Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Passat Bluetooth Iphone Stereo vs Mono

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      05-01-2012 09:10 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      IMO, if it's missing wires, I think my warranty should cover them removing the radio, etc. and getting the right harnesses installed.

But wait, we have sound in both sides, just not the right sounds....seems to simple to be a missing wire, somehow.
      By right I don't mean the right side, I mean correct 'imaging' of the stereo.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      05-01-2012 10:13 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by illusionVW View Post
      Looks like this is what we need to be doing.. Damn

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...ers-only-6019/
      Just read this...I guess you can't argue with results right? Still doesn't make sense to me. I took my Passat in yesterday and showed one of the guys in service. He said it was the first he's heard of it, but was going to contact VW and check a database where dealers report issues they're experiencing. Most people probably don't even notice it to report it...

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-02-2012 10:33 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by phat7deuce View Post
      Just read this...I guess you can't argue with results right? Still doesn't make sense to me. I took my Passat in yesterday and showed one of the guys in service. He said it was the first he's heard of it, but was going to contact VW and check a database where dealers report issues they're experiencing. Most people probably don't even notice it to report it...
      Exactly, not many people will niotice it. I sent an email to the dealership yesterday as well as i dont have the liberty of visiting him as i please. i have to drive 2 hrs to get there. please post what you find out after u contact VW.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-02-2012 01:29 PM #74
      I haven't checked back with my dealer, but I suspect they have not done anything. Nice guys, but lets face it, this is probably not a huge issue for a busy dealer. I brought my Jetta in, spoke with the lead electronics guy, showed him the problem and got him to understand. They asked me to bring the car back and leave it with them so they could work with VW on the problem.

I explained that my car is my daily commuter, and asked them, since they probably at least 5 more cars on the lot with the exact same problem, if they could use one of THEIR cars to test on, rather than making me take time off work. They agreed, but sadly, I haven't heard back from them.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 10:15 PM #75
      Looks like this is what we need to be doing.. Damn

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...ers-only-6019/
      I don't think the harness is the issue...the posts below are from the other forum on this. And the harness appears to be correct. The forum on myturbodiesel is referring to 9w7 retrofits, which comes with a whole host of issues since the functionalities of the 9w3 vs 9w7 aren't the same. I still think there's something with the software on the latter produced RCD-510's. Hopefully I hear from the dealer soon...

Quote Originally Posted by gromczyslaw View Post
      I want above and beyond to trace that problem in my SE TDi. I have found the bluetooth module which is under the passanger seat and took the head unit out. It turns out the harness is 100% right. There are 4 wires which interconnects head unit and bluetooth module. Problem is either wrong coding, firmware issue OR the headunit has both channels shorted on input side. Im soon due for courtesy checkup and I will bring this up to the dealer.
      Quote Originally Posted by gromczyslaw View Post

this is a side of bluetooth module.green, blue and two white wires are left and right channel.

head unit side, on the right we can see the same wires going in.

This is RCD-510 unit.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-03-2012 01:36 AM #76
      Thanks for checking. I didn't really think a brand-new car would be using an old harness, which is why I was in no great hurry to check (plus I had to install my fog-lights tonight). So maybe a firmware update will be able to resolve the issue.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-04-2012 04:35 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by phat7deuce View Post
      I don't think the harness is the issue...the posts below are from the other forum on this. And the harness appears to be correct. The forum on myturbodiesel is referring to 9w7 retrofits, which comes with a whole host of issues since the functionalities of the 9w3 vs 9w7 aren't the same. I still think there's something with the software on the latter produced RCD-510's. Hopefully I hear from the dealer soon...
      Yes, Thanks for Checking. But when is the firmware issue going to be fixed.

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      05-09-2012 03:56 PM #78
      My 2012 TDI Passat has this issue also. It's been at the dealer for 5 Days with them working on this problem. I will keep everyone posted when they find a fix. They have tried streaming on other VW's in the lot and can't duplicate the problem on those. They gave me a 2012 Beetle as a loaner and the BT Audio streaming works perfect complete stereo separation.

