Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Some sort of fuel problem IDK

Vehicles
      Turbo
      02-08-2012 09:45 PM #1
      My car suddenly shuts off like there is no gas and the battery indicator light comes on when driving. This has been happening to me on 1/4 tank above 50mph on the highway since I bought the car. I have full power though, clock is still set and my trip doesn't reset. I have scanned the ECU with my mechanics 4000 dollar scan tool and no codes.

Today I was sitting at a red light and it did the same thing, it has never stalled on me at a red light. So I blamed it on my recent "mods" which includes a muffler delete (don't care for your input so suck it ) and some OEM NGK spark plugs, gapped at 0.027mm - 0.028mm and torqued to 18ftlbs. I figured the spark plugs weren't the issue since my car runs ALOT smoother (PO had Autolites in )

Always happens on 1/4 tank, I have also replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, and 2 coil packs. I still have 105,xxx miles on the original coil packs. I took it to my mechanic and he drove it to 1/4 tank and he said he has no clue what it could be because he works on mostly American cars.

Please help. I can manage but it's getting really annoying.

2. 02-08-2012 10:14 PM #2
      Maybe the next thing to replace would be the fuel pressure regulator. My car exhibited similar symptoms awhile back, (would stall, but had no correlation to fuel level) and it ended up being a bad negative battery cable.

Vehicles
      Turbo
      02-09-2012 01:47 PM #3
      Thanks. I'll see if that works.

Could bad grounds be the problem?

Vehicles
      04 BDF O2M / C5 A6 3.0Q
      02-11-2012 01:16 AM #4
      See how many gallons it takes to fill your tank from 1/4. Maybe your guage is off and you're actually empty :iono:

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Turbo
      02-11-2012 02:40 AM #5
      I'll double check but I doubt it, I replaced the fuel level thingy on the pump just in case and I have already confirmed that I have 1/4 tank when it says 1/4 by looking into the tank whenever I am at that amount.

Also I've been seeing symptoms like this happen to others, VERY rare IMO since I've only read about 2 others having the same problems. I went ahead and dumped some seafoam in the tank and filled her up, gonna suck some into the crank case to see if it cures this problem.

Seems to be battery and fuel related though... I'm stumped really.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      03-13-2012 01:53 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Hecktür View Post
      I'll double check but I doubt it, I replaced the fuel level thingy on the pump just in case and I have already confirmed that I have 1/4 tank when it says 1/4 by looking into the tank whenever I am at that amount.

Also I've been seeing symptoms like this happen to others, VERY rare IMO since I've only read about 2 others having the same problems. I went ahead and dumped some seafoam in the tank and filled her up, gonna suck some into the crank case to see if it cures this problem.

Seems to be battery and fuel related though... I'm stumped really.
      Any luck?? I know you posted in my thread awhile back but we seem to have the same issues. Only thing is I havent replaced my fuel pump or fuel filter. I am going to do the filter this weekend, I also have all new coilpacks, new NGK spark plugs, also only happens when at 1/4 or less of a tank......I thought I was having battery problems but all the weird electrical things like dash lights flickering went away after I found a loose wire going to the fuse box on the battery, yet the stalling still remains.......I also have a fairly new battery, and cleaned all of my grounds under the tray......only thing is to maybe go get an alternator test done...but I don't think its electrical since its only when 1/4 tank or less leads me to think fuel system related. Oh also I have a magnaflow catback so I don't think you're exhaust is an issue.

I'll let you know if I find anything and if you could do the same that'd be great!!
      VR Alliance #38

7. 03-13-2012 03:15 PM #7
      I have the same issue on my 2003. Only happens when fuel is at or below 1/4 tank. Stalls at 60-70mph, but doesnt completely shut off. No CEL's. I never let the fuel go below 1/3 of a tank now & it doesnt do it......

