far, i appreciate all your information. Could i pick your brain on running dual compressors. most likely theyd be 400c's . Is it just a waste, or do you think one will be fine, remember ill have a 7gal tank. I probably wont be screwing with it alot, other then when i jsut get it, so i dont think i would use the compressor alot.
      Running 2 compressors is almost always better than 1. Plain and simple.

Pro's
      Faster fill time
      backup incase 1 compressor fails
      will make your compressors run for less time = less heat produced = lower failure rate

Con's
      More amperage draw on your charging system (battery & alternator)
      A bit more noise produced
      Fittings on tank can sometimes be hard to do depending on the tank style

So up to you, mind you I am running 3 x AZ OB2's so my opinion may be slightly biased

Vehicles
      SLAM.TUCK.POKE.DOPE.
      02-09-2012 04:20 PM #31
      But even then the bagyard rears are still lower
      Ohhh ok

32. Banned
      Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:29 PM #32
      I may actually do two compressors. I'm just not sure if I have to upgrade my wiring.

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 04:35 PM #33
      I may actually do two compressors. I'm just not sure if I have to upgrade my wiring.
      if you would just wire them together, or separate ?

02-09-2012 04:37 PM #34
      Find out the amperage draw from your compressors and multiply this by 12 (for @ voltage rating). This will give you the watt draw of your compressor. Divide this number by 10 (for low voltage shutdown condition of compressors). Multiply by general service factor of 1.15 (generic service factor for compressor start up. This final number will give you the maximum amperage draw of your compressors under worst case circumstances, so you need to design your wiring to this level.

Use the charts below for for this specific companies power wire. I highly recommend their stuff, great flexibility and amazing amperage ratings. Click on the specifications tab to get the amperage rating for 0, 4 and 8 gauge wires, pick one that works for you.

OFC Chart
      http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...odID=KFX0BL-50

CCA Chart
      http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...odID=KCA0BK-50

Vehicles
      SLAM.TUCK.POKE.DOPE.
      02-09-2012 05:12 PM #35
      Any benefit running two compressor? I will only have a 5 gal tank so that should fill pretty quick right?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast