Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Passat Bluetooth Iphone Stereo vs Mono

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      05-16-2012 08:49 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by titomb345 View Post
      Good luck with the RNS-315! Apparently, VW has no idea how to install an RNS-315 into a car that didn't originally come with the RNS-315. This whole thing has made me despise Volkswagen more than I ever imagined. In a matter of 3 months, I went from VW fanatic who couldn't wait to buy his first VW, to someone who will never, ever associate with the VW brand again.
      I'm not quite there yet...I love this car otherwise (and my wife's Sportwagen is awesome). That said, this is pretty frustrating.
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

2. 05-16-2012 09:47 PM #142
      I just took my TDI JSW in to the dealer today for the courtesy 90-day checkup. I also showed them the bluetooth stereo/mono problem and asked them to try to fix it. (I am having the same issue with my vehicle and also have the RCD-510 system - see my earlier version info post).

Good news: they took me seriously, recognized the problem, and spent all day working on it.

Bad news: they concluded that it is "operating as intended" but that there "is known problems with the iPhone" and that if I want the best experience with an iPhone i should instead "use the MDI port."

So... nothing's changed.

One interesting piece of trivia, the service rep said they were able to get a Samsung (presumably running Android?) to function properly, but I'm skeptical they actually achieved a true stereo signal.

I really do appreciate them trying so hard, but I think this problem is just beyond / out of the hands of the local dealer service.

Has anyone actually found any way to SOLVE this problem? Is it a wiring issue? Is it firmware? Is it phone incompatibility? I feel like if I had a definitive answer then I could just tell them what's wrong and how to fix it (or work some kind of deal).

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S-Mars Red; 2004 Jetta GLS 1.8t-Reflex Silver, 2012 GLI 6M PGM, 1998 Jetta 2.0 Red
      05-16-2012 10:19 PM #143
      .....the people that handle the "Social media" end at VW probably have no idea what 'Bluetooth' even is.
      I'm guessing you are correct, but I figured give it a try and see if I got some sort of response. Nothing so far

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-16-2012 10:22 PM #144
      I've been watching this thread and don't be offended but if there isn't a fix yet, if they haven't determined what to fix yet, they can't fix any of your cars. By all means tell them there is a problem so they can get on it, but don't be disappointed to receive the same answer.

The dealer can decide to replace stuff it they like, but if VW is paying for it, they have to follow protocol.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

5. 05-16-2012 11:05 PM #145
      It looks like there may be 2 possible solutions:

1. Fixing the wiring harness to support stereo audio (although there is conflicting information on this)
      2. Updating the 9w7 bluetooth module to version "F"

Both are described here:
      http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...luetooth-Audio

I am also curious if anyone has tried the RNS-510 (navigation) version and determined whether this has the same problem or not?

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-16-2012 11:06 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by oronymo View Post
      I just took my TDI JSW in to the dealer today for the courtesy 90-day checkup. I also showed them the bluetooth stereo/mono problem and asked them to try to fix it. (I am having the same issue with my vehicle and also have the RCD-510 system - see my earlier version info post).

Good news: they took me seriously, recognized the problem, and spent all day working on it.

Bad news: they concluded that it is "operating as intended" but that there "is known problems with the iPhone" and that if I want the best experience with an iPhone i should instead "use the MDI port."

So... nothing's changed.

One interesting piece of trivia, the service rep said they were able to get a Samsung (presumably running Android?) to function properly, but I'm skeptical they actually achieved a true stereo signal.

I really do appreciate them trying so hard, but I think this problem is just beyond / out of the hands of the local dealer service.

Has anyone actually found any way to SOLVE this problem? Is it a wiring issue? Is it firmware? Is it phone incompatibility? I feel like if I had a definitive answer then I could just tell them what's wrong and how to fix it (or work some kind of deal).

Not sure what they tried. i can vouch the system behaved the same with HTC, Blackberry and a Samsung Galaxy when i tried streaming via BT.

7. 05-16-2012 11:07 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Andy@Ross-Tech.com View Post
      I just did a test with my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and stock RCD-510 (1K0-035-180-AD with Mute button and firmware 0018 ). I played AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" first from an SD card and next from the phone over BT streaming. In both cases, the distinctive opening guitar riff comes through only the left side speaker first before it's joined by other instrumentation. So, mine definitely plays stereo, not mono. This demonstrates the audio separation for your rockin' pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iOk8PqkKs
      Do you know what the differences between the AD and AE units are (other than just the mute button)?