Vehicles
      02.5 24v GLI, 05.5 Jetta 2.5l
      03-14-2012 07:45 AM #8
      Have you guys ever thought about replacing your Level Sender?
      its part of the fuel pump, but can be purchased seperatley...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      Turbo
      03-14-2012 04:09 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jaso028 View Post
      Have you guys ever thought about replacing your Level Sender?
      its part of the fuel pump, but can be purchased seperatley...
      I've purchased about 2 pumps with new senders so it rules the sender out. Only thing I can think of at the moment that would have to do with sensors would be o2 sensors. I plug the thing into Vag-Com after it occurs but no codes. I haven't been down to 1/4 tank in a while but It seems to have gotten better when I seafoamed the intake manifold. Now it only cuts out when the gas light is about to come on. I'm lost.

Vehicles
      Turbo
      03-14-2012 04:27 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Fundaze View Post
      Any luck?? I know you posted in my thread awhile back but we seem to have the same issues. Only thing is I havent replaced my fuel pump or fuel filter. I am going to do the filter this weekend, I also have all new coilpacks, new NGK spark plugs, also only happens when at 1/4 or less of a tank......I thought I was having battery problems but all the weird electrical things like dash lights flickering went away after I found a loose wire going to the fuse box on the battery, yet the stalling still remains.......I also have a fairly new battery, and cleaned all of my grounds under the tray......only thing is to maybe go get an alternator test done...but I don't think its electrical since its only when 1/4 tank or less leads me to think fuel system related. Oh also I have a magnaflow catback so I don't think you're exhaust is an issue.

I'll let you know if I find anything and if you could do the same that'd be great!!
      I did the same exact maintenance as you, my exhaust is different now, I have no muffler.
      Check your brake lights or headlights for dimness, mine seem to dim right before my car cuts out.
      I want to take it to the dealer but I am certain this is fixable by me if I knew the culprit.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      03-21-2012 10:03 PM #11
      GAHH happened today at exactly 1/4 tank.....This is my 3rd or 4th time now. You know its going to happen cuz it starts with loss of throttle reponse, then boom the engine dies and battery light comes one. The car took two tries this time to get it going, with no signs of it being an electrical issue as there was lots of starting power.

It's really annoying not being able to use the last quarter of the tank, and even to just have a problem with the car......This never happened before approx 6months ago. My car just rolled over 100000kms so like 62000 miles so its not like its really old either. I really want to figure this thing out!!!

I read fuel pump relay but my fuel pump primes every time like normal when I open the door or turn the ignition. Can anyone think of anything else that would relate to this happening with less than 1/4 tank???
      VR Alliance #38

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI VR6
      03-22-2012 07:32 AM #12
      GAHH happened today at exactly 1/4 tank.....This is my 3rd or 4th time now. You know its going to happen cuz it starts with loss of throttle reponse, then boom the engine dies and battery light comes one. The car took two tries this time to get it going, with no signs of it being an electrical issue as there was lots of starting power.

It's really annoying not being able to use the last quarter of the tank, and even to just have a problem with the car......This never happened before approx 6months ago. My car just rolled over 100000kms so like 62000 miles so its not like its really old either. I really want to figure this thing out!!!

I read fuel pump relay but my fuel pump primes every time like normal when I open the door or turn the ignition. Can anyone think of anything else that would relate to this happening with less than 1/4 tank???
      I wonder if maybe the 1/4 tank issue is purely coincidental? How far do you typically drive your car each day, and when this happens, how long have you been driving the car? My 03 VR6 is currently in the shop for replacement of the crank position sensor. Apparently it is fouled and when the car gets up to a certain temperature it cuts the sensor out and the car completely shuts down. No CEL's the first time it happened. Not saying it is the case with yours, but it may be something to check. I'm sure I could have changed the sensor myself, but not on the side of the road where the thing died! Also - I forgot to mention; after 5 or so minutes the car would start back up and i could drive more until it got heated up again... hopefully this may help?

