Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get someone to look at your resume, without a degree

02-23-2012 11:55 AM #26
      Highlight your real world experience and put your education last.

You just want to get in the door for an interview. At that point, advantage should go to you.

Any hiring manager that has authority to actually hire is not going to overlook a qualified person due to lack of a bachelor's degree.

If you dont get a response - think of it as a blessing and move on.

If you do end up with the job, be aware you could end up frustrated as a person with lots of experience surrounded by people with no experience with bachelor's degree.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      03-02-2012 08:35 AM #27
      Quick update, got past this initial stage and they have sent me a list of questions to answer. I am fairly sure if I can give good answers to the questions, that I will be in with a shot at an interview.

My problem is, I am struggling to come up with answers, for 2 of the questions. While I know I have something to answer, I am having a hard time picking something, and then wording it. If anyone may be able to help, please PM me.

Thanks.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

03-04-2012 06:44 PM #28
      At 33 what will a degree in your field teach you ?

I wasted my time going for an online one , and I knew more then the teacher did.

Unless I am going to a Stamp issuing Mechanical Engineer a 4 year degree will be a total waste for me.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      03-05-2012 05:44 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      those campus recruiters are comission/bonus based, they make profit on getting people to sign up for the school.
      Illegal in the United States, FYI. While there might be a bonus, it isn't related to specific enrollments.

i get people with MBA's from phoenix online all the time and they go right in the shredder.
      Agreed, a really bad joke when you find out how much they paid to have a degree from an institution that is a joke in the Business world.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Nothing against you, but I think you are making a terrible generalization and really not helping here.
      Don't worry, I have thick skin

I apologize if my comments were taken as the only scenario. In fact, in the short time I was recruiting (almost 10yrs), it was not uncommon to evaluate candidates with online education certificates against traditional bricks & mortar educated candidates. I recruited corporate business positions and Manufacturing operations leadership (programs, engineering, operations, accounting/finance).

I frequently saw clear disparity in the caliber of candidates that had an online education as opposed to traditional education. There is no replacement for human contact at this point. Can you learn in a vacuum without personal interaction? Yes. Does learning in a vacuum yield the same quality? No.

Also, I did have managers that plainly told me "I need someone with a degree for this role, and no, it can't be an online degree." Or they'd joke about what a load of crap online education is. And I had to agree, the caliber of candidates I ever saw with University of Phoenix was just poor (and super expensive for those poor bastards).

well, im a recruiter and dave used to be a recruiter, i dont know how many resumes he sees a day but i see anywhere from 20-100 at least.
      You got me beat! I see zero per day, thank God.

I might be making the switch to IT, was approached by a company locally.
      I'd recommend doing that even if it means a marginal cut in pay. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3WhiteWolf View Post
      Just so we're clear, I'm only taking issue with your comment that most online classes are offered by private sector schools, and that somehow there is a "thin line" between a private virtual/e-learning school, and the online course offerings of a traditional college or university.
      Just so I'm being clear, online education is not highly regarded by much of the working world.

But beyond that statement, I just didn't see the quality I needed when I was recruiting, from online education schools based on my history with candidates. I mean, how many suspect candidates do you need to see from online schools before you just say "OK, everyone from University of Phoenix gets shredded"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3WhiteWolf View Post
      So then you agree that it probably isn't a matter of the size of the e-learning schedule when compared to a traditional school, but just that people want to take the easy way out and get sucked into the heavy recruiting and advertising of the virtual schools.
      Not really, the final product isn't awesome. Companies can hire mediocre all they want; they pay recruiters for awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      Is it really a matter of the on-line versus traditional classroom format, or the quality and reputation of the school?
      That's pretty much it. Going to a bricks and mortar school that isn't a top 100 school is about 1,000 times better bang for the buck than any online learning.

Final thought on this: e-learning is great when you want to learn only "that" thing. When you want a well-rounded education, including learning the-things-that-college-doesn't-teach-you, you can only get that by showing up in person at University. Also, for extra bonus points, don't go to a commuter university; go somewhere there is a student population and live on campus.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      03-06-2012 01:33 PM #30
      And, another update......... interview tomorrow, 11am

Really hoping it goes well.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      03-08-2012 08:07 AM #31
      Craziest start to an interview I have ever had. I won't go into details, but it involves getting stuck behind slow traffic / road works the entire way there, getting there with minutes to spare and having to park in the additional visitor lot (a 5 minute walk to reception) then the security guard not being able to find the person interviewing me, my interview finally started about an hour late.

Thankfully it went really well. I should know by the middle/end of next week. 4 people on the short list for 1 position. Fingers crossed.

7. 03-19-2012 01:30 PM #32
      Hey fellas, I am in a very same situation but I'm 25 years old. I've completed 2 years in automotive technology got into general motors program that the school was offering. I started in 2007 right after high school, worked part time and went school full time. Graduated in 09. Been working ever since. I just got a job at just tires as service advisor but I'm starting to feel that this job is slowing my experience and ability to expand. I'm tired of the retail world and want to move on to a bigger automotive company. I would say I have about 6+ years of experience but no engineer degree. Would it be better and get back in school and finish 2 more years? or get into a program where manufacturers offer classes and education?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 02:25 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by deziking View Post
      Would it be better and get back in school and finish 2 more years? or get into a program where manufacturers offer classes and education?
      Few things can replace the ability of a 4yr degree to open doors to future employment. Until then, find out how to be better than any employee at your job and you'll be on your way to building your reputation.

Although, there's nothing wrong with taking time off from school to get your head straight or save up money. I took almost 6yrs off after my first 2yrs and then came back to finish up. Although the bartending, retail management experience, and 100+ days/year snowboarding in Tahoe didn't provide me with direct career experience, it did have a drastic impact on my corporate awareness and my motivation to finish my degree.

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-19-2012 03:00 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      You can't control whether or not someone looks at your resume after seeing you have no degree.

You have several scenarios against you.

1) the economy sucks and for every job posting there are hundreds of applicants. Thousands of HR departments across the country are using that as a way to screen the applicant pool. And it does a good job; probably knocking out 60+% of the list. In most cases it is a valid requirement of the job and in many more cases it's possible to get a position that requires a degree if you don't have one. Again, you can't control that.

2) There is a trend in many companies that career growth positions go to individuals with college degrees. They prove to be highly trainable and they retain and apply their training to the company's benefit.
      There's a third potential issue here, Dave: Immigration.

Companies in certain industries have employed foreign nationals that require visa sponsorship. As part of the employment process, the employer has to attest to the DOL that to do this job at this company, an employee MUST possess certain baseline education and experience requirements. That then sets a minimum hiring bar for anyone else hired into that job title. Not following that opens the company up to legal exposure.

So be aware--in certain industries, with certain companies, the degree may not just be an arbitrary requirement; it may be mandatory.

As to your current status: It really depends on the demand for your skillset in your particular geography. If you have high-demand skills/experience (ex: iOS/Android developer), you shouldn't have a problem. If you don't, however...

10. 03-19-2012 04:48 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Few things can replace the ability of a 4yr degree to open doors to future employment. Until then, find out how to be better than any employee at your job and you'll be on your way to building your reputation.

Although, there's nothing wrong with taking time off from school to get your head straight or save up money. I took almost 6yrs off after my first 2yrs and then came back to finish up. Although the bartending, retail management experience, and 100+ days/year snowboarding in Tahoe didn't provide me with direct career experience, it did have a drastic impact on my corporate awareness and my motivation to finish my degree.
      Wow thanks for the input, I just don't know what classes to select and what degree. Buddies down in SIU are taking 2 more years of course there in automotive technology. I don't know what school to look at. Basically want to get the best out of those 2 years in learning that's all.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 06:14 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by deziking View Post
      Wow thanks for the input, I just don't know what classes to select and what degree. Buddies down in SIU are taking 2 more years of course there in automotive technology. I don't know what school to look at. Basically want to get the best out of those 2 years in learning that's all.
      In case you weren't aware, in the first 2yrs of most 4yr degrees, you complete requirements knows as "General Education". These are: Math111, BA101, Econ101, Sociology 101, etc. Your friends are at a trade school and that's totally different.

At the point you complete your General Ed requirements, you might be at the point of something called "Associates Degree"; which tends to be as meaningless as doing no school unless you need to transfer to another 4yr college or use it to transfer your Community College classes to a 4yr college. There's no reason a person can't save a bundle on education by earning their GE at a community college (or Junior college) and then transferring to a 4yr college. Some states even offer an "In-State Associate of Arts Transfer Degree" to make this process even easier. Out of state transfers can get tricky, so plan ahead.

Bottom line, who cares what you're interested in today, you need to take 2yrs of classes anyway, so you might as well get those out of the way. Take a few years off school, work some crappy jobs and get perspective on life and your career path so you can go back to school with the motivation that you know what you want to do AND the urgency to complete a degree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12