Also, do you know which bluetooth module you have? (9w7 or 9w3)?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:18 AM #148
      It looks like there may be 2 possible solutions:

1. Fixing the wiring harness to support stereo audio (although there is conflicting information on this)
      2. Updating the 9w7 bluetooth module to version "F"

Both are described here:
      http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...luetooth-Audio

I am also curious if anyone has tried the RNS-510 (navigation) version and determined whether this has the same problem or not?
      This is not the case. The problem with the RCD-510 is the software or firmware. It is not a wiring issue. I have confirmed that this issue is not present on the RNS-315, but not yet the RNS-510, but I hear rumblings that it isn't.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:20 AM #149
      The Volkswagen Santa Monica dealership has now had my 2012 Jetta for 48 hours. They have installed the stereo, but can't correctly program it to my car. This is a joke! Everything I have read about the radio says it's plug-and-play, after you enter the code provided by VW. How could it take 48+ hours to install a headunit?

I looked the dealership up on Yelp, and have decided this is the last time I bring my car there. Reading the reviews was like reading a horror story.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:25 AM #150

So... nothing's changed.

They completely lied to you. They did NOT get a phone to work correctly with the headunit, unless the device was set to MONO, in which case the problem was simply masked by the phone's OS.

And I got the same bit about the MDI port. What a load of crap! I pay $9.99 a month for Spotify, and guess what doesn't work through the MDI port?! Neither does Pandora, Youtube, or any other app that plays music. Not to mention, I use my phone as a GPS, and that is physically impossible to do with my phone plugged into the MDI port in the glovebox. And what if I buy a Droid?! Then what do I do? Use the auxiliary plug? Then I lose the ability to control the tracks, and the spiffy steering wheel I paid for with it's built in stereo controls becomes worthless.

What a joke. We paid for a feature, it doesn't work, and VW is seemingly (for most people) refusing to fix the issue.

This smells like a class-action waiting to happen. And to think, Volkswagen JUST settled a class-action lawsuit in JANUARY from the 2010 lineup. You want to know what they got sued over?? THE BLUETOOTH MODULE! How ironic is that?!

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      05-17-2012 05:32 AM #151
      This is not the case. The problem with the RCD-510 is the software or firmware. It is not a wiring issue. I have confirmed that this issue is not present on the RNS-315, but not yet the RNS-510, but I hear rumblings that it isn't.
      We paired an iPhone4 in a Passat 2.5 SEL with the RNS-510 yesterday, and the BT streams fine

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      05-17-2012 05:35 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      I've been watching this thread and don't be offended but if there isn't a fix yet, if they haven't determined what to fix yet, they can't fix any of your cars. By all means tell them there is a problem so they can get on it, but don't be disappointed to receive the same answer.

The dealer can decide to replace stuff it they like, but if VW is paying for it, they have to follow protocol.
      The issue is getting them to work on the problem.....if they claim all is to spec, then they aren't working on a fix.

It's like a tent maker forgetting to waterproof the fabric, and when you complain that your tent leaks, the vendor says well, all the tents leak, so your tent is working properly.

I happy to wait for a patch....I like the way my radio works, sounds, etc.....I just want a fix to it that doent lose the nice phone menu that is not present on the AD radio.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      05-17-2012 05:52 AM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      The issue is getting them to work on the problem.....if they claim all is to spec, then they aren't working on a fix.

It's like a tent maker forgetting to waterproof the fabric, and when you complain that your tent leaks, the vendor says well, all the tents leak, so your tent is working properly.

I happy to wait for a patch....I like the way my radio works, sounds, etc.....I just want a fix to it that doent lose the nice phone menu that is not present on the AD radio.
      I agree. If they told me, "We know it's a problem, we don't have a fix, yet...but we will and then we will take care of it", I would be perfectly fine. Like I said before, I'd gladly take an upgraded radio, but I really just want mine to work correctly.

Unfortunately what VWGoA are saying is, "This is not a problem, the radio is supposed to stream only half of the song...that's the way we wanted it to be. Oh, and the thing about the early run-2012's working just fine? We changed our mind halfway through the year...we decided full stereo didn't sound so good. This was all intended. And everything is fine...just the way it's supposed to be. And we think you must believe in unicorns, because you are the crazy one."

Stand by your product, or at least give it to me straight, but don't tell me a problem that is clearly identified isn't a problem.
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-17-2012 09:18 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by phat7deuce View Post
      I agree. If they told me, "We know it's a problem, we don't have a fix, yet...but we will and then we will take care of it", I would be perfectly fine. Like I said before, I'd gladly take an upgraded radio, but I really just want mine to work correctly.

Unfortunately what VWGoA are saying is, "This is not a problem, the radio is supposed to stream only half of the song...that's the way we wanted it to be. Oh, and the thing about the early run-2012's working just fine? We changed our mind halfway through the year...we decided full stereo didn't sound so good. This was all intended. And everything is fine...just the way it's supposed to be. And we think you must believe in unicorns, because you are the crazy one."

Stand by your product, or at least give it to me straight, but don't tell me a problem that is clearly identified isn't a problem.
      AMEN Brother!

VW all we are asking is "ACKNOWLEDGE THE SCREWUP and Give us a an ETA to FIX THE DAMN SCREWUP"

15. 05-17-2012 01:05 PM #155
      A nasty route to take and prolly one that requires wasting few days at a dealer - w/o them being able to fix anything ... grrrrrr ....

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 01:06 PM #156
      The Volkswagen Santa Monica dealership has now had my 2012 Jetta for 48 hours. They have installed the stereo, but can't correctly program it to my car. This is a joke! Everything I have read about the radio says it's plug-and-play, after you enter the code provided by VW. How could it take 48+ hours to install a headunit?

I looked the dealership up on Yelp, and have decided this is the last time I bring my car there. Reading the reviews was like reading a horror story.
      LOL, tell them to look at the VAG-COM faq for the steps to perform to add nav to a car that didn't come with it! (NOT LOL at your situation, but the whole thing!)

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 01:09 PM #157
      We paired an iPhone4 in a Passat 2.5 SEL with the RNS-510 yesterday, and the BT streams fine
      Id be curious to know what hardware revision of the 510 you used was. I suspect it was not xxxAE.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 01:10 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by phat7deuce View Post

LOL! So true.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 01:17 PM #159
      I will have to say, through the frustration of this experience, my Dealership has been excellent. They see the problem, and they are working with VoA on a resolution. We'll see if some dealer pressure gets any movement on the situation. Antelope Valley VW in Palmdale, Ca.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-17-2012 03:29 PM #160
      Recent Development:

i have been assigned a RCM. Oh well the Story Continues

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:54 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by tdhart View Post
      Id be curious to know what hardware revision of the 510 you used was. I suspect it was not xxxAE.
      He was trying it on the RNS-510, the large screen nav system, just to confirm that it works fine. The RCD-510 is the issue.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-17-2012 04:15 PM #162
      He was trying it on the RNS-510, the large screen nav system, just to confirm that it works fine. The RCD-510 is the issue.
      Any luck with your RNS 315 install ?

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 04:27 PM #163
      It was an RNS, with a Nav system, so no AE....not even an RCD radio....others here have reported no problems, and it worked great for me.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 05:14 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by illusionVW View Post
      Any luck with your RNS 315 install ?
      Nope, lol. Going on 60 hours they've had my car. I haven't even gotten an update today.

I will be calling at 5:00 PM my time to tell them fix it by tomorrow morning, or I'm taking it to another dealership.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 05:16 PM #165
      It was an RNS, with a Nav system, so no AE....not even an RCD radio....others here have reported no problems, and it worked great for me.
      Thank you for confirming this! We know know that both the RNS-315 and the RNS-510 work correctly.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 05:17 PM #166
      I think maybe we should starting raising hell with Delphi, the company that (according to this site) makes the RCD-510 system. If we contact them directly, they might be willing to work on the software on their own.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 05:32 PM #167
      Thank you for confirming this! We know know that both the RNS-315 and the RNS-510 work correctly.
      Get your car, and your 315, drive up to Lancaster, and we'll do the coding with my VAG-Com

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 05:34 PM #168
      Sorry, I must not have been paying close enough attention before I fired up the keyboard.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 05:35 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by illusionVW View Post
      Recent Development:

i have been assigned a RCM. Oh well the Story Continues
      Good luck, I've been assigned one twice, haven't heard from either of 'em.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 05:36 PM #170
      Get your car, and your 315, drive up to Lancaster, and we'll do the coding with my VAG-Com
      Where is Lancaster? Heh, might totally be worth it. The RNS-315 is "properly installed" or so they tell me, it just hasn't been programmed.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 05:37 PM #171
      Really? Nancy S. called me the day after I called customer care. You have been shafted twice?!

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-17-2012 05:46 PM #172
      Where is Lancaster? Heh, might totally be worth it. The RNS-315 is "properly installed" or so they tell me, it just hasn't been programmed.
      Cool. I have the cable, Lancaster is up the 14 Freeway, about 35 miles past Valencia / Santa Clarita.

While I will say that I've never done the NAV recoding, the process seems pretty well documented here...

They might be unwilling to warranty it if done by someone else though. Probably best to let them figure it out.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 05:49 PM #173
      Cool. I have the cable, Lancaster is up the 14 Freeway, about 35 miles past Valencia / Santa Clarita.

While I will say that I've never done the NAV recoding, the process seems pretty well documented here...

They might be unwilling to warranty it if done by someone else though. Probably best to let them figure it out.
      That's what is pissing me off. It appears this has been done many times by people, in a DIY fashion. And this dealership can't do it? A bunch of (hopefully) trained professionals, with help from the VW technical team? Unbelievable.

34. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-17-2012 06:05 PM #174
      Ahhhh man.. i was hoping this is going somewhere.. CRAP.

35. Junior Member JennyDriscoll's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat
      05-17-2012 06:25 PM #175

Lancaster is absolutely local to me. Good to know there is something knowledgeable close-by

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast