Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2012 Golf Clear Bra Solution REVIEW

1. 02-14-2012 01:03 PM #1
      So, I've installed clear bra solutions on 4 of my previous vehicles. The only template I gave up on was the lower bumper on my 2012 Msport X3 35i - what a nightmare. I've done it on 330i, Kia Sorento, Mazda, etc. (I have a 2012 Golf TDI - tech package)

Anyway, I've never really found a product I liked until I started using the Venture Shield product provided by invisible mask . com . There are a ton of companies and bunch of films out there for sure it's difficult sorting through them all and trying to compare.

Currently their site has two template/kit Catalogs (#1, #2). When taking a really hard look at Cat #1 2011 Golf templates vs the Cat #2 2011 Golf templates (because they don't list anything for the 2012's yet) I liked the price and look of the Cat #1 2011 Golf 2.0L 4Dr template.

I just finished installing it and wanted to put some comments and thoughts out there for others who have been brave enough to tackle installing clear bra solutions themselves.

The install went great. I installed on mirrors, headlights, side fenders, lower bumper, hood and yes, REAR upper bumper guard. As always the lower front bumper was the most difficult but with my past experience of about 3-4 other installs I was able to nail it perfectly, even without a second set of hands (which I don't recommend- always have a helper if possible).

If anyone has any questions or thoughts on this let me know. My local tint shop wanted over $550 to install the 3M product they had, I got all of the above plus rear bumper for around $350.

Anyway, went on really nicely, the film is EXTREMELY forgiving, pliable, strong and looks fantastic. Photos where my mouth is:

2. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      02-14-2012 01:38 PM #2
      jesus, resize those pics and re-save them as jpg instead of bmp

3. 02-14-2012 01:56 PM #3
      resized but my damn webserver doesn't like the jpg files GIMP or my iphone produces. Can serve other jpg files. Hopefully the smaller gif's will work and not load too slowly.

Figured people would want good quality look at the lines too

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 4dr, DSG, Autobahn, CW
      02-14-2012 02:06 PM #4
      I have done installs too and yours looks good. Why did you not go to the very edge of the hood/fenders with it? It is designed to be stretched a little to allow that.
      2000 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 217k beater - 2015 MK7 R (Soon)
      SOLD due to job loss: 2011 GTI | DSG | AutoBahn | CW | Mods: APR Stage 1 ECU | Painted Side markers | USP 3k HID Fog H8 Kit | USP License Plate Full LED Kit | ModShack intake | DG Manual Springs | VMR V701 Gunmetal 19x8.5 et 45 w/225/35-19 Continental DW Tires | OEM Front Lip |

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      02-14-2012 02:19 PM #5
      Looks good overall, but from some angles it doesn't look so good. I wonder how it will hold up over time

6. 02-14-2012 02:26 PM #6
      I definitely could have tried to stretch to the edge a little more on the sides for the hood piece, but the overall cut/fitment for the hood piece was really nice and I'm ok with the space I left.

The Bottom bumper piece was stretched as you know it's impossible to install any lower bumper piece without a good bit of stretching. Especially with the turn signals on the bumper and getting them stretched the 6" to line up, all came out really well and I'm pretty happy with the small gap on that piece too.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI 4-door w/ 6-spd manual & tech pkg
      08-19-2012 03:27 PM #7
      It looks decent, but in all honesty, I'd want it wrapped around the edges of the hood and no paint left exposed if it were me. That exposed edge on the front seems like it'll collect dirt and grime, possibly causing the film to peel over time. Personally, I'd never attempt to install this stuff myself. The pros know how to get complete coverage and that's what I want. You did a pretty good job though. I'm getting ready to have VenturShield installed on my 2012 TDI (same as yours, but in black). Not many decent installers in my area, but I'm waiting for estimates back from a couple guys that have solid reputations. I'm gonna do the entire hood, entire front bumper fascia, side mirrors, a-pillars, and front roof edge. It's gonna run a good $650-$700 for the install, but it's well worth it to have it done right (edges wrapped and no exposed paint) and warrantied.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI 4-door w/ 6-spd manual & tech pkg
      09-02-2012 05:08 PM #8
      I had my install scheduled with Block-A-Chip in NE Ohio, but I wound up canceling it because their poor communication and lackadaisical attitude didn't instill confidence. In 4 phone calls and 3 emails I was only able to communicate with them once...and that conversation left me feeling unimpressed. So now I'm searching again. I've been at this for over a month now!

Does anyone know of any top quality installers of Xpel Ultimate film in northeast Ohio area? I'm willing to go as far as Columbus, Toledo, or Pittsburgh, PA for a quality install. I'm tired of getting stone chips on my 1 month old TDI!