Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VWvortex Feature - Our First Look at the new Golf 7 MQB Architecture

1. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      02-16-2012 01:45 PM #1
      Last week we had a unique opportunity to go to Wolfsburg, Germany to learn a little bit about Volkswagen Group's new MQB component architecture. Volkswagen Group brands (Volkswagen, Audi, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche and more) comprise more than 200 individual models of cars. The complexity involved in trying to reduce costs and the number of components, meeting exceedingly strict emission and safety standards all the while reducing waste and consumption is obviously quite huge. MQB not only represents a new car specific part platform, but also an all-new modular engine program and modular production program. With MQB VW can build any vehicle from Polo to Mid-size SUV utilizing the same assembly line. Likewise, if a factory supports MQB, then producing an Audi, Seat or Skoda product at the same facility is also a possibility. This gives VW Group brands the ultimate flexibility to build market specific trim variations and response to regional needs far quicker while reducing the overall complexity involved in supporting so many products...

FULL STORY...

Vehicles
      02-16-2012 02:05 PM #2
      2.8L VR6 Turbo....If that goes into a Golf. Yes, please.
      2.5T....If that goes into a Golf. Yes, please.

Vehicles
      2002 Audi Allroad
      02-16-2012 02:15 PM #3
      So this means there is no excuse for us not to get any VW offered in the UK...

Vehicles
      Many
      02-16-2012 02:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Magmakensuke View Post
      You mean, aside from NA demand?
      Rob | A6 | GTI | Tiguan | JSW | Cabrio | Rabbit | 5+5

02-16-2012 02:50 PM #5
      As the article states, it depends on the Mexico engine plant.
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

6. 02-16-2012 03:34 PM #6
      awesome to see VAG flex the engineering muscle.
      I've seen this happen, in other peoples lives, now its happened in mine...... <------ME New Phaeton Owner.

Vehicles
      2.0 2000 NB
      02-16-2012 03:46 PM #7
      This just makes me love VW even more. It's such a great company.

And perfect timing for my first new car purchase in a couple years post graduation

Vehicles
      03 GTI
      02-16-2012 03:49 PM #8
      I just hope the mk7 golf looks good.
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh_attacks View Post
      Our cars! Ha yea talk when you have a gti!

Vehicles
      b5 S4 + mk2 GLI
      02-16-2012 04:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Estate View Post
      You mean, aside from NA demand?

very true. and it's not even necessarily the lack of demand for cars like this, it's the lack of profitability for cars like this. they bring them here, but other cars are too big, so they don't get bought. that's why smartcar did not have the results they wanted. they did well the first year when people who wanted them already got them, but then after that... jack ****! because subconsciously, or even consciously, people cross off the idea just because it is the norm to imagine cars as bigger here and that means a general sense of wanting to be safe. people don't think 'oh that would benefit me', because we didn't grow up living around all small cars. we just don't even see the benefits like europeans do; whom have much different emissions standards.. the reason their cars have continued to be so much smaller. we don't have those lower models with 1.3 liter engines for a reason... they wouldn't sell. just to the enthusiasts and for people who buy it for novelty(like most of the people who buy smartcars).
      quattro-penetration
      my b5 + R sticker is better than your R with stickers

Vehicles
      95 S6 Avant, 10 Jetta TDI, 83 GTi
      02-16-2012 04:46 PM #10
      My question...what the hell is this going to do to the part number system?

Seems to me it may be a radical change coming...
      I bleed New York orange and blue Lets Go Mets!
      EMI Parts

Vehicles
      2011 Shark Blue Golf TDI, 1980 4 Door Rabbit LS, 1979 VW Bus, 2000 GTI 1.8T *sold*, 2009 GTI *sold*
      02-16-2012 04:49 PM #11
      Pretty awesome that the base model VW will now be a 1.8T. That is pretty awesome for the tuner on a budget! Hopefully this new structure of the VW manufacturing will help lower prices and not just increase profits for VW.

12. 02-16-2012 05:39 PM #12
      This is one of the most significant report I have seen in years regarding the development of a new VW product. I cant help the butterflies in the stomach feeling after reading this article.

The innovations/achievements discussed is astounding and technically challenging. Having a mass-production platform that can be reconfigured with different alloys based on model using the same production line is extremely difficult to accomplish at the manufacturing level and you need to have a lot of faith in your quality control to pull this off.

Nothing currently on the market will be able to compete with the MQB products.

On another topic, I pray that VW will keep the VR6 alive. The sound and smoothness is addictive, I also believe with all things equal it should be a faster revving engine. Contrary to popular belief 5 cylinders are oftentimes no lighter that a six cylinder due to the extra beefing-up that is required and don't usually offer any advantage in other areas for performance engine applications.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

13. 02-16-2012 06:39 PM #13
      This is terrific news, and I am very impressed with the info on the new E288 diesel. If the new A3 has this engine, and especially if it has a hatchback 4 door design, I will be one of the first A3 buyers in Canada.

14. 02-16-2012 07:19 PM #14
      The possibilities are huge.
      But in this weird economic downturn, i suspect the economy will win this time. No Golf or cheaper GTI.

Its funny how they sell the GTI at Audi prices. The fun cars are no longer cheaper or somewhat attainable. The price for a GTI is the same as a loaded Nissan Altima. For us, that grew with VWs they leave us no option but buying the family oriented choice.

the Mk4 Gti was priced about 25% more than the base/average model. The MK6 is priced 50% more expensive than the base car.

Dont they really know the economic is "in the hole" and they could sell 50% more Gtis by taking out the unneccesary bells from the car?

Vehicles
      German vehicles.
      02-16-2012 07:22 PM #15
      Wow! Awesome writeup! Thank you

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 GLS, 2011 Jetta 2.5 SE
      02-16-2012 09:43 PM #16
      Mind as well purchase a Cobalt if it is basically the same car as an Impala. VW's used to have spirit and uniqueness. BMW

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 Jeep Liberty sport & '13 fusion ecoboost
      02-16-2012 09:47 PM #17
      Did i read the specs on the new 2.0tdi right? 188hp/280 tq? Is that going to be in the US, or is that the euro model numbers like the current GTD engine.
      I'll take my Koenigsegg Agera R anyway they want to give it to me. It can be pink, covered in 'Hello Kitto' livery and have a plate that reads 'I SUCK IT" and I'd still drive it with pride....

Vehicles
      12' Jetta S, 93' Corrado SLC
      02-16-2012 11:05 PM #18
      R.I.P. Allen A.K.A. vr6inside98. 89'-11' I LOVE YOU MAN
      Tri state area. VAG-COM (VCDS) Scans/Mods available (HEX+CAN)/Suspension install available/Fender rolling available. Send me a PM for pricing!
      Instagram- @mr_toffee

19. 02-16-2012 11:14 PM #19
      It will be a good day, yet it will be a sad day.

Vehicles
      12' Jetta S, 93' Corrado SLC
      02-17-2012 06:27 AM #20
      When is this looking to start? I just started a 3year lease on my mk6 Jetta. Hopefully by then this will have been started
      R.I.P. Allen A.K.A. vr6inside98. 89'-11' I LOVE YOU MAN
      Tri state area. VAG-COM (VCDS) Scans/Mods available (HEX+CAN)/Suspension install available/Fender rolling available. Send me a PM for pricing!
      Instagram- @mr_toffee

21. Banned
      Vehicles
      72 TR-6, 78 911SC, 84 Vanagon Wesfalia, 06 Colorado, 00 Mk4 GTI w/R on order
      02-17-2012 07:42 AM #21
      VW would still need to get the vehicles certified for sale in the USA. If there is no market for the version, there would be no justification to invest the millions in USA approval.

22. Banned
      Vehicles
      72 TR-6, 78 911SC, 84 Vanagon Wesfalia, 06 Colorado, 00 Mk4 GTI w/R on order
      02-17-2012 07:46 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Sharpix View Post
      ....Dont they really know the economic is "in the hole" and they could sell 50% more Gtis by taking out the unneccesary bells from the car?
      Do you have a reference to your marketing information source that is better than VW's marketing information? Do you have an opinion why VW would not be offering the car in the form that is wanted? Are they trying to limit sales, do you think?

Vehicles
      '00/Audi/S4
      02-17-2012 08:41 AM #23
      No mention of when the Scirocco will be avialable in the US.
      Signature blank...

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01 VW Jetta VR6
      02-17-2012 08:54 AM #24
      Lower it.

25. 02-17-2012 10:10 AM #25
      The VAQ diff better be available on the next GTI here. It would be a big mistake if VW leaves that out, it should be standard on the GTI. Then bump the power in the 2.0T to 280hp, I'm tired of so many people complaigning that the GTI is under powered.

Vehicles
      2003 MkIV GTI
      02-17-2012 10:16 AM #26
      Does this mean that we will finally get a 6-speed stick in the Golf?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2001/Rave Green GTi, 2012 Beetle
      02-17-2012 11:35 AM #27
      This all looks promising. Particularly for the GTI. MKVII may be in my future.
      Revo Stage2 | 4 Bar FPR | GHL Downpipe | Milltek Catback Exhaust | Forge 007 DV | Neuspeed P-Flo | Neuspeed Turbo Inlet Pipe | Neuspeed Short Shift Link | Eibach Pro Kits | Koni Sport Yellows | 25the AE body Kit | 25th AE Aluminum trim | BBS RCs

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta TDI
      02-17-2012 11:38 AM #28
      Did i hear just read that the TDI will feature a 188 hp engine with 280 pounds of trq ?

Can you say ..chip a TDI and run 13 second quarter mile

Who da hell would wanna buy the 2.5l or 2.0t if the tdi is going to be that fast ? and still running 1200km a tank ?

wow....good job vw
      Feed the beast only the good stuff

Shell V- Power Diesel

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      02-17-2012 12:55 PM #29
      Oh good reading for later! Going to tweet this ASAP: @LuvGermanCars
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

30. 02-17-2012 02:56 PM #30
      This would be interesting if one were to know that you have a chance at getting the diesel in your vehicle of interest, lane assist, park assist, the LSD, and other features. Since the NA market gets reduced engine choices and features, its nothing more than a tease. VW's ultra conservative approach is starting to become somewhat of a bore. Foreign and domestic manufacturers in NA are catching up on traditional VW strengths (handling, powertrain, features) as VW is trying to become more like the completion by deleting content and devolving the product to 10 years ago (2.slow, beam rear suspension, drum brakes). If I wanted a Toyota Corolla or Camry, that's what I'd buy so I could get the quality associated with the brand. I don't want to buy a bland, defeatured car plus have to deal with VWs less than exceptional quality.

MQB just further enables VW to make the interesting cars Europeans expect and the garbage they feel NA deserves.
      Last edited by VR6Now; 02-17-2012 at 03:06 PM.

31. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      02-17-2012 05:49 PM #31
      Ok, I feel your frustration, but when was the last time you drove a Golf 6 GTI or Golf R (or Jetta GLI or new Passat for that matter)?

I know it is fashionable to throw them under the bus for trying to be profitable in the U.S. market, but here's the deal - profitability means we can actually get the cool stuff. Some of the features you talk about are the type of thing that people think are cool, but in reality aren't will to pay for at the end of the day. You can't just sell a bunch of $30k Jettas to a handful of people. If VW is profitable, they can justify offering some of those luxury features (if the demand is there or competitors offer them) because it is a built-in cost absorbed in the profits (to an extent).

The new Jetta is a worst case example of a car that just didn't get the oversight it should have under old management. That said (and despite the criticism) it is selling like crazy and profitable. Clearly the automotive press and a handful of enthusiasts don't know crap about the real market for cars. However (and this is important), despite the sales success, VW has been quietly fixing the criticisms with the Jetta. The higher trim level cars are getting soft-touch plastics added back in. The 2.5l engine will be replaced by a far better 1.8TSI and on and on. The Passat shows that VW can build a very good car with the feel and quality of a German/European car and sell it at a price point that is extremely competitive. With sales success of the Passat comes more options like HID's and LED tails and other things that some of the much smaller higher-end customers want.

Lets be frank - the Golf III and Golf IV were crap boxes with loads of problems. Golf V/Jetta V got much, much better in terms of quality and things have gotten much better. MQB is a worldwide component platform and has been engineered for the German market first and everything else second. That means at its core, it will be European and still feel like a proper Volkswagen. Let's wait and see what the future holds. Or you can always buy a Toyota.

-jamie

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      02-17-2012 07:06 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      The new Jetta is a worst case example of a car that just didn't get the oversight it should have under old management. That said (and despite the criticism) it is selling like crazy and profitable. Clearly the automotive press and a handful of enthusiasts don't know crap about the real market for cars. However (and this is important), despite the sales success, VW has been quietly fixing the criticisms with the Jetta. The higher trim level cars are getting soft-touch plastics added back in. The 2.5l engine will be replaced by a far better 1.8TSI and on and on. The Passat shows that VW can build a very good car with the feel and quality of a German/European car and sell it at a price point that is extremely competitive. With sales success of the Passat comes more options like HID's and LED tails and other things that some of the much smaller higher-end customers want.

Lets be frank - the Golf III and Golf IV were crap boxes with loads of problems. Golf V/Jetta V got much, much better in terms of quality and things have gotten much better. MQB is a worldwide component platform and has been engineered for the German market first and everything else second. That means at its core, it will be European and still feel like a proper Volkswagen. Let's wait and see what the future holds. Or you can always buy a Toyota.

-jamie
      Jamie -

That kind of brutal honesty is sorely lacking in the world, thanks.

Great write up about MQB. The implications for the auto industry as a whole are immense. This new architecture will be a major game changer and provide some significant competitive advantages.

Vehicles
      2001 vw jetta wolfsburg
      02-17-2012 08:09 PM #33
      This is all fine and dandy but unless vw lets the styling department make some inspirational design choices I will never buy a new vw again! IMO the last really nice looking designs ended with the mk4. The new passat makes me sick because it looks like a lumpy ford fusion with some audiesk tail lights.

Vw now that the underpinnings are in line let all the artists get together to develop great designs through out the family.

Man I never log in anymore but this thread is very interesting.

Keep the good stuff coming please.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG CSG
      02-17-2012 08:30 PM #34
      Funny how I posted a link to an Autoblog article about this very subject a few weeks ago and the post magically disappeared within a few hours...

35. 02-17-2012 10:21 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Brush View Post
      Does this mean that we will finally get a 6-speed stick in the Golf?
      Already possible ... just buy a TDI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast