Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A very technical build - PART II

02-15-2012 12:55 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      I gotta ask about the three comps though... I know why... but why?
      Well here were the reasons behind getting another:
      - Never heard of anybody with a VW having 3 OB2's so i wanted to be unique
      - I had the extra room in my trunk if i redesigned my frame
      - I had some extra amperage to play with seeing as i had an upgraded alternator already (150A at idle, so say 130 to play with so we don't run full tilt, ~20A for car functions at any one given time, that leaves 110A for compressors. 35A * 3 = 105A so it is just enough). I would need to upgrade my alternator even further to a 250A/190A idle to accomodate another compressor so it just isn't worth it.
      - This way my fill time is virtually non-existent
      - With this proven silencing method the compressors are silent while running so i can run as many as i want without negative side effects
      - The faster the fill time the less it will start to kill my battery actually, this way my alternator can keep up to the filling and it won't start deep cycling my OEM battery, which it would if i was running it for 5 minutes or so
      - Plus it fills up the trunk space nicely

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      02-15-2012 01:17 PM #27
      LOL. I mean I would take three but I have a show car

Any in car audio? I'd love to hear how quiet these are, I think I may run isolators and move my comps into the interior.

02-15-2012 01:46 PM #28
      LOL. I mean I would take three but I have a show car

Any in car audio? I'd love to hear how quiet these are, I think I may run isolators and move my comps into the interior.
      You don't want to have three beautiful compressors showing in a show car??

I am just putting a simple head unit in to wire up to the monsoon speakers and amp and put in a small 10" directed audio 300W rms sub and amp in a nice sealed box for a bit of crisp bass. Will run off the other fuse I have in the trunk distribution block. The amp fits in the electrical box section of the build

02-15-2012 07:56 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      You don't want to have three beautiful compressors showing in a show car??

I am just putting a simple head unit in to wire up to the monsoon speakers and amp and put in a small 10" directed audio 300W rms sub and amp in a nice sealed box for a bit of crisp bass. Will run off the other fuse I have in the trunk distribution block. The amp fits in the electrical box section of the build
      I think he was talking about audio clips of the comps running from inside the cabin
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      My Flickr
      Instagram: @twilliams83

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      02-15-2012 08:12 PM #30
      Bingo. All the work on my car and ICE is all factory. Ended up growing out of that phase. I'd just love to hear in-car noise level.

Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon 2.0T + 05 Jetta Wagon TDI
      02-15-2012 08:50 PM #31
      LOVE LOVE the FUNK button idea, i need this in my life, I hate when the compressor kicks in while waiting for the glow to warm up and then turn off and on when firing the engine

Let me know how it goes and I'll most likely do the same

EDIT: that guy is asking for $45 shipped for the FUNK button
      Last edited by kilimats; 02-15-2012 at 10:49 PM.
      BIODiesel Powered | MKx Channel VW/Audi Videos United
      MKIV Forum User Guide | Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by dele
      The guys on coils can pull off their own Airless pride thread cos they clearly are the underdogs in the air/static debate, kinda like the equality movement for women.

Vehicles
      hoopty on air
      02-15-2012 10:34 PM #32
      I was going to run the mini funk button with a relay. I am still trying to decide on the fine details of it though. I am gonna have to step my game up though after seeing how you throw down.
      Insert witty quote

02-16-2012 12:25 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilliams83 View Post
      I think he was talking about audio clips of the comps running from inside the cabin
      Ah gotcha. I must have totally read it wrong.

Bingo. All the work on my car and ICE is all factory. Ended up growing out of that phase. I'd just love to hear in-car noise level.
      I don't think that the compressors would be great for inside the cabin, they would be noisy for that. But with the vibration dampening and double layers of airborne sound absorber it is quiet in the cabin with the comps mounted in the spare wheel well.

Quote Originally Posted by kilimats View Post
      LOVE LOVE the FUNK button idea, i need this in my life, I hate when the compressor kicks in while waiting for the glow to warm up and then turn off and on when firing the engine

Let me know how it goes and I'll most likely do the same

EDIT: that guy is asking for $45 shipped for the FUNK button
      Yeah thats what i got from him too.....BUT screw it i am going to do it anyways
      You can actually use any momentary push button with the wiring diagram that i gave you and just wire in an LED for an on or off indicator

Quote Originally Posted by Niagara_V_Dub View Post
      I was going to run the mini funk button with a relay. I am still trying to decide on the fine details of it though. I am gonna have to step my game up though after seeing how you throw down.
      It's not a competition, it's always nice to have something unique though
      Even if you do the same thing not very many people have done it at all so it will still be really unique especially at local shows

Vehicles
      03 jetta wagon.
      02-16-2012 01:20 AM #34
      I must admit when it comes to wiring/electronic' i just almost freeze up and don't even know where to start. Its kinda hard to explain the feeling but its so damn stupid! That funk button idea is great! Can't wait for some more progress

10. Banner Advertiser Will@BagRiders's Avatar
      Vehicles
      335i
      02-16-2012 02:04 PM #35
      Looking good
      - Call us at: 844 . 404 . 7344 - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com - - // - - We're open: Monday - Friday 9:00 - 6:00 Eastern -

02-17-2012 04:13 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackRadon View Post
      I must admit when it comes to wiring/electronic' i just almost freeze up and don't even know where to start. Its kinda hard to explain the feeling but its so damn stupid! That funk button idea is great! Can't wait for some more progress
      Well if you ever have any questions let me know and i would be more than willing to help ya out

Quote Originally Posted by Will@BagRiders View Post
      Looking good
      Thanks Will, hopefully i get more work on it done soon

In other news I got a 20% raise at work plus a big bonus so wheels got ordered
      Not getting the 9.5 Miro's like i originally anticipated, going for something a bit more classy and a bit less showy. And only a select few people know what wheels they are so no spreading the word around

02-17-2012 07:40 PM #37
      Figured this is an appropriate picture for the build

02-21-2012 12:32 AM #38
      Instead of working on the airride this weekend i did a few "supporting mods" and got rid of the stock radio for a head unit from my old jetta, and old astro van, however it still works. Circa ~1998

Airride frame is going to get mounted this week, as well as a bit of wiring

14. Junior Member
      02-21-2012 08:31 PM #39
      best write up ever! i love to see planning with such organization, it definitely makes me feel inspired to get started on my build. and what do you plan on using to protect the airlines from the harsh canadian winters?
      Last edited by streetuner; 02-21-2012 at 08:33 PM.

