Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2014 Passat with AWD

1. 02-17-2012 07:26 PM #1
      VW rep at the Chicago auto show told me that one of the biggest requests from consumers has been AWD. He further stated that it would be available in 18 months. Anyone else hear this.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      02-17-2012 09:40 PM #2
      Anything else this rep told you? How about engine choices for 2013?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      02-18-2012 07:31 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by av_audi View Post
      Anything else this rep told you? How about engine choices for 2013?
      Yeah, this.....specifically, was anything said about putting the 2.0 turbocharged gasoline four into it? If we buy a new Passat, it'll probably be a TDI anyhow, but.......
      Last edited by Rico1; 02-18-2012 at 07:55 AM.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Now:12 TDI SEL
      02-18-2012 10:59 AM #4
      Havent heard of any changes other than the new smaller turbo 4 replacing the 2.5 5 banger. Probably a rumor and I doubt seriously that a sales rep is in on product development calls. I'd love to see all wheel drive on the Passat although I'd be a little jealous given that mine doesn't have it. also, i'd be a little surprised if they went more up market than the SEL given that the north american strategy for VW seems to be $19-32k for the car. It makes sense to me that if you want premium, go buy an Audi. If you want a german car experience for less than the price of a house, buy a VW. Me, I'm done spending millions on cars and yet I'm not ready for the nursing home so I bought the Passat and not the CamCord.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Rabbit 'S', 2000 Passat GLX-4Mo Variant, 2004.5 Passat 1.8T 5Sp 4-Mo Sedan
      02-18-2012 11:39 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Notch Johnson View Post
      Havent heard of any changes other than the new smaller turbo 4 replacing the 2.5 5 banger. Probably a rumor and I doubt seriously that a sales rep is in on product development calls. I'd love to see all wheel drive on the Passat although I'd be a little jealous given that mine doesn't have it. also, i'd be a little surprised if they went more up market than the SEL given that the north american strategy for VW seems to be $19-32k for the car. It makes sense to me that if you want premium, go buy an Audi. If you want a german car experience for less than the price of a house, buy a VW. Me, I'm done spending millions on cars and yet I'm not ready for the nursing home so I bought the Passat and not the CamCord.
      I doubt that they will offer it either, as VW NA Marketing indicated in a correspondence to me when
      I asked the question but, as in other threads about this topic, I do not understand why people think
      that AWD is "Premium"???

Could be a "Winter Package" bundled with other options, heck, if you live in Ca. or down South
      I can understand why you would think anyone would desire/need AWD but if you live where it
      snows, you would understand. AWD is not Premium, just look at Subaru. They had it on the CC
      but you had to buy a full boat model for $42K to get it.

Some have reported adequate performance in the snow, others not, with the 'new' Passat.

AWD cannot hurt their sales, it is not a Premium but an asset to some, and anything over $3K
      for it is insane. Lets see what the marketing genius' at VWoA can do.

Vehicles
      08 GLI SOLD and Touareg v6 2012/A3(MQB) Hatchback
      02-18-2012 03:15 PM #6
      gonna wait for 2014. my gli is 2008 so, good year to change it for a Passat

7. 02-18-2012 03:26 PM #7
      Two different VW reps at the stand stated that AWD was the single most requested "feature" for the Passat. One said she could not comment on future offerings and the other stated "wait 18 months, you'll see it". No talk about engine choices but I'd expect it be married to gas engine either the VR6 or the new T-4.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Now:12 TDI SEL
      02-19-2012 12:23 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bundespassat View Post
      I doubt that they will offer it either, as VW NA Marketing indicated in a correspondence to me when
      I asked the question but, as in other threads about this topic, I do not understand why people think
      that AWD is "Premium"???

Could be a "Winter Package" bundled with other options, heck, if you live in Ca. or down South
      I can understand why you would think anyone would desire/need AWD but if you live where it
      snows, you would understand. AWD is not Premium, just look at Subaru. They had it on the CC

Some have reported adequate performance in the snow, others not, with the 'new' Passat.

AWD cannot hurt their sales, it is not a Premium but an asset to some, and anything over $3K
      I owned 2 cars with AWD and understand the benefits. you miss my point.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      02-19-2012 01:44 AM #9
      I do not understand why people think
      that AWD is "Premium"???

Could be a "Winter Package" bundled with other options ...
      But I can't imagine AWD with the 2.5 engine. "Normal" start 0-60mph would climb to 11+ seconds!

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      02-19-2012 08:22 AM #10
      that AWD is "Premium"???

I lived at the top of three big hills in Pittsurgh and had a 98 Forester there prior to my 02 9-3, and because of the liberal use of salt, there were only a few snows a year where I felt like I missed the awd. (and those storms made national news) Now in places like Boulder, CO, where deicing is pricier because the salt feeds the 'brown cloud', they left the snowpack on the roads....then awd mattered and there were subarus everywhere.

It seems with the choices of SUVs and crossovers out there, the family sedan market is not where VW is trying to satisfy the awd folks.

:

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      02-19-2012 08:25 AM #11
      But I can't imagine AWD with the 2.5 engine. "Normal" start 0-60mph would climb to 11+ seconds!
      That's right...since we are all able to perform a timed 0-60 acceleration every time we merge onto a crowded freeway Subaru, for example, has no cars with a 2.5 (having less torque than vw's 2.5 mated to a heavier car than the B7) mated to an awd system in their fleet...must be the secret to success.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2008.5 Passat VR6 4Motion/Sport Sedan
      02-19-2012 04:14 PM #12
      Subaru marketshare less than VW, so 'success' involves an interpretation. I love the AWD on my '08but realize where the bread and butter marketing segement is at. As someone else said, when the CamCord gets AWD, so will the Passat.

Vehicles
      02-19-2012 04:28 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
      Subaru marketshare less than VW, so 'success' involves an interpretation. I love the AWD on my '08but realize where the bread and butter marketing segement is at. As someone else said, when the CamCord gets AWD, so will the Passat.
      agree completely. The sarcasm was for av_audi's benefit. Folks aren't buying Outbacks and Foresters for their 0-60 times any more than I bought my SE for such a thing, hence the standard 2.5 option in a fleet with only awd cars....with some choices to add a turbo or 6 clyinder engine. But they serve a niche.....this is probably sacrilege to the faithful, but I could see a cheaper Tiguan with awd and a decent engine....for what it offers, and being smaller, the Tig seems much more expensive than the Rav4/ CRV that are the camcords of the crossover segment.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      02-19-2012 06:08 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      That's right...since we are all able to perform a timed 0-60 acceleration every time we merge onto a crowded freeway Subaru, for example, has no cars with a 2.5 (having less torque than vw's 2.5 mated to a heavier car than the B7) mated to an awd system in their fleet...must be the secret to success.
      I merge onto the freeway, going uphill, with 70mph traffic.

I see more Porsches than Subies where I live. I bet most subies are sold in the Northeast and Colorado. VW sells more Jettas than all Subaru models combined. They are indeed so successful in the US.

Having said that, Subaru models, despite having AWD, already cost significantly less than equivalent VW models. Throw in AWD, and VW will have a very hard time competing in the non-premium VW market, just like it did in the past.

15. 02-19-2012 07:17 PM #15
      I live in southern Ontario, 45 mins east of Toronto, and I drive 65km or 40 miles north of lake Ontario every day, at screwed up times like 4am when the roads aren't plowed. I have an Audi Allroad, 04 Jetta tdi, 2012 passat tdi. The two fwd cars are fine with winter tires if you know how to drive. I'd say maybe 5 times a year it's really bad out up here. Enough to pay for awd every day? I don't think so. Why do you think VW has Audi? Premium stuff for premium money. 90% of their buyers are around city hubs with big populations so their driving is not so long, and probably salted and cleared first anyway.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-20-2012 02:14 PM #16
      I see more Porsches than Subies where I live. I bet most subies are sold in the Northeast and Colorado. VW sells more Jettas than all Subaru models combined. They are indeed so successful in the US.
      Do not know where yougot your numbers, but reported January 2012 Sales
      VW/N. America 27,209

Subaru of America: 22,807

VW sells more Jettas that all Subaru Models Combined???? I do not think so.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Passat 2.0 TSI
      02-20-2012 03:48 PM #17
      that AWD is "Premium"???

They still have "4 motion" as an option for the CC. In fact, the newly face-lifted 2013 CC fully loaded at 40,050 USD is well worth the price tag for all the features. The quality and the features are there:

• Front bi-xenon with LED
      • Extremely nice, genuine leather ventilated seats (better than in my Q7 '12)
      • Full LED rear lights
      • Full featured/color MFA+ utilizing LED all around for back-light
      • Actual brushed aluminum for areas not utilizing real wood
      • 600 W phenomenal dynaudio sound system
      • OPS parking sensors displayed on the RNS 510 navigation screen (camera comes out of the logo as on older B6 Passat/CC)
      • Overall and door design
      • Electronic power steering
      • Electronic rear brakes with Auto Hold
      • Climatronic
      • 6 speed DSG transmssion

All of the above features (plus looks/quality) justify the 7,000 USD price different over the North American B7 Passat. Dynaudio by itself goes for at least 4,000 USD on the Tiguan as an option, don't forget the lighting front and rear, and 4-motion. In addition to the hinges, details etc.

I sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show. For the features and the quality of them, you cannot find a better buy. Don't get even started on the lack of quality, featureless, cheap plastic interiors of subarus. All wheel drive is the only thing well worth commenting on the subaru.

18. 02-20-2012 07:21 PM #18
      that AWD is "Premium"???

Previously, 4Motion cost about $1500 more than FWD.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      02-21-2012 11:59 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by doug goldberg View Post
      VW rep at the Chicago auto show told me that one of the biggest requests from consumers has been AWD. He further stated that it would be available in 18 months. Anyone else hear this.
      I have not heard this but I do know the new 1.8 turbo engine is going into the car. Also that hybrid setup is being looked at already since Jetta will have it by end of this year.

Not to be mean but my sources are better then a VW rep.
      Last edited by Boosted2003!; 02-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.

20. 02-21-2012 04:46 PM #20
      I want to believe.

But I've learned to expect less whenever VWoA is concerned.

21. 02-21-2012 05:54 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by doug goldberg View Post
      Said "VW Rep" is blowing smoke. No refresh/changes 'till 2014 MY.

FWIW, the Jetta (sedan, no JSW) outsold any Subaru model....

22. 02-21-2012 08:49 PM #22
      It was stated that MY 14 was when AWD would become available. I cant vouch for the data I can only report what I was told. BTW I did think the CC VR6 AWD was a great deal of car for the $$. Too bad the backseat is so small.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      02-22-2012 01:06 AM #23
      Do not know where yougot your numbers, but reported January 2012 Sales
      VW/N. America 27,209

Subaru of America: 22,807
      I am not sure anymore either I must have misread or recalled something from years back.

It seems like Jetta sales were a little under 200K for 2011. Total Subaru sales for 2011 were around 267K. Still, the fact remains that AWD sales for previous Passats have always a very small percentage of total sales.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      02-22-2012 01:39 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      I have not heard this but I do know the new 1.8 turbo engine is going into the car.
      I hope you are right! This would provide significant boosts in both acceleration and fuel economy.

Despite being significantly larger, the B7 Passat weighs about the same as the B5.5. So with a stronger 1.8T than in the B5.5, 0-60mph time might be in the low- to mid-sevens and hwy mpgs over 35-36. Hopefully the manual will also be updated to from 5 to 6 speeds.

Assuming my current car lasts long enough, my options may be

1. 2013 Audi A4 for the midlife crisis splurge
      2. 2013 CC for a mini-splurge
      3. 2013 Passat 1.8T for the super practical and economical, but still somewhat fun to drive choice

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      02-22-2012 07:59 AM #25
      I'm pretty sure the 2013 Passat will still have the 2.5L. I don't think the 1.8T will be here until 2014 at the earliest.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

26. Member
      Vehicles
      02-22-2012 11:10 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      I'm pretty sure the 2013 Passat will still have the 2.5L. I don't think the 1.8T will be here until 2014 at the earliest.
      What is different about the "new" 1.8T vs the one in the B5.5 ( which I have )??
      Granted, with 4-Motion it cannot get out of its own way off the line, even with a
      Manual Tranny but once it gets going...

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      02-22-2012 02:22 PM #27
      It's an all new 1.8T from what I understand.

Here is a quote from the article posted on the main page.

This new engine has some interesting design characteristics like an exhaust manifold integrated fully into the head with liquid cooling. We expect horsepower to range between 150hp to 180hp depending on the application. We also expect fuel economy to be significantly better as well.
      ||||||||||||||

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      02-22-2012 02:42 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      Said "VW Rep" is blowing smoke. No refresh/changes 'till 2014 MY.

FWIW, the Jetta (sedan, no JSW) outsold any Subaru model....
      2013 model is getting some slight interior changes. Most people notice them unless someone is told about them.

I hope you are right! This would provide significant boosts in both acceleration and fuel economy.

Despite being significantly larger, the B7 Passat weighs about the same as the B5.5. So with a stronger 1.8T than in the B5.5, 0-60mph time might be in the low- to mid-sevens and hwy mpgs over 35-36. Hopefully the manual will also be updated to from 5 to 6 speeds.

Assuming my current car lasts long enough, my options may be

1. 2013 Audi A4 for the midlife crisis splurge
      2. 2013 CC for a mini-splurge
      3. 2013 Passat 1.8T for the super practical and economical, but still somewhat fun to drive choice
      1.8 isn't likely going to show up any earlier then the 2014 model.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      02-23-2012 01:29 AM #29
      What is different about the "new" 1.8T vs the one in the B5.5 ( which I have )??
      The one version of this new 1.8T I read about outputs 170Hp, just like our B5.5s, but it produces 235 lb-ft of torque versus a mere 166 for the 1.8T in the B5.5. That means the Hp curve below the peak is much fatter than for the older 1.8T. Mated with a six speed manual, this engine will transform the car, IMHO.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL, 2000 Audi A4 1.8tq, 2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, 1999 Passat GLS, 1992 Passat GL
      02-23-2012 03:34 PM #30
      Still, the fact remains that AWD sales for previous Passats have always a very small percentage of total sales.
      Sure, but there wasn't that many available to begin with. They sold everyone that was made. And they were only available in the loaded out VR6. They could have sold a ton more if they were made available with the 2.0t.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      02-23-2012 05:12 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by gstrouse View Post
      Sure, but there wasn't that many available to begin with. They sold everyone that was made. And they were only available in the loaded out VR6. They could have sold a ton more if they were made available with the 2.0t.
      That's actually backwards. There wasn't a demand for them, thus they only sent over what would sell. And also they sat on the lots longer than expected as well. If there was more of a demand for them, they would have sent more over.
      ||||||||||||||