Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 F1 Countdown Thread

1. 02-19-2012 10:17 PM #26

Nobody can knock Kimi after Suzuka 2005. Easily the most impressive single race performance in the last decade or so.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      02-19-2012 10:35 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      ROFLMAO. Now that was a great laugh.

Go LEWIS
      Look up the stats, friend, and then take into consideration the large number of car failures that either had him start at the back of the grid or took away otherwise all-but-guaranteed race wins.

I'm sorry, but you don't get handed a Super License after competing in just a few dozen races outside of karting if you don't have some proper talent.

Per Wiki:
      Räikkönen had a long line of success in karting from the age of ten. His first race outside Finland was in Monaco when he was 15 years old. During the race, the steering wheel broke, but he continued, informing his mechanic by frantically waving the steering wheel in the air on the home straight. Räikkönen's next Monaco race was also memorable; he was thrown on the wrong side of the safety fence in a first lap collision, but continued driving until running out of road. Undeterred, he lifted his kart back on to the track and continued to race. His mechanic thought Räikkönen had retired, but he eventually caught up with the other competitors and finished third.[7] In 1998 he was 1st in the Nordic (karting) Championship at Varna in Norway. In 1999, Räikkönen placed second in the European Formula Super A championship, and also competed in the Formula Ford Euro Cup. By the age of twenty, he had won the British Formula Renault winter series of 1999, winning the first four races of the year. In 2000, he won seven out of ten events in the Formula Renault UK Championship. Combined, over these two series of Formula Renault, he won 13 out of 23 events - a 56% win rate.

On the basis of these results, Peter Sauber gave the Finn a test with the Sauber Formula One team in September 2000 at the Mugello Circuit.[8] After further tests in Jerez and Barcelona, Sauber signed Räikkönen for the 2001 season. However, some critics (including FIA president Max Mosley) voiced concerns over granting an F1 Super Licence to such an inexperienced driver; Räikkönen had only 23 car races to his credit. He was nevertheless granted his license and scored a championship point in his debut at the 2001 Australian Grand Prix.
      He went on to fill the seat left by Hakkinen at McLaren, so in your mind, Ron Dennis must have been crazy.

3. 02-19-2012 10:36 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Smart people > Ignorant bigots
      Bigot : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
      Try a dictionary once in a while.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      02-19-2012 10:37 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6guy View Post
      Try a dictionary once in a while.
      "Faggonen"

Thanks for playing.

Vehicles
      '11 VW GTI, '16 Golf R (ordered)
      02-19-2012 10:37 PM #30
      can't wait for the season to start...also to hit the canadian GP in june
      for every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty,
      many souls must be trampled - hunter s thompson

6. 02-19-2012 10:39 PM #31
      "Faggonen"

Thanks for playing.
      Do you really think he meant that as a swipe to homosexuals? Is Kimi homosexual?
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.

7. 02-19-2012 10:42 PM #32
      I'm in for anything which keeps F1 from becoming a Schumacher/Ferrari parade albeit with Vettel/RBR. I thought the past couple of seasons were quite good - if you simply ignored Vettel running away at a clip.

I'm hoping for more incredible runs, like Button in Canada last year - one of the weirdest, coolest, most-confusing races I've seen in F1 in years. 5 hours, 7 pit-stops etc...wtf?

To be honest I haven't followed enough off-season to even know about the teams. I knew Kimi was back, but honestly unless something fouls Vettel/RBR it'll be everyone batting for 2nd place again. I really hope someone screws up, or Vettel has a crash or two.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80, '15 Audi S4
      02-19-2012 10:52 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by oakley917 View Post
      as for kimi, i hope his return doesnt totally flop like when schumacher. sad to see him return just to drive a mediocre car that wasnt able to compete
      Actually, the Formula Renault/Lotus cars have been solid over the past few years. Obviously behind the pack of McLaren, Ferrari, and RBR but seemingly like the Mercedes GP team they have the realistic potential to be cars that can consistently finish on the podium. What's important to note is that you never know with the adjustments made in the off-season who will be in front.

Also Schumi is beyond the twilight of his career at the age of 40 or so. Kimi is only 32 and has a decent amount of years left in him.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      02-19-2012 11:18 PM #34
      Do you really think he meant that as a swipe to homosexuals? Is Kimi homosexual?
      Does it matter? It's no different than calling him "N*ggeronen", but you're probably cool with that, too.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      02-19-2012 11:21 PM #35
      Is Kimi homosexual?
      Why don't you ask his wife ?

“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

11. 02-19-2012 11:22 PM #36
      Does it matter? It's no different than calling him "N*ggeronen", but you're probably cool with that, too.
      lol, i might; since it's baseless. Someone calling a Fin a n*gger couldn't make enough sense to be insulting. Context, and intent, matters.

02-19-2012 11:28 PM #37
      lol. miss scandinavia, mmmmmmm.

but seriously, cmon guys. lets keep the **** talking down to actual **** talking and keep the gay bashing to a minimum.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

02-19-2012 11:44 PM #38
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      02-20-2012 12:45 AM #39
      i'm to finally see Trulli out of F1. i didn't dislike him, but he never amounted to much considering all his years in F1. his loss is at least a chance for another younger driver to enter the sport, even though they replaced him with Petrov.

but i'm really stoked to have kimi back and really look forward to more of his riveting interviews.
      welcome to the layer cake

15. 02-20-2012 12:55 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanManuelFangio View Post

Nobody can knock Kimi after Suzuka 2005. Easily the most impressive single race performance in the last decade or so.
      LOL. Not sure if serious, but thanks for the laugh
      Look up the stats, friend, and then take into consideration the large number of car failures that either had him start at the back of the grid or took away otherwise all-but-guaranteed race wins.

I'm sorry, but you don't get handed a Super License after competing in just a few dozen races outside of karting if you don't have some proper talent.

Per Wiki:He went on to fill the seat left by Hakkinen at McLaren, so in your mind, Ron Dennis must have been crazy.
      Did I not say, friend, the man was very talented? And Ron Dennis is crazy thank you very much. He has to be after signing off on that McLaren's road car snooze-fest of an exterior.

16. 02-20-2012 01:11 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      i wish, speed totally kills it for me. i usually wait to torrent the bbc version

and juan, which side of the hamilton v alonzo battle are you on?

I'm definitely an Alonso fan. He seems to be the middle ground between Button's race sense and Hamilton's raw speed and passing ability. Even though Vettel won the last two seasons, I still think Alonso is the best all-around driver in F1.

During the 2007 mess I thought there was fault to be distributed all over the place, but it sure did seem that Dennis was favoring Hamilton by the end of the season. I think that if Dennis had handled the season better one of them would have walked away with the WDC. I also felt like Hamilton was too reckless.

I think both have grown up a bunch since 2007. Hamilton had a rough season in 2011, but I think he will bounce back and be at least competitive with Button. Alonso is as hungry as ever and will always be in the running so long as he has a competitive car.

I think that an on-the-track rivalry with a bit of trash talk between those two would make for a fantastic season.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

17. 02-20-2012 01:17 AM #42
      I can't wait! a true fan here. i hated last year it wasn't worth watching if red bull is going to run away with the championship again sheesh!

18. 02-20-2012 01:22 AM #43
      LOL. Not sure if serious, but thanks for the laugh
      Raikkonen started in 17th on the grid due to rain during his and Alonso's qualifying run that wasn't present during the others' (remember, old qualifying rules). He managed to take the McLaren all the way up to first, passing Fisichella on the final lap. Passing Fisichella isn't a huge achievement (although he was in one of the top two cars that season), but finishing 1st from 17th was a massive achievement.

Remember, passing in 2005 was probably harder than it has ever been since. The cars had no downforce reduction systems and the aero created incredibly dirty air behind those big 3.0L V10 engines with no rev limits.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

02-20-2012 01:28 AM #44
      im the other way around, hamilton all the way! i love the raw recklessness and the passion, so much fun to watch. he may not be the smartest driver on the track, but definitely one of my favorites.

20. 02-20-2012 01:48 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by AHFlynn View Post
      im the other way around, hamilton all the way! i love the raw recklessness and the passion, so much fun to watch. he may not be the smartest driver on the track, but definitely one of my favorites.
      I wouldn't call him reckless but overly aggressive at times. However, if there is a gap a racer should go for it. If he is unable to commit himself to his craft and go for a gap that exists then he should no longer consider himself a race car driver. You race not to come second third or fourth but to win. That's how Hamilton approaches every race and I would have it no other way. The fact of the matter is ofter a lot of these drivers Turn into Hamilton to keep him behind [Button(canada) and Mass(monaco) from last season]. Does he make mistakes of course, but he is committed to the art of racing and without him F1 would be just as boring as Nascar. It's so bad they had to come up with the moveable rear wing just to help these drivers pass their opponents out on the circuit. Ask yourself, did Hamilton need any help with that cause?

21. 02-20-2012 01:56 AM #46
      lol, i might; since it's baseless. Someone calling a Fin a n*gger couldn't make enough sense to be insulting. Context, and intent, matters.

Can you two idiots stop dropping N-bombs in this thread plz.

edit. Sorry for double post

02-20-2012 01:56 AM #47
      I wouldn't call him reckless but overly aggressive at times. However, if there is a gap a racer should go for it. If he is unable to commit himself to his craft and go for a gap that exists then he should no longer consider himself a race car driver. You race not to come second third or fourth but to win. That's how Hamilton approaches every race and I would have it no other way. The fact of the matter is ofter a lot of these drivers Turn into Hamilton to keep him behind [Button(canada) and Mass(monaco) from last season]. Does he make mistakes of course, but he is committed to the art of racing and without him F1 would be just as boring as Nascar. It's so bad they had to come up with the moveable rear wing just to help these drivers pass their opponents out on the circuit. Ask yourself, did Hamilton need any help with that cause?
      haha, youre quoting senna after he intentionally wrecked prost.

its totally true but you also have to finish races, with the FIA throwing punishments at him every other race and a lot of close calls, as well as some wrecks arguably due to going for a pass he probably shouldnt have. i love him as a racer and i wouldnt have it any other way, but he is for sure one of the most fierce and sometimes reckless drivers out there.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      02-20-2012 02:03 AM #48
      Can you two idiots stop dropping N-bombs in this thread plz.

edit. Sorry for double post
      Try looking at the context of my post before calling me an idiot.

As for passing, yeah Hamilton is tenacious, but look at what it gets him more often than not: a wrecked race car or a trip to the stewards. Racing isn't just about throwing your car into every gap you see, it's being smart about when and where to make the move. Hamilton needs to grow up a bit in this regard before he'll be able to add a second WDC to his tally.

Vehicles
      1999 M3 5.0
      02-20-2012 02:03 AM #49
      In for more videos, and paddock girls.
      Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time

l
      1999 BMW M3 5.0- Current l 2008 Mitubishi Evolution GSR- Sold l 2006 CBR 600rr - Sold l 2001 Ducati 748 Biposto - Sold l 1993 MR2 Turbo - Sold l 2006 Buell XB12 SCG - Sold l 1991 Jetta GLI VR6 - Sold l 1991 Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Sold l 1994 Volkswagen Golf - Sold l

25. 02-20-2012 02:04 AM #50
      While I applaud passing in F1 and Hamilton is probably the best at it (at least top 2-3), he will go for gaps that simply aren't there, or put other drivers in situations that are likely to cause a crash. Drivers have questioned his driving style as crossing the line from aggressive to dangerous.

You are right that you want to win, but it is better to win the WDC than an individual race, and sometimes it is better to avoid a risky pass to protect your points. This is why Alonso is better in my book. He knows when to play it safe and when to be aggressive. Hamilton is always aggressive and it has cost him.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast