Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 F1 Countdown Thread

03-22-2012 11:50 AM #276
      if you havent started following the lotus f1 teams blog you should really get on it. theyve got a facebook page they post stuff up from all the time, some really sick insight.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.lotusf1team.com/
      SEPANG; AN ABRASIVE ADVERSARY – TRACK GUIDE
      Round 2 of the Formula 1 World Championship brings us to Malaysia, where the changeable weather, rough track surface, and undulating bends create quite a challenge for the drivers and engineers. Lotus F1 Team takes a look at the challenges of the Sepang International Circuit.

THE VENUE
      The track surface is very abrasive, particularly in comparison to Albert Park last week which is very smooth. High speed stability is an essential requirement of the tyres here due to the circuit layout, which contains some long straights and quick direction changes.

THE CIRCUIT
      Good engine tractability is required through turns 1 and 2, the second of which leads to a high speed section so making a good exit here is vital. For turn 3, strong stability from the tyres is required through this high speed corner to aid driver confidence before heavy braking for turn 4.

The high speed turns 5 and 6 require stiff suspension. The car can be run lower and stiffer than at other tracks as there are no high kerbs in which is beneficial from this perspective. Turn 7 can prove punishing for the tyres, as the drivers must turn whilst braking for the corner.

Heavy braking after a long straight is required into the final corner, turn 15. This is followed by another long straight, providing a good overtaking opportunity. A variety of lines are taken through here.

The KERS is more effective during qualifying in Sepang due to the location of the start-finish line, as you get two bites of the cherry with the KERS usage on the out lap. While there is heavy braking for turn 1, the brakes will have cooled along the straight and so should not overheat making this is a good overtaking location.

THE CAR
      Downforce levels are very similar to the levels required in Melbourne, however the threat of understeer is not as prevalent as at Albert Park so we can run with slightly less front wing.

In terms of suspension setup, Sepang requires a good all round car. There are high speed straights, very high speed changes of direction in turns 5 and 6, and also some reasonable traction events including the double hairpin at turns 1 and 2 which are very low speed and very tight. There are no high kerbs at this track so the car can be run with a low ride height giving better overall downforce.

There are four heavy braking zones into turn 1, turn 4, turn 14 and turn 15. High temperatures are not such a threat as they might otherwise be here due to the long straights between the braking zones which help to cool the brakes.

Pirelli’s soft and hard compound tyres will be used in Malaysia, meaning a greater gap between compounds than in Albert Park where soft and medium were used. The track is very demanding on tyres due to its aggressive surface, heavy braking areas, long straights and wide variety of speeds and corners.

Malaysia sits towards the upper end of the ‘power tracks’ with 60% of the lap spent at full throttle, but the main challenge is preparing the engine’s cooling systems to cope with the intense heat and humidity. Ambient temperatures can reach over 40°C, so engine cooling becomes crucial. The RS27’s cooling system is refined using dynos back at Viry-Châtillon, where climatic conditions can be recreated including running with 100% humidity and 40°C heat.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      03-24-2012 09:01 PM #277
      Malaysian GP Qualifying resulted in another McLaren front row, but this time the surprise to some in third position will be Schumacher. Kimi took a 5 spot grid penalty due to the change of a gearbox and will start 10th unfortunately. Should be another exciting race - perhaps with the added drama of changing weather conditions.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 07:11 AM #278
      Do whatever you have to do to watch the Malaysian GP. Crazy race - amazing result.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      03-25-2012 07:12 AM #279
      Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
      Do whatever you have to do to watch the Malaysian GP. Crazy race - amazing result.

>8^)
      ER
      Twas an awesome race!

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      03-25-2012 07:12 AM #280

>8^)
      ER
      You should visit the F1 board

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...P-Thread/page2

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      03-25-2012 10:36 AM #281
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Sergio Perez = Trulli Train 2012!
      I think you spoke too soon!

Vehicles
      15' Ford Focus ST st3
      03-25-2012 12:48 PM #282
      just as an FYI incase some of you guys want to watch the honda grand prix of st petersburg (indy car) it is televised on ABC in a few minutes. specifically featuring the new DW12 cars.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Beetle Turbo Fender Edition
      03-25-2012 01:41 PM #283
      I just want to say that TSN has the single worst feed I've ever seen. The commercial transitions were beyond pathetic and seemingly happened at random. All of a sudden you'd hear a old 5 seconds of commercial before the video would switch. Totally unprofessional.

The race was amazing, however.

9. 03-25-2012 02:07 PM #284
      Alonsoooooooo!!!
      What Would Jeremy Do?

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 04:17 PM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Thanks - but I hardly need another forum to try and keep up with.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      03-25-2012 04:37 PM #286
      Good race.

Senna!

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      03-25-2012 05:07 PM #287
      that was a nutty race. I hate sepang. Good job for perez. Hope to see Räikkönen on that podium soon.
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      2007 Mazdaspeed3
      03-25-2012 07:22 PM #288
      The promoters of the Austin race should be thrilled to have a Mexican rising star in the field.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 07:25 PM #289
      Yeah - if only they had a track to race on.

>8^)
      ER

15. 03-25-2012 07:27 PM #290
      Yeah - if only they had a track to race on.
      Didn't you hear?
      The Austin GP will be the only F1 race that takes place on a full dirt track.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 08:32 PM #291
      A similar scenario in Korea last year proved that COTA still has time to get the job done - will they though? It's been pretty messed up so far.

>8^)
      ER

17. 03-25-2012 08:48 PM #292
      A similar scenario in Korea last year proved that COTA still has time to get the job done - will they though? It's been pretty messed up so far.

>8^)
      ER
      I have noticed them keeping the lights on at the track into the evenings and on weekends.
      It seems like they are at least trying.

18. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-26-2012 08:28 AM #293

>8^)
      ER
      I trust Asians to build something rapidly way more than I trust North Americans or Europeans.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      03-26-2012 08:34 AM #294
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      I trust Asians to build something rapidly way more than I trust North Americans or Europeans.

yea but what about mexicans? I figure after Perez's race this past weekend, they would surely want to see him in november, so they will work night and day to get it done. hell if i was mexican, id move over there to help!

20. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-26-2012 08:37 AM #295
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      yea but what about mexicans? I figure after Perez's race this past weekend, they would surely want to see him in november, so they will work night and day to get it done. hell if i was mexican, id move over there to help!
      You make a valid point.

21. 03-26-2012 09:05 AM #296
      You make a valid point.
      Plus you are talking about a race track in Texas.
      Unless it is a public works project, construction tends to go rather quickly.

But still, 237 days is not a whole lot of time to complete the track.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      03-26-2012 04:03 PM #297
      I think you spoke too soon!
      For once, not changing tires worked out brilliantly!

I couldn't believe how quick he was on worn Intermediates behind Alonso. I was really hoping he'd win the race. Amazing drive, pretty much the opposite of what he did in Australia!
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 7/28]

03-26-2012 04:49 PM #298
      cant...read...thread yet....only...half way...through...race...AHRRRGGG!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

24. 03-26-2012 07:59 PM #299
      Well, I thought Sepang was a fantastic race. I hate the track (find it rather boring...rather...Tilke-ish), but the driving was fantastic.

Luckily I caught the first recording, and was able to set up to tape the later showing (so I could get the entire race).

I want to know what everyone thinks about the cryptic radio message and then Sergio stuffing it off the track after being within .5 seconds of Alonso with 4-5 laps left. I have a damn hard time thinking he legitimately lost control.

I am stoked to see Williams and Sauber doing better than some of the top-tier teams. Alonso managing to wrestle the Ferrari into a win. Mercedes falling apart...etc. All in all, I think this season is going to be intense...but I hate to see what I feel may be Ferrari team orders showing (this time, potentially cross-team orders...). Sergio's drive was the best I've seen in a LONG time.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      03-26-2012 08:23 PM #300
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Well, I thought Sepang was a fantastic race. I hate the track (find it rather boring...rather...Tilke-ish), but the driving was fantastic.

Luckily I caught the first recording, and was able to set up to tape the later showing (so I could get the entire race).

I want to know what everyone thinks about the cryptic radio message and then Sergio stuffing it off the track after being within .5 seconds of Alonso with 4-5 laps left. I have a damn hard time thinking he legitimately lost control.

I am stoked to see Williams and Sauber doing better than some of the top-tier teams. Alonso managing to wrestle the Ferrari into a win. Mercedes falling apart...etc. All in all, I think this season is going to be intense...but I hate to see what I feel may be Ferrari team orders showing (this time, potentially cross-team orders...). Sergio's drive was the best I've seen in a LONG time.
      The track is Tilke-ish because it was Tilke's first track, lol. I think that next to Turkey, it was his best work; the turn 1-2-3 complex is beautiful.

There was no cryptic message in my eyes, it was simply Sauber telling him to not be aggressive and throw the place away in difficult conditions when he had 2nd locked up. I'm not sure why you'd have a hard time believing he cocked up; he wouldn't have been the first by any means. There is absolutely no reason for Sergio to have driven off the track intentionally; if Ferrari wanted him to hold station, he could have done that without risking the car and P2 in such a way: just don't pass Fernando.

Conspiracy theorists make my head hurt.

Mercedes is far from falling apart, by the way; Michael was set for another strong race prior to Grosjean deciding he wanted to have another accident.

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast