Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 allroad - initial impressions

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      06-06-2012 07:24 PM #36
      Well.. it looks like I'm going to have to sell my current car outright as my dealership and I are pretty far apart.

Fortunately it likely won't be an issue as the Sportwagen TDI is a very desirable vehicle here in these parts of the world.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2005 Honda Odyssey, 1999 VW Passat Wagon
      06-06-2012 09:45 PM #37
      Your gas mileage sounds encouraging especially when driving at those speeds. I don't normally drive at 90mph, but 70mph is fairly typical. I was worried that the EPA highway test was equivalent to 55mph so driving faster would make it even worse.

Thanks for the info!

Vehicles
      06-07-2012 01:58 AM #38
      At 75mph the engine is loafing at 1800rpms in 8th gear. Amazing.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 02:34 AM #39
      This might be the wrong thread to ask this, but I was wondering what made you decide to trade in your Jetta Sportwagen TDI for the allroad.

I have a 99 Passat wagon and I'm debating between getting a fuel efficient wagon like the Jetta Sportwagen or a more upscale wagon like the allroad. Or an Acura TSX wagon which is priced in between the two. Some of you may not like the Acura, but compared to my 99 Passat it should still get better acceleration and mileage.

The 99 Passat runs ok, but uses up oil like crazy.

Vehicles
      06-07-2012 01:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by kondoa View Post
      This might be the wrong thread to ask this, but I was wondering what made you decide to trade in your Jetta Sportwagen TDI for the allroad.

I have a 99 Passat wagon and I'm debating between getting a fuel efficient wagon like the Jetta Sportwagen or a more upscale wagon like the allroad. Or an Acura TSX wagon which is priced in between the two. Some of you may not like the Acura, but compared to my 99 Passat it should still get better acceleration and mileage.

The 99 Passat runs ok, but uses up oil like crazy.
      The JSW was perfect for us as a family of three. My wife and I didnt think we were going to be able to have a second child. Then... last August.... wife got pregnant.

The allroad is 9-inches longer, three inches wider and more seat room in the back. Couple that with Quattro... It is all the benefits of an SUV without a huge hit in the gas mileage department. Plus... the allroad is bad-ass!!!!!!

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 04:02 PM #41
      Congratulations! I'm in the same boat/car. I also have two kids.

I agree. The allroad looks sweet! Now I just need to convince myself to spend the money. With options (pre+ & nav), tax, and license it will cost close to $50K.

7. 06-07-2012 04:40 PM #42
      Congratulations! I'm in the same boat/car. I also have two kids.

I agree. The allroad looks sweet! Now I just need to convince myself to spend the money. With options (pre+ & nav), tax, and license it will cost close to $50K.
      my local dealer just got an allroad in stock and it's in the $50k+ range. The all-road is nice and all, but at $50k, you're playing in E-classe wagon territory, and those are bigger, faster, nicer, and have 3rd row seating.

Vehicles
      06-07-2012 04:58 PM #43
      Premium Plus --- with MMI+Nav and the Audi Key system is 48K.

I'm not getting NAV or the Audi key. Mine is just over 43k sticker.

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      06-07-2012 10:09 PM #44
      The main reason I'm interested in the NAV package is for the rear view camera.
      It seems as that is standard on the Mercedes E350 wagon, but checking on Edmunds it looks as if the price is around $55K ("True Market Value") if I select just the standard package and metallic paint job.

MSRP on an allroad with NAV & matching full paint job is around $48K. Maybe if I wait awhile I can get a price some where between MSRP and invoice ($45K).

10. 06-08-2012 07:43 AM #45
      The main reason I'm interested in the NAV package is for the rear view camera.
      It seems as that is standard on the Mercedes E350 wagon, but checking on Edmunds it looks as if the price is around $55K ("True Market Value") if I select just the standard package and metallic paint job.

MSRP on an allroad with NAV & matching full paint job is around $48K. Maybe if I wait awhile I can get a price some where between MSRP and invoice ($45K).
      I didn't say it was cheaper, just that it was in the same territory.

If you wanted cheaper, then look at the Q5, which ironically is also more powerful, since it's the first Audi we'll get with the revised 2.0T, and it looks like we'll be getting the 3.0 TDI for it, too.

don't get me wrong here, I love the allroad, but I just don't understand how Audi expects to sell any of them when they go undercutting the car with another Audi model right on the same showroom floor.
      Last edited by FractureCritical; 06-08-2012 at 07:53 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      78 & 81 Scirocco, 92 T4, 08 A3
      07-19-2012 11:00 PM #46
      Just saw one of these at the dealer. Looks pretty hot. I am in complete agreement with other earlier posts. No third pedal, no business from me. I simply don't understand why I can't order an Audi wagon with a manual transmission.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      07-20-2012 09:31 AM #47
      I'm bummed about the lack of stick shift as well. I wonder what % of drivers even know how to drive a manual in the US.
      I grew up in the rural south and mt is what everyone first learned on. Now I'm in NE where it seems like only enthusiasts know how to row their own gears. Maybe learning stick helps make enthusiasts??
      In any case, I suppose car makers go with what sells. Still, the ar strikes me more as an enthusiasts ride than grocery getter.

Vehicles
      2014 BMW Touring / Sport Line
      07-25-2012 09:27 AM #48
      Manual drivers are a endangered species. The NA allroad market is likely to be very small and out of that 'select' group, the percent that would rock the stick probably not enough to tickle the bean counters at Audi.

I never wanted an auto until I took a few trips that involved a whole bunch of interstate stop n' go driving... as in many hours of it. Once I spent about three or more hours trying to cross Toronto in a manual Audi. It was back and forth between first and stop. My poor clutch was being worked the entire time. The outcome for me was that I became agnostic.

Byron

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07-28-2012 03:39 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by SoSuMi View Post
      Manual drivers are a endangered species. The NA allroad market is likely to be very small and out of that 'select' group, the percent that would rock the stick probably not enough to tickle the bean counters at Audi.

I never wanted an auto until I took a few trips that involved a whole bunch of interstate stop n' go driving... as in many hours of it. Once I spent about three or more hours trying to cross Toronto in a manual Audi. It was back and forth between first and stop. My poor clutch was being worked the entire time. The outcome for me was that I became agnostic.
      I'm with you on the pita factor of city driving a stick. I'm in Boston and sometimes the mt wears on me after miles of stop n go traffic.

laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      07-29-2012 06:16 PM #50
      My wife and I drove a new allroad yesterday, back to back with a 2.0 Q5. It has some pep to it for sure, APR flash will make it a blast. My have to trade in the Golf soon
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

16. Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2012 07:49 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v View Post
      My wife and I drove a new allroad yesterday, back to back with a 2.0 Q5. It has some pep to it for sure, APR flash will make it a blast. My have to trade in the Golf soon
      What are your impressions compared to the Q5?

laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      07-31-2012 11:55 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      What are your impressions compared to the Q5?
      The allroad had a lot more pep taking off from a stop or when pulling out to pass traffic (which is understandable due to the weight but you REALLY notice it). A stage 1 flash would make it a hoot!
      My wife made an astute observation after about 2 minutes in the Q5: "it (interior design) feels old.. like I am driving my car ('06 3.2 A4 Avant)". The dash layout and placement of controls is very similar to the A4.
      With the allroad drivers seat adjusted comfortably for me (6'2") my wife (5'9") was able to sit in the backseat behind me - something that wasn't possible in Q.

We do like the Q5, don't get me wrong, but the porkiness and less interior space are aspects that push us towards the allroad - at this time.
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12