Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 F1 Countdown Thread

1. 02-19-2012 11:22 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Does it matter? It's no different than calling him "N*ggeronen", but you're probably cool with that, too.
      lol, i might; since it's baseless. Someone calling a Fin a n*gger couldn't make enough sense to be insulting. Context, and intent, matters.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

02-19-2012 11:28 PM #37
      lol. miss scandinavia, mmmmmmm.

but seriously, cmon guys. lets keep the **** talking down to actual **** talking and keep the gay bashing to a minimum.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

02-19-2012 11:44 PM #38
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      02-20-2012 12:45 AM #39
      i'm to finally see Trulli out of F1. i didn't dislike him, but he never amounted to much considering all his years in F1. his loss is at least a chance for another younger driver to enter the sport, even though they replaced him with Petrov.

but i'm really stoked to have kimi back and really look forward to more of his riveting interviews.
      welcome to the layer cake

5. 02-20-2012 12:55 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanManuelFangio View Post

Nobody can knock Kimi after Suzuka 2005. Easily the most impressive single race performance in the last decade or so.
      LOL. Not sure if serious, but thanks for the laugh
      Look up the stats, friend, and then take into consideration the large number of car failures that either had him start at the back of the grid or took away otherwise all-but-guaranteed race wins.

I'm sorry, but you don't get handed a Super License after competing in just a few dozen races outside of karting if you don't have some proper talent.

Per Wiki:He went on to fill the seat left by Hakkinen at McLaren, so in your mind, Ron Dennis must have been crazy.
      Did I not say, friend, the man was very talented? And Ron Dennis is crazy thank you very much. He has to be after signing off on that McLaren's road car snooze-fest of an exterior.

6. 02-20-2012 01:11 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      i wish, speed totally kills it for me. i usually wait to torrent the bbc version

and juan, which side of the hamilton v alonzo battle are you on?

I'm definitely an Alonso fan. He seems to be the middle ground between Button's race sense and Hamilton's raw speed and passing ability. Even though Vettel won the last two seasons, I still think Alonso is the best all-around driver in F1.

During the 2007 mess I thought there was fault to be distributed all over the place, but it sure did seem that Dennis was favoring Hamilton by the end of the season. I think that if Dennis had handled the season better one of them would have walked away with the WDC. I also felt like Hamilton was too reckless.

I think both have grown up a bunch since 2007. Hamilton had a rough season in 2011, but I think he will bounce back and be at least competitive with Button. Alonso is as hungry as ever and will always be in the running so long as he has a competitive car.

I think that an on-the-track rivalry with a bit of trash talk between those two would make for a fantastic season.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

7. 02-20-2012 01:17 AM #42
      I can't wait! a true fan here. i hated last year it wasn't worth watching if red bull is going to run away with the championship again sheesh!

8. 02-20-2012 01:22 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      LOL. Not sure if serious, but thanks for the laugh
      Raikkonen started in 17th on the grid due to rain during his and Alonso's qualifying run that wasn't present during the others' (remember, old qualifying rules). He managed to take the McLaren all the way up to first, passing Fisichella on the final lap. Passing Fisichella isn't a huge achievement (although he was in one of the top two cars that season), but finishing 1st from 17th was a massive achievement.

Remember, passing in 2005 was probably harder than it has ever been since. The cars had no downforce reduction systems and the aero created incredibly dirty air behind those big 3.0L V10 engines with no rev limits.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

02-20-2012 01:28 AM #44
      im the other way around, hamilton all the way! i love the raw recklessness and the passion, so much fun to watch. he may not be the smartest driver on the track, but definitely one of my favorites.

10. 02-20-2012 01:48 AM #45
      im the other way around, hamilton all the way! i love the raw recklessness and the passion, so much fun to watch. he may not be the smartest driver on the track, but definitely one of my favorites.
      I wouldn't call him reckless but overly aggressive at times. However, if there is a gap a racer should go for it. If he is unable to commit himself to his craft and go for a gap that exists then he should no longer consider himself a race car driver. You race not to come second third or fourth but to win. That's how Hamilton approaches every race and I would have it no other way. The fact of the matter is ofter a lot of these drivers Turn into Hamilton to keep him behind [Button(canada) and Mass(monaco) from last season]. Does he make mistakes of course, but he is committed to the art of racing and without him F1 would be just as boring as Nascar. It's so bad they had to come up with the moveable rear wing just to help these drivers pass their opponents out on the circuit. Ask yourself, did Hamilton need any help with that cause?

11. 02-20-2012 01:56 AM #46
      Does it matter? It's no different than calling him "N*ggeronen", but you're probably cool with that, too.
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6guy View Post
      lol, i might; since it's baseless. Someone calling a Fin a n*gger couldn't make enough sense to be insulting. Context, and intent, matters.

Can you two idiots stop dropping N-bombs in this thread plz.

edit. Sorry for double post

02-20-2012 01:56 AM #47
      I wouldn't call him reckless but overly aggressive at times. However, if there is a gap a racer should go for it. If he is unable to commit himself to his craft and go for a gap that exists then he should no longer consider himself a race car driver. You race not to come second third or fourth but to win. That's how Hamilton approaches every race and I would have it no other way. The fact of the matter is ofter a lot of these drivers Turn into Hamilton to keep him behind [Button(canada) and Mass(monaco) from last season]. Does he make mistakes of course, but he is committed to the art of racing and without him F1 would be just as boring as Nascar. It's so bad they had to come up with the moveable rear wing just to help these drivers pass their opponents out on the circuit. Ask yourself, did Hamilton need any help with that cause?
      haha, youre quoting senna after he intentionally wrecked prost.

its totally true but you also have to finish races, with the FIA throwing punishments at him every other race and a lot of close calls, as well as some wrecks arguably due to going for a pass he probably shouldnt have. i love him as a racer and i wouldnt have it any other way, but he is for sure one of the most fierce and sometimes reckless drivers out there.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      02-20-2012 02:03 AM #48

edit. Sorry for double post
      Try looking at the context of my post before calling me an idiot.

As for passing, yeah Hamilton is tenacious, but look at what it gets him more often than not: a wrecked race car or a trip to the stewards. Racing isn't just about throwing your car into every gap you see, it's being smart about when and where to make the move. Hamilton needs to grow up a bit in this regard before he'll be able to add a second WDC to his tally.

Vehicles
      '01 Ducati 748
      02-20-2012 02:03 AM #49
      In for more videos, and paddock girls.
      Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time
      GRIM WATER

15. 02-20-2012 02:04 AM #50
      While I applaud passing in F1 and Hamilton is probably the best at it (at least top 2-3), he will go for gaps that simply aren't there, or put other drivers in situations that are likely to cause a crash. Drivers have questioned his driving style as crossing the line from aggressive to dangerous.

You are right that you want to win, but it is better to win the WDC than an individual race, and sometimes it is better to avoid a risky pass to protect your points. This is why Alonso is better in my book. He knows when to play it safe and when to be aggressive. Hamilton is always aggressive and it has cost him.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

16. 02-20-2012 02:05 AM #51
      haha, youre quoting senna after he intentionally wrecked prost.

its totally true but you also have to finish races, with the FIA throwing punishments at him every other race and a lot of close calls, as well as some wrecks arguably due to going for a pass he probably shouldnt have. i love him as a racer and i wouldnt have it any other way, but he is for sure one of the most fierce and sometimes reckless drivers out there.
      I don't think he intentionally wrecked him at all. Senna's nose hits the apex in the dog left first when prost comes across his nose. There was a massive gap that Prost closed the door on at the wrong time. He should have never left that huge window to begin with. Plus Prost cold drive worth a damn in the rain so he loses a lot of respect from me for that very reason. 5 championships and all

17. 02-20-2012 02:18 AM #52
      Try looking at the context of my post before calling me an idiot.

As for passing, yeah Hamilton is tenacious, but look at what it gets him more often than not: a wrecked race car or a trip to the stewards. Racing isn't just about throwing your car into every gap you see, it's being smart about when and where to make the move. Hamilton needs to grow up a bit in this regard before he'll be able to add a second WDC to his tally.
      I read the whole thing and stand by my comments. Your use of the word was what was out of context so no pity from me for calling it like it is. Hamilton doesn't need to do one thing you say. He needs a better car to win the wdc that is all.
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanManuelFangio View Post
      While I applaud passing in F1 and Hamilton is probably the best at it (at least top 2-3), he will go for gaps that simply aren't there, or put other drivers in situations that are likely to cause a crash. Drivers have questioned his driving style as crossing the line from aggressive to dangerous.

You are right that you want to win, but it is better to win the WDC than an individual race, and sometimes it is better to avoid a risky pass to protect your points. This is why Alonso is better in my book. He knows when to play it safe and when to be aggressive. Hamilton is always aggressive and it has cost him.
      The best way to win the wdc is to win each and every race period. If you can't win the race then so be it. But you race to win, plain and simple. My three favorite drivers of all time believed in this philosophy: Senna, Earnhardt, and Hamilton. May the first two rest in peace. I have much respect for Alonso's driving skill but the way he torpedoes both McLaren and Hamilton's rookie season makes me question his character. Ron Dennis had every right to favor Hamilton at the end of the season.
      Last edited by enigmatic enthusiast; 02-20-2012 at 02:28 AM.

02-20-2012 02:22 AM #53
      I don't think he intentionally wrecked him at all. Senna's nose hits the apex in the dog left first when prost comes across his nose. There was a massive gap that Prost closed the door on at the wrong time. He should have never left that huge window to begin with. Plus Prost cold drive worth a damn in the rain so he loses a lot of respect from me for that very reason. 5 championships and all
      im just going off of the documentary lol, i dont even think i was alive for that race.

this vid is hamilton in gp2 but still, the passing is incredible.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      02-20-2012 02:25 AM #54
      lol wut, Prost has 4 WDC... Fangio has 5.

And Prost was a damn good driver in the wet, arguably one of the best in the field outside of Senna. If Prost loses any kind of respect it's on the vetos/clauses he wanted in his contracts with Ferrari and Williams to prevent Mansell and later on Senna from being his teammates. He wanted to be the in the best car on the grid without any chance of his counterpart driver posing him any kind of threat like what previously happened at McLaren.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      02-20-2012 02:36 AM #55
      I read the whole thing and stand by my comments. Your use of the word was what was out of context so no pity from me for calling it like it is. Hamilton doesn't need to do one thing you say. He needs a better car to win the wdc that is all.
      My use of the word was not out of context; do you even understand what "context" means? I don't think you do...

As for Hamilton, you act as though he's had crappy cars, lol. Sorry, but he's pissed away at least one, if not two chances by driving with his head up his ass more often than not. As was said, he routinely goes for "gaps" that aren't there. You need to finish the race to get the points, after all.
      The best way to win the wdc is to win each and every race period. If you can't win the race then so be it. But you race to win, plain and simple. My three favorite drivers of all time believed in this philosophy: Senna, Earnhardt, and Hamilton. May the first two rest in peace. I have much respect for Alonso's driving skill but the way he torpedoes both McLaren and Hamilton's rookie season makes me question his character. Ron Dennis had every right to favor Hamilton at the end of the season.
      The best way to win the WDC is to finish each and every race; winning is secondary. If you take yourself out of the race trying to go balls out for the win, you're obviously not going to take home the title at the end of the year.

By the way, Earnhardt was able to get 7 titles because he was consistent and, above all else, smart. He knew how to "points race", something that Hamilton can't seem to grasp. Earnhardt's tally of victories actually isn't that big (Jeff Gordon has surpassed him and he's "only" got 4 titles), but he was there to finish the race and take home the points more often than not, and that's what counts.

People remember champions, not individual race winners.

21. 02-20-2012 02:38 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuneman7 View Post
      lol wut, Prost has 4 WDC... Fangio has 5.

And Prost was a damn good driver in the wet, arguably one of the best in the field outside of Senna. If Prost loses any kind of respect it's on the vetos/clauses he wanted in his contracts with Ferrari and Williams to prevent Mansell and later on Senna from being his teammates. He wanted to be the in the best car on the grid without any chance of his counterpart driver posing him any kind of threat like what previously happened at McLaren.
      LOL. I'm not sure who would make that argument. Damon Hill his teammate at williams was better in the wet. Not to mention Micheal shumacher.

22. 02-20-2012 02:48 AM #57
      My use of the word was not out of context; do you even understand what "context" means? I don't think you do...

As for Hamilton, you act as though he's had crappy cars, lol. Sorry, but he's pissed away at least one, if not two chances by driving with his head up his ass more often than not. As was said, he routinely goes for "gaps" that aren't there. You need to finish the race to get the points, after all.

The best way to win the WDC is to finish each and every race; winning is secondary. If you take yourself out of the race trying to go balls out for the win, you're obviously not going to take home the title at the end of the year.

By the way, Earnhardt was able to get 7 titles because he was consistent and, above all else, smart. He knew how to "points race", something that Hamilton can't seem to grasp. Earnhardt's tally of victories actually isn't that big (Jeff Gordon has surpassed him and he's "only" got 4 titles), but he was there to finish the race and take home the points more often than not, and that's what counts.

People remember champions, not individual race winners.
      You should leaving the thinking to those whom are actually capable of doing so properly.

He's had two cars truly capable of competing for a title. Won with one and was a button press away from winning the other.

Don't tell the man who already has a wdc the best way to win in thank you very much. And the best way to Win the wdc is to win every race. Notice how those two bold words are the same. Pretty simple math.

Ha Earnhardt would spin a man out if he stood in his way of victory so can it.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      02-20-2012 04:11 AM #58
      wow, i should have read this thread before my first post.

I don't think he intentionally wrecked him at all.
      you must be blind...

he absolutely did it on purpose, and what shocked everyone, was his lack of remorse. i'm as big a senna fan as any other person, but it was obvious he took out prost for the title that year. especially after getting ****ed in 1989 about going "off track" in an incident with prost, who subsequently went crying to the FIA. he complained about senna rejoining the race after being in the chicane escape road and part of the pit entrance at Suzuka.

and as far as other kimi getting robbed of multiple championships? i absolutely agree with nick and many others. how many times did you see the mclaren grenade an engine that year? it got to the point when you could tell kimi was frustrated when he kept his foot in the gas just spewing smoke, exhaust, and engine bits on the track. i think he just got fed up with the junk equipment he was getting, the politics, and the strict rules in F1, and at his age, he decided to try other things.

and for the sake of the thread, let's keep the dumb comments like "Faggonen" out of here. it just proves you're an ignorant moron.

Vehicles
      2013 Ford Raptor, 2002 F-350, 84 H-Prod Scirocco, 95 M3
      02-20-2012 04:45 AM #59
      I don't care who wins this year...As long as it isn't Hamilton.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      02-20-2012 05:09 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
      ...or Ah-Gonzo
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      02-20-2012 05:38 AM #61
      i get so sick of seeing his girlfriend in the garage when anything happens. also, her music blows.

27. 02-20-2012 11:23 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      wow, i should have read this thread before my first post.

you must be blind...

he absolutely did it on purpose, and what shocked everyone, was his lack of remorse. i'm as big a senna fan as any other person, but it was obvious he took out prost for the title that year. especially after getting ****ed in 1989 about going "off track" in an incident with prost, who subsequently went crying to the FIA. he complained about senna rejoining the race after being in the chicane escape road and part of the pit entrance at Suzuka.

and as far as other kimi getting robbed of multiple championships? i absolutely agree with nick and many others. how many times did you see the mclaren grenade an engine that year? it got to the point when you could tell kimi was frustrated when he kept his foot in the gas just spewing smoke, exhaust, and engine bits on the track. i think he just got fed up with the junk equipment he was getting, the politics, and the strict rules in F1, and at his age, he decided to try other things.

and for the sake of the thread, let's keep the dumb comments like "Faggonen" out of here. it just proves you're an ignorant moron.
      As does ******onen and claiming you were using it in context.

As for Senna he clearly sticks his nose into a gap Prost left open. Prost then slams the door realizing his mistake and clips the McLaren's front nose. Was he ahead entering, of course, but if you leave the door open who are you to complain when some takes a peak inside.

He won the championship and then was beat by his teammate massa. The only teammate Massa has ever beaten on points. And I remember the problems he had at McLaren i also remember montoya having even more problems with his williams at the time.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf GTI
      02-20-2012 11:26 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by dubscientist View Post
      I can't wait! a true fan here. i hated last year it wasn't worth watching if red bull is going to run away with the championship again sheesh!
      A true fan alright

29. 02-20-2012 11:37 AM #64
      Facts are even though I'm arguing with some of you guys; we all just seemingly can't wait for this season to start. Even though I'll never be a fan of the moveable rear wing, I just about couldn't live without my F1(gross exaggeration.

02-20-2012 12:38 PM #65
      new mercedes

02-20-2012 12:46 PM #66
      changes to the ferrari. mmm. love what they did to the sidepods.

Vehicles
      '06 SG M3, '98 S70 T5-M
      02-20-2012 12:48 PM #67
      I don't care who wins this year...As long as it isn't Vettel.
      FIXED

IMO, Lewis is still the best (or 2nd best behind Alonso) driver on the grid. He might piss a lot of people off, but he takes risks and if you're not taking risks then you aren't trying hard enough
      "I remember thinking on that trip that the E46 M3 owner had no reason to be jealous of any other supercar owner. A large part of me still feels the same" - Chris Harris

SG E46 M3 -
      DBP MkIV .:R - Gone but not forgotten

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      02-20-2012 12:49 PM #68
      Good lord, this thread is embarrassing

Can we have a real thread where intelligent adults can talk about the upcoming Formula One season? Can we talk about the new rules and new cars? I don't want to read this bull**** over which driver is a *** or a ****** or whose girlfriend is annoying or who would've won the championship 10 years ago if their car didn't explode.
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road.

02-20-2012 12:50 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Good lord, this thread is embarrassing

Can we have a real thread where intelligent adults can talk about the upcoming Formula One season? Can we talk about the new rules and new cars? I don't want to read this bull**** over which driver is a *** or a ****** or who's girlfriend is annoying or who would've won the championship 10 years ago if their car didn't explode.
      thank you

35. 02-20-2012 12:54 PM #70
      wow now you can't even discuss the usage of a "bad" word. We must be in China !!

Also, nickthaskater used the "N-POOPIE WORD" to make an example so it's not out of context. what the hell are you talking about?
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast