Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A very technical build - PART II

02-17-2012 04:13 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackRadon View Post
      I must admit when it comes to wiring/electronic' i just almost freeze up and don't even know where to start. Its kinda hard to explain the feeling but its so damn stupid! That funk button idea is great! Can't wait for some more progress
      Well if you ever have any questions let me know and i would be more than willing to help ya out

Quote Originally Posted by Will@BagRiders View Post
      Looking good
      Thanks Will, hopefully i get more work on it done soon

In other news I got a 20% raise at work plus a big bonus so wheels got ordered
      Not getting the 9.5 Miro's like i originally anticipated, going for something a bit more classy and a bit less showy. And only a select few people know what wheels they are so no spreading the word around

02-17-2012 07:40 PM #37
      Figured this is an appropriate picture for the build

02-21-2012 12:32 AM #38
      Instead of working on the airride this weekend i did a few "supporting mods" and got rid of the stock radio for a head unit from my old jetta, and old astro van, however it still works. Circa ~1998

Airride frame is going to get mounted this week, as well as a bit of wiring

4. Junior Member
      02-21-2012 08:31 PM #39
      best write up ever! i love to see planning with such organization, it definitely makes me feel inspired to get started on my build. and what do you plan on using to protect the airlines from the harsh canadian winters?
      Last edited by streetuner; 02-21-2012 at 08:33 PM.

02-21-2012 10:16 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by streetuner View Post
      best write up ever! i love to see planning with such organization, it definitely makes me feel inspired to get started on my build. and what do you plan on using to protect the airlines from the harsh canadian winters?
      For winter protection i am going to run the airlines tucked underneath the car to the front right beside the other lines that run in between the frame rails, also run wire loom around the whole thing to add cushion and protection. Similar to what i did in the rears last time

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Audi S4 , 2004 Chevy Avalanche
      02-22-2012 08:44 AM #41
      in for this as i am installing elevel in march.. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use 2 x 4s or hevy duty stuff in a trnk install cus if you do get in an eaccident your whole trunk set up is getting pushed into your rear seat and used something elseo so it woud break easy but i cannot remember.. anyone hear of something liek this happening?
      http://www.lowbuds.com/
      I do custom trunk setups, false floor, powder coating, media blasting, polishing, custom carbon fiber parts, custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosures, wheels repair/assembly.

PM me with what you have in mind and we can make it happen!

02-22-2012 09:40 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by msheehan View Post
      in for this as i am installing elevel in march.. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use 2 x 4s or hevy duty stuff in a trnk install cus if you do get in an eaccident your whole trunk set up is getting pushed into your rear seat and used something elseo so it woud break easy but i cannot remember.. anyone hear of something liek this happening?

Honestly it's not going to happen. I have heard of this before but i think it is just garbage, the way the seats are designed they are almost bulletproof (i exaggerate of course). What if you just had a 50lb object sitting in the trunk rolling around loose? What would actually do damage, that or a wooden frame that is snugly fitted inside the trunk with an airtank tightly bolted to it

Again i think that people just say stuff like this to stir up a ruckus, a 2x4 frame that is bolted or snugly fitted in your trunk is not going to do squat compared to a loose object rolling around.

But thanks for the bump!

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 2.0 16V, 1983 GTI 1.8 8V
      02-22-2012 09:53 PM #43
      Lookin' pretty good so far. Hope this turns out to b what you really want.
      18 with a bagged Mk2... Pretty sure I'm the only one at my school with bags...

02-23-2012 07:33 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDaniels View Post
      Lookin' pretty good so far. Hope this turns out to b what you really want.
      Should be

MINI UPDATE

Got my water traps on shut off valve. Shut off valve will be extremely handy because with the e-level setup if you relieve pressure from the air manifold the car lowers itself and airs out the bags too. This way i can empty my water traps and drain my 3 gallon tank without having to lose all of my air. This way it is also quicker to get back up to full pressure (not that it will take long anyways)

I am again running flex airlines directly off of the compressor. IMO the OB2 compressors don't get hot enough to do any damage to the airline, if it happens in the future i will worry about it at that point.

Everything is almost ready to install, just have to get quick disconnects for the wiring harnesses of the compressors so that they can be easily detached from the relays and its going in

JIC-FNPT adapter, then MNPT-PTC adapter, all 1/2"

All 3 compressors tee together and lead into this one water trap on the side of the tank. 1/2"PTC-3/8"MNPT adapter

Outlet from 3 gallon tank to 5 gallon tank

03-02-2012 09:43 PM #45
      Crappy pic but got the frame in and it fits snug as a bug in a rug. Just perfect size for a trunk wheel well, i can see someone running just this under the floor setup and having room towards the back from the 3 gallon tank to do the manifold for a 2" raised floor setup

Vehicles
      MK4 Golf TDI
      03-02-2012 09:59 PM #46
      Again love the frame compressor mount, very well designed

great idea on the shut off valve, I've been thinking about doing it, I'll probably use a flow control for that since i will have some spare lying around, thanks again !
      BIODiesel Powered | MKx Channel VW/Audi Videos United
      MKIV Forum User Guide | Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by dele
      The guys on coils can pull off their own Airless pride thread cos they clearly are the underdogs in the air/static debate, kinda like the equality movement for women.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      mk4 Jetta 20v fun car (sold) ~ mk3 DE GTI VR6 fun car ~ mk3 Jetta 8v daily ~
      03-02-2012 10:49 PM #47
      just checked out your old build mainly just scrolling for pics haha looks good but new build looks better. sorry to hear about the old car but new ride must be nice. will be checking this for updates every now and again
      603.966.8321 Jon
      IG: JON369
      Quote Originally Posted by Ajlal24 View Post
      I'm a firm believer in not making your daily a hot rod, because once things start to break, you're going to be riding your bike to work!

Vehicles
      low 18t
      03-03-2012 12:57 AM #48
      good **** dude!! can't wait to see it finished
      Gravy

instagram @furr21

Vehicles
      Candy White mk3
      03-03-2012 10:55 AM #49

inspirational
      #Nosuchluck

Vehicles
      MK4 Golf TDI
      03-03-2012 02:18 PM #50
      BTW i read somewhere that your compressor was super quiet, barely hear them at idle due to having sound barrier deadening material, could you show the coverage and how/where it's laying ?

The guys on coils can pull off their own Airless pride thread cos they clearly are the underdogs in the air/static debate, kinda like the equality movement for women.

03-03-2012 06:52 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by kilimats View Post
      BTW i read somewhere that your compressor was super quiet, barely hear them at idle due to having sound barrier deadening material, could you show the coverage and how/where it's laying ?
      I can do you up a few sketches and take a few pics tomorrow. I am doing the vibration isolation material tomorrow (kinda like your second skin stuff) and then I am doing the b-quiet vcomp airborne sound absorbing material when the false floor gets constructed.

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      03-03-2012 07:55 PM #52
      That shut off valve was a great idea. I'm definitely stealing that one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance

Vehicles
      MK4 Golf TDI
      03-03-2012 09:23 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      I can do you up a few sketches and take a few pics tomorrow. I am doing the vibration isolation material tomorrow (kinda like your second skin stuff) and then I am doing the b-quiet vcomp airborne sound absorbing material when the false floor gets constructed.
      I've always had higher expectation for vibration deadening material, always expected to hear the difference instantly but it has always been very subtle, I just got some sound barier from second skin (luxury liner, not PRO) and will encapsulate the compressor with it leaving just enough room to avoid overheating, hopefully this will make a night and day diff. Cant wait to see how you complete your setup

03-07-2012 12:23 PM #54
      Sorry for taking my sweet time getting back to you Matt, but here is my ultimate sound proofing plan. The b-quiet ultimate vibration absorbing on the bottom of the whole trunk with the following:

**Scale: NTS (AKA take your own measurements you lazy a$$)
      Last edited by MechEngg; 03-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      03-07-2012 12:44 PM #55
      Not to scale, do not want

03-07-2012 01:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      Not to scale, do not want
      fixed

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 01:13 PM #57
      Awesome

03-07-2012 04:15 PM #58
      Just when i thought you were crazy a guy on air dociety started a build uding 4 ob2
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      My Flickr
      Instagram: @twilliams83

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 04:16 PM #59
      At this point I feel like we would be better served with a large motor driven compressor... FOUR OBD2's?!?!

Vehicles
      MK4 Golf TDI
      03-10-2012 04:04 PM #60
      Sorry for taking my sweet time getting back to you Matt, but here is my ultimate sound proofing plan. The b-quiet ultimate vibration absorbing on the bottom of the whole trunk with the following:

**Scale: NTS (AKA take your own measurements you lazy a$$)
      thx for sharing the plan, cant wiat to see this pictured and in video ?

03-18-2012 07:24 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilliams83 View Post
      Just when i thought you were crazy a guy on air dociety started a build uding 4 ob2
      I was going to do 4 of them but took a few measurements and it would have been too tight a fit for my liking. If you got the space then go for it

Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      At this point I feel like we would be better served with a large motor driven compressor... FOUR OBD2's?!?!
      I haven't seen an EDC for a 1.8t yet but i'm sure something could be rigged up. We just have too tight an engine bay for it

Quote Originally Posted by kilimats View Post
      thx for sharing the plan, cant wiat to see this pictured and in video ?
      Picture you say? Well this is the start of the plans

Badly in need of a drop but other than that it is looking just how i envisioned

Vehicles
      hoopty on air
      03-18-2012 08:42 PM #62
      Is that the rear deck lid in the 2nd to last pic? Does it cut down alot on noise?
      Insert witty quote

03-18-2012 08:48 PM #63
      Yes it is the rear deck and it makes a night and day difference. There are basically 2 paths for soundwaves to get from the trunk to the passenger compartment in a jetta, 1 is the back seats (which are pretty darn good at absorbing sound waves) and the think rear deck. It makes a killer difference and i would HIGHLY recommend it to anybody with a jetta! On a golf you can do the same with your rear flip lid but you might need to reinforce the string pulls because this vcomp is pretty heavy
      http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html

Vehicles
      hoopty on air
      03-18-2012 08:57 PM #64
      I might just put a few strips of the vcomp stuff on the deck lid to stop vibrations from tha thump in trunk. I will be vcomping the rest of the trunk though.
      Insert witty quote

03-18-2012 11:44 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Niagara_V_Dub View Post
      I might just put a few strips of the vcomp stuff on the deck lid to stop vibrations from tha thump in trunk. I will be vcomping the rest of the trunk though.
      To stop vibrations use the b-quiet ultimate (dynamat knock off for less than half price). The vcomp stuff is for eliminating airborne sounds. So use the dynamat for all of the sheet metal around the compressor(s) and then use the vcomp between you and the compressors

31. 03-19-2012 09:48 AM #66
      Welcome to the dark side of road noise reduction, my friend.

Build is looking great.

Pro tips to those that just came to this thread:

"Deadener" (like Dynamat) is for VIBRATION only, and won't work well (or at all) with stopping airborne noise. IT WILL help reduce rattles.

"Sound proofer", like the V-Comp composite, is for AIRBORNE noise (road/engine/tire noise, etc.). The open cell foam scatters sound waves due to it's porous surface, and the heavy vinyl does it's best to keep that scattered sound away from your ears.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but it'll save you all money and heartache in the end.

By the way, use this adhesive if you want the VComp (or carpet, vinyl, etc.) to stay put forever.
      Last edited by John Reid; 03-19-2012 at 09:52 AM.

03-19-2012 11:10 AM #67
      very interesting... ive been toying with two ideas.. a better drainage system for my tank and to quiet her down.. because she is loud.. doesnt bother me much because i dont play around much and the compressor is on maybe 1 minute if so much... but.. good **** here

03-19-2012 12:37 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyb2580 View Post
      very interesting... ive been toying with two ideas.. a better drainage system for my tank and to quiet her down.. because she is loud.. doesnt bother me much because i dont play around much and the compressor is on maybe 1 minute if so much... but.. good **** here
      Yeah the drain valve I have on the bottom of the tank will be fed to outside the car. Great idea to empty water condensate from the buffer tank because it acts like a giant water trap
      What compressor and tank are you running to get a 1 minute fill time? Must be an OB2 with a 3 gallon I bet

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      03-19-2012 12:40 PM #69
      Yeah the drain valve I have on the bottom of the tank will be fed to outside the car. Great idea to empty water condensate from the buffer tank because it acts like a giant water trap
      I was wondering how you were planning on draining that tank.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance

Vehicles
      MK4 Golf TDI
      03-19-2012 02:16 PM #70
      I always thought the vibration layer took care of blocking of waves and for that reason have been greatly disappointed when i had it in my ex-MK3. I learned about the three layers (Vibration/Foam/Vynil) after installing the bags last year and can't wait to hear the difference, I'll order all the required stuff after moving in our new townhome next month.

I'll try to take a before and after MP3 comparaison as well.

MechEng will you add a Vynil layer at some point or you're already satisfied with the dampening result ?

I found this company selling the sound dampening material at killer price: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Bquiet is indeed cheaper than dynamat but still more expensive than second Skin and the company linked above

EDIT: another critical thing i learned a few weeks ago is that Vibration dampeners layer should really only be applied to 25% of the center panels, in my previous project i covered the WHOLE DAMN TRUNK area with it, waste of money and extra unneeded weight
      Last edited by kilimats; 03-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast