Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Water Methanol Injection

1. 02-19-2012 12:42 PM #1
      I am looking to install a water methanol injection and have a few questions.

Which system is the most reliable?

How many miles have your system been install?

Any cons?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6 S/C, 1999.5 Jetta VR6 (current), 1985 GTI 1.8 16v (sold), 1996 Jetta GLX (sold)
      02-19-2012 01:00 PM #2
      Im looking for the same answers so Im subscribed
      "Too fast inst fast enough!"

3. 02-20-2012 12:35 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by holladayego View Post
      Im looking for the same answers so Im subscribed
      x2

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      02-20-2012 07:15 PM #4
      search. info is plentiful. google the kits.....................
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      04.5 PG GLI
      02-23-2012 04:41 PM #5
      US RALLY TEAM WEBSITE:
      Water/methanol injection is used to suppress detonation and to safely allow much greater amounts of boost and/or compression ratios. When implemented correctly it provides benefits very similar to racing fuel. However, it costs pennies per gallon instead of the typical $5 or more. Furthermore, it allows the tuner to keep the boost turned up all week long instead of only at race weekends.

Water/methanol injection works in three ways. Firstly, when the fine mist is injected into the intake system (after the intercooler), the small droplets absorb heat from the intake air. Secondly, the tiny drops of water start to evaporate. It takes additional heat energy to sustain this evaporation so the intake charge is cooled further. Finally, the remaining droplets and steam reach the combustion chamber and smooth the combustion process. The super-heated steam also melts away carbon deposits and eliminates the glowing hot spots which lead to detonation.

Whether you're running huge boost, want to tame a nitrous oxide system, or are towing uphill through the desert, these systems allow for maximum power output while substantially increasing overall engine reliability.

A 50% proportion of methyl alcohol (methanol) is advised to provide the best compromise of detonation control and increased torque. Alcohol also removes heat faster than the water which enhances intercooling effects. System installation is straight forward and can be accomplished by anyone who can read a simple wiring diagram.
      Below is a description of why you should run a dual nozzle mount package to have both octane boost benefits and tremendous amounts of cooling.
      Mounting a nozzle just after the intercooler provides maximum distance traveled from the spray point to the combustion chamber. This ensures that the mist is carried by the air for a longer time period. More time allows for more complete evaporation. More evaporation guarantees more cooling.

A throttle body-mounted nozzle works exactly the same way but in reverse. Less distance traveled = less evaporation = more droplets ready to turn to steam INSIDE the combustion chambers. This reduction in combustion temperature boosts the air/fuel charge's octane rating in a huge and very beneficial way. Of course, one may run a single medium-sized nozzle midway between the two ends. This delivers a compromised mix of both cooling and octane vs. maximum amounts of both. Special care must be taken to ensure that liquid droplets do not reach a drive by wire throttle body. (This is a non-issue for drive by cable throttles.)

SO, should you run one or two nozzles? You should run two IF your budget allows. If not, you will still be delighted with the performance of a single nozzle. Size that nozzle responsibly to achieve excellent results.
      Let me know if you have any other questions that you would like cleared up.
      Justin Im, Technical Sales
      US Rally Team
      www.facebook.com/usrallyteam
      AIM-jijust88
      Unitronic Chipped Authorized Dealer

6. 03-02-2012 01:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Justin@USRT View Post
      US RALLY TEAM WEBSITE:

Below is a description of why you should run a dual nozzle mount package to have both octane boost benefits and tremendous amounts of cooling.

Let me know if you have any other questions that you would like cleared up.
      Justin, good discription. My problem has been I don't seem to be able to get across that I'm N/A diesel 1.6 idi, with no intercooler NOR throttle body and therefore no engine regulated vacuum signal as a gas engine has, to read from.

My guess tells me I would need some sort of mass air flow sensor or ? to read/translate injection signal to water/meth output. What can you set me up with? Is a N/A idi diesel an unusual application? Would I be better off running larger diesel injection nozzles and/or different pump timing with water/meth? I just ordered some N/A rated injectors, eek! Once the signal input is sorted out would 4 very small water/meth nozzles on each intake manifold runners, as high up as possible on the intake manifold be best? If you are familiar with the 1.6 vw engine I could only see a dual stage nozzle sset up as described, if the air filter was relocated from the top of the o.e. intake.