Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLI short shift

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-13-2012 05:11 PM #1
      Has anyone installed a short shift kit on their GLI? I saw ECS tuning has one for the 2.0T, I'm guessing it fits all the FWD 2.0Ts just wondering if anyone got it for the MKVI GLI...

02-13-2012 05:27 PM #2
      Just got a dieselgeek short shift kit for my GLI. Its solid, but still pretty stiff because I just put it in. Im loving how it feels though. Take a look at it if you haven't seen it yet.
      2012 GLI 6MT APR'd Cat Pajamas
      Vroom Vroom

02-14-2012 09:11 AM #3
      Still waiting for ECS to get their "Euro" shifter back in stock. I've already cut down the shifter lever about 1 1/2" and that felt pretty good for overall height. I like the tightness of the side to side shifts with the OE shifter, but want a reduced fore/aft throw reduction. For $50, its worth a try. I'll do a write-up when I get it in.
      2012 Tornado Red GTI Autobahn DSG with a loose nut behind the steering wheel.
      2014 Pepper Gray Tiguan SEL with a much prettier driver.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-15-2012 01:29 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by shortybdub View Post
      Still waiting for ECS to get their "Euro" shifter back in stock. I've already cut down the shifter lever about 1 1/2" and that felt pretty good for overall height. I like the tightness of the side to side shifts with the OE shifter, but want a reduced fore/aft throw reduction. For $50, its worth a try. I'll do a write-up when I get it in.
      Do you think the dealer would give you any crap for it? What part did you exactly cut to shorten the height?

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-16-2012 12:10 PM #5
      What's the difference between the euro ss kit and the adjustable ss kit from ECS?

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-16-2012 12:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by stumpjump View Post
      Just got a dieselgeek short shift kit for my GLI. Its solid, but still pretty stiff because I just put it in. Im loving how it feels though. Take a look at it if you haven't seen it yet.
      Ya I was reading bout it. Was the install difficult and do you think the dealer would say anything bout it?

02-16-2012 03:02 PM #7
      It something you always have to feel out but generally most dealers dont care as long as you dont go overboard with the mod. In the case that something breaks directly because of what you put on, put on old part go about it that way. I love the shifter, its just starting to finally wear in and it feels great. Haven't missed a single shift yet.
      Vroom Vroom

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-04-2012 05:42 PM #8
      I checked out the ss from dieselgeek, neuspeed and ecs and decided to go with the one from ecs. I just put it on yesterday and holy crap it is EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE! The shifts are unbelieveably short. Install wasn't too bad, getting the old one off was a bit tricky as well as lining up the new one with the teeth and shoving it in. If you are looking for a TRUE short shift I would recommend this kit. If you are not the greatest stick driver, you'll have trouble getting use to it and prolly better off without it.

I don't know if I used too many of the weights but its kinda tricky to find neutral at times. I felt out the other adjustments and decided I mite as well keep it all the way in the 49% reduction hole.

03-05-2012 09:58 AM #9
      Nice job. Obviously you can adjust the shift throws with that shifter if they are too short for you. Still waiting for the Euro shifter from ECS (I don't want or need an adjustable one).

Got a couple positive comments from the service guys when I took the car in for it's courtesy check. First tech said that he knew something was different about the shifter, but didn't know what. I told him that I simply cut down the shift lever, he said that was one of the best free mods he has seen in a long time. Does not affect the shifter assembly inside the car or at the trans, so would not be a warranty concern. Service manager and 2 techs backed this up, at least on my car .

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-05-2012 12:32 PM #10
      Nice job. Obviously you can adjust the shift throws with that shifter if they are too short for you. Still waiting for the Euro shifter from ECS (I don't want or need an adjustable one).

Got a couple positive comments from the service guys when I took the car in for it's courtesy check. First tech said that he knew something was different about the shifter, but didn't know what. I told him that I simply cut down the shift lever, he said that was one of the best free mods he has seen in a long time. Does not affect the shifter assembly inside the car or at the trans, so would not be a warranty concern. Service manager and 2 techs backed this up, at least on my car .
      Ya I still need to cut mine. Do you have the round ball shift knob? Some GLI do and some have the other kinda bulkier shift knob w a grip. Thats the one I have lemme get a pic for u so u no what I'm talking bout. Was it easy to cut it and throw on ur stock knob? I was thinking of getting a new knob.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-05-2012 04:20 PM #11

Why do I have this shift knob!?

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-05-2012 04:49 PM #12
      Never knew that knob existed. Kinda glad I have the round ball.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI Autobahn 6spd Reflex Silver
      03-05-2012 04:51 PM #13
      that's an SE convenience nob

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-05-2012 04:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by WakingTh3Fall3n View Post
      that's an SE convenience nob
      So some GLI's came with that knob or did owners put them on and ditch the ball shift?

15. 03-05-2012 08:21 PM #15
      What did you use to cut the shifter? I like this mod a lot. Also, how did you get the threads back in the shifter after you cut it in order to get the knob to screw back on?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-05-2012 10:44 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by aerohead06 View Post

Why do I have this shift knob!?
      My Autobahn has the same shifter.
      2012 Candy White GLI Autobahn 6spd
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-06-2012 11:45 AM #17
      Ya the shift knob came like that. I think if you got ur GLI IN 2011 u got the round ball shift knob and H7 fogs, if you got the GLI IN 2012 you got the shift knob mine came with and H8 for fogs. I could be wrong but I've seen both knobs and both bulb type fogs. I got mine this year and I have H8 fogs and that shift knob. My buddies sister got her GLI rite when they dropped last year and she has H7 fogs and the round ball shift knob.

03-07-2012 09:31 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by mk6gligrey View Post
      What did you use to cut the shifter? I like this mod a lot. Also, how did you get the threads back in the shifter after you cut it in order to get the knob to screw back on?
      Dremel cutting wheel. Zipped it off in about 30 seconds. No threads on the lever, knob just slips on and is held by a metal clamping ring.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-14-2012 05:01 PM #19
      My knob was a lil different but I was still able to chope it down and threw on this knob which is an amazing combination with my ECS short shifter

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03 jetta IV gli vr6 24v(sold) 2012 Gli autobahn man.
      03-14-2012 11:34 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
      My Autobahn has the same shifter.
      i want to swap shifters...my ball shifter for urs..u up 4 it?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-15-2012 09:47 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by lovinmyjetta View Post
      PM me a pic of yours.
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-15-2012 11:53 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by lovinmyjetta View Post
      You really like that shifter better than yours? I can sell you mine if IslaTurbine doesnt wanna trade. I totally wulda traded you before but I bought this shift knob already.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-23-2012 06:07 PM #23

Shifting is effortless with this knob, it weights nearly 5 times as much as the other one.

24. 04-23-2012 06:39 PM #24
      What is everyone using for a actual shorter rod? I hate how tall the knob sits
      2012 CW GLi A/B - 1972 Typ1 Std Beetle Sedan

04-23-2012 08:54 PM #25
      People are dremmeling out the rod about an inch. Once you put the short shift in in pretty effortless. If youre having trouble shifting at that point maybe you need to hit the gym instead.
      Vroom Vroom

Vehicles
      2003 GTi 20th AE
      04-23-2012 10:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by aerohead06 View Post

Shifting is effortless with this knob, it weights nearly 5 times as much as the other one.
      Where'd you get the knob?

And!?!? Is there a DIY thread on how to shorten the height of the "stick?"

Vehicles
      BT MK6 GLI, and other non VW stuff..
      04-24-2012 12:45 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Nogaro20th View Post
      Where'd you get the knob?

And!?!? Is there a DIY thread on how to shorten the height of the "stick?"
      x2...

Vehicles
      2012 GLI (gone), 2012 Tiguan LE
      05-21-2012 09:31 PM #28
      I installed the European SHort Shift Kit from ECS Tuning. Very easy to install and shortens the throws a noticeable and worthwhile amount. I took some before and after pics of my shifter in all 6 positions to try to show how much. While it does not apear to be much of a difference visually, I can asure you that it does make a difference driving it. Throws are definitely shorter and resistance increased just enough to make it less vague as to what gear you are in. Best $50.00 mod that you can do, in my opinion.

2014 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
      2012 White Gold Metallic Tiguan LE - Wife's ride

Vehicles
      10 Jetta, 14 RAM 1500
      05-22-2012 08:59 AM #29
      i got the euro shifter on friday, i think its garbage imo.

ordered a diesel geek instead.

shameless plug: 2 day old euro shifter for sale - $40 shipped.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      05-22-2012 10:42 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      i got the euro shifter on friday, i think its garbage imo.

ordered a diesel geek instead.

shameless plug: 2 day old euro shifter for sale - $40 shipped.
      Out of curiosity...what makes it feel like garbage?

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      05-22-2012 11:22 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Nutt View Post
      I installed the European SHort Shift Kit from ECS Tuning. Very easy to install and shortens the throws a noticeable and worthwhile amount. I took some before and after pics of my shifter in all 6 positions to try to show how much. While it does not apear to be much of a difference visually, I can asure you that it does make a difference driving it. Throws are definitely shorter and resistance increased just enough to make it less vague as to what gear you are in. Best $50.00 mod that you can do, in my opinion.
      No issues with installing this part on your GLI? ECS doesn't list this as being compatible, but I'm willing to give it a shot for $50!

With the other short shifters available, do any tighten up the play/slop in the shifter itself?
      '12 Jetta GLI Platinum Gray

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 ATS4 Performance
      05-22-2012 01:31 PM #32
      I installed the Neuspeed short shifter for my GLI. Really pleased with how much it shorted the throws. Shift feel more deliberate now and is weighted much more to my liking.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI (gone), 2012 Tiguan LE
      05-22-2012 01:35 PM #33
      The engine and transmission are the same as the GTI so it works perfectly. Just remove your air filter box and inlet tubes and remove 2 clips and one nut. Put it in neutral and pop it off the splined shaft. Install the new one and button it back up. Make sure you have the line on the new end fitting lined up with the line on the cable coming from the shift lever. And you don't have to remove the coolant line above the air filter box. Just pull the air inlet pipe off and work it around the line.

I think this tightened things up a bit to remove some slop. Seems more definite now instead of being vague as to what gear you are in.
      2014 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
      2012 White Gold Metallic Tiguan LE - Wife's ride

06-06-2012 05:53 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by adamkramerusn View Post
      No issues with installing this part on your GLI? ECS doesn't list this as being compatible, but I'm willing to give it a shot for $50!

With the other short shifters available, do any tighten up the play/slop in the shifter itself?
      Just installed the Euro short shifter from ECS. I too saw that ECS removed this part from the GLI list and the rep said the same thing about compatibility when I called. It fits and operates perfectly, which makes sense because.........it is the same 02M tranny thats in the GTI. Don't understand why ECS decided to exclude potential sales from GLI owners .

Anyway, it shortened the fore/aft throws by about 20%. Feels fine and is just about right with the shortened shifter lever mod I did. I always thought that the fore/aft throw was a bit long when compared to the side to side gate throws, and now it seems more relative. One thing I like about it is that I can adjust where the shifter places the throws. I have rather short arms (hence the screename) and have placed the aft throw closer to me. I did this by moving the shifter rearward a bit before locking in the cable endlink. I gues this could also be done with the OE endlink, but the ECS piece allowed more cable end to work with. Overall, VERY pleased, especially since it's only $50!

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      06-14-2012 10:34 AM #35
      Just installed the Euro short shifter from ECS. I too saw that ECS removed this part from the GLI list and the rep said the same thing about compatibility when I called. It fits and operates perfectly, which makes sense because.........it is the same 02M tranny thats in the GTI. Don't understand why ECS decided to exclude potential sales from GLI owners .

Anyway, it shortened the fore/aft throws by about 20%. Feels fine and is just about right with the shortened shifter lever mod I did. I always thought that the fore/aft throw was a bit long when compared to the side to side gate throws, and now it seems more relative. One thing I like about it is that I can adjust where the shifter places the throws. I have rather short arms (hence the screename) and have placed the aft throw closer to me. I did this by moving the shifter rearward a bit before locking in the cable endlink. I gues this could also be done with the OE endlink, but the ECS piece allowed more cable end to work with. Overall, VERY pleased, especially since it's only $50!
      I installed mine last night. Do you have any issues with getting into reverse now? With the stock shift plate I was able to push the shift lever down with ease and move it into reverse. Now I have to pull the lever all the way to the left, then push down, then move it into reverse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast