Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: abs and asr light on startup?

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      02-18-2012 12:46 PM #1
      the last two days when i start my car the ASR and ABS lights come on! I shut the car off and wait about 3-4 secs and turn it back on and they dont stay on! is this my abs sensors failing? anyhelp is appreciated!!!
      FMIC, Forge Hybrid splitter BOV, Motegi 17x7's in Pirelli p6, Eibach pro kit w/ sway bar, Kinetic slotted & drilled rotors, custom short throw, Glow Shift boost gauge w/ NSP steering column pod!

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      02-18-2012 02:22 PM #2
      Sure sounds like it could be, since the ASR is part of the ABS system.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 passat 1.8T atw
      02-18-2012 06:46 PM #3
      try and take out the abs sensors and clean them. they are located behind the little dust plates behind the brake discs. you should be able to pull them out. if you cant you should get the codes read to make sure its actually the sensors. if you cant get them our and it turns out to be the sensors well you will have to destroy the sonsor and take it out piece by piece. youll also have to buy a new copper clip that holds the abs sensor in as well.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Passat Wagon FWD V6, 2012 Touareg Lux
      02-18-2012 10:05 PM #4
      Use a scan tool to get codes FIRST... from ECM as well... ECM most likely has a fault for "no communication" with the ABS module. If thats the case, the ABS module probably has an internal electrical fault and will need to be replaced. Sometimes you can get the module separate from the pump, otherwise you will need the pump/module assembly. GL!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat B5 V6 5sp
      02-18-2012 11:36 PM #5
      Like he said above. GET THE CODES first. other wise. most of the time it is the abs module crappen out on you. Mine did the same thing as yours did for a long time. Then after a while they came on and did not go out. Turned out the ABS module had crapped out.

I removed it from the car and sent it to http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php I think it was like 130 bucks or so and they repaired it. Reinstalled it and boom. Everything work great. They have directions on there site how to remove it and what not. You can still drive around with it not installed, you just wont have ABS or ARS/ASRsp?

Good Luck

Nate

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      02-19-2012 08:11 AM #6
      Just to amplify a bit, if the ABS module is bad, DO NOT try to fix it yourself, and DO NOT look for a used one. Just have yours rebuilt. I assure you, you don't have the soldering skills to do the work, and a used one will: 1. Likely fail the same way as yours 2. Would have to be an exact part number match for your original, and 3. Will have to be reprogrammed to your car.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      02-19-2012 08:34 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Just to amplify a bit, if the ABS module is bad, DO NOT try to fix it yourself, and DO NOT look for a used one. Just have yours rebuilt. I assure you, you don't have the soldering skills to do the work, and a used one will: 1. Likely fail the same way as yours 2. Would have to be an exact part number match for your original, and 3. Will have to be reprogrammed to your car.
      While you're correct that it has to be the same p/n, it does not have to be reprogrammed. I put a used one in my old B5, and put 25k miles on it w/o a problem. Was still working fine when I got rid of the car. I haven't priced a rebuilt one in a couple of years, but when I did, I seem to recall it was somewhere in range of $150-$200. Spending $40-$50 for a known good, used one is not a bad way to go if you're short on funds. As long as you do it w/ the knowledge that it could fail as well. The upside is, most of the places that rebuilt them will pay you $30-$40 for cores.
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      02-19-2012 09:51 AM #8
      well hopefully its just the sensors then! ive replaced one before when i did my suspension and had to get a new knuckle so i know one is good but the other idk! and as far as the abs module goes i could really care less about having abs its just the damn dash lights that annoy me! either way ill get it checked out! thanks for all the advice and knowledge on this issue!
      FMIC, Forge Hybrid splitter BOV, Motegi 17x7's in Pirelli p6, Eibach pro kit w/ sway bar, Kinetic slotted & drilled rotors, custom short throw, Glow Shift boost gauge w/ NSP steering column pod!

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      02-19-2012 10:09 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      While you're correct that it has to be the same p/n, it does not have to be reprogrammed.
      Others have reported different experiences with programming.

And, prices on rebuilding an existing module don't seem to be that high (usually). Most places are quoting prices in the $80-$120 range for most modules, and people are (amazingly) reporting good results from the ebay rebuilders in the $40 range.

Vehicles
      02-19-2012 11:18 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Others have reported different experiences with programming.

And, prices on rebuilding an existing module don't seem to be that high (usually). Most places are quoting prices in the $80-$120 range for most modules, and people are (amazingly) reporting good results from the ebay rebuilders in the $40 range.
      I suspect the reprogramming may come from using a unit that is not the same p/n. As I said, I put a used one on my car, same p/n, etc., and ran it for over 25k miles w/o a problem. ABS worked fine.

If you can get a rebuilt one from ebay for $40, w/ a warranty that's worth anything, I would certainly go that route. When I was looking for one, best I found was ~$150 to rebuild mine, or another $100 core charge if mine was not rebuildable.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      02-19-2012 11:21 AM #11
      For the OP, we should make the distinction between "get a rebuilt one" and "get yours rebuilt" - not the same thing.

Vehicles
      Porsche 996 C4S, VW Passat B5.5 Sedan & VW Jetta VI Sedan
      02-19-2012 06:17 PM #12
      Before u go speding any money... This happend to my 2000 New Beetle, it was just one or two green fuses on top of the battery box... Not sure where those fuses would be on a B5 passat but i would check all the fuses first... I dint do this and was stuck with a $500 paper weight (used abs pump module) that no one wated.
      Zook – Simply Tire / Simply Performance | www.Simplytire.com Follow Us On http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sim...84202441659810
      WHEELS & TUNING: 416-916-9233 | 14 TORO ROAD, TORONTO, ON M3J 2A4 zook@simplytire.com
      AUTHORIZED DEALER: Falken, Cooper, Michelin, Hankook, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Vossen, Incurve, Avant Garde, VMR, Forgestar, Stance, TSW, Braelin, HRE & Vorsteiner

Vehicles
      03 Mk4 GTI 1.8T
      02-19-2012 08:15 PM #13
      Sorry, i don't mean to sound like a stupid noob but what does 'ASR' stand for again?

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      02-19-2012 08:32 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Kano Giovanni View Post
      Sorry, i don't mean to sound like a stupid noob but what does 'ASR' stand for again?
      "active search results" lol! J/K it means anti slip regulation/regulator! it just keeps the tires from spinning when there is low traction! if im not mistaken the asr is controlled by the abs to keep them from spinning? well the link above depending on the type which there are two b5.3 and b5.7 the cheaper is 160 and the more expensive is 300! big differance between the two! i drove my car today and didnt have any issues except a broken "T" in the vacuum system im just going to wait till it completely goes out or the lights come on more often! help/info is greatly appreciated ALWAYS

15. 02-20-2012 05:30 AM #15
      In the past 6 years that Ive been working at the dealer Ive never seen a fuse do that on a b5. 99.9999999999999 percent its your module going bad. ABS sensors wont do that either. You might have just an abs light but not ASR and ABS. But for ****s and giggle scan your ECM it might be a MAF sensor. As weird as it sounds. Go to ECM and check measuring value block 125 it should say 1 after ABS if it says 0 then it cant see it. If thats the case then just send it to module master. For 175 I think its the cheapest and the best. Dont take chances with used ones.

16. 02-20-2012 11:03 AM #16
      It's most likely a BAD ABS module.

My 2002 1.8T first started showing the ABS/ASR light, then shortly after the brake light started flashing and beeping. Very Very annoying.

If you run a scan, make sure it is the sensors. sometimes a bad ABS module will show issues with the sensors even thogh theyre fine. I had that hapen to me. I scanned it, and checked the speeds on each wheel with VCDS. Front right and rear left were readning 0km/h while the other two were working.

I sent my module in for rebuild anyway, came back, slapped it on and never seen the light again.

I had mine done at cheapabs.com. from canada 140 bucks including shipping both ways. lifetime warranty.

hope this helps

Vehicles
      02-20-2012 11:11 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldmembr View Post
      In the past 6 years that Ive been working at the dealer Ive never seen a fuse do that on a b5. 99.9999999999999 percent its your module going bad.
      Well i can tell you it was just a Green Fuse ontop of the Battery Box on my 2000 MK4 New Beetle 1.8T. Maybe Passat is Diffrent... But hey you learn something new everyday...
      Zook – Simply Tire / Simply Performance | www.Simplytire.com Follow Us On http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sim...84202441659810
      WHEELS & TUNING: 416-916-9233 | 14 TORO ROAD, TORONTO, ON M3J 2A4 zook@simplytire.com
      AUTHORIZED DEALER: Falken, Cooper, Michelin, Hankook, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Vossen, Incurve, Avant Garde, VMR, Forgestar, Stance, TSW, Braelin, HRE & Vorsteiner

18. 04-04-2012 05:57 PM #18
      Hey guys! Experiencing some abs problems with one of our vw's.
      Its 2003 passat 1.8T. Abs and traction lights were on. Scanned it, got 00283 code-> front left wheel speed sensor (g47) static-open/short circuit to positive.
      I picked up new sensor from dealer, installed it and nothing changed, still abs and traction lights on. Then i swaped left and right (they are the same) just to make sure that i didnt buy defective sensor from dealer and i still got the same code for same side (drivers). So, sensors are good.
      Is it safe to say that i need a new abs module or would you say that i have wiring problem? Those wires dissapear once they go inside the fender, that must pita to follow.
      If module is bad, who do you recommend for repair? I am in Mass/NH.

thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      04-04-2012 06:12 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by hrkljus7 View Post
      Hey guys! Experiencing some abs problems with one of our vw's.
      Its 2003 passat 1.8T. Abs and traction lights were on. Scanned it, got 00283 code-> front left wheel speed sensor (g47) static-open/short circuit to positive.
      I picked up new sensor from dealer, installed it and nothing changed, still abs and traction lights on. Then i swaped left and right (they are the same) just to make sure that i didnt buy defective sensor from dealer and i still got the same code for same side (drivers). So, sensors are good.
      Is it safe to say that i need a new abs module or would you say that i have wiring problem? Those wires dissapear once they go inside the fender, that must pita to follow.
      If module is bad, who do you recommend for repair? I am in Mass/NH.

thanks in advance!
      there is a website in a post up top! i looked it up and the company seems decent and pretty reasonable price! same problem with my 03! by the way how did you get the wires through the spindle without cutting them?

Vehicles
      Passat B5 1.8T, Jetta A4 1.8T
      04-05-2012 02:01 PM #20
      i had fix that problem on a jetta, golf and beetle, by cleaning the fuses on the battery box, you can try looking to clean the fuses too, not sure if it will work on the passat, but hey, its free, lets give it a try

21. 04-07-2012 11:08 AM #21
      @honda2vw3, its not that hard to push it through the spindle, there are more wires going through and they can only fit one at a time so it might take you 2, 3 time until you get it right. You will know what i mean once you try.

My problem is not getting any easier. I took the abs module from my brothers passat (same pump number, same features including esp) and my module works fine on his car and my car still shows abs and traction (sometimes flashing brake light also). So i know that i have a good module and good abs sensor.
      I have 3 codes:
      1.) 01044 control module incorrectly coded, static no indication on display,
      2.) 00778- steering angle sensor (g85) sporadic-compens not carried out,
      3.) 00283 front left abs wheel speed sensor (g47) static open/short circuit to positive

what a nightmare

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 11:40 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by roca_ley View Post
      i had fix that problem on a jetta, golf and beetle, by cleaning the fuses on the battery box, you can try looking to clean the fuses too, not sure if it will work on the passat, but hey, its free, lets give it a try
      same