Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: (Most) Roofs Suck

Hybrid View

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 JSW TDI
      02-15-2012 08:12 PM #1
      What do you think? Are the overdone roofs as bad as this guy says? What about in a mild climate where you're not that worried about snow?
      http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...es-roof-design

For example:
      1. Avoid valleys
      If you are designing the roof of a new house, try to design a roof without any valleys. Valleys concentrate water and often clog with ice. It’s far more common to have leaks or ice dam problems near valleys than in the middle of a simple sloped roof.

Many valleys exist because of a designer’s conceit rather than necessity. Often, these valleys trace back to the mistaken belief that a chopped-up, complicated, multi-plane roof looks better than a simple gable. It doesn’t.

2. Just say no to dormers and skylights
      There’s no reason for a new house to have a dormer. When I see a dormer, I conclude that the designer or the architect made a mistake. They didn’t include enough interior space, and the homeowner was forced to cut a hole in the roof because the ceiling was too low to stand up.

If you want to build a multi-story house, that’s fine. If you want two floors, build two floors. If you want three floors, build three floors. Then build a roof over the top floor. This roof shouldn’t have any deliberate holes in it. The “no holes” rule covers both dormers and skylights.

02-15-2012 08:41 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post
      What do you think? Are the overdone roofs as bad as this guy says? What about in a mild climate where you're not that worried about snow?

For example:
      Sounds more like an opinion piece to me. What looks good to one person may not look good to another.

He's spot on with saying that valleys are problematic, but that can be alleviated by folded or metal valleys and lots of ice shield.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

3. 04-11-2012 03:56 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Sounds more like an opinion piece to me. What looks good to one person may not look good to another.

He's spot on with saying that valleys are problematic, but that can be alleviated by folded or metal valleys and lots of ice shield.
      Bingo. Now I will say IMO, most asphalt shingles are utter crap, even the "lifetime" warrenty ones. My parents home is 33 years old, and has had the roof replaced or significantly repairs 3 times, and that is using high end shingles.

The roof on my house isnt in perfect condition, but it still doesnt leak, looks good, and oh did I mention its almost 80 years old?

Slate for the win.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      04-11-2012 06:55 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      The roof on my house isnt in perfect condition, but it still doesnt leak, looks good, and oh did I mention its almost 80 years old?

Slate for the win.
      I took a quick look at using slate on my roof. I ran away when I realized that I would have to re-frame to handle the extra weight.

If you have a house with asphalt shingles, you don't have many options. Asphalt or a metal roof. I'm at least using much thicker-heavier asphalt shingles. GAF Slateline. They might not be lifetime shingles for you but I'm 53. By the time my place needs a new roof, I won't care.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      04-11-2012 08:22 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Bingo. Now I will say IMO, most asphalt shingles are utter crap, even the "lifetime" warrenty ones. My parents home is 33 years old, and has had the roof replaced or significantly repairs 3 times, and that is using high end shingles.

Slate for the win.
      I agree. They should call them ****gles.

My folks have a tile roof. 40+ yrs without an issue.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

04-12-2012 08:03 AM #6
      So what do you guys think about metal roofs? I think they look great, and I think they make great claims about longevity, but how do they really hold up long term compared to asphalt shingles? Negatives?
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

7. 04-12-2012 09:52 AM #7
      ^^^I'd like to know this too...

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-12-2012 09:54 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      So what do you guys think about metal roofs? I think they look great, and I think they make great claims about longevity, but how do they really hold up long term compared to asphalt shingles? Negatives?
      Likely that the next house we build will have a metal roof. If installed correctly, they can last a real long time.

9. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-12-2012 10:41 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      They have to fit with the design of the house. I've seen some houses that had shingles but then got metal roofs installed and they looked terrible.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-10-2012 12:17 PM #10
      This guy definitely has strong opinions and is obviously in Yankee-land. I partnered with a co-worker designing houses in a southern state that didn't require an architect to sign off on. The main issue with milder climates is the same as colder climates. Pine straw and leaves clog valleys the same or worse than ice. Just about all of this can be avoided with steeper than Ranch roof pitch and proper flashing/roofing/valley prep/gutters. I preferred to design houses at a steeper pitch w/ and w/o hips because of the visual appeal, more gable area for more venting, and taller attic space for storage and getting hot air away from ceilings/insulation. My partner preferred cheaper construction of lower pitched roof designs and less valleys. The only time I would go low pitch and all hip was for coastal, lake houses, or someone concerned with tornados (legit concern in Alabama).
      Roll Tide & War Eagle but stuck in LSU Country
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      Saints - WHO DAT! ROAD WIN?!
      NOLA Pelicans
      Orioles - Thank You Showalter & all the O's!

04-10-2012 12:25 PM #11
      I would disagree in that a low slope roof in a snow climate actually aids in snow retention, leading to a crazy thermal blanket, of sorts. We, in the north, often design intentional cold roofs to prevent ice damming, which is far more destructive than a little snow on the roof.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-10-2012 01:36 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post

For example:
      Guy seems to be a bit of an extremist. Properly built and designed valleys are not problematic. And neither are properly designed dormers and skylights.

Personally, I hate hip roofs.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

04-10-2012 01:48 PM #13
      They are not terribly material efficient. Lots of waste.

I have a mixture of roof styles on my home. They can be pleasing together.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      04-10-2012 05:15 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      They are not terribly material efficient. Lots of waste.

I have a mixture of roof styles on my home. They can be pleasing together.
      I can see why a roofer would love a hip roof. It's a really easy job that never goes wrong.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      04-10-2012 05:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post

Personally, I hate hip roofs.
      You must really hate FL then as it is the most common design due to the hurricane threat.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-10-2012 11:43 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      You must really hate FL then as it is the most common design due to the hurricane threat.
      There are way better reasons for hating Fla.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...