Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone else ever ride a couch?

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      02-13-2012 01:43 PM #1
      I've been storing my step-dad's Goldwing for a couple of months at my place so they can clean out their garage. He's been wanting to get his motorcycle back but due to his work schedule hasn't had a chance to get it the last couple of weeks. Well the stars aligned in such a way yesterday that it turned out to be a pretty decent day and I had some time available, so I convinced him to let me ride it up to his and my Mom's place since he was still working. It's a late-80s model with a choke and it took me a couple of tries to figure out how to trim it but once I got it warmed up I was ready to set off.

Now I'm used to ~400lb sport bikes so this was quite a contrast. I rocked the bike back and forth a couple of times to get a feel for the controls and to see how it would react since I've never ridden it. The only other time I've felt this nervous was when I was first learning and when I got onto the street for the first time. I think I was more nervous about dropping it since it wasn't mine. Thankfully I have slow surface streets and a good enough apartment driveway at my disposal to build up my confidence before hopping onto the freeway.

After getting on the freeway and settling into the light traffic I managed to calm down and take in the bike. What an experience! Having a seat back and a big cushy seat was fantastic. I still instinctively tucked my elbows whenever I would look behind me even though it was unnecessary on the Goldwing. The slightly more forward foot position compared to a standard took some getting used to but the whole riding position really caters to just eating up the miles in comfort. The only weird thing I thought was the windshield, it creates a giant void of low-pressure that you're sitting in and it felt like it was trying to suck me forward towards the handlebars. There's also an odd buffeting at freeway speeds that I thought was a bit bothersome even with ear plugs in, then I saw the cruise control. I didn't use it but it totally blew my mind. Oh, and the fact that the foot brake lever controls both front and rear brakes took some getting use to.

Overall it was a neat experience. I can certainly see the merits of having a big tourer and I've often fantasized about getting a sport tourer myself. I'd have to get a smaller windshield though, I don't think I could ever get used to that low-pressure zone behind it and the buffeting at speed. Here's a picture of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      02-13-2012 04:13 PM #2
      Awesome.

People do refer to the VFR as 'the barcalounger of sport bikes'; but I've never cruised on something that comfy

Did it have cup holders? If so did you have a modular helmet to drink coffee while riding? Blows my mind.

Vehicles
      02-13-2012 04:34 PM #3
      Strangely enough it did have a cup holder, right up near the clutch handle bar. There are actually cup holders below the rear speakers for the rear passenger to use as well. I was using my single-piece full-face helmet so I didn't get to partake in the drinking out of cups on a motorcycle. I did try something that I couldn't do on any of my bikes though, and that was flip up the visor at freeway speeds. Freaked me out a little since it didn't feel natural but that windshield does a good job at protecting the eyes so I could still see. It went back down on account of the buffeting though but it was neat to try.

4. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      02-13-2012 04:48 PM #4
      That is a pretty cool story and sorta mirrors my own experiences.

When that bike was brand-new to Honda we received two demo units that the dealership that I worked for. My first several bikes were sportbikes and at the time I was riding a 1983 VF750F Interceptor but had also owned a CX500 and a CX500 Silverwing. The big GL1500 bikes were a revelation due to their good balance and low center of gravity; once you are on your way going a few miles an hour they automatically seem to lose about 300 pounds or so.

Truthfully I rarely ride these days with my visor down as my GS has such great wind protection. What you are experiencing with the buffeting might be easily solved in theory with a change of angle on the windshield, a different helmet configuration or an inlet vent in the windscreen.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      02-13-2012 05:00 PM #5
      A former neighbor had similar vintage Goldwing. It was so comfortable that he fell asleep on his way home from the nightshift and ran it into a ditch. He woke up in the hospital the next day. He is fine now and even bought another 'wing but I don't think he rides it to work anymore...
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

Vehicles
      02-13-2012 05:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      The big GL1500 bikes were a revelation due to their good balance and low center of gravity; once you are on your way going a few miles an hour they automatically seem to lose about 300 pounds or so.
      That's a good way to describe it. The thing is a beast to try to handle at walking speeds but get the speed up and it does just as you say. I wouldn't call it agile but I think with a bit more seat time in one I might be comfortable enough to flick it around a bit more, it certainly seemed balanced enough to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      What you are experiencing with the buffeting might be easily solved in theory with a change of angle on the windshield, a different helmet configuration or an inlet vent in the windscreen.
      I think it was the windshield angle. I had the inlet vent in the middle of the windshield open the entire time but the top was still flexing and buffeting like crazy.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      02-16-2012 07:39 AM #7
      I've never riddeon on a Goldwing, but I've had touring bikes in the past and they tend to be my go to bike. I've got a jacked up back and I just can't handle the riding position on sport bikes. I had a Kawasaki Councours, that was the closest I've been to a sport bike

Vehicles
      02-16-2012 12:21 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      I've never riddeon on a Goldwing, but I've had touring bikes in the past and they tend to be my go to bike. I've got a jacked up back and I just can't handle the riding position on sport bikes. I had a Kawasaki Councours, that was the closest I've been to a sport bike
      How did you like the Concours, and what other tourers have you had? I've often toyed with the idea of getting a bigger sport tourer and now that I have a passenger to worry about I'm thinking it'll be much better with two riders than my EX500.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      02-16-2012 01:12 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      How did you like the Concours, and what other tourers have you had? I've often toyed with the idea of getting a bigger sport tourer and now that I have a passenger to worry about I'm thinking it'll be much better with two riders than my EX500.
      Friend of mine has a concours 14 model. Similar motor to the zx14, bikes a beast, fast, comfy, and one hell of a couch. Carries a passenger quite often too.

Use your zx6r, heard the passenger seat is pretty comfy.....
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      02-16-2012 04:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Knock Sensor View Post
      Use your zx6r, heard the passenger seat is pretty comfy.....
      Already did that...once

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      02-25-2012 06:45 PM #11
      I'm 33 years old. Is it strange to want a Goldwing? Yellow please. I think it's a good looking bike.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      02-26-2012 02:30 AM #12
      Yellow is a good color.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      02-26-2012 08:27 AM #13
      A bit late, but I loved the bike. It was my first non cruiser bike and I was blown away by how light it was and how well it handled. It's also got a huge support community and aftermarket support. I'd definitely consider getting one again.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 327K Miles.
      02-26-2012 08:37 PM #14
      I apologize for being contrary but I have two cars that get better fuel mileage than a Gold Wing assuming that it gets a typical 36 mpg. I despise Gold Wings as they are a joke regarding economy and they are overweight by far. I am not a weak person but could not pick up by myself a Gold Wing that had fallen on its side. If you don't care about fuel mileage, so be it, love your Gold Wing. Motorcycles are fun but should get better fuel mileage than cars in trade for the risk of riding one. I won't own a bike that I can't pick up by myself.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      02-26-2012 10:05 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Toy View Post
      I apologize for being contrary but I have two cars that get better fuel mileage than a Gold Wing assuming that it gets a typical 36 mpg. I despise Gold Wings as they are a joke regarding economy and they are overweight by far. I am not a weak person but could not pick up by myself a Gold Wing that had fallen on its side. If you don't care about fuel mileage, so be it, love your Gold Wing. Motorcycles are fun but should get better fuel mileage than cars in trade for the risk of riding one. I won't own a bike that I can't pick up by myself.
      I won't even address this with a real response.

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 10:37 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      I'm 33 years old. Is it strange to want a Goldwing? Yellow please. I think it's a good looking bike.
      I'm 28 and I sort of want one so color me strange

I respect your opinion but I think you're missing the point of the Goldwing. It's a long distance tourer meant to carry both rider and passenger plus luggage. After scoping out the cargo capacity of the Goldwing I rode I reckon you could get a weeks worth of clothing for two people into the saddle bags alone leaving you the trunk to fill with whatever you see fit. I don't see it as an impossibility to get nearly 2-weeks worth of gear for two into one of these things. While I'm sure many riders will either opt for a second bike or utilize 4-wheeled transport, a Goldwing will take to task. Other motorcycles capable of doing this very same thing in the same amount of comfort is a very short list.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
      02-26-2012 11:17 PM #17
      you mean like this?

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      02-27-2012 07:38 AM #18
      I agree that bikes should get better mileage than cars, but most people don't ride motorcycles to save fuel. They do it because it's fun.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      02-27-2012 08:33 AM #19
      Guy I used to be on the FD with has a Gold Wing that looks exactly like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      I agree that bikes should get better mileage than cars, but most people don't ride motorcycles to save fuel. They do it because it's fun.
      I agree that I ride my bike because I really enjoy it, but w/ gas prices pushing $4/gallon again, and the weather getting warmer, I'll certainly take the bike if I don't need to take a car (carry anything, bad weather, etc.). I'll take 45mph over 25mpg all day long! Plus it's another great reason to take the bike!
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      02-27-2012 06:33 PM #20
      I respect your opinion but I think you're missing the point of the Goldwing. It's a long distance tourer meant to carry both rider and passenger plus luggage. After scoping out the cargo capacity of the Goldwing I rode I reckon you could get a weeks worth of clothing for two people into the saddle bags alone leaving you the trunk to fill with whatever you see fit. I don't see it as an impossibility to get nearly 2-weeks worth of gear for two into one of these things. While I'm sure many riders will either opt for a second bike or utilize 4-wheeled transport, a Goldwing will take to task. Other motorcycles capable of doing this very same thing in the same amount of comfort is a very short list.

MY VFR gets worse gas mileage overall than my VW does on the highway. This is not the reason I ride it.

Vehicles
      2012 Ford Focus, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848, 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100
      02-27-2012 09:56 PM #21
      I rented a new Harley Bagger and put a few hundred miles on it. It was terrible.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 BMW 325i, 2008 Yamaha R6
      02-28-2012 12:37 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post

MY VFR gets worse gas mileage overall than my VW does on the highway. This is not the reason I ride it.
      Yea, that'd turn me off from a motorcycle. In my mind, motorcycles are cheap, simple speed. If they start getting worse MPGs, then the "cheap" part is all messed up.

Out of curiosity, what kind of MPG's are you getting with the VFR? I would have thought that a relatively torquey V4 would get decent mileage.

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      02-28-2012 05:59 PM #23
      I have an '86 Gold Wing 1200 and I really like it, comfy and fast enough, plus I can carry quite a bit of stuff (for a bike, of course). I wouldn't mind a 1500, but the 1800 are too big for me right now - I don't need that big of a commuter.

It is easy to get lost in the ride on a Gold Wing, for sure.
      2009 KLR 650, 2006 KLR 650 (road kill edition), 1986 Gold Wing 1200, 1981 Dnepr, 1979 KZ1000, 1979 Royal Enfield Bullet 350

1995 Sable - The BattleWagon

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 327K Miles.
      02-28-2012 09:26 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      I agree that I ride my bike because I really enjoy it, but w/ gas prices pushing $4/gallon again, and the weather getting warmer, I'll certainly take the bike if I don't need to take a car (carry anything, bad weather, etc.). I'll take 45mph over 25mpg all day long! Plus it's another great reason to take the bike!
      Thank you to you and others for not flaming. I will assume that 25 mpg applies to a Gold Wing pulling a trailer; the entire rig loaded with two people and things needed for a one week trip. I will also assume that the 45 mpg applies to a VW diesel loaded similarly.

I love bikes but could never love a Gold Wing. I can't help but think that it's a rhinoceros with wheels. It's a matter of personal taste, of course.

Vehicles
      02-28-2012 09:55 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by msrothwell View Post
      Yea, that'd turn me off from a motorcycle. In my mind, motorcycles are cheap, simple speed. If they start getting worse MPGs, then the "cheap" part is all messed up.

Out of curiosity, what kind of MPG's are you getting with the VFR? I would have thought that a relatively torquey V4 would get decent mileage.
      The cheap part is negated by tire costs. I get low 30s on my VFR when I ring it out (worst I've done is 28 on a tank). My Mkiv will get 34 cruising on the highway.

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      03-03-2012 09:20 PM #26
      When I was riding the tail of the dragon in TN/NC a few years ago I came across this guy riding a Wing. He’s a local and runs the tail of the dragon like a sport bike rider. If I get a large tourer it’ll be a Wing or the new BMW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Vehicles
      03-04-2012 12:01 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      When I was riding the tail of the dragon in TN/NC a few years ago I came across this guy riding a Wing. He’s a local and runs the tail of the dragon like a sport bike rider. If I get a large tourer it’ll be a Wing or the new BMW.
      Whenever I've been to Renton Motorcycle Center (RMC), there was always a guy riding a Goldwing like that in the parking lot doing drills. Standing 30 yards or so away you could hear him scrape the chassis as he hung off the bike at 25-30mph in circles that encompassed only a couple of parking stalls. Before I head out east I'll try to grab some video, he was seriously very skilled, probably more so than most experienced sport bike riders

28. 03-04-2012 01:44 AM #28
      I respect your opinion but I think you're missing the point of the Goldwing. It's a long distance tourer meant to carry both rider and passenger plus luggage..
      Well said. Add to that they are VERY well made. (Ok, a few years ago there was a problem with some cracked frames, but Honda has long since taken care of that issue.)

And the Honda flat sixes are sweet motors. Very linear, long wearing and understressed. I had a Valkyrie prior to my current bike (Concours-14) and I used to love to balance a quarter on edge on a valvecover and show off how smooth the engine was by revving to redline without dropping the coin.

Overall, as a comfortable long distance rider, very few bikes can touch the 'Wing.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      03-04-2012 05:08 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_spl View Post
      I rented a new Harley Bagger and put a few hundred miles on it. It was terrible.
      What was terrible about it, and terrible compared to what?

Thank you to you and others for not flaming. I will assume that 25 mpg applies to a Gold Wing pulling a trailer; the entire rig loaded with two people and things needed for a one week trip. I will also assume that the 45 mpg applies to a VW diesel loaded similarly.

I love bikes but could never love a Gold Wing. I can't help but think that it's a rhinoceros with wheels. It's a matter of personal taste, of course.
      No, 25mpg is what I average w/ my car, and 45mpg is what I average w/ my FXDWG. My car will get ~30mpg on straight highway run, and the bike will get ~50mpg (although I think that dropped when I changed the pipes and re-jetted the carb).
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...