Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2011 TDI Jetta questions.

1. 02-11-2012 10:56 PM #1
      New here and dont know how to post a picture. Under the front of my 2011 TDI Jetta, right behind the cooling fans, there is large black plastic cap, looks kind of like an oil filter cap, is there something in there i need to know about?

Also, do i have a cabin air filter?

How far do you guys recommend going on oil changes, im not going by the book 10k..hahaha? Ive changed it twice so far, at 4500 and at 11k, which is were im at now. What about the transmission, mix city and hwy driving.

Cant go to dealer as im running straight 2.5" pipe off the turbo back to the factory muffler.

THANKS!!!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      02-16-2012 02:53 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tdi View Post
      New here and dont know how to post a picture. Under the front of my 2011 TDI Jetta, right behind the cooling fans, 1. there is large black plastic cap, looks kind of like an oil filter cap, is there something in there i need to know about?

2. Also, do i have a cabin air filter?

3. How far do you guys recommend going on oil changes, im not going by the book 10k..hahaha? Ive changed it twice so far, at 4500 and at 11k, which is were im at now. 4. What about the transmission, mix city and hwy driving.

Cant go to dealer as im running straight 2.5" pipe off the turbo back to the factory muffler.

THANKS!!!
      1. That is your oil filter canister. Your engine uses a cartridge-type oil filter.

2. Yes. It's above the front passenger's toes. To get to it, there's a rectangular cover that slides one way to open. You can then pull the filter out. The new one can be a little tricky to get back in there. The "notch" goes to the right, IIRC.

3. 10,000 miles. Some very smart people in Germany designed this engine and specced the oil change interval and oil itself. It has been proven multiple times by Used Oil Analyses done by professional labs that 10,000 miles using the CORRECT 507.00 5w30 oil is perfectly SAFE for a CR-TDI. There's are literally ten of thousands of TDIs out there that have been receiving 10k mile oil changes for their entire lives. Unless you live in a harsh environment or do purely short trips, changing the oil more frequently is a waste of money.

4. What transmission do you have? If it's a manual, go 100k and change it out then. If it's the DSG, change it every 40k as the manual instructs you.

3. 02-16-2012 10:39 PM #3
      I know where the oil filter is.. The black plastic cap is under the car, right behind the cooling fans, It looks almost the same as the oil filter cap.

Being im running straight exhaust, is there a better oil I can run in the car since I dont need the ESP oil? Thinking about using Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel the next oil change, its the same price as ESP 507, but Ive heard its even better..

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      02-17-2012 09:44 AM #4
      Ok, I must have misread it. The one underneath is a cap holding the oil cooler assembly on. It should be directly under the cap.

I think you'd be OK sticking with the 507 5w30. Do you have a DPF-delete tune?

If I were to use a different oil in my '10, I'd use a 5w40 with M-B spec 229.51. The 507 5w30s all have the 229.51 spec, so it seems highly likely that the 5w40 229.51 oil would be adequate. I don't know if I'd want to go "backwards" with oil.

5. 02-18-2012 03:02 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by OttoSchultz View Post
      Do you have a DPF-delete tune? .
      Yes Sir.

6. 02-23-2012 12:03 AM #6
      Bobby

I have been running the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 oil, mentioned above, in my '09 for about 80,000 miles.

The critical parameter on the 507 oil spec is the SAPS content. The MB spec allows for 0.8% SAPS, but the FM oil has 0.6% just like all 507 oils. But as you noted, with the DPF removed, this should no longer be any concern for you.

I would think a 505.01 compliant oil might be better for DPF deleted cars than the 507. Given the extreme conditions on the cam lobes in the PD cars, I don't see how that oil could not produce lower wear than the "additive challenged" 507 oil.

Tim

Vehicles
      '11 Avant S-line, previous A3 TDI
      02-23-2012 02:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by tarbe View Post
      Bobby

I have been running the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 oil, mentioned above, in my '09 for about 80,000 miles.

Tim
      Now that's what i call an oil change interval!

carry on...