Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Discrepancy between VW GTI and Audi A3 DSG fluid change intervals.

Vehicles
      06 A3 2.0t
      02-09-2012 03:28 AM #1
      I drive an 06 A3 2.0 FSI.

In my service interval manual it says to change the DSG fluid at 35k and 70k miles and so on.

In the GTI service interval manual it says to change at 40k and 80k miles and so on.

Am I correct in assuming that the A3 and GTI share a common drivetrain with the exact same part numbers for the major components of the engine and transmission?

If so, then why the discrepancy?

I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow(to get my intake flap motor replaced for free! Huzzah extended warranty that Audi is providing on the part) and ask the service people there, but I thought I would get the forums opinion on this.

My DSG fluid change is coming up in about 8k miles (if I were to change it at 70k)
      Also I can assume the fluid change was done on the car at 35k under warranty. But I do not have the service records for the car.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      02-09-2012 12:35 PM #2
      I read one theory elsewhere in this forum that VW extended the DSG change interval to 40K to put it beyond the free maintenance period.

(Disclaimer: This is what I read; it is therefore hearsay, and I make no claim as to the veracity of this theory.)

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      02-12-2012 05:39 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Rico1 View Post
      I read one theory elsewhere in this forum that VW extended the DSG change interval to 40K to put it beyond the free maintenance period.

(Disclaimer: This is what I read; it is therefore hearsay, and I make no claim as to the veracity of this theory.)
      I wouldn't doubt that. I plan on doing mine @ 25-30K. My B6 tiptronic was "lifetime" when the car was new. Four years and 80k miles later I get a letter stating they are changing it to every 40k. So I guess I was due for two trans flushes

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk