Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 106 to 140 of 155

    Thread: A glimpse of my (soon to be) man cave

    1. 04-10-2012 10:57 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      wow thats nice. makes me want to move out of the US some times, Europe has such nicer homes and cars imo
      Unfortunately that is not an average home in most of Europe...

    2. Member Activ8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ann Arbor, MI
      Posts
      327
      Vehicles
      2006 Lancer Evo 9, 2000 Honda Prelude
      04-10-2012 11:18 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by John A View Post
      60 miles each way? I'd sell the cars, get a gun and shoot myself.

      If it's a commute, then it might be bad, but if it's a drive (read, decent roads with bends, no lame traffic), why not

    3. Member nismo4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2007
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,052
      Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      04-10-2012 01:03 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by windi View Post
      Unfortunately that is not an average home in most of Europe...
      This is true, but I still prefer pretty much everything european to anything here...minus gas prices, cost of living, and the language .
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

    4. Member arethirdytwo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2007
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      4,946
      Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      04-10-2012 01:07 PM #109
      Spoken like an American who has never lived in Europe. While I enjoyed my time there living in Europe made me happy to come home.

      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      This is true, but I still prefer pretty much everything european to anything here...minus gas prices, cost of living, and the language .

    5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      22,245
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '69 VW Fastback and an '08 Fit
      04-10-2012 01:15 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      This is true, but I still prefer pretty much everything european to anything here...minus gas prices, cost of living, and the language .
      There are plenty of fine older homes here in the States as well. Look for something built in the early part of the last century/a nice Craftsman style home with updates to the kitchen and whatnot. I've seen inlaid narrow board wood floors that would make you cry* because of their beauty and craftsmanship.

      *OK, maybe not cry, but they're sure fine looking and nothing like what is built today.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      powell's books
      Posts
      35,467
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      04-10-2012 01:22 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      Spoken like an American who has never lived in Europe. While I enjoyed my time there living in Europe made me happy to come home.
      depends on where youre at.

      it may shock many posters here, but europe is not in fact all one country.

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2011
      Posts
      44
      Vehicles
      2000 & 2003 Jetta 2.0, 2004 Audi S4
      04-10-2012 01:30 PM #112
      I could sell ya a rider for that lawn?

    8. Member nismo4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2007
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,052
      Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      04-10-2012 01:47 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      Spoken like an American who has never lived in Europe. While I enjoyed my time there living in Europe made me happy to come home.
      More like "spoken like a naturalized American who immigrated at a young age from South America, and has since visited said south american origin and in certain ways prefered it to current United States location."

      I also enjoy living in the US, but in many ways more than one would prefer to live elsewhere.

      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      depends on where youre at.

      it may shock many posters here, but europe is not in fact all one country.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

    9. Member DCubed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2004
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      2,940
      Vehicles
      '13 Escape Titanium
      04-10-2012 01:48 PM #114
      Beautiful house and a great choice on the car purchase! Hoping to get the keys to our new home next month, so seeing you have some good fortune is putting me in a better mood about the reality that is buying a house in the US right now (I know you are in Norway...). Did a 50 mile one way commute for a couple years (being in the car business requires 6-7 day a week schedules) and its not that bad, get some good music or books on CD/Tape/iPod and you are golden.
      Derek Douglas
      Internet Manager
      McKenna VW Cerritos
      562-653-9000

    10. Member nismo4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2007
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,052
      Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      04-10-2012 01:50 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      There are plenty of fine older homes here in the States as well. Look for something built in the early part of the last century/a nice Craftsman style home with updates to the kitchen and whatnot. I've seen inlaid narrow board wood floors that would make you cry* because of their beauty and craftsmanship.

      *OK, maybe not cry, but they're sure fine looking and nothing like what is built today.
      Trust me I know, I live in Central Connecticut. We have our fair share of ancient homes (some older than the country) in the area for sale, I just prefer the general styling of western european homes....well western european anything in general.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

    11. Member MidnightSpecial's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2007
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      5,869
      04-10-2012 01:53 PM #116
      So what project car is going to occupy the vacant space in the garage?
      Algunos padres son poetas, todos los hijos son poesías. ♥

    12. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      22,245
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '69 VW Fastback and an '08 Fit
      04-10-2012 01:54 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      Trust me I know, I live in Central Connecticut. We have our fair share of ancient homes (some older than the country) in the area for sale, I just prefer the general styling of western european homes....well western european anything in general.
      Style is a different thing altogether.

      Myself I'm a huge fan of Craftsman style homes and Mid-Centruy Modern. Throw a little Bauhaus in there for good measure.

      That being said, I live in a simple ranch home with a hip roof. I like to think of it as more of a Frank Lloyd Wright/Japanese inspired brick ranch, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    13. Member arethirdytwo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2007
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      4,946
      Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      04-10-2012 01:57 PM #118
      Above you mentioned South America which is VERY different from Europe. Now you mention you prefer European built homes as opposed to early American homes which are... pretty much European. So my question I guess is have you been to Europe?

      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      Trust me I know, I live in Central Connecticut. We have our fair share of ancient homes (some older than the country) in the area for sale, I just prefer the general styling of western european homes....well western european anything in general.

    14. Member nismo4life's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2007
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,052
      Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      04-10-2012 02:04 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by arethirdytwo View Post
      Above you mentioned South America which is VERY different from Europe. Now you mention you prefer European built homes as opposed to early American homes which are... pretty much European. So my question I guess is have you been to Europe?
      Buenos Aires has a very heavy european influence. Many jew's, as well as German's fled there during and post WW2. I have seen enough photos, movies, videos, and spoken to my father who has traveled almost all of europe when he use to work for Agfa to know they share a lot of similarities, whilst still maintaining their individuality. An American home from the 1900's doesn't really seem to share much with an early scandanavian home from the 1900's besides the 4 walls and a roof aspect.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

    15. Banned Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,442
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-10-2012 02:14 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      Buenos Aires has a very heavy european influence. Many jew's, as well as German's fled there during and post WW2. I have seen enough photos, movies, videos, and spoken to my father who has traveled almost all of europe when he use to work for Agfa to know they share a lot of similarities, whilst still maintaining their individuality. An American home from the 1900's doesn't really seem to share much with an early scandanavian home from the 1900's besides the 4 walls and a roof aspect.
      Europe is a big place and so is America. Lots of Spanish and Italian-style homes in Florida and last I checked those places are European. Furthermore, the people that set up Argentina and South America as a whole were, you guessed it, European. Europe is a big place. That's why Spain and Germany are different even if they're on the same landmass.

    16. 04-10-2012 03:54 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by John A View Post
      60 miles each way? I'd sell the cars, get a gun and shoot myself.
      You live in a small state, of course 60 miles seems like a long drive.
      I cannot even get to the next 'big' city driving less than 100 miles.
      Heck, to get out of the state it is almost 300 miles east, 280 miles north, or 600 miles west.
      But I can get to Mexico in about 200 miles.

    17. Member tiopedro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2011
      Location
      The Netherlands
      Posts
      499
      04-10-2012 04:14 PM #122
      ^^ sounds like San Antonio Texas or something of that sort..
      Save The Ring
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Around here they all "upgraded" to lifted pick-ups with cheesy wheels and a sticker bomb of energy drinks and fox racing. The highest mileage early 2000's truck they can buy, cheapest lift that makes it the tallest, clear or tinted tails, drop in HIDs, tinted windows, accent painted everything, stick on chrome, rebel flags (wtf?).

    18. 04-10-2012 04:15 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by tiopedro View Post
      ^^ sounds like San Antonio Texas or something of that sort..
      Close, Austin.

    19. Member tiopedro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2011
      Location
      The Netherlands
      Posts
      499
      04-10-2012 04:19 PM #124
      UGH!!!! I typed austin, then I was like nahhh.. San antonio is closer to Mexico..
      Save The Ring
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Around here they all "upgraded" to lifted pick-ups with cheesy wheels and a sticker bomb of energy drinks and fox racing. The highest mileage early 2000's truck they can buy, cheapest lift that makes it the tallest, clear or tinted tails, drop in HIDs, tinted windows, accent painted everything, stick on chrome, rebel flags (wtf?).

    20. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,306
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-11-2012 08:42 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Speaking of the dog:
      Still very handsome.

      As to Argentina, culturally it is extremely different from much of Latin America in its European origin (more like much of the US). Yet, surprisingly, a recent study found that over 30% of Argentinians' ancestry is Indigenous American (but, conversely, more than half of the genetic make-up of Argentinians who declared no European grandparents is of European descent - a pattern quite common when for centuries, Europeans where socially and economically empowered).

    21. Member Dommer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2000
      Location
      Atlanta, GA USA
      Posts
      2,542
      Vehicles
      2008 M3 Coupe, 1973 Type 3 Squareback
      04-11-2012 08:49 AM #126
      How is any of this car related?

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,403
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      05-12-2012 04:37 PM #127
      So, today I had a quick car-related chat with my next door neighbor. He had his '79 MB W123 280 out of the garage, and I thought that would be a great occasion to "break the ice".

      Well, it turned out that W123 was the proverbial tip if the ice berg. Scattered round town (not much room in his own garage) he has a small collection of US metal.

      1962 Chevrolet Corvair
      1969 Buick Riviera
      1979 Chevrolet Blazer

      Can't wait to get a chance to see them in the flesh.

      flick
      r


      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    23. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      We-Haw-Ken
      Posts
      12,616
      05-12-2012 05:29 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      1979 Chevrolet Blazer

      Can't wait to get a chance to see them in the flesh.
      Amazing world when a European member looks forward to seeing what I would consider a yard decoration for trailer parks


    24. Member Slipstream's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      10,051
      Vehicles
      WRB ZC6L
      05-12-2012 06:04 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Amazing world when a European member looks forward to seeing what I would consider a yard decoration for trailer parks


      Europeans probably wonder why Americans get all moist over some old German (MB) taxis, too.
      14 torque-less wonder | 08 sorority special | seventwosix | flickr

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,403
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      05-12-2012 06:20 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Amazing world when a European member looks forward to seeing what I would consider a yard decoration for trailer parks

      Ok, the Blazer is last on the list - much more interested in the Riviera and the Corvair.

      flick
      r


      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2011
      Location
      LBC
      Posts
      215
      Vehicles
      Audi
      06-09-2012 12:39 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by Dommer View Post
      How is any of this car related?
      Random bump to the top because i like this thread.

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,403
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      06-10-2012 06:19 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by Morbidly Obese View Post
      Random bump to the top because i like this thread.
      Then I'll seize the opportunity to show my actual factual Umweltplakette (Environmental badge) - showing that my Golf started its life in Wolfsburg - presumably as a factory courtesy car.




      flick
      r


      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    28. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,306
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-10-2012 07:56 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      [fuelly]
      48 US mpg average - not bad!

    29. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,583
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      06-10-2012 11:12 AM #134
      Great looking house! I hadn't seen this thread before. I heard at least Oslo is SUPER expensive, with house prices starting from ~800k€.

      The car looks nice, too. The Team edition seems to have white/silver stitching on the steering wheel, shift boot and seats.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 4th, 2011
      Location
      LBC
      Posts
      215
      Vehicles
      Audi
      06-10-2012 12:19 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Then I'll seize the opportunity to show my actual factual Umweltplakette (Environmental badge) - showing that my Golf started its life in Wolfsburg - presumably as a factory courtesy car.

      Eww, eww, I want one of those.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,403
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      08-11-2012 05:58 PM #136
      Just throwing this in here - 15min drive from my new home


      Nikon D800 + Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 by emmkayfive, on Flickr

      And there are roads like this going all over the place.

      flick
      r


      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    32. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2006
      Location
      Vancouver/Melbourne
      Posts
      1,241
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      08-11-2012 06:07 PM #137
      ^Does that turn into this in the winter?


    33. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,403
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      08-11-2012 06:17 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
      ^Does that turn into this in the winter?

      That would be nice, but sadly, no. Not that much snow these parts, but it can get really cold.

      flick
      r


      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    34. Member eiriksmil's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2006
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      3,037
      Vehicles
      7 of em.
      08-11-2012 07:23 PM #139
      Dawg, I need to buy you a beer one day..

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      8,403
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      08-12-2012 03:40 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by eiriksmil View Post
      Dawg, I need to buy you a beer one day..
      ... hey, that's not a bad idea - of course I'd return the favor

      flick
      r


      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •