Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I need some 02M vrt insights

Vehicles
      96' VRT
      02-16-2012 03:29 PM #1
      After debating for some weeks on selling my VRT, i decided to keep it
      But im planning on selling the 02S and switching to 02M.

I got a good price on a 02M with about 30k on it, wich i'm picking up this saturday.
      The owner has some more stuff laying around flywheel, clutch etc.

But i'm debating on what i can use. i've read about the duall mass flywheel not being capable of handeling more than +/-400 hp, is this true?

Should i also take the clutch and flywheel?

Im running 389whp/460nm, and that number will most likely increase to around 500whp.
      I hope you guy's can give me some insights on the OEM 02M parts.

Pim
      Ex-VRT owner

Vehicles
      GLi 5857 SLC 6262
      02-16-2012 08:47 PM #2
      Im in the middle of my o2m vrt swap right now so I cant help you much with the results but I can help with what I'm planning as I've already had experience with the o2m in my bt 1.8t. The bt 1.8t is stock clutch/dm flywheel and is/has been putting down 400hp/350ishtq for the past 3 years and it has 90k miles on it total. It has just started to slip recently during 4th and higher pulls, this car hasnt seen any track time.

I bought an o2m swap for my corrado and with it already having a peloquin, I figured it already had a decent clutch to go with it but it still had stock clutch/flywheel. Said hell no , and ordered up a south bend stg3(used to be called 4)SS OFE clutch with flywheel. Full face disc rated for 475 which is what I'm shooting for at the wheels with 6262/c2 630cc combo. I plan on running this car at the strip and the roadcourse but not making a living off either. The clutch/flywheel was not cheap but when you fit the o2m in there, you definitely dont want to pull it out again
      apex-tuning.com
      NC's premiere watercooled parts and performance
      Ipanemarado

Vehicles
      B5 S4; Mk2 VRt
      02-16-2012 10:03 PM #3
      I've run the same 02m in the mk2 for 6 years. Aside from the short gearing, it's the strongest I've encountered.

I wouldn't use that dual mass for high torque, but it does take a lot off the driveline for street cruising. If you ditch the flywheel, you can probably compromise with a sprung hub disc, but its limitations will be determined by the manufacturer.

I don't know what chassis you plan to cram that into, but anything Mk3 and below takes a little fabricating. In fact, I think there's a thread in here somewhere regarding that swap.

Regardless, I don't believe you'll regret the work in the end.

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      02-16-2012 10:13 PM #4
      I researched the hell out of this when i did my o2m setup last year. Took months to make a final decision and collect enough info. general consensus is, the DM fw is a bad idea if you plan to make some power. longevity becomes an issue/ along with the possibility of catastrophic failure. boost will wear out the DM quickly...its not exactly designed for holding 4-500+whp etc. especially in a swap situation like the corrado, its not just "drop the trans" when something goes wrong, The whole assy. has to come out, as I'm sure you know.

light weight flywheels really suck for use w/ the 02m. Clutch chatter is nasty along with major gear lash. Stock weight, single mass FW if the best option IMO for the 02m. I had a hell of a time finding someone that made it. I was about to have a machine shop turn one out for me. I called many places and found that Eurospec makes this exact FW for the vr6. I had to special order it ( around $300) but well worth the wait. I had the fw and PP balanced together for a nice smooth rotating mass. For a clutch, I did Clutchnet 2xpp and full face copper feramic disk. Im making around 550whp fwiw.

With that said, I highly recommend the single mass stock weight. you'll be very happy w/ it. im a picky ****in guy and have no complaints about my setup. sorry for the novel, just wanted to share my exp. since this was an issue for me also when i went 02m.

heres a pic of the FW:
      Last edited by dasbeast3.0; 02-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Vehicles
      96' VRT
      02-17-2012 03:46 AM #5
      Thanks for the info!
      Let the search for a single mass begin
      Ex-VRT owner

Vehicles
      94 VRT Corrado
      02-17-2012 07:50 PM #6
      I bought my flywheel from fourseasostuning, its steel billet, weighs about 20lb, it does chatter but I dont mind it, Think I paid around $400 shipped for it a year ago. As for clutch I have a southbend stage 5 in there, its full face ceramic unsprung. It grabs hard, its like a on/off switch, but thats what I was looking for. Combined with the dieselgeek sigma short shifter, it transferred the car completely, feels like a whole new beast. Not sure what you're doing with driveshafts, but I went with 800hp DSS shafts, set me back around $1k, but at least I have no real weak points now. Just waiting on lugtronics now and put this setup to test, planning on making around 600whp.

7. 02-17-2012 09:15 PM #7
      i welded my dual mass fly wheel up been running 3 years with no problems my buddy has a
      billet fourseasostuning flywheel and has gearbox chatter at idle
      the driveshafts i used is short shaft off the mk4 pd tdi part number 1j0 407 271gc
      the long shaft from a 2005 seat ibiza asz engine 6 speed or fabia vrs part number 6Q0 407 272 CL
      is a bolt on fit (mk3 golf vr6)

i fitted a cheap 2wd obx diff into the 4motion box and this is still going strong 28psi daily 3 years i did rebuild it with quality springs and thread locked the new bolts

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm
      Last edited by magner; 02-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      02-17-2012 11:11 PM #8
      Hopefully you had the dual mass shaved flat and balanced after welding. Sounds like a decent/cheap alternative to get by but kinda sketchy long term wise.