They have also fixed the problem with the phone starting to stream as soon as it connects. I told them to find a fix for that also. As the Beetle didn't do that.

They tell me I can pick it up tomorrow. They had to order parts. I'll know more tomorrow I hope!
      Last edited by mganske; 05-11-2012 at 09:56 AM.

05-09-2012 03:59 PM #79
      Let us know! I need to make a trip to the dealer anyway for some broken trim.
      2012 Passat TDI SE DSG. 60,000 miles. LED tails, VCDS tweaks (wipers, alarm, cluster)
      1999 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 296,000 miles. RCIII, BV49, S520, Knois.
      1991 Mercedes 350SDL. 225,000 miles, 60k on the replacement motor
      1991 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. 429,000 miles. Totaled
      1992 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. 150,000 miles. Sold.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 09:21 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by mganske View Post
      My 2012 TDI Passat has this issue also. It's been at the dealer for 5 Days with them working on this problem. I will keep everyone posted when they find a fix. They have tried streaming on other VW's in the lot and can't duplicate the problem on those. They gave me a 2012 Beetle as a loner and the BT Audio streaming works perfect complete stereo separation.

They have also fixed the problem with the phone starting to stream as soon as it connects. I told them to find a fix for that also. As the Beetle didn't do that.

They tell me I can pick it up tomorrow. They had to order parts. I'll know more tomorrow I hope!
      Would be good to know, I've had both my cars in with no success on this problem so far...
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

Vehicles
      2014 GLI
      05-10-2012 12:00 AM #81
      Blah, blah, blah... no solutions

"Dear Mr. -------:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the concerns you have with the Bluetooth® system in your Jetta TDI. I appreciate your patience while I researched your concerns.

Again, I am sorry to hear you have concerns with the Bluetooth® system in your Jetta. To get more information regarding the diagnosis performed on your vehicle, I contacted Mr. Charles Carter, the Service Manager of Leith Volkswagen. Mr. Carter advised that scanned your audio system to find any fault codes; however, they did not find any. They then checked to see if there were any compatibility issues between your Bluetooth® device and the audio system, but found they were both compatible with each other. They did find that audio coming from the auxiliary jack or media device had a better sound quality than the streaming audio, but this is normal for the audio system. Per their findings, Leith Volkswagen determined that your audio system is operating to manufacturer’s specifications. As we utilize our dealerships to be our technical resource, we stand behind their diagnosis.

I understand you disagree with this diagnosis, and I regret your experience at Leith Volkswagen did not meet your expectations. You may wish to consider taking your vehicle to a different Volkswagen dealership in your area, for a second opinion on your Bluetooth® system. If you do make an appointment for another diagnosis, please feel free to let me know by e-mail, or calling the Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If you make me aware of your appointment date, time, and location, I will follow up with the dealership on your behalf to ensure they utilize all their technical resources to diagnose your concerns.

We take all customer concerns seriously, and I have documented your feedback, so that we have it on file. Anytime a customer or dealership notifies us of a concern, we document it. We are unable to utilize feedback posted on the Internet, as it cannot be verified. If we begin to see a repair trend, we may address it by issuing a recall campaign or service action to correct the concern. If your Jetta TDI is affected by a campaign in the future, we will notify you by mail.

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Nick F.
      Customer CARE Advocate"

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      05-10-2012 01:16 AM #82
      I had this issue in my previous 2012 Jetta SE w/ Conv. w/ RCD-510.

I have this in my GLI Autobahn w/ RCD-510.

Different phones, different OS's, different cars.

It's a damn radio problem.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-10-2012 01:24 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinFACE View Post
      I had this issue in my previous 2012 Jetta SE w/ Conv. w/ RCD-510.

I have this in my GLI Autobahn w/ RCD-510.

Different phones, different OS's, different cars.

It's a damn radio problem.
      Yes, I tested with an iPhone4s, an iPhone4, an iPad2, and a Droid Razr Maxx. All BT sources had the same exact problem. It is not the devices, but the radios. And not that difficult for a tech to demonstrate for himself.

14. 05-10-2012 10:54 AM #84
      decided to not even bother going to a dealer with it . Did call VW and complained. There has to be a fix soon, the problem it too obvious and ez to see. It is even easier to deny it as in "well, there's no errors code ... the music does play don't it ? ... BT was not designed for HiFi audio etc etc".

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      05-10-2012 02:47 PM #85
      Just got a call from my VW Dealer. They still don't have the problem solved. They have a higher up VW person coming up from Minneapolis on Monday to look at the problem. They said they will get this problem solved. So another weekend and more days without my Passat. We are going on 7 full days working on the problem now.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-10-2012 02:54 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by mganske View Post
      Just got a call from my VW Dealer. They still don't have the problem solved. They have a higher up VW person coming up from Minneapolis on Monday to look at the problem. They said they will get this problem solved. So another weekend and more days without my Passat. We are going on 7 full days working on the problem now.
      You are lucky the dealer atleast recongnized and acknowleged the problem and are working on it. when i brought it to the dealer they told me the system works per design specification. hopefully they will find a solution to fix this issue.

17. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      05-10-2012 03:01 PM #87
      For those of you that can't prove it to the dealer... Take your iPhone go to Settings, General, Accessibility.. In there you can use the Pan option. L to R. When you slide it to the Left it goes out completely. Then Plug it into your AUX jack and stream it using that and do that Pan again. That's how I proved it to my dealer. They said... Yep I see the problem. No Left Channel

Vehicles
      MK4 R32 DBP, 04 Denali XL
      05-10-2012 08:08 PM #88
      Same issue here. Iphone 3GS, '12 Jetta TDI. I'll get more info if I need. Want to be subscribed to this to see what happens.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-12-2012 05:24 AM #89
      All, I wish I had found out about this thread earlier! 2012 Jetta SE with the RCD-510 headunit, right-only audio problem.

I had this problem, and have been smashing my head on the wall dealing with VW and the dealership. I was given three separate, contradicting "official responses" from them: A) "My files aren't in A2DP format", B) "Bluetooth streaming isn't supported by my stereo", and C) "It's working correctly." I am a computer engineer, and have diagnosed the problem to be firmware related. I got fed up with it all, and sent a demand letter to the Corporate Offices in Herndon.. it said pay me $2,000 or I take you to small claims. 7 days later, I received a call from a rep, stating that VW was looking into the problem and he would call me back in 3 days. 3 days later, he calls me back apologizing for my problems, admits the stereo is broken, and says he is going to order an RNS-315 to swap out. Success!

Volkswagen knows this is broken, and does not want to get sued again.

Here's the demand letter I sent, in case anyone cares to go this route.

"Via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation

Volkswagen Group of America
      2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive
      Herndon VA, 20171

Re: Demand for Payment

To whom it may concern:

Please be advised that Volkswagen Group of America owes me the sum of $2,000.00 because the brand new 2012 Jetta SE with Convenience & Sunroof I purchased has a defect pertaining to the Bluetooth functionality. After opening a case with the Corporate office and waiting over a month, I was given an official response stating Volkswagen would not fix the issue due to the “incompatibility” of my files. I am an expert in the field of Computer engineering, and I know this to not be the case. My case number was <case number>.

This will be Volkswagen Group of America's only chance to settle this matter before I file suit against Volkswagen Group of America in Small Claims Court. I am agreeable to a lump sum payment, or to a payment plan. Please contact me on or before <date> for purposes of settling this matter. If I do not hear from Volkswagen Group of America on or before <date>, I will file a lawsuit against Volkswagen Group of America without further notice. It is in Volkswagen Group of America's best interest to settle this matter before a lawsuit is filed. If a judgment is obtained against Volkswagen Group of America, it will negatively affect Volkswagen Group of America's ability to get credit, Volkswagen Group of America will be ordered to pay court costs, and Volkswagen Group of America will incur interest at a rate of 10% per annum.

Based on the foregoing, I expect payment in the amount of $2,000.00 made payable to me, <address> no later than <date>. (I can be reached at: (Telephone: <number>).) If Volkswagen Group of America decides to ignore this demand for payment, I will further pursue all of its legal remedies without further notice to Volkswagen Group of America. This letter serves as evidence that I have attempted to resolve this matter informally.

Sincerely,

<name>"

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-12-2012 05:41 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by jpcacosta View Post
      Blah, blah, blah... no solutions

"Dear Mr. -------:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the concerns you have with the Bluetooth® system in your Jetta TDI. I appreciate your patience while I researched your concerns.

Again, I am sorry to hear you have concerns with the Bluetooth® system in your Jetta. To get more information regarding the diagnosis performed on your vehicle, I contacted Mr. Charles Carter, the Service Manager of Leith Volkswagen. Mr. Carter advised that scanned your audio system to find any fault codes; however, they did not find any. They then checked to see if there were any compatibility issues between your Bluetooth® device and the audio system, but found they were both compatible with each other. They did find that audio coming from the auxiliary jack or media device had a better sound quality than the streaming audio, but this is normal for the audio system. Per their findings, Leith Volkswagen determined that your audio system is operating to manufacturer’s specifications. As we utilize our dealerships to be our technical resource, we stand behind their diagnosis.

I understand you disagree with this diagnosis, and I regret your experience at Leith Volkswagen did not meet your expectations. You may wish to consider taking your vehicle to a different Volkswagen dealership in your area, for a second opinion on your Bluetooth® system. If you do make an appointment for another diagnosis, please feel free to let me know by e-mail, or calling the Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If you make me aware of your appointment date, time, and location, I will follow up with the dealership on your behalf to ensure they utilize all their technical resources to diagnose your concerns.

We take all customer concerns seriously, and I have documented your feedback, so that we have it on file. Anytime a customer or dealership notifies us of a concern, we document it. We are unable to utilize feedback posted on the Internet, as it cannot be verified. If we begin to see a repair trend, we may address it by issuing a recall campaign or service action to correct the concern. If your Jetta TDI is affected by a campaign in the future, we will notify you by mail.

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Nick F.
      Customer CARE Advocate"
      LOL! Here is what they sent me:

"Dear :

Thank you for speaking with me on March 28, 2012 regarding the concerns you have had with music streaming from your phone not streaming in stereo format. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As you requested, I am providing our position on this matter in writing.

I was able to speak with Sean Whinnery, the Quality Technical Manager that works with Volkswagen Santa Monica, regarding your concern. Mr. Whinnery advised that not all music file formats are compatible with the Bluetooth streaming in the Premium VIII radio system, and this can cause concerns such as yours.

Mr. Whinnery recommended using the MDI in your vehicle while listening to music from your phone to eliminate this concer.

I appreciate your patience while I researched your request. Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and I hope you are otherwise enjoying your Jetta.

Sincerely,

Nancy S.
      Regional Case Manager"

Essentially, what VW told me is that my files aren't in A2DP format (although she omitted that part in writing). That basically boils down to them saying something like "you can't transfer that Word document to your flash drive, because it's not in USB format." I laughed at the woman on the phone when she told me that.

Good luck all! I have an appointment Tuesday at VW Santa Monica to have my broken RCD-510 swapped out for a brand new RNS-315 (nav system) at no cost to me. I hope you all get similar treatment eventually!

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 07:22 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by titomb345 View Post
      7 days later, I received a call from a rep, stating that VW was looking into the problem and he would call me back in 3 days. 3 days later, he calls me back apologizing for my problems, admits the stereo is broken, and says he is going to order an RNS-315 to swap out.
      Whoa...I wish you found us earlier, too! I've got this problem in two cars and two trips to the dealership with no success...I think I might be sending a letter...
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      05-12-2012 09:09 AM #92
      LOL! Here is what they sent me:

"Dear :

Thank you for speaking with me on March 28, 2012 regarding the concerns you have had with music streaming from your phone not streaming in stereo format. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As you requested, I am providing our position on this matter in writing.

I was able to speak with Sean Whinnery, the Quality Technical Manager that works with Volkswagen Santa Monica, regarding your concern. Mr. Whinnery advised that not all music file formats are compatible with the Bluetooth streaming in the Premium VIII radio system, and this can cause concerns such as yours.

Mr. Whinnery recommended using the MDI in your vehicle while listening to music from your phone to eliminate this concer.

I appreciate your patience while I researched your request. Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and I hope you are otherwise enjoying your Jetta.

Sincerely,

Nancy S.
      Regional Case Manager"

Essentially, what VW told me is that my files aren't in A2DP format (although she omitted that part in writing). That basically boils down to them saying something like "you can't transfer that Word document to your flash drive, because it's not in USB format." I laughed at the woman on the phone when she told me that.

Good luck all! I have an appointment Tuesday at VW Santa Monica to have my broken RCD-510 swapped out for a brand new RNS-315 (nav system) at no cost to me. I hope you all get similar treatment eventually!
      Can you comment more on how you isolated it to the RCD-510 firmware? From other posters here it seems folks with an earlier RCD do not have the problem, nor do folks with RNS units have the problem, but are the BT modules the same and just the heads different?

Thanks....I guess we'll know for sure once you're swapped out and it's fixed.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-12-2012 02:49 PM #93
      Can you comment more on how you isolated it to the RCD-510 firmware? From other posters here it seems folks with an earlier RCD do not have the problem, nor do folks with RNS units have the problem, but are the BT modules the same and just the heads different?

Sure, I can elaborate. So, the first thing I wanted to do was rule out my device (AT&T iPhone 4 with latest firmware), so I took my Alienware laptop, paired it with the car, and the problem was present. To double confirm, I paired my iPhone to my Alienware, and was able to flawlessly stream stereo Bluetooth to the laptop speakers. So, that rules out my device being the issue.

Next thing I wanted to confirm was that my Bluetooth module was working correctly. I found an earlier thread about the wiring harness possibly causing the issue, so I found the pinouts online for the module, and confirmed that I had the correct harness with two wires running to each channel, left and right. I then went to my dealership in Santa Monica, and asked them to let me plug my Bluetooth module into a car with the RNS-315 headunit. I unplugged my module, plugged it into what I believe was a Jetta SEL (I could be wrong), and paired my phone. No problem present. Therefore, it's not the module.

After that, I wanted to diagnose the headunit's physical wiring, thinking that maybe the right wire was plugged into both the left and right pin on the back of the unit. I had the service guy pull the unit, and confirm the wiring. The left wire was in the left pin, and the right wire was in the right pin. The wiring is not the issue.

This left pretty much one possible outcome: a pin routing issue in the firmware. I did quite a bit of MCU programming in college, so I have a good understanding of it. Basically, you are able to take a pin from a parallel input and route it to a pin on an output device, in this case, leading to the speakers. The issue doesn't seem to be present in the 2011 RCD-510's, and firmware was updated for the unit to implement some new features for the 2012 version. Somewhere, this input-pin to output-pin routing must have been changed, most likely accidentally, to feed the right input-pin to BOTH of the output-pins. More evidence of this is the fact that the left-ride fade option in the settings still works.. if you set it to the left, only the left speakers play the right channel, and to the right, the right speakers play it.

That said, I truly believe this is a firmware issue that Volkswagen could have fixed in less than a day's work. I believe the stereos are made by another company, but getting them to support their devices, especially in firmware, shouldn't be hard. VW seems to have gone in defense mode, maybe trying to reduce the risk of a repeat lawsuit that they recently settled on regarding the Bluetooth modules (9w2 vs. 9w3) in the 2010 Jettas.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-12-2012 02:53 PM #94
      Also, I want to make a very important clarification to the thread title:

The RCD-510 is NOT producing mono audio.

Please, make sure you do NOT tell this to Volkswagen. This is not the case. The difference between monophonic sound and what this headunit is producing is very important. Monophonic sound implies the collapsing of both channels into one, and emitting that one channel (with both left and right) to all the speakers. You lose the panning effect that audio engineers put in the songs, but you still retain quality because both tracks are there.

What the RCD-510 unit emits is a bastardized stereophonic sound. Again, this is a very important difference. If the unit was truly using mono audio, this wouldn't be as big of an issue, and infact, the audio quality would probably go up. Make sure you explain to the VW rep the difference.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-12-2012 03:04 PM #95

Yeah, all of the Bluetooth modules put into the new lineup of VWs is the same. It's what is called the 9w7. It is basically a combination of the previous two BT modules, the 9w2 and the 9w3. Those are the units VW was sued over in the 2010 car. Basically, the 9w2 supported the A2DP protocol (stereo BT audio streaming), but didn't have the phonebook capabilities, and the 9w3 had the phone book capability, but didn't support A2DP. There was a class-action lawsuit that was settled in January of this year regarding the issue, but for the 2011 lineup, VW created the current 9w7 module which has both features (plus the AVRCP which let's you control the audio with next/prev buttons).

Each of the physical headunits are made by different companies. There is the RCD-510 (the one with the issue), the RNS-315 (touch screen 5" nav, no issues), and the RNS-510 (touchscreen nav with bigger screen, DVD playback, can't confirm if issue is present). The Bluetooth module is plug-and-play with each of these units.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 04:44 PM #96
      Sure, I can elaborate. So, the first thing I wanted to do was rule out my device (AT&T iPhone 4 with latest firmware), so I took my Alienware laptop, paired it with the car, and the problem was present. To double confirm, I paired my iPhone to my Alienware, and was able to flawlessly stream stereo Bluetooth to the laptop speakers. So, that rules out my device being the issue.

Next thing I wanted to confirm was that my Bluetooth module was working correctly. I found an earlier thread about the wiring harness possibly causing the issue, so I found the pinouts online for the module, and confirmed that I had the correct harness with two wires running to each channel, left and right. I then went to my dealership in Santa Monica, and asked them to let me plug my Bluetooth module into a car with the RNS-315 headunit. I unplugged my module, plugged it into what I believe was a Jetta SEL (I could be wrong), and paired my phone. No problem present. Therefore, it's not the module.

After that, I wanted to diagnose the headunit's physical wiring, thinking that maybe the right wire was plugged into both the left and right pin on the back of the unit. I had the service guy pull the unit, and confirm the wiring. The left wire was in the left pin, and the right wire was in the right pin. The wiring is not the issue.

This left pretty much one possible outcome: a pin routing issue in the firmware. I did quite a bit of MCU programming in college, so I have a good understanding of it. Basically, you are able to take a pin from a parallel input and route it to a pin on an output device, in this case, leading to the speakers. The issue doesn't seem to be present in the 2011 RCD-510's, and firmware was updated for the unit to implement some new features for the 2012 version. Somewhere, this input-pin to output-pin routing must have been changed, most likely accidentally, to feed the right input-pin to BOTH of the output-pins. More evidence of this is the fact that the left-ride fade option in the settings still works.. if you set it to the left, only the left speakers play the right channel, and to the right, the right speakers play it.

That said, I truly believe this is a firmware issue that Volkswagen could have fixed in less than a day's work. I believe the stereos are made by another company, but getting them to support their devices, especially in firmware, shouldn't be hard. VW seems to have gone in defense mode, maybe trying to reduce the risk of a repeat lawsuit that they recently settled on regarding the Bluetooth modules (9w2 vs. 9w3) in the 2010 Jettas.

Great Troubleshooting! Thanks a lot.

Other folks here have also suggested switching the iPhone to mono mode to improve the quality....but the sound from the other media sources is much better.

Will be contacting VW Monday.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-14-2012 12:00 PM #97
      Should we call customer REP before sending a letter? i already have a case number registered. How are you guys going to handle this situation? Thoughts please?

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 12:50 PM #98
      Should we call customer REP before sending a letter? i already have a case number registered. How are you guys going to handle this situation? Thoughts please?
      I have an appointment Wed morning with my dealer who sold me the car. Will demonstrate the left right balance and that only the right channel is playing through the two speakers.

I was going to call VW first, but then it occurred to me that they would probably tell me to go see the dealer first anyway.

I'm happy to call prior to Wed. if getting a case # is helpful...

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-14-2012 01:16 PM #99
      I have an appointment Wed morning with my dealer who sold me the car. Will demonstrate the left right balance and that only the right channel is playing through the two speakers.

I was going to call VW first, but then it occurred to me that they would probably tell me to go see the dealer first anyway.

I would suggest you call and get a case number assigned before you visit your dealer. They would probably cross reference to that number while you are there. I did the same thing. i think now that i have been sitting and waiting for more than a month iam going to call them today and send the letter.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-14-2012 01:28 PM #100
      I definitely recommend talking to the "Customer Care Center" and getting a case number before threatening to sue. Before I did anything, I spoke to a lawyer about the issue, and he said in most cases, small claims suits will be thrown out if you don't send a demand letter before hand. I also recommend logging all of your time spent on this issue, down to who you spoke to on the phone, and what they said. Along with my demand letter, I sent a 2 and a half page log of phone calls, research done, and anything else associated with this case. I recommend doing that if you can as well.

Also, if any of you end up with "Nancy S." as your regional care manager.. call back and ask for a new one. She is absolutely terrible.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-14-2012 01:42 PM #101

Yep, you are right. The Regional Case manager will probably tell you (or in my case with Nancy S., mock you) that you haven't brought your car in yet. Again, in my case, the dealership refused to service my car, so I couldn't bring it in. It took Nancy S. a week to come to terms with that before she started actually doing "work" on the issue.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 01:48 PM #102
      Yep, you are right. The Regional Case manager will probably tell you (or in my case with Nancy S., mock you) that you haven't brought your car in yet. Again, in my case, the dealership refused to service my car, so I couldn't bring it in. It took Nancy S. a week to come to terms with that before she started actually doing "work" on the issue.
      Well I called VW and now have a case #. I didn't get Nancy S...My rep. took the dealer's name and stated that VW would follow up with the dealer after my appt. on Wed. and call me back on Thursday.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-14-2012 01:51 PM #103
      Well I called VW and now have a case #. I didn't get Nancy S...My rep. took the dealer's name and stated that VW would follow up with the dealer after my appt. on Wed. and call me back on Thursday.
      Good luck to you! Hopefully your dealership is competent and actually cares about the issue, or else you're in for the same treatment I got. Just don't take no for an answer. They are in the wrong, and there is nothing they can say to change that fact. Also, I recommend you let the manager know you plan to file a small claims suit if they don't fix the issue. Just say it with tact, and don't try to leverage the lawsuit in order to get the issue fixed.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 01:55 PM #104
      Good luck to you! Hopefully your dealership is competent and actually cares about the issue, or else you're in for the same treatment I got. Just don't take no for an answer. They are in the wrong, and there is nothing they can say to change that fact. Also, I recommend you let the manager know you plan to file a small claims suit if they don't fix the issue. Just say it with tact, and don't try to leverage the lawsuit in order to get the issue fixed.
      I do actually know the sales manager personally....am hoping I don't have to call him in, but I may do so depending on what the service folks say.

35. Forum Sponsor Andy@Ross-Tech.com's Avatar
      05-15-2012 10:38 AM #105
      My coworker has a loaner NMS today that has the BT problem. AC/DC sounded awful in her car. Here's data from the radio:

Address 56: Radio (J503) Labels: 5M0-035-1xx-56.clb
      Part No SW: 1K0 035 180 AE HW: 1K0 035 180 AE
      Component: Radio Prem-8 H02 0016
      Revision: -----16S Serial number: VWZ4Z7M3259786
      Coding: 0500040004000B

.... and Telephone:

Address 77: Telephone (J412) Labels: 7P6-035-730.clb
      Part No SW: 5K0 035 730 E HW: 5K0 035 730 E
      Component: TELEFON H09 2902
      Revision: 1B001001 Serial number: 00007661321439
      Coding: 0A10040000010110

BT coding is identical to my early NMS (that doesn't have the problem) although this loaner has a 5K0 035 730 E compared to my 7P6 035 730 F. Radio coding is the same except hers has more coding bytes ( 0500040004000B for her 1K0 035 180 AE -vs- 0500040004 for my 1K0 035 180 AD.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast