VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Interested?

Another LED taillight group buy from BKS?

61K views 511 replies 64 participants last post by  ChunkyCkn 
#1 ·
#496 ·
Yes, I had never used a vag com cable before and it took me like 5 minutes.

Amazing shipping time. Fedex ground shipped Friday and arrived in CA on Tuesday!

And I still haven't received the second box from Germany despite it shipping the same day as the first.

#497 ·
Thanks again Bill! hopefully I can get these installed tonight and wont need VAGCOM, but if I do , someone nearby has it to to help.

#499 ·
Got them installed in about 10mins or so, not too bad at all. And looks like no bulb out codes/lights, so thats a plus too, love em! oh shoot, I gotta check the turn signals still, haha...

#500 ·
ah crap, the ambers are going on with the reds for the braking and vice versa for turn signals. I need to find that thread with some coding on it and have to give it a shot. Or anyone else know on models that already have LED's stock?

#503 ·
Here's what I had done and worked like a charm:

Change Byte 18 to go from 62 to 2B. I believe this is in the convenience module.

#506 ·
Recode for LED 1156 replacement lights??

Hey guys - new to the forum, with an '11 A3, so I had the OEM LEDs for parking lights, but the brake and turn signals are 1156 incandescents circa 1950. I ordered LED replacement bulbs and they work perfectly, BUT the CAN bus detects them as burned out, and flashes the instrument panel warning, and blinks fast on the panel, even though the actual signals work normally.

I can clear the codes, but they come right back. From reading here, I suspect that Byte 19 Bit 2 Cold Diagnostic is what I need to switch, but do I also need to change Byte 18 from 62 to 2B? There were so many warnings in the Ross-Tech forum about Byte 18 that I was afraid to mess with it. Any comments? Thanks.

#507 ·
^ not sure if that has anything to do with the bulb out issue, as I had no codes thrown on my car. The changing byte's is simply the wiring/relay most likely for what does what. You may need either a resistor or different LED's that don't throw codes, as Iknow for some of the GTI's at least, sometimes there's nothing you can do for certain types of bulbs.

#510 ·
amazing^, thanks so much for doing this, really appreciate it! :beer::thumbup:

and if anyone's looking for LED US ones, I am selling mine very cheap ;)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.