9. 02-18-2012 10:48 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      Hopefully you had the dual mass shaved flat and balanced after welding. Sounds like a decent/cheap alternative to get by but kinda sketchy long term wise.
      i did not have it shaved flat althought that would be best idea if welded wrong ..
      what i did was pack with shims so it was equal all round then i put a big bolt threw the centre to and tightened it up to nip onto the shims then i put 4 tack welds on then removed the bolt and hammered the shims out .i balanced a crank on a balancing machine then fitted the flywheel it did not need any balancing here is a crappy vid off nokia 6630
      http://tinypic.com/r/24yu4vk/5

Vehicles
      96 Golf VRT. 07 Mini Cooper, 12 Skoda Superb 2,0 TDI
      02-19-2012 08:06 AM #10
      02M is the way to go with VR6 Turbo. Just be sure to get a clutch that will hold the torque. Just do it right the first time. That said, a twindisc setup should be the way to go when you have some power in your engine. A low boost VRT "15psi and below" you can use almost any 02M clutch you want.
      So many R32 Turbos that have singel disc setups and it breaks after a while. Why cheap out, and buy problems, when you can spend money and get something that hold

Be sure to get a good gearbox mount. I needed to get a new gearbox because all 3 threads in the casing is completely broken.
      Now a DRP is going in, togheter with a DLITeknik mount and a dogbone under the car.
      2012 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI avant: Daily family car
      1996 Golf MK3 12V Turbo. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...er-VR6-T/page6
      2007 Mini Cooper sport: Dailydriver

Vehicles
      96' VRT
      02-20-2012 06:51 AM #11
      Picked up the tranny + a starter this saturday, the guy where i got it also has a shifter tower etc, so i'm also picking that up from him.
      Ran into 2 part numbers for stock VAG axles that fit a mk3 setup, i have a big chance of finfing them at the local junkyard.

I also found a chromoly FW @ a german shop, it's around 6 kg, i"ll search a bit more to see if i can find a heavier FW(in europe).
      As for a clutch: im leaning towards a clutchnet red PP with extra clamping load, + a six-puck spung disk.
      Ex-VRT owner

Vehicles
      Mk3 VRT, Mk4 VRT, Mk4 VRT, B5 1.8BT
      02-20-2012 11:49 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by pimS View Post
      Ran into 2 part numbers for stock VAG axles that fit a mk3 setup, i have a big chance of finfing them at the local junkyard.
      Please elaborate.
      "OP sounds like a MKIV guy"

Vehicles
      96' VRT
      02-20-2012 02:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by V-dubbulyuh View Post
      Please elaborate.
      -short shaft off the mk4 pd tdi part number 1j0 407 271gc
      -long shaft from a 2005 seat ibiza asz engine 6 speed or fabia vrs part number 6Q0 407 272 CL

Quote Originally Posted by magner View Post
      i welded my dual mass fly wheel up been running 3 years with no problems my buddy has a
      billet fourseasostuning flywheel and has gearbox chatter at idle
      the driveshafts i used is short shaft off the mk4 pd tdi part number 1j0 407 271gc
      the long shaft from a 2005 seat ibiza asz engine 6 speed or fabia vrs part number 6Q0 407 272 CL
      is a bolt on fit (mk3 golf vr6)

i fitted a cheap 2wd obx diff into the 4motion box and this is still going strong 28psi daily 3 years i did rebuild it with quality springs and thread locked the new bolts

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

hahaha i totally forgot magner posted it in my own thread

Oh yeah , another question:

What is the difference between a 24V and R32 clutch? They are priced differently on a lot of sites, but they both use the 02M...
      Last edited by pimS; 02-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.
      Ex-VRT owner

14. 02-20-2012 09:12 PM #14
      there is a short shaft on ebay here but its in uk
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON-...item3cc15e1a99

or this one twice the price with nut a bolts if you want to pay more

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-1-...item4ab4409739

15. 02-23-2012 12:11 AM #15
      Hi! I'm too in process of installation of 02m into Mk2, but stuck with gearbox rear mount.
      Does anybody has measurements for movement of rear support on the k-frame ?

And if anybody have any drawing of support that's need to be make, could you share a little info.

Thanks in advance.

BTW.: if you use 4 cilinder disel/gas engine, you could use complete set from Audi TT Quattro 6 speed, as they have same measurement

Vehicles
      96' VRT
      02-23-2012 11:55 AM #16
      No one knows the 24v/r32 clutch and flywheel difference?
      Ex-VRT owner

Vehicles
      Not Vortex Approved
      02-23-2012 01:21 PM #17
      Stock clutch in my 24v o2m slipped at 7psi with my precision 6265. The car had 50k when I turbocharged it. The clutch looked brand new when I took it out, just couldn't hold.

FX400 ever since and it's been delightful Seriously smooth, and even pretty damn quiet with the aluminum flywheel that I went with instead of steel, which would be even quieter, and smoother.

I'm not sure of the differences between r32 and 24v if there even are any...i'm sure someone will chime in.

Vehicles
      94 VRT Corrado
      02-23-2012 01:50 PM #18
      From what i know, the clutches are the same but the flywheels are differrent. Contact james at fourseasontuning he sells them so he'd know better.

Vehicles
      24v VRT
      02-24-2012 08:24 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post
      FX400 ever since and it's been delightful Seriously smooth, and even pretty damn quiet with the aluminum flywheel that I went with instead of steel, which would be even quieter, and smoother.
      Same here - FX400, but I went with a steel flywheel. It's a tad chattery.... but you don't notice it unless you really listen for it. This setup is super smooth..... easy to drive for a daily application
      Last edited by 24vGTiVR6; 02-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.