Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I'm so tired

Vehicles
      Five two-seaters, a hatchback, and a big ass pickup truck
      02-16-2012 11:56 PM #1
      We cleaned out the inventory of magical 195/50/15 Toyo R1Rs at the semi-local tire shop, so now we're ready for the coming season. We got a set of shaved tires mounted on 15x7.5 6UL wheels, and a set of full-treads that'll go on our RPF1 once I get the last couple of runs out of last year's set on those. The full-tread tires will be for what little daily driving our Miata does as well as serving as rain tires and something to use for lower-key events like BMWCCA.

Test fitting the 6ULs

The inventory taking up valuable dining room space (the house smells like a tire shop! Yummy!)

Hope everyone else's off-season prep is coming along nicely.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta | '69 T3 Squareback
      02-17-2012 05:59 PM #2
      Why are you tired?

Those were the first tire I used when I first got into autox. Boy are they sticky.

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      02-20-2012 08:28 AM #3
      It's a pun

My off-season prep sucks. Miata + formerly (poorly) repaired crank keyway issue discovered on the way to replace the crank seal. Solution: forget the crank seal, re-do the poor "fix" of the previous owner, and hope the cam seals were responsible for the majority of the leak. Dreaming that I can make it through the majority of this season until I have time to deal with the crank properly. We'll see how that goes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      02-20-2012 10:32 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      It's a pun

My off-season prep sucks. Miata + formerly (poorly) repaired crank keyway issue discovered on the way to replace the crank seal. Solution: forget the crank seal, re-do the poor "fix" of the previous owner, and hope the cam seals were responsible for the majority of the leak. Dreaming that I can make it through the majority of this season until I have time to deal with the crank properly. We'll see how that goes.
      Doh! Did you ask Rich about it? I get the impression Rich is more of a driver than a wrencher, so he may not have done the work himself.

Vehicles
      02-20-2012 12:49 PM #5
      After his original SNC failure he bought this engine used and just dropped it in.

Fresh timing belt by the previous owner...there's the 'Doh!' part of things.
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

Vehicles
      Five two-seaters, a hatchback, and a big ass pickup truck
      02-21-2012 05:52 PM #6
      Fortunately, our primary autocrosser is a '93 so we don't have to worry about the SNC issue. However, the backup '90 (170K miles) is not so lucky. I told the wife that if the SNC problem shows up on that car, I'm going to go to FM and order up a LSx. She just rolls her eyes at the thought.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

Vehicles
      02-21-2012 09:16 PM #7
      Mine is a long nose. You can mess up any of them if the crank bolt isn't properly torqued.