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      03-22-2012 11:26 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by euclid View Post
      I wonder if maybe the 1/4 tank issue is purely coincidental? How far do you typically drive your car each day, and when this happens, how long have you been driving the car? My 03 VR6 is currently in the shop for replacement of the crank position sensor. Apparently it is fouled and when the car gets up to a certain temperature it cuts the sensor out and the car completely shuts down. No CEL's the first time it happened. Not saying it is the case with yours, but it may be something to check. I'm sure I could have changed the sensor myself, but not on the side of the road where the thing died! Also - I forgot to mention; after 5 or so minutes the car would start back up and i could drive more until it got heated up again... hopefully this may help?
      Thanks, it is something to look into.....although every time this has happened (4) my gas was under 1/4. I recently drove a 400km drive and had no problems as I just made sure that my gas was above the 1/4 mark. It seems fine everytime I am driving above 1/4. I read somewhere that people were having issues with the car running too lean and similar things were happening, ultimately leading to the intake manifold/shift rod bearings. Only thing is I do not have any CEL's and running too rich should pop up as a CEL? right? The exhaust does smell rich, would running rich have anything related to the 1/4 tank? The two don't pair up to me....
      Last edited by Fundaze; 04-03-2012 at 12:57 AM.
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      Turbo
      03-22-2012 03:25 PM #14
      I don't want to say that I fixed the problem but I didn't notice I had below 1/4 tank for the past week and my car hasn't stalled once on me after I sucked seafoam through the intake manifold. Maybe a dirty FPR is making the engine run too lean and cut off. I don't think the ECU will keep a too lean code whenever it realized that you're not running lean anymore, the only way to catch a code like that would be to plug your VAG-COM in when it happens, not before or after. But I've never plugged it into the car whenever I was driving, last thing I wanna do is mess with the ECU when I going down the highway.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI VR6
      03-23-2012 06:51 AM #15
      Thanks, it is something to look into.....although every time this has happened (4) my gas was under 1/4. I recently drove a 400km drive and had no problems as I just made sure that my gas was above the 1/4 mark. It seems fine everytime I am driving above 1/4. I read somewhere that people were having issues with the car running too lean and similar things were happening, ultimately leading to the intake manifold/shift rod bearings. Only thing is I do not have any CEL's and running too lean should pop up as a CEL? right? The exhaust does smell a little lean, would running lean have anything related to the 1/4 tank? The two don't pair up to me....
      I think I'm probably out of my league on this one, so I don't want to venture any guesses and lead you down the wrong path! I'll just say that, unfortunately, I've had issues with my car that youd think would throw a code and don't right away (e.g. crank position sensor fouled, car died several times on the highway and no code -- eventually the CEL comes on and I pulled the crank code.)

Best of luck to you man... I would be frustrated as hell if I were you!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      03-23-2012 11:21 AM #16
      I don't want to say that I fixed the problem but I didn't notice I had below 1/4 tank for the past week and my car hasn't stalled once on me after I sucked seafoam through the intake manifold. Maybe a dirty FPR is making the engine run too lean and cut off. I don't think the ECU will keep a too lean code whenever it realized that you're not running lean anymore, the only way to catch a code like that would be to plug your VAG-COM in when it happens, not before or after. But I've never plugged it into the car whenever I was driving, last thing I wanna do is mess with the ECU when I going down the highway.
      Thanks! I'll try the seafoam this weekend, fingers crossed it gets better. Did you put any into your oil/gas? I'm due for an oil change so I figure a full cleanout would be good. Also did you just use the vac line at the break booster, if not which line did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by euclid View Post
      I think I'm probably out of my league on this one, so I don't want to venture any guesses and lead you down the wrong path! I'll just say that, unfortunately, I've had issues with my car that youd think would throw a code and don't right away (e.g. crank position sensor fouled, car died several times on the highway and no code -- eventually the CEL comes on and I pulled the crank code.)

Best of luck to you man... I would be frustrated as hell if I were you!

no worries man, thanks for the insight and help, the car runs GREAT when I have more than 1/4 tank so I guess it could be worse.....I'll get this figured out.
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      03-24-2012 01:40 AM #17
      I've purchased about 2 pumps with new senders so it rules the sender out. Only thing I can think of at the moment that would have to do with sensors would be o2 sensors. I plug the thing into Vag-Com after it occurs but no codes. I haven't been down to 1/4 tank in a while but It seems to have gotten better when I seafoamed the intake manifold. Now it only cuts out when the gas light is about to come on. I'm lost.
      I ran a vag scan today and got no activity on my pre-cat O2 sensor, seems like that doesn't correlate to the 1/4 tank ish.......I'm going to seafoam tomorrow, hopefully it fixed it, by the sounds of it that stuff works wonders!
      VR Alliance #38

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 jetta gli vr6
      03-31-2012 03:45 PM #18
      i have a 2002.5 24valve vr6 and i was reading through this fourm and found yours didi it fix the problem beacuse mine is doing the same thing after sitting or running it for awhile it just shuts off like someone turned the key off . if you have any more info it would help me so much thanks

Vehicles
      93' Corrado SLC, 01' Allroad 2.7TT
      03-31-2012 06:53 PM #19
      Mine cuts out after 1/4 tank as well but it will die then kick back in. Sounds like we have the same problem. I replaced the fuel filter and it got better ...now its back to doing the same thing

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
      04' Jetta GLI VR6 - Autotech 2.5" Catback - Magnaflow High flow Cat - United Motorsports Flash
      Eurohangar 2013 - Holland, MI

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      03-31-2012 11:37 PM #20
      I fixed my stuck Tstat, and then ran the car for a test run......cooling issue is fixed, get to a quarter tank and bamm car dies again. Go to start it and it wont turn over. Shes dead right now, had to get it towed and of course its too low to get towed properly, took an hour and a half to get it on the truck with the front bumper off.

I dunno what happened, did my fuel pump die? Doesnt sound like its even priming....... HELP!!!!!

Oh and PS I seafoamed and didn't help
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      04-03-2012 12:55 AM #21
      Bump,

So I got the car towed home, and today I replaced the fuel pump and the relay.......Everything worked fine after this and was all good. I let it idle for a bit and then after that I shut the car off......about 20 mins later I went and started it up and it ran for about 1 minute and shut back off.....now the fuel pump isn't priming again..........

HELP! what is going on!!!? Seems to be no power to the pump, but the pump is new the relay is new and the fuse is fine!
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      Turbo
      04-03-2012 06:05 AM #22
      Sorry I didn't post earlier but yes seafoam is not gonna help with this issue. It helped with the first few tanks no problems at all and then BOOM the 1/4 tank stall happened again and again and againa.

I am sorry to hear about your fuel pump going out. Just remember though when you change a fuel pump it is imperative that you change the filter also, all that gunk that the old one left behind probably went through the new one and killed it.

I wonder if it's a software problem, maybe an ECU flash is needed form the dealer or some aftermarket company like Unitronic or APR. Never know until someone tries. The only thing I haven't replaced mechanically is the fuel pressure regulator.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      04-03-2012 11:09 AM #23
      Sorry I didn't post earlier but yes seafoam is not gonna help with this issue. It helped with the first few tanks no problems at all and then BOOM the 1/4 tank stall happened again and again and againa.

I am sorry to hear about your fuel pump going out. Just remember though when you change a fuel pump it is imperative that you change the filter also, all that gunk that the old one left behind probably went through the new one and killed it.

I wonder if it's a software problem, maybe an ECU flash is needed form the dealer or some aftermarket company like Unitronic or APR. Never know until someone tries. The only thing I haven't replaced mechanically is the fuel pressure regulator.
      Thanks, I did not change the filter because it was just changed a little before this, but maybe that was a mistake......I thought the filter is after the pump.......So even if it was clogged the gas goes through the pump before the filter right?

The gas looked very clean and so did the tank when I took the pump out....GAH I DUNNO WHAT TO DO!
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      04-03-2012 10:43 PM #24
      Okay so I have determined that the new pump and relay are both shot as well.

I did some voltage testing and when I jumper the relay port I get 12volts to the with harness at the pump. When the relay is in I only get 1.7 Volts to the same wires. I then tested the old and new fuel pumps by connecting the positive and negative leads directly to a spare battery I had and there is no power.

Basically the first pump friend, which I think in turn friend the first relay, and then my second pump and relay worked for a brief period and then for the same reason this one has fried, which in turn fried the new relay.

What would be causing my pumps to burn out? I put seafoam in the gas tank about two weeks ago, probably put about 1/2 of the seafoam into a full tank of gas. This is the same gas, the car sat for a week because my thermostat died.

My only thought is that the seafoam dislodged something and clogged the fuel filter and then is frying the pumps. What do you guys think? Also what else will cause a pump to fail?
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      04-08-2012 07:07 PM #25
      Seems as though the brand new VDO pump (OEM) died almost instantly. I have heard many things about the VDO pumps failing and it doesn't seem like there is a good alternative pump to buy. The ground wire between the pump and the sending unit failed within minutes of install on the new pump. I got a new pump from a salvage yard and I also changed out my gas, fuel pump relay, and fuel filter..............everything seems good for now!

I am going to change my O2 sensor sometime this week, so hopefully the quarter tank issues will be over as well!
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      Turbo
      04-10-2012 01:04 PM #26
      Seems as though the brand new VDO pump (OEM) died almost instantly. I have heard many things about the VDO pumps failing and it doesn't seem like there is a good alternative pump to buy. The ground wire between the pump and the sending unit failed within minutes of install on the new pump. I got a new pump from a salvage yard and I also changed out my gas, fuel pump relay, and fuel filter..............everything seems good for now!

I am going to change my O2 sensor sometime this week, so hopefully the quarter tank issues will be over as well!
      If it works keep me informed. I am replacing my FPR soon to see if it solves the 1/4 tank issue.
      Good luck!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6
      05-12-2012 03:36 AM #27
      Problem seems better.......fingers crossed, drove it to about 1/8th with no problems, then I got scared and filled it back up. Things done: New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel pump relay, new O2 sensor (pre-cat). Pretty sure the biggest thing was the new fuel pump as that is what completely failed after my latest 1/4 tank issue happened.
      VR Alliance #38

Vehicles
      Turbo
      05-14-2013 06:35 PM #28
      Problem seems better.......fingers crossed, drove it to about 1/8th with no problems, then I got scared and filled it back up. Things done: New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel pump relay, new O2 sensor (pre-cat). Pretty sure the biggest thing was the new fuel pump as that is what completely failed after my latest 1/4 tank issue happened.
      Old thread is old.

Did all of that solve the issue? Any more 1/4 tank stalls? I never replaced the relay or o2 sensor, I didn't get around to replacing the FPR either. Problem still persists.

Sent from my Bed using your Mom

Vehicles
      03 jetta gli 24v
      05-15-2013 01:27 PM #29
      I had this problem for over a year. Less than 1/4 tank and the power would give out, then just come back all of a sudden. Car died recently, I changed the fuel pump and it has yet to happen.

My .02 cents is that the fuel pump is going bad. (also i read that 1.8Ts also have this problem)

When you change the fuel pump, don't be stingy, get the genuine VW part ($215 at germanautoparts.com)

Vehicles
      Turbo
      05-15-2013 10:35 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by wagen6 View Post
      I had this problem for over a year. Less than 1/4 tank and the power would give out, then just come back all of a sudden. Car died recently, I changed the fuel pump and it has yet to happen.

My .02 cents is that the fuel pump is going bad. (also i read that 1.8Ts also have this problem)

When you change the fuel pump, don't be stingy, get the genuine VW part ($215 at germanautoparts.com)
      I agree don't be stingy.

When fuel pumps go out they go out, there's no warnings aside from being annoyingly loud they just stop. I'm certain its going to happen again to you. Change your relay, it might do the trick.

Sent from my Bed using your Mom

31. 05-16-2013 02:05 AM #31
      I would like to chime in and say that I too am now experiencing the 1/4 tank sputter, die, then restart. BUT....it wasn't until I changed my fuel pump. I bought an aftermarket one from ECS to replace my old one that was reading incorrectly. I'm wondering if this is somehow an aftermarket vs. OEM fuel pump issue.