VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 F1 Countdown Thread

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-22-2012 11:45 PM #386
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      That's irrelevant; point is he gained a position off track when he really didn't have to go over there.
      The only thing that is irrelevant here is your drivel.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-22-2012 11:45 PM #387
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      The only thing that is irrelevant here is your drivel.
      Clever. Welcome to my ignore list

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-22-2012 11:55 PM #388
      Clever. Welcome to my ignore list
      Any time. I am not fan of Hamilton, but you must have balls of steel to keep the fast pedal fully stomped on in that sort of situation.
      What you on about ?

04-23-2012 12:06 AM #389
      Any time. I am not fan of Hamilton, but you must have balls of steel to keep the fast pedal fully stomped on in that sort of situation.
      alonzo on the other hand
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-23-2012 12:08 AM #390
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      alonzo on the other hand
      .... went ahead and started crying into the radio as usual.
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-23-2012 12:11 AM #391
      alonzo on the other hand
      Alonso on the other hand race in and race out drags more performance out of that Ferrari than should ever be humanly possible. Lewis has a car that is capable of winning races on a regular basis, Alonso doesn't.

04-23-2012 12:22 AM #392
      Alonso on the other hand race in and race out drags more performance out of that Ferrari than should ever be humanly possible. Lewis has a car that is capable of winning races on a regular basis, Alonso doesn't.
      i dunno, i dont think that car is as bad as it started the season. hell, massa even got points this weekend.
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

8. 04-23-2012 12:29 AM #393
      .... went ahead and started crying into the radio as usual.
      He got pushed off the road. You expect him to be ok with that?
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      what's the retail on that?
      Quote Originally Posted by NeezDuts View Post
      Just about what you can afford pal, Porsche.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-23-2012 12:33 AM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by dumkopf View Post
      He got pushed off the road. You expect him to be ok with that?
      Being blocked is very different from being pushed off the road. It was a d!cky move, but hardly dangerous.

Being pushed off the road would be Schumaher-Barichello incident two years ago (or thereabouts).
      What you on about ?

10. 04-23-2012 12:58 AM #395
      i dunno, i dont think that car is as bad as it started the season. hell, massa even got points this weekend.
      No, it's pretty godawful still. I see Alonso fluking another race or two but that's about it. Ferrari really are mired in the midfield.

anyone think massa is going to last another season?
      Another season? At this rate he won't last the rest of this season.

04-23-2012 01:15 AM #396
      So far as I can tell, neither Alonso nor Hamilton were actually alongside Rosberg when he made his single move to the right edge of the track, so really he didn't do anything wrong. Hamilton on the other hand, should receive a penalty for gaining a position off track.
      I may be thinking of Indycar, but I'm pretty sure the rules state something to the effect that even when you make your one move, you have a leave a car width to the edge of the track.
      Fires are the leading cause of fires.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-23-2012 01:44 AM #397
      Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gascan View Post
      I may be thinking of Indycar, but I'm pretty sure the rules state something to the effect that even when you make your one move, you have a leave a car width to the edge of the track.
      You're half right. The driver must leave a car-width to the edge after returning to the racing line, not on the initial move.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporting Regulations
      20.3 - More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
      With regards to Hamilton...
      20.2 - Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not. A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Should a car leave the track the driver may rejoin, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.

A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.
      Hamilton should have been made to yield the position according to the sporting regs.

04-23-2012 01:51 AM #398
      I don't think enough people on here are excited enough by Kimi placing 2nd!!!!

At the beginning of the season we all said, cool that he's back, he'll probably be mid-field most of the year. Talented driver in a semi-competitive car... you know how it goes. Another Schumacher situation maybe. Then on his 4th race back after being out since 2009 he gets 2nd place!!! Mere seconds away from winning. Not in a Red Bull, not in McLaren, not in a Mercedes. He comes back, gets comfortable, remembers how to drive, figures out the new tires and places 2nd!!!

What's wrong with you people! We should be going crazy for this result. He's on the podium!

Last edited by Hawk; 04-23-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-23-2012 01:55 AM #399
      The Lotus was abnormally quick this weekend, kind of how the Mercedes was in China. The speed they pulled down the front straight with their DRS was ridiculous (318 km/h to RBR's 307 km/h). Not taking anything away from Kimi, as it was a hell of a win, but the fact that Romain is standing next to him on the 3rd step... Well, I think that speaks to the fact that the car, not just the driver, was exceptionally quick in Bahrain. Let's not forget that Webber in the same car as Vettel only managed 4th, and I'd rate him above Romain.

All that aside, it was fantastic watching Kimi slice through the field from 11th to 2nd.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-23-2012 02:06 AM #400
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

At the beginning of the season we all said, cool that he's back, he'll probably be mid-field most of the year. Talented driver in a semi-competitive car... you know how it goes. Another Schumacher situation maybe. Then on his 4th race back after being out since 2009 he gets 2nd place!!! Mere seconds away from winning. Not in a Red Bull, not in McLaren, not in a Mercedes. He comes back, gets comfortable, remembers how to drive, figures out the new tires and places 2nd!!!

What's wrong with you people! We should be going crazy for this result. He's on the podium!
      Kimi's fans are just like the man himself..... very cool.

I am very excited to see Kimi back in Formula 1 let alone being on the podium after thinking that he'd never return to open-wheel racing at all.

Lotus has brought few bodywork changes to Bahrain race which seems to have paid off. I guess we'll have to wait 'till Barcelona and see if it was a one off.
      What you on about ?

16. 04-23-2012 02:15 AM #401
      I agree. Happy for Kimi, but wish he would have won. I despise a Vettel driven RB winning.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      04-23-2012 02:20 AM #402

I already called out earlier that car and Kimi had the potential to get podiums this year and finish in the points.

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      04-23-2012 02:35 AM #403
      KIMI!!

Got give a guy credit for being World Driver Champion, leaving the F1 Circus to play around in Rally and coming back a few years later and beating people who have been trying since he left and doing nothing. I am looking at you Massa.

Sad to see Bruno Senna did'nt score. Oh well. On to the next race.

Vehicles
      mk3 vrt
      04-23-2012 02:43 AM #404
      kimi showed what a driver he really is, from starting 11th making it to second is amazing it is obvious that lotus is hear to stay. this F1 season is prob the best season i have seen for years the action has been out of this world. four races four different constructers taking a win in each. comon that is unheard of in formula 1. and dont leave schumacher out to dry, you have to understand he came from the complete back of the pack to get into points. the guy is a 7 time world champion and still shows why he was. all in all this season has been beyond the word of exciting and i cannot wait to see the next race in 20 days.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      04-23-2012 04:45 AM #405
      I am as excited about Kimi's podium as he is. I think that is only fair.

>8^)
      ER

21. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      04-23-2012 05:52 AM #406
      so glad kimi did well and great to hear him giving post-race press conferences already.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      04-23-2012 08:33 AM #407
      Does anyone have a link to Kimi's press conference? I watched it live but it had a German voice over.

Erik
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      04-23-2012 09:07 AM #408
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      Does anyone have a link to Kimi's press conference? I watched it live but it had a German voice over.

Erik
      Kimi RAIKKONEN: I think we gave ourselves a chance at least. It's a bit disappointing that I didn't manage to do it. But I made a small mistake at the beginning and lost one place to Ferrari. I had to re-overtake him and it took a little time. I got past the people quite easily but if you look in the end I think we still took too long and we couldn't win the race. But at least we got the podium with both cars. After the last race we tried hard and failed and probably people thought we were a bit stupid. Even after yesterday what we did. But it turned out to be the right decision and I think the team deserves what we have achieved now. We have been working hard. We've not been 100 per cent happy with how the weekends have run so far but finally we've got some proper results for the team, so it's an important step.
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      04-23-2012 10:08 AM #409

What if some of us are not fans of Raikkonen? I don't hate the guy, but I have never really been a fan. I'm glad to see Vettel back on top
      F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      04-23-2012 10:17 AM #410
      Quote Originally Posted by GTE77 View Post
      KIMI!!

Got give a guy credit for being World Driver Champion, leaving the F1 Circus to play around in Rally and coming back a few years later and beating people who have been trying since he left and doing nothing. I am looking at you Massa.
      I mean, i knew he was going to get podium, as soon as I heard he had 4 sets of unused tires. this was perfect for him, as he could push the car as much as he wanted to. im secretly rooting for Kimi this year.... ive always liked his style.

what amazed me though is how he managed to practice and qualify on only 7 sets of tires, on a track that has high degradation. I hope ferrari can learn a thing or two here. they wasted a set just to get alonso to start from 9th instead of 11th. thats just wasteful.

26. 04-23-2012 10:39 AM #411
      The real problem, and I foresaw it immediately when the released the new regs, is the ambiguity of this new "one move rule". I thought the regulation was so that if one made a blocking move then they wouldn't be allowed to return to the racing line. But it appears that is not the case.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      04-23-2012 10:45 AM #412
      Kimi RAIKKONEN: IthinkwegaveourselvesachanceatleastIt'sabitdisappo intingthatIdidn'tmanagetodoitButImadeasmallmistake atthebeginningandlostoneplacetoFerrariIhadtore-overtakehimandittookalittletimeIgotpastthepeoplequ iteeasilybutifyoulookintheendIthinkwestilltooktool ongandwecouldn'twintheraceButatleastwegotthepodium withbothcarsAfterthelastracewetriedhardandfailedan dprobablypeoplethoughtwewereabitstupidEvenafteryes terdaywhatwedidButitturnedouttobetherightdecisiona ndIthinktheteamdeserveswhatwehaveachievednowWehave beenworkinghardWe'venotbeen100percenthappywithhowt heweekendshaverunsofarbutfinallywe'vegotsomeproper resultsfortheteam,soit'sanimportantstep
      Fixed.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      04-23-2012 11:08 AM #413
      Very excited about Kimi's 2nd. Seeing him and Vettel duke it out was the highlight of the season so far for me. Looked like he was going to do it there for a minute but then lost some time.

This is the closest I can remember the points being.

04-23-2012 12:35 PM #414
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Fixed.

04-23-2012 12:48 PM #415
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post
      Very excited about Kimi's 2nd. Seeing him and Vettel duke it out was the highlight of the season so far for me. Looked like he was going to do it there for a minute but then lost some time.

This is the closest I can remember the points being.
      there have been 4 different race winners in 4 races, all of them from different teams, 3 different drivers from different teams have taken the pole position and 6 different teams on the podium so far, and 8 different drivers on the podium.

i got into formula 1 last year, and this year is absolutely nuts. anything can happen any race weekend.

31. 04-23-2012 01:44 PM #416
      Loving this season so far.. podium positions are all over the place, and even though pole remains an invaluable asset to winning, cars seem to be constantly racing for position throughout the entire field. Seeing Lotus and Mercedes factory teams on the podium after such long periods was awesome, and I'm impressed with the runs being put in by some of the lesser constructors. 8 teams have a serious chance of getting good points every round

04-23-2012 01:54 PM #417
      Quote Originally Posted by BBC
      Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher claims Pirelli are supplying tyres that do not befit Formula 1.

Pirelli re-designed the tyres after being asked to produce ones that make racing more interesting, but Schumacher has complained about high degradation.

"I had to drive at a pace to manage the tyres to finish with tyres left over," he said. "We should question whether that should be the case.

"It's unsatisfying and not what a Formula 1 event should be."

The seven-time champion added: "If 80 or 90% complain, maybe Pirelli should think about it. "I don't think it is right only one or two teams can handle it and the rest struggle so much."
      Yeah F1 was way more exciting in the Schumacher era where he basically won every race for 5 years. Let's go back to that.

"Unsatisfying"? For him maybe, I think fans are pretty happy with the season so far.

"Only one or two teams can handle the tires."? Seems like the lesser teams have way more of a shot at a good finish thanks to the new tires compounds.

Sounds like Schuey whinning to me.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      04-23-2012 02:06 PM #418
      Sounds like Schuey whinning to me.
      I kind of agree with him to some extent, and I don't think he is the first driver to have said something to that effect either. DRS annoys me more than the tires though.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

04-23-2012 02:09 PM #419
      Yeah, there's something 'artificial' to both measures, but it applies equally to everyone and it does make the races more interesting. If you want tonnes of passing though watch MotoGP.

04-23-2012 02:13 PM #420
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      I kind of agree with him to some extent, and I don't think he is the first driver to have said something to that effect either. DRS annoys me more than the tires though.
      interesting read on bbc about it

"It was also interesting to hear Mercedes' Michael Schumacher complain about the Pirelli tyres.
      He is a professional racing driver, and it's all about looking after your tyres. You do that by getting the right balance on the car.

When I was involved with Bridgestone tyres with Jaguar in the early 2000s, in the middle of the tyre war with Michelin, Schumacher and Ferrari had tyres we were not even allowed to look at.
      They cost so much money that Bridgestone could not afford to supply them to everyone. And whenever we did have an opportunity to run a derivative of those tyres, our lap times were much, much better.

It's a bit sad that Michael now sees things the other way around, because a lot of his competitiveness in those days was down to the working relationship he and Ferrari had with Bridgestone, one to which nobody else had access.

Now there's a standard tyre, it's down to him and Mercedes to get it working properly, not point the finger at the supplier."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17816565

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast