Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Passat Bluetooth Iphone Stereo vs Mono

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 10:07 PM #176
      RNS-315 install update: The geniuses at my dealership bricked my control unit while attempting to install my new headunit. A process that should take 4-5 hours is now going to take over 7 days. It's taking all of my strength to not drive over there and beat the crap out of someone.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      05-17-2012 10:53 PM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by titomb345 View Post
      RNS-315 install update: The geniuses at my dealership bricked my control unit while attempting to install my new headunit. A process that should take 4-5 hours is now going to take over 7 days. It's taking all of my strength to not drive over there and beat the crap out of someone.
      That sucks!!!

I have my appointment tomorrow with the regional case manager calling the dealership (hopefully). I e-mailed customer care in addition to calling and described the problem in painstaking detail. Here's hoping that helps...
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

3. 05-18-2012 12:22 AM #178
      Side question. Not only am I experiencing the diminished sound, I cannot grab tags. I've tagged both in HD radio and Sirius. In each case, a message saying that no tagging device was connected comes up.

I've tried both of our Iphone 4s, a friends 3gs and my ipad.

Natureboy

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-18-2012 12:38 AM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by illusionVW View Post
      Ahhhh man.. i was hoping this is going somewhere.. CRAP.
      Maybe it is, got home and had a message from my dealer and from the regional... They will update me monday.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-18-2012 12:40 AM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by JennyDriscoll View Post
      Lancaster is absolutely local to me. Good to know there is something knowledgeable close-by
      Happy to help if I can.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-18-2012 01:30 AM #181
      Quote Originally Posted by tdhart View Post
      Maybe it is, got home and had a message from my dealer and from the regional... They will update me monday.
      Don't get your hopes up. The response you get will most likely be one of the following:

A) "The device is working to designer specifications" - if they say this, ask them to send you this response in writing, as well as a copy of the specifications that say it should be doing what it is.

B) "Your files are incompatible with the stereo, please use the MDI port instead" - again, ask for this in writing. It will be hilarious to bust it out in court. I've saved mine.

C) "This feature is not supported by your car" - just laugh at them.

Unfortunately, I was given each of these answers by three different people, so maybe you will hear them all too!

I hope I am wrong, and please update us when you hear back from them!

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 07:17 AM #182
      Don't get your hopes up. The response you get will most likely be one of the following:

A) "The device is working to designer specifications" - if they say this, ask them to send you this response in writing, as well as a copy of the specifications that say it should be doing what it is.

B) "Your files are incompatible with the stereo, please use the MDI port instead" - again, ask for this in writing. It will be hilarious to bust it out in court. I've saved mine.

Unfortunately, I was given each of these answers by three different people, so maybe you will hear them all too!

I'm so ready for this...by their logic, if this is per designer specifications, then VW made a conscious choice to change from full stereo streaming (early 2012 RCD-510: AD) to purposely streaming only half of every song (late 2012 RCD-510: AE). I can't imagine they could say that with a straight face...but per your advice, I'm doing everything in writing...
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-18-2012 10:17 AM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by phat7deuce View Post
      I'm so ready for this...by their logic, if this is per designer specifications, then VW made a conscious choice to change from full stereo streaming (early 2012 RCD-510: AD) to purposely streaming only half of every song (late 2012 RCD-510: AE). I can't imagine they could say that with a straight face...but per your advice, I'm doing everything in writing...
      I am hoping to hear from them today as well. Will do ask for everything in writing if they give me this same crap per your advice.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      05-18-2012 10:36 AM #184
      I'd be happy just to hear any music from my iPhone. I picked my new Passat up Monday and to this point I still haven't been able to get music to play via the MDI cable or BT. It's starting to annoy me.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-18-2012 12:34 PM #185

I already have the "working to spec" in writing on my service order from the dealer, this is secondary to that, and a result of my telling them that I was not okay with that answer. We'll see.

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 08:27 PM #186
      So, i showed my guy at the dealership how to test the streaming issue using the L/R slider on the iPhone. I know the Regional Case Manager contacted the dealership and they were working through it.

He said he tried it on all the other RCD-510's on the lot and found the same problem (not a surprise, but confirms the problem). VW Customer Care is supposed to contact me by end of day Monday...

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-18-2012 08:53 PM #187
      So, i showed my guy at the dealership how to test the streaming issue using the L/R slider on the iPhone. I know the Regional Case Manager contacted the dealership and they were working through it.

He said he tried it on all the other RCD-510's on the lot and found the same problem (not a surprise, but confirms the problem). VW Customer Care is supposed to contact me by end of day Monday...
      Prepare for "working to spec" in 3..2..1.....

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-18-2012 09:04 PM #188

When they say it's "working to spec," ask them to look up my case number and have them re-consider their answer. Case number 120138539.

Good luck!

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 09:14 PM #189
      Prepare for "working to spec" in 3..2..1.....
      I'm ready...and in fact almost looking forward to it...I dig a good fight. I sent the Regional Case Manager and the dealership the following e-mail prior to today's appointment.

To whom it may concern,

Thank you for looking into this case. In order to expedite solving this problem, I wanted to e-mail you with the details around this problem and what I've found out through research and experimenting. My car will be at the dealership tomorrow (Friday, 5/17/2012)

A little over a month ago my wife and I purchased two new VW's. I purchased a 2012 VW Passat TDI SE and my wife purchased a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Both have the same Premium VIII radio (RCD-510).

One of the features we were really excited about was the ability to stream music via Bluetooth A2DP. After listening for awhile, many songs didn't sound quite right and some sounded awful. It took a bit, but we finally figured out what it was. The audio only streams part of each song.

I wanted to explain the next part explicitly. Every song recorded in stereo has two channels, the left and right. This radio only receives the right channel. Therefore anything that is recorded on the left channel doesn't play. If there are vocals or guitar, etc. on the left channel...it doesn't play. It's very noticeable on certain songs, where you could be missing entire parts of a song. When I tried to show the dealership the first time, they thought it was fine because sound actually comes out of all speakers, however that sound is actually only from the right channel. The radio therefore only plays half of every song. (See illustration attached).

It doesn't seem to matter what type of Bluetooth device you have...same result every time...only the right channel. We happen to have iPhones (4 and 4s), but it also happens with iPads, Laptops and Android devices.

Through friends who also have new VW's we also found the following. VW's that were early in the 2012 production cycle (ours are later in the production cycle) with the same type radio, actually stream music correctly in stereo - both left and right channels. Music also streams correctly on the cars equipped with the RNS-315 and RNS-510. We have found that the early production 2012 models came with a different version of the RCD-510 (the "phone" button is actually a "mute" button instead) and has a different part number. We both have the newer version of the RCD-510. It seems odd that the newer version of the radio actually performs not as intended wheras the older version performs as intended. (See part numbers below.)

Early production 2012 RCD-510's (streams correctly) - Part Number: 1K0035180AD
      Late production 2012 RCD-510's (doesn't stream correctly - OURS) - Part Number: 1K0035180AE

So, through trial and error with our cars and our friends we have narrowed the issue to our version of the RCD-510 head unit (part number: 1K0035180AE). We know it's not the phone and not the 9w7 Bluetooth module.

I wanted to make sure I explained the problem thoroughly so that it could be verified and then corrected. I am a loyal VW customer having bought my last 5 cars new from VW. We just spent $60,000 on new cars and are optimistic that Volkswagen will do the right thing to acknowledge it and fix them both.
      Last edited by phat7deuce; 05-18-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 09:17 PM #190
      When they say it's "working to spec," ask them to look up my case number and have them re-consider their answer. Case number 120138539.

Good luck!
      Thank you...that is really helpful!

16. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      05-19-2012 06:28 PM #191
      I just got my 2012 Passat TDI back from my dealer yesterday. BT problem is solved. Well kinda. Because VW wouldn't give them any solutions to fix the problem. VW upgraded my RCD-510 to a RNS-315 Nav system. At no cost to me. VW paid for labor and parts 100%.

Take it to your dealer and demand they fix it. I can't believe that some of your dealers will not help you as a customer. The dealer was on my side on this project and helped convince VW of the problem.

I'm wondering if more and more people are having the RNS-315 installed to replace this. My dealer told me there was only 1 available in the US. They ordered the part before VW even agreed to replace it. But after they agreed to replace it they installed it for me. They have to remove your compass and install a NAV antenna to make the new Nav system work.

Good luck to you all!

Last edited by mganske; 05-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 09:01 PM #192
      Quote Originally Posted by mganske View Post
      I just got my 2012 Passat TDI back from my dealer yesterday. BT problem is solved. Well kinda. Because VW wouldn't give them any solutions to fix the problem. VW upgraded my RCD-510 to a RNS-315 Nav system. At no cost to me. VW paid for labor and parts 100%.

Take it to your dealer and demand they fix it. I can't believe that some of your dealers will not help you as a customer. The dealer was on my side on this project and helped convince VW of the problem.

I'm wondering if more and more people are having the RNS-315 installed to replace this. My dealer told me there was only 1 available in the US. They ordered the part before VW even agreed to replace it. But after they agreed to replace it they installed it for me. They have to remove your compass and install a NAV antenna to make the new Nav system work.

Good luck to you all!

I hear back Monday...hoping for a similar resolution...

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      05-21-2012 10:28 AM #193

Good luck to you all!

Are you willing to post your case #?

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      05-21-2012 10:43 AM #194
      Sorry I never got one. My dealer did all of the complaining to VW. The only calls I got from VW was we are working on it. Then I got a call saying that they decided to replace the radio for me.

Vehicles
      2002 Saab 9-3 SE (sold), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5 w/ roof
      05-21-2012 10:45 AM #195
      Sorry I never got one. My dealer did all of the complaining to VW. The only calls I got from VW was we are working on it. Then I got a call saying that they decided to replace the radio for me.
      Maybe the dealer name and location would help....my Regional case manager is based in Michigan....thought you were in MN from earlier posts?

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-21-2012 12:15 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      Maybe the dealer name and location would help....my Regional case manager is based in Michigan....thought you were in MN from earlier posts?
      Yes Please, Post your dealer information and location. I have an appointment this weekend with my dealership and iam also supposed to hear back from RCM this week as well.

22. 05-21-2012 03:24 PM #197
      They know about the problem and know how to fix it. Yet we're expected to individually prove to a local service center, the fact that we have a problem, at expense of hours and days of wasted time

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE
      05-21-2012 03:58 PM #198
      Here is My Dealer Information. I don't know how much it's going to help because they really didn't fix the problem. They just did a work around by giving me a new radio.

Eich Motor Company
      www.eichvw.com

Hope this helps. Have your dealer contact them.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-21-2012 06:38 PM #199
      Here is My Dealer Information. I don't know how much it's going to help because they really didn't fix the problem. They just did a work around by giving me a new radio.

Eich Motor Company
      www.eichvw.com

Did anyone else get Addey assigned as their RCM? i received a voicemail from her today regarding my case.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-21-2012 06:42 PM #200

Eich Motor Company
      www.eichvw.com

Thank you very much. Iam assuming your dealer ship worked with the same RCM. We'll see how it goes. I have an appointment this saturday.

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 06:51 PM #201
      Did anyone else get Addey assigned as their RCM? i received a voicemail from her today regarding my case.
      I got an Allison assigned as my case manager (also a call coming from Michigan)...a bit frustrating, she called at 5:02PM. I was in a meeting, so I called back at 5:10PM to find she's gone for the day. She waited until the very end of her shift to call. Frustrating.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-21-2012 07:12 PM #202
      I got an Allison assigned as my case manager (also a call coming from Michigan)...a bit frustrating, she called at 5:02PM. I was in a meeting, so I called back at 5:10PM to find she's gone for the day. She waited until the very end of her shift to call. Frustrating.
      this is the number i had in the voicemail log 2487542289 i tried to call her back and it gives me a busy tone

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 08:26 PM #203
      this is the number i had in the voicemail log 2487542289 i tried to call her back and it gives me a busy tone
      I heard from Dolores today, same # but 2288....She said if I thought my dealer made a mistake in claiming my radio met specs, I should try a different dealer to 'get a second opinion'

My dealer called some kind of VW "tech line" who supposedly tested their RCD-510, which also streams one channel, and then told the dealer that the car was working to spec. When I suggested to Dolores that a different dealer would call the same # and get the same answer from VW, and hence it was VW and not the dealer who needed to act, she had nothing to say. In fact, most of what she said was gibberish designed to confuse me.

I think the point is they don't allow the RCM's to admit there's a problem unless there are told to do so by someone else, and thus until there's a TSB, or we write letters, no fix.

I spoke with the service manager at my dealer....he agreed with me that it seems wrong that the unit only streams one channel, but again, with tech line saying it was working correctly, he thought my sending a letter to VW would be more effective than him raising the issue. He indicated that tech line will say everything is working fine one week, only to issue a TSB on the same issue the very next week.

I think it's send a letter and hope for a fix of some kind....
      Last edited by MasVW11; 05-21-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE 4WD; 2009 Jetta SE
      05-22-2012 12:55 AM #204
      I know this is the Passat board, but just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that our 2012 Tiguan (built December 2011, purchased March 2012) has the same mono Bluetooth streaming you all are experiencing in the Passat with the RCD-510 (with the phone button).

We have our 90-day courtesy checkup in 2 weeks and I'm going to raise hell about the Bluetooth. Using the MDI cable is not an solution because I listen to Rdio and Pandora often, and for starters it's a pain in the ass to get Rdio/Pandora to play through the MDI cable instead of iPod music to begin with. Once you have the app streaming through the MDI cable, you better not hit "Next" on the radio or the steering wheel controls or else it'll start playing from the iPod again.

We did not pay extra to have a half-functioning advertised feature. The only acceptable resolution will be to fix the existing radio, or give us an equal or better radio that will provide us the advertised functionality.

The Tiguan boards are pretty dead, so hope you guys don't mind me joining in on the "fun"

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 01:00 AM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by creanium View Post
      I know this is the Passat board, but just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that our 2012 Tiguan (built December 2011, purchased March 2012) has the same mono Bluetooth streaming you all are experiencing in the Passat with the RCD-510 (with the phone button).

We have our 90-day courtesy checkup in 2 weeks and I'm going to raise hell about the Bluetooth. Using the MDI cable is not an solution because I listen to Rdio and Pandora often, and for starters it's a pain in the ass to get Rdio/Pandora to play through the MDI cable instead of iPod music to begin with. Once you have the app streaming through the MDI cable, you better not hit "Next" on the radio or the steering wheel controls or else it'll start playing from the iPod again.

We did not pay extra to have a half-functioning advertised feature. The only acceptable resolution will be to fix the existing radio, or give us an equal or better radio that will provide us the advertised functionality.

The Tiguan boards are pretty dead, so hope you guys don't mind me joining in on the "fun"
      Welcome...Not sure fun is the right word....I wish I had the MDI....they put it in the Jetta SE/roof but in the Passat, you have to get the Nav trim to get the MDI. so BT is our only option other than the SD card.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE 4WD; 2009 Jetta SE
      05-22-2012 01:06 AM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      Welcome...Not sure fun is the right word....I wish I had the MDI....they put it in the Jetta SE/roof but in the Passat, you have to get the Nav trim to get the MDI. so BT is our only option other than the SD card.
      Thanks! It's always bugged me that VW's trim levels aren't consistent across models. You'd think that a Passat SE would at least have the same standard features as a Jetta SE (and then some). I realize they have price points they need to hit, but really, can't spare a $60 module and cable?

I'd get away with the SD card if I could, but I listen to podcasts a lot (in addition to music) and so it's just easiest to use my phone so I can pick up where I left off and not have to jump around trying to find my spot on the SD card. The SD card works well for music I already have, but for how I actually use the radio in the car: I'm with you, Bluetooth is the best and only option, and the MDI cable might as well be non-existent for as poorly as it works for apps other than the iPod music.

32. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-22-2012 08:09 AM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by creanium View Post

Welcome. You are not alone :-)

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-22-2012 02:38 PM #208
      Just got back from the dealership with my brand spanking new RNS-315 installed. NO BLUETOOTH STEREO ISSUE!

Send the letters guys. Make VW pay for their bull**** antics and broken stereos.

34. 05-22-2012 04:28 PM #209
      Well, now, for all of your trouble you have a Nav, can watch DVD and, if you so desire, outfit er with a rear view camera . That and play music over A2DP

Just might take the route ... Tired of having to use a $30 bluetooth adapter (via AUX) on a car that has a built-in BT

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-22-2012 04:57 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by r11 View Post
      Well, now, for all of your trouble you have a Nav, can watch DVD and, if you so desire, outfit er with a rear view camera . That and play music over A2DP

Just might take the route ... Tired of having to use a $30 bluetooth adapter (via AUX) on a car that has a built-in BT
      Actually, I found out the geniuses at VW didn't bother to update the firmware on the stereo they sent me. So now, I am missing some VERY IMPORTANT Bluetooth features. The firmware on my RNS-315 doesn't support AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile), which gives me the ability to prev/next tracks directly from my car, either on the steering wheel control panel, or the headunit itself. THIS IS NOT OKAY! I have called the dealership to see if they can update it, but they haven't called back yet. Luckily, this is something they SHOULD be able to do, in no time at all. It just sucks because I have to take MORE time off work to drive my ass back to Santa Monica to get it done!

The nightmare continues

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast