Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else ever ride a couch?

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      03-03-2012 09:20 PM #26
      When I was riding the tail of the dragon in TN/NC a few years ago I came across this guy riding a Wing. He’s a local and runs the tail of the dragon like a sport bike rider. If I get a large tourer it’ll be a Wing or the new BMW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      03-04-2012 12:01 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      When I was riding the tail of the dragon in TN/NC a few years ago I came across this guy riding a Wing. He’s a local and runs the tail of the dragon like a sport bike rider. If I get a large tourer it’ll be a Wing or the new BMW.
      Whenever I've been to Renton Motorcycle Center (RMC), there was always a guy riding a Goldwing like that in the parking lot doing drills. Standing 30 yards or so away you could hear him scrape the chassis as he hung off the bike at 25-30mph in circles that encompassed only a couple of parking stalls. Before I head out east I'll try to grab some video, he was seriously very skilled, probably more so than most experienced sport bike riders
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

3. 03-04-2012 01:44 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      I respect your opinion but I think you're missing the point of the Goldwing. It's a long distance tourer meant to carry both rider and passenger plus luggage..
      Well said. Add to that they are VERY well made. (Ok, a few years ago there was a problem with some cracked frames, but Honda has long since taken care of that issue.)

And the Honda flat sixes are sweet motors. Very linear, long wearing and understressed. I had a Valkyrie prior to my current bike (Concours-14) and I used to love to balance a quarter on edge on a valvecover and show off how smooth the engine was by revving to redline without dropping the coin.

Overall, as a comfortable long distance rider, very few bikes can touch the 'Wing.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      03-04-2012 05:08 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_spl View Post
      I rented a new Harley Bagger and put a few hundred miles on it. It was terrible.
      What was terrible about it, and terrible compared to what?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Toy View Post
      Thank you to you and others for not flaming. I will assume that 25 mpg applies to a Gold Wing pulling a trailer; the entire rig loaded with two people and things needed for a one week trip. I will also assume that the 45 mpg applies to a VW diesel loaded similarly.

I love bikes but could never love a Gold Wing. I can't help but think that it's a rhinoceros with wheels. It's a matter of personal taste, of course.
      No, 25mpg is what I average w/ my car, and 45mpg is what I average w/ my FXDWG. My car will get ~30mpg on straight highway run, and the bike will get ~50mpg (although I think that dropped when I changed the pipes and re-jetted the carb).
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Hey, don't forget the anarchist car chicks. We are angry and have whips!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12