02-21-2012 10:16 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by streetuner View Post
      best write up ever! i love to see planning with such organization, it definitely makes me feel inspired to get started on my build. and what do you plan on using to protect the airlines from the harsh canadian winters?
      For winter protection i am going to run the airlines tucked underneath the car to the front right beside the other lines that run in between the frame rails, also run wire loom around the whole thing to add cushion and protection. Similar to what i did in the rears last time

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Audi S4 , 2004 Chevy Avalanche
      02-22-2012 08:44 AM #41
      in for this as i am installing elevel in march.. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use 2 x 4s or hevy duty stuff in a trnk install cus if you do get in an eaccident your whole trunk set up is getting pushed into your rear seat and used something elseo so it woud break easy but i cannot remember.. anyone hear of something liek this happening?
      http://www.lowbuds.com/
      I do custom trunk setups, false floor, powder coating, media blasting, polishing, custom carbon fiber parts, custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosures, wheels repair/assembly.

PM me with what you have in mind and we can make it happen!

02-22-2012 09:40 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by msheehan View Post
      in for this as i am installing elevel in march.. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use 2 x 4s or hevy duty stuff in a trnk install cus if you do get in an eaccident your whole trunk set up is getting pushed into your rear seat and used something elseo so it woud break easy but i cannot remember.. anyone hear of something liek this happening?

Honestly it's not going to happen. I have heard of this before but i think it is just garbage, the way the seats are designed they are almost bulletproof (i exaggerate of course). What if you just had a 50lb object sitting in the trunk rolling around loose? What would actually do damage, that or a wooden frame that is snugly fitted inside the trunk with an airtank tightly bolted to it

Again i think that people just say stuff like this to stir up a ruckus, a 2x4 frame that is bolted or snugly fitted in your trunk is not going to do squat compared to a loose object rolling around.

But thanks for the bump!

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 2.0 16V, 1983 GTI 1.8 8V
      02-22-2012 09:53 PM #43
      Lookin' pretty good so far. Hope this turns out to b what you really want.
      18 with a bagged Mk2... Pretty sure I'm the only one at my school with bags...

02-23-2012 07:33 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDaniels View Post
      Lookin' pretty good so far. Hope this turns out to b what you really want.
      Should be

MINI UPDATE

Got my water traps on shut off valve. Shut off valve will be extremely handy because with the e-level setup if you relieve pressure from the air manifold the car lowers itself and airs out the bags too. This way i can empty my water traps and drain my 3 gallon tank without having to lose all of my air. This way it is also quicker to get back up to full pressure (not that it will take long anyways)

I am again running flex airlines directly off of the compressor. IMO the OB2 compressors don't get hot enough to do any damage to the airline, if it happens in the future i will worry about it at that point.

Everything is almost ready to install, just have to get quick disconnects for the wiring harnesses of the compressors so that they can be easily detached from the relays and its going in

JIC-FNPT adapter, then MNPT-PTC adapter, all 1/2"

All 3 compressors tee together and lead into this one water trap on the side of the tank. 1/2"PTC-3/8"MNPT adapter

Outlet from 3 gallon tank to 5 gallon tank

03-02-2012 09:43 PM #45
      Crappy pic but got the frame in and it fits snug as a bug in a rug. Just perfect size for a trunk wheel well, i can see someone running just this under the floor setup and having room towards the back from the 3 gallon tank to do the manifold for a 2" raised floor setup

Vehicles
      03-02-2012 09:59 PM #46
      Again love the frame compressor mount, very well designed

great idea on the shut off valve, I've been thinking about doing it, I'll probably use a flow control for that since i will have some spare lying around, thanks again !

The guys on coils can pull off their own Airless pride thread cos they clearly are the underdogs in the air/static debate, kinda like the equality movement for women.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      mk4 Jetta 20v fun car (sold) ~ mk3 DE GTI VR6 fun car ~ mk3 Jetta 8v daily ~
      03-02-2012 10:49 PM #47
      just checked out your old build mainly just scrolling for pics haha looks good but new build looks better. sorry to hear about the old car but new ride must be nice. will be checking this for updates every now and again
      603.966.8321 Jon
      IG: JON369
      Quote Originally Posted by Ajlal24 View Post
      I'm a firm believer in not making your daily a hot rod, because once things start to break, you're going to be riding your bike to work!

Vehicles
      mk5 jetta TDI
      03-03-2012 12:57 AM #48
      good **** dude!! can't wait to see it finished
      Condukt.co

instagram @furr21

Vehicles
      Candy White mk3
      03-03-2012 10:55 AM #49

inspirational
      #Nosuchluck

Vehicles
      03-03-2012 02:18 PM #50
      BTW i read somewhere that your compressor was super quiet, barely hear them at idle due to having sound barrier deadening material, could you show the coverage and how/where it's laying ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast