VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Modern (Post 2000) cars that might appreciate in value.

36K views 151 replies 93 participants last post by  alleghenyman 
#1 ·
Many of us are all too familiar with the fact that cars are money-pits and you don't get back half the money you put into modding, maintenance, insurance, interest (if financed), etc.

The 1M thread got me thinking, if there are only ~700 of them produced - a low-mileage clean example of one kept in perfect factory condition might INCREASE in value of the years, the same way an E30 M3 would have. What are some newer cars that would apply. Here are some of my picks:

FORD GT

Pontiac G8 GXP

Acura NSX

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#107 ·
As the owner of a clean, lower miles MKIV R32 I would have to say I think in 20-30 years it will be like a very clean old MKI rabbit or GTI. Some average Joe won't care but it will command a high price from an enthusiest. That is why mine isn't a DD.

:laugh:

#110 ·
I'm currently looking for a Z4M Coupe. About 1815 made from 2006-2008, sure don't expect to make money on it but would be happy with very slow depreciation.

Having a car appreciate in value and making a decent return on it are two different things. Add in maintenance and insurance and figure other things to do with your money and you should expect to lose money on almost every (if not every) car made. On top of that, as soon as you are worried about making money on it you end up not driving it because of the miles and are afraid to park anywhere. It turns into a losing asset that you can't even enjoy. For me, at that point car is gone and money goes into a better investment.

#115 ·
uh, no. people hated these cars when they came out, why would they start loving them when they get old? everyone is forgetting the reasons why cars appreciate in value. rarity is one factor, but the two other large factors that contribute are nostalgia and obsolescence. I use the term obsolescence in a good way, meaning they just don't make anything like that anymore. People love muscle cars because A: they remind them of their youth, and good times in the car, and B: they just don't make 'em like they used to, for better or worse. Epitomes of a generation are the cars that fetch the most money.

And you are all missing the point entirely. For reasons yet unknown, in twenty, thirty years time, two mighty warrior tribes will go to war and touch off a blaze which will engulf them all. Without fuel, they will be nothing. Their thundering machines will sputter and stop. The leaders will talk and talk and talk. But nothing will stem the avalanche. The world will crumble. The cities will explode. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men will begin to feed on men. On the roads it will be a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage will survive. The gangs will take over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men will be battered and smashed.

So who is going to be buying these Z8's and Lancer Evos?

#141 ·
Not a chance. They will have strong resale value but won't appreciate. Tell me if a 300ZX TT is worth more than new; nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

#129 ·
my Jeep is depreciating, but very slowly and at an uneven rate. I can sell it today, 3+ years later, for about what I paid for it (purchased with 4400 miles for $31.5k, could probably unload it for ~$30k with 30k miles). although I haven't looked at prices lately with expensive gas. I bought it toward the tail end of the last expensive gas period.

this does discount the fact that I've had to but $2500 in brakes and tires since I've owned it... ;)

#135 ·
Let's talk about cars everyday Joe can buy, not some high end super cars. Most of those never have DD status.
Cars like S2k,R32,TT,M will be more and more desirable as time passes.
They became affordable,so many examples where either moddified to death or destroyed in crash. As time pass the rear unabused examples will keep their value.
Will they be more then msrp?? No, but they will be more then average 15-20yr old car.
Un molested 80s VW,espacially truck wil go for $5-$6k easily. Same thing w 90s Honda, or e30.

Try finding a mk2 Ralleye then tell me R32 won't hold value

#144 ·
Where do all the "gas is running out" comments come from? Cassandra is that you? ;)

What about the collective Car Lounge posting on priuscentral.net and leafboard.com (I totally made these up) about high speed driving, V8 engines and track days?

Anyway, even if gas gets more rare in the relevant time frame - which itself is debatable due to regenerative fuels and new possibilities to explore and exploit oil ressources - I doubt it will have much of an effect on collector cars and/or their pricing. BTW this thread is only about such cars, as no daily driver will ever appreciate if it has no special thing going for it.

The comment about boats above was spot on, hardly anybody needs these, yet lots of people sink huge money into them. Same goes for recreational aviation or horses.

Another thing is, gas prices in Europe are around 4 times as high(?) as in the US yet there still are enthusiasts owning V8 cars and sports cars...

Therefore I am sure that some current cars will appreciate if an enthusiasm about cars is kept (see the "young people loosing interest in cars"-thread).

Back on topic, I agree with the Clownshoe and Z4 Coupe/M Coupe posted above. Both are rare, fast and especially the Z3 Coupe doesn't seem to loose any value any more if in good shape.

#146 ·
The Mk4 R has a really good chance of selling 20 years from now at MSRP if clean and decent on the miles. The syncro comment was already made but that shows the point, who knows though.

I don't understand 90% of these posts though. NOT taking into consideration inflation the E30 M3 doesn't come close to appreciating, the MSRP was over $34,000. I am not finding any cars really over $34k. IMHO appreciation is a car selling more than MSRP and technically should be corrected for inflation. That is over $60,000. So again, someone please tell me how any of these cars aside from about 3 are actually going to or have even appreciated. NSX is no different. Over $80,000 new, and they are NOT selling anywhere close to that.

This thread title should be changed to low production or limited release cars of the 2000's.

#147 ·
There are alot of good candidates posted here that will appreciate in the future i think but almost none will ever be more valuable than they were new. Ya, 10 years from now they will be worth pocket lint but 15 years they might. E worth a few grand (ok, generalization what i mean to say is not zero and a relatiy significant amount)

Basing arguments off 60s muscle cars (prices for which I believe are stupid) is not relevant. There's just so much nostalgia associated with those cars and the boomers that i simply does not exist anymore. Remember, back then north american society was on its ascendancy and life here was only getting better (for the most part of course). I don't think people can honestly say the same now.

Its the nostalgia that makes a freaking mustang with a motoer that only came in 50,000 units as opposd to 1,000,000 worth the $150k that idiots on barret jackson pay.

Do you HONESTLY think someone is gonna get their panties in a bunch to that sort of tune for an r32???? Bear in mind i love that car and think it will at least climb from the bottom values.....

#152 ·
Seconded on the S2000. I dont particularly care if they don't appreciate past their msrp since I didnt buy one new. I am seriously tempted to buy a clean one for $13k now since they won't get any younger or easier to find. It's the FD of its decade without the meltdowns and I have no doubt they'll be in higher demand ten years from now when Honda is only making holistic crossovers powered by rubber bands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.