Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh From The Field

1. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Cabby, 82 Westy 4 door aba hybrid, 2005.5 Jetta
      02-24-2012 10:18 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by brettj20 View Post
      great find
      This car sat on craigslist for weeks, but the guy said I was the only one who actually came out to look at it. Most likely because he lives out in BFE and there aren't many MK1 enthusiasts in this area- most of the guys are into MK2's.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 10:26 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by rallydiesel View Post
      Looks similar to a diesel Rabbit coupe I've been trying to buy for a couple years from a stubborn farmer. I don't understand why some people gotta be so hard-headed and would rather let a car sit and rust in a field then let someone restore and enjoy it.
      Some day I'll find an 82 Diamond Silver diesel coupe. We had one when I was a kid from about age 3 to 12. I really caught the rabbit bug one summer ( 1990ish) when my dad's friend came to visit in his 84 GTI.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03-12-2012 01:25 AM #28
      I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car, but managed to get a little bit done. Engine is ready for the head to be installed and the rest of the goodies put back on. I got the freeze plug installed where the oil breather used to be, and just need to trim the block off plate a little more and drill the holes in it.

Matching up the plate:

Got the rest of the block and oil pan scrubbed down, new pan gasket, and some fresh paint:

The lack of sludge in the engine when I pulled the pan off and the fresh looking cross-hatching on the cylinder walls makes me suspect that this engine has less than the 100k that were on the odometer of the car it came from.

So far there's no way I would spend the $65 on the blockoff kit. The 40mm freeze plug cost me $1.75 and the sheet of aluminum was $1 at the local metal scrapper.

I found a good looking 1980 4 door at the JY today with a nice set of black vinyl/simulated leather seats. They have a couple small rips, but nothing that can't be fixed with a vinyl repair kit. I got the two front seats with seatbelts and the rear with the pivot hinges for $75. I'll get some pictures of them up soon.
      Last edited by happybunny; 03-12-2012 at 01:32 AM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-24-2012 01:43 PM #29
      Eurospec lightweight flywheel, HD clutch, throwout bearing, distributor shim and gear set, etc are on their way to me. The block surface has been prepped and the pistons decarbonized. Ready for the head install on Thursday. Water pump and belt tensioner assembly is back on, just need to find the right size belt for use with the vr6 pulley on the water pump.

Also finished trimming the breather blockoff plate, just need to fire up the grinder and smooth it out and drill the holes for it.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 01:33 AM #30
      Progress has been slow with only being able to spend an hour or 2 every couple weeks working on it, but I did this last weekend: ( and yes, thats a CIS basic setup that I swapped in for fun)

Amazing how easy the engine comes out when you do it the right way- from the bottom.

Hardest part was unbolting the downpipe. Even with lots of PB Blaster I snapped off 4 of the 6 studs. Used the hoist to support the engine while I unbuttoned everything, then raised it up enough to push the downpipe out of the way. After that I dropped it onto a mover's dolly and used the cherry picker to raise the car and roll the engine/trans out from underneath.

I didn't get a picture of it, but I also took the intake manifold to the local machine shop to have it hot-tanked to get rid of all the grime inside. They ended up doing it for free because they felt bad about forgetting to do it the first day it was there.
      Last edited by happybunny; 04-25-2012 at 01:37 AM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:24 AM #31
      Finished boring out the intake manifold to accommodate the larger MK2 throttle body. Need to finish swapping over the linkage and then I will be gasket matching runners as well.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-06-2012 11:24 PM #32
      Got the tranny separated from the old engine today and needed to check out why the clutch lever was stuck in place. I was expecting to see the pushrod punched through the pressure plate cover, but instead I found this:

The release bearing grenaded, and the PO drove it like that long enough to weld the finger to one side of the bearing, and the pushrod to the other. I can get the finger at the local JY, but I'm having a hard time finding the 4 speed pushrod.

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      05-06-2012 11:51 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
      Got the tranny separated from the old engine today and needed to check out why the clutch lever was stuck in place. I was expecting to see the pushrod punched through the pressure plate cover, but instead I found this:

The release bearing grenaded, and the PO drove it like that long enough to weld the finger to one side of the bearing, and the pushrod to the other. I can get the finger at the local JY, but I'm having a hard time finding the 4 speed pushrod.

yeah i know about those, i put one of those into my 81 and i eventually removed it and put the solid metal type back in there
      the plastic ones can separate and the bearings fall out into the trans......
      i dont know where you can find the solid metal ones.......

GAP should have the pushrod and the fingers
      germanautoparts.com

if you find a source for the metal TO bearings PLEASE let me know i'll buy 3
      hehehe

9. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 12:06 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      yeah i know about those, i put one of those into my 81 and i eventually removed it and put the solid metal type back in there
      the plastic ones can separate and the bearings fall out into the trans......
      i dont know where you can find the solid metal ones.......

GAP should have the pushrod and the fingers
      germanautoparts.com

if you find a source for the metal TO bearings PLEASE let me know i'll buy 3
      hehehe
      GAP has the fingers, but they only list the 5 speed pushrod. Seems to be the norm with all the other parts houses I've checked too.

The new bearing came from Techtonics and it is the plastic/metal combo. The old one had extended plastic tabs coming up out of the top of it, which I haven't seen on any of the new ones. the one pictured here appears to be all metal, but the picture isn't quite clear enough to be sure. http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=020141165E

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 12:21 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
      GAP has the fingers, but they only list the 5 speed pushrod. Seems to be the norm with all the other parts houses I've checked too.

The new bearing came from Techtonics and it is the plastic/metal combo. The old one had extended plastic tabs coming up out of the top of it, which I haven't seen on any of the new ones. the one pictured here appears to be all metal, but the picture isn't quite clear enough to be sure. http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=020141165E
      thats plastic also on busdepot

solid metal ones are solid metal
      i always reference this one
      top right, solid metal

http://www.brokevw.com/TO.html
      (only pic i have of them)

the plastic sleeve actually goes in your trans as a buffer slip between the metal of the trans and the TO bearing
      i dont know where you can get those either.....they are generally required and hold the TO bearing center

i swear they had a 4speed pushrod
      someone does i know it, i have seen them

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 01:27 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      thats plastic also on busdepot

solid metal ones are solid metal
      i always reference this one
      top right, solid metal

http://www.brokevw.com/TO.html
      (only pic i have of them)

the plastic sleeve actually goes in your trans as a buffer slip between the metal of the trans and the TO bearing
      i dont know where you can get those either.....they are generally required and hold the TO bearing center

i swear they had a 4speed pushrod
      someone does i know it, i have seen them
      All metal would be nice. The one I got from TT is a direct fit without the extra plastic sleeve. I did a test fit and the new bearing does not fit inside the old plastic holder.

The pushrod can be ordered at the local dealership, but they run close to $50

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-13-2012 01:51 AM #37
      Spent some time today cleaning up the bay.

Before:

After:

Still need to disassemble the driver's side and clean it up too.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-13-2012 02:08 AM #38
      No pictures this time, but I did finally manage to get a bit more work done. I got the driver's side taken apart and cleaned up. Then I finished painting the belt tensioner assembly, installed the distributor with the TT adaptor ring, and locked it down with a freshly cleaned and painted distributor clamp.

After that I took the engine off the stand and removed and resealed the rear main housing. When that was done I installed the new pressure plate, HD clutch, and lightened flywheel.

Last week I degreased, acid washed, and then painted the transmission. I also put in a replacement pushrod, finger, and guide sleeve that I got from PunchTheFish in the classifieds. Next week I'll be bolting up the transmission and taking care of incidentals before bolting them into the car.

Not sure if I covered it earlier, but I also finished boring out the intake manifold to accept the mk2 throttle body. I ended up modifying some Fox throttle linkage (as in hacked apart with a dremel!) to make everything work on the throttle body. I still want to get a flexible brake hone to polish up the intake manifold runners before installing it.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-26-2012 12:37 AM #39
      Another quick update- i degreased, acid washed, and painted the transmission. I also got the replacement guide sleeve, pushrod, and finger installed. After all that was done I installed the PP, clutch, and lightened flywheel and mated up the transmission.

I've also got a set of coilovers coming in the mail. They will have a temporary home on my convertible until this car is done.
      Last edited by happybunny; 06-26-2012 at 12:40 AM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 04:40 PM #40
      Progress is slow, but what do you expect- I work full time, go to school full time, and have 2 kids... I have on average about an hour a week I can spend on it. That being said, the engine is nearly bolted in. I picked up the rear trans mount last night, and had a new passenger side mount pressed in.

Coming in the mail is some heavy wire and a power distribution block for a battery relocation, and some relays and harnesses to relay the headlights.

I'm debating running Megasquirt on it, since I already have all the parts for it except the MS box and the TPS.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      08-26-2012 09:46 PM #41
      Got some work done today. Engine is in, head installed and torqued, and header and intake are all installed.

Vehicles
      08-27-2012 01:51 AM #42
      pretty clean!

looks good man

getting it ready to start up soon? or doing some other mods?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 11:56 PM #43
      Getting it started and running is the next step, but after that comes relaying the headlights and relocating the battery. I've also managed to track down some 185/60/13s that will be going on stock wheels for now when I swap over the coilovers from my convertible.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 11:58 PM #44
      I decided that a grungy, beat up valve cover wouldn't look right at all, so I cleaned it up, sanded it down, and gave it some paint.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-03-2012 12:07 AM #45
      Decided to do a test section to see what the paint looks like under the grime and oxidation:

Not bad considering it used to be this shade of red:

Door cards are all in really good shape, except for a chunk taken out of the passenger front armrest. Needless to say, I am in the market for another armrest.

Seats are a bit torn up, but I will eventually be reupholstering them.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      09-03-2012 02:11 AM #46
      I've got a deal in the works to trade the rims on my convertible for some 13" Scirocco alloys. Assuming everything goes through I will be putting the 185/60/13s on the Rocco wheels and putting them on this car along with the coilovers, and the stock wheels onto the convertible.

I also picked up a NIB dual-knob style tape deck with an AUX in on the face. Should give me the nice retro look of a tape player with the option of plugging in an IPOD to the aux input. It's only a 2 channel x 7 watts, so I will be using the RCA output to run a couple amps for the speakers and subwoofer.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
      09-03-2012 11:58 AM #47
      great progress! you dont happen to have pictures of the american cars in the field do you? i love that kinda stuff!!

23. Member
      Vehicles
      09-03-2012 04:33 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JustMassive View Post
      great progress! you dont happen to have pictures of the american cars in the field do you? i love that kinda stuff!!
      These ones weren't shot out in the field, but they are 2 cars my former boss picked up from him a couple years ago.

a 1948 Frazer and a 67 Cadillac

24. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 09:37 AM #49
      Got the timing belt done yesterday, and the valve cover installed. Not sure that I like the new style of tensioners. they have 2 pin holes in them to adjust rather than being able to put a wrench on them. I just stuck 2 allen wrenches in the holes and rotated the tensioner by hand.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      09-09-2012 12:10 PM #50
      Deal fell through on the Rocco wheels, but I'm working on another set of 13's. I also picked up a GTI grille and an eggcrate grille to replace the broken one. now I just have to decide which one I want to use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast