Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Passat Bluetooth Iphone Stereo vs Mono

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-15-2012 09:02 PM #126
      Yes, exactly. What if the problem were something like the engine or brakes or whatever? I have lost confidence that VW will stand behind their product. I took a chance buying this vehicle, and one of the reasons I did so, aside from the TDI engine, was that it had all of the Media features I wanted. To find that one of my main reasons for purchasing the car is defective, and that VW will not stand behind it's product makes me a one-time buyer. VW: You can still turn this around and do what's right.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-15-2012 09:19 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by tdhart View Post
      Yes, exactly. What if the problem were something like the engine or brakes or whatever? I have lost confidence that VW will stand behind their product. I took a chance buying this vehicle, and one of the reasons I did so, aside from the TDI engine, was that it had all of the Media features I wanted. To find that one of my main reasons for purchasing the car is defective, and that VW will not stand behind it's product makes me a one-time buyer. VW: You can still turn this around and do what's right.
      Bingo! This feature is one of the things I had to have in my first new car purchase (recent graduate). I was so excited to have it, but I noticed on day TWO that the problem existed. I absolutely would not have bought the car had I knew the problem was there on the lot. And then to have VW lie, lie, and deny just made the whole thing worse.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-15-2012 09:33 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by titomb345 View Post
      Bingo! This feature is one of the things I had to have in my first new car purchase (recent graduate). I was so excited to have it, but I noticed on day TWO that the problem existed. I absolutely would not have bought the car had I knew the problem was there on the lot. And then to have VW lie, lie, and deny just made the whole thing worse.
      Congrats on the "recent graduate". I am torn because I have never dealt with a better dealer. Toyota, Dodge, Mazda, Ford. I am awaiting a reply from the regional Rep, and I have forwarded the tech comments as well as my own demands to VW Customer Care in reply to their notification earlier that the case was being "escalated". We'll see. If nothing happens, I will go the certified mail route.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5, 2015 Jetta TDI SE 6 MT
      05-15-2012 10:47 PM #129
      I was also excited about the BT streaming. Couldn't use it for the first couple months because the BT volume on the RCD-510 was set so high and with iOS 5.0.x the BT had no volume control...almost blew out the speakers (and my eardrums). With 5.1, and now volume control, that's when I discovered, and through the forum here, that it wasn't just the volume regulation that was wrong.

The service folks blamed the volume issue on Apple b/c the tech's Android had BT volume control. Someone later posted how to use VCDS to manually set the volume control. The techs don't even know how to progam the electronics in these cars. But someone in Germany/TN must know...they just aren't on the "back end" dealing with us customers.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-15-2012 11:31 PM #130
      Right on Brothers!! i bought the car for the same frikkin reason.. the technology.. iam terribly disappointed with the way VW is addressing this issue. They claimed that its a known issue and working on a fix to me once and the next time i was told the system works to specification. I am starting to get ticked off at this situation.

I am going to see a lawyer and proceed with this.

PS: I absolutely love this car otherwise

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S-Mars Red; 2014 Jetta TDI-Reflex Silver, 2015 Golf R-Lapiz Blue Metallic
      05-16-2012 12:05 AM #131
      I shared the link to this page and posted the following on the VWOA Facebook page. Anyone think I'll get a response, or do you think they'll just delete it?

VWOA, just wondering if you pay any attention to forums like the on I've attached? There is clearly a problem with the Bluetooth function on the RCD-510 (1K0 035 180 AE) that is used in 2012 models. You have the opportunity to stand behind your product on this issue, but people are reporting official responses of "operating as designed". I just purchased a 2012 GLI and I too have this issue, which I will bring to the dealership's attention next time I visit. I live nearly 2 hours away and don't have the convienience of one right down the road. I just hope the official answer changes, before owners of these units get together for a class action suit. Here is the link to another one of the many threads on this issue. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-may-need-mine)!
      It appears to be gaining momentum on the internet, so the time to make it right is now. A response to this post would be great, as I'm really curious how you will handle the issue.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 SS 2.0T (sold), 2008 Volvo XC-90, 2012 Passat SE 2.5, 2015 Jetta TDI SE 6 MT
      05-16-2012 08:17 AM #132
      Am now sitting at the dealer. Was able to demonstrate the issue to the service consultant and the shop foreman. It's particularly telling that it plays through both L and R speakers when the slider is set to R only, and nothing when set to L. Am now waiting on their tech to test and of course to contact VW and figure out what to do.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-16-2012 08:43 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      Am now sitting at the dealer. Was able to demonstrate the issue to the service consultant and the shop foreman. It's particularly telling that it plays through both L and R speakers when the slider is set to R only, and nothing when set to L. Am now waiting on their tech to test and of course to contact VW and figure out what to do.
      Good lUck. Let us know what you find out

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta TDI
      05-16-2012 11:54 AM #134
      I dunno. I demo'ed the problem to mine by pairing a laptop and my iPhone to my car, and also to another car with the RNS-315 unit. He even agreed it was a problem, but still came back with three bogus, contradictory responses.

Oh well, this whole problem goes away in a few hours. Just waiting for the "we're done" call.
      Well, how did the installation go? Did they get it all done? Is everything as you expect?

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 12:53 PM #135
      Update:

1. The service folks verified the single channel performance of my ....AE RCD-510
      2.The service folks called the VW Tech Line, and all claimed that this same behavior happened in all vehicles tested of the same type.
      3. Final results is that VW claims the units are 'working to factory specificatons', but i had my service rep add that they "verified customer complaint" on the service report, so at least it's in writing that they heard that only 1 channel is being streamed.

After the interaction with service, i went and spoke with the sales folks (my salesperson and the sales manager). We tested the BT audio in a demo SE that has the ...AD RCD-510, i.e. the unit Andy has with the mute button where my phone button is. And he was able to see that on the older radio, the streaming was 2 channel, while on my newer radio, it was only 1 channel. We also verified this in an SEL with a RNS-510, namely that the BT streaming was two channel on the RNS-510.

I then called customer service, referencing my case, and I am to hear from either Dolores or Christine (regional case managers...not Nancy S apparently) by tomorrow to follow up with next steps. I explained on the call that surely a newer revision of the radio (AD to AE) would not purposely reduce the BT channel streaming from 2 channels to 1 channel, i.e. from Stereo to single channel.

And i will explain this tomorrow with the regional person...Apparently, VW is claiming that when they went from AD to AE on the RCD-510, they decided to specify the right channel only for BT streaming instead of both left and right channels.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-16-2012 06:30 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by tdhart View Post
      Well, how did the installation go? Did they get it all done? Is everything as you expect?
      LOL! The nightmare continues for me, my friend. I dropped my car off Tuesday morning at 9AM. The dealership said it would be done by end of day. Great! 5:30 PM rolls around and I get a call from the dealership saying they didn't get to finish it today, and that it should be done by 9:30 AM Wednesday (this morning). Fine, whatever, no big deal.

I wake up this morning, and 10AM rolls around.. nothing. I call the dealership, and they tell me they need a few more hours to finish programming the radio. Okay, fine. So, at 11:30AM, the dealership calls and says they ran into errors programming the radio, and are currently waiting on some random guy on the internet to call them back. Apparently this random, anonymous guy knows how to fix this.. what the **** ever. So now they tell me "we have no timetable for completion." My car is literally stuck in purgatory now. What an absolute joke.

I may have to proceed with the lawsuit anyways.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-16-2012 06:31 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      Update:

1. The service folks verified the single channel performance of my ....AE RCD-510
      2.The service folks called the VW Tech Line, and all claimed that this same behavior happened in all vehicles tested of the same type.
      3. Final results is that VW claims the units are 'working to factory specificatons', but i had my service rep add that they "verified customer complaint" on the service report, so at least it's in writing that they heard that only 1 channel is being streamed.

After the interaction with service, i went and spoke with the sales folks (my salesperson and the sales manager). We tested the BT audio in a demo SE that has the ...AD RCD-510, i.e. the unit Andy has with the mute button where my phone button is. And he was able to see that on the older radio, the streaming was 2 channel, while on my newer radio, it was only 1 channel. We also verified this in an SEL with a RNS-510, namely that the BT streaming was two channel on the RNS-510.

I then called customer service, referencing my case, and I am to hear from either Dolores or Christine (regional case managers...not Nancy S apparently) by tomorrow to follow up with next steps. I explained on the call that surely a newer revision of the radio (AD to AE) would not purposely reduce the BT channel streaming from 2 channels to 1 channel, i.e. from Stereo to single channel.

And i will explain this tomorrow with the regional person...Apparently, VW is claiming that when they went from AD to AE on the RCD-510, they decided to specify the right channel only for BT streaming instead of both left and right channels.
      LOL! When I told my case manager something along these lines, her response was simply "yes." Hahaha, what an absolute joke of a company. Never, ever again will I purchase a Volkswagen.

I shoulda saved up for the Beamer.. god damn.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-16-2012 06:32 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_freak7 View Post
      I shared the link to this page and posted the following on the VWOA Facebook page. Anyone think I'll get a response, or do you think they'll just delete it?

VWOA, just wondering if you pay any attention to forums like the on I've attached? There is clearly a problem with the Bluetooth function on the RCD-510 (1K0 035 180 AE) that is used in 2012 models. You have the opportunity to stand behind your product on this issue, but people are reporting official responses of "operating as designed". I just purchased a 2012 GLI and I too have this issue, which I will bring to the dealership's attention next time I visit. I live nearly 2 hours away and don't have the convienience of one right down the road. I just hope the official answer changes, before owners of these units get together for a class action suit. Here is the link to another one of the many threads on this issue. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-may-need-mine)!
      It appears to be gaining momentum on the internet, so the time to make it right is now. A response to this post would be great, as I'm really curious how you will handle the issue.
      Thanks for referencing my post! Unfortunately, I suspect nothing will come of it, as the people that handle the "Social media" end at VW probably have no idea what 'Bluetooth' even is.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      05-16-2012 07:30 PM #139
      So, I called Customer Care (now for the second time) and have an appointment with the dealership (for the third time) on Friday to verify the issue. Fortunately I've got a guy at my dealership I've been working with on foglights, wheels, spoiler, etc, who is cool and has seen the issue.

On the phone, the rep tried to go down the "compatible phone" route and I told him I didn't want to waste their time and my time, so he assigned it to a Regional Case Manager who is supposed to contact the dealership Friday. I don't know why they don't just come up with new software! I'd take the RNS-315 happily, but I'm really just looking for a fix...

I think my case is going to be even harder because I need to convince them to fix both my Passat and my wife's Sportwagen...
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-16-2012 07:43 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by phat7deuce View Post
      So, I called Customer Care (now for the second time) and have an appointment with the dealership (for the third time) on Friday to verify the issue. Fortunately I've got a guy at my dealership I've been working with on foglights, wheels, spoiler, etc, who is cool and has seen the issue.

On the phone, the rep tried to go down the "compatible phone" route and I told him I didn't want to waste their time and my time, so he assigned it to a Regional Case Manager who is supposed to contact the dealership Friday. I don't know why they don't just come up with new software! I'd take the RNS-315 happily, but I'm really just looking for a fix...

I think my case is going to be even harder because I need to convince them to fix both my Passat and my wife's Sportwagen...
      Good luck with the RNS-315! Apparently, VW has no idea how to install an RNS-315 into a car that didn't originally come with the RNS-315. This whole thing has made me despise Volkswagen more than I ever imagined. In a matter of 3 months, I went from VW fanatic who couldn't wait to buy his first VW, to someone who will never, ever associate with the VW brand again.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)
      05-16-2012 08:49 PM #141
      Good luck with the RNS-315! Apparently, VW has no idea how to install an RNS-315 into a car that didn't originally come with the RNS-315. This whole thing has made me despise Volkswagen more than I ever imagined. In a matter of 3 months, I went from VW fanatic who couldn't wait to buy his first VW, to someone who will never, ever associate with the VW brand again.
      I'm not quite there yet...I love this car otherwise (and my wife's Sportwagen is awesome). That said, this is pretty frustrating.
      Current VWs: 2012 VW Passat TDI SE with Sunroof (mine); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (wife's)

Past VWs: 2007 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T; 2001 VW Passat GLX V6; 2000 VW Jetta GLX VR6

17. 05-16-2012 09:47 PM #142
      I just took my TDI JSW in to the dealer today for the courtesy 90-day checkup. I also showed them the bluetooth stereo/mono problem and asked them to try to fix it. (I am having the same issue with my vehicle and also have the RCD-510 system - see my earlier version info post).

Good news: they took me seriously, recognized the problem, and spent all day working on it.

Bad news: they concluded that it is "operating as intended" but that there "is known problems with the iPhone" and that if I want the best experience with an iPhone i should instead "use the MDI port."

So... nothing's changed.

One interesting piece of trivia, the service rep said they were able to get a Samsung (presumably running Android?) to function properly, but I'm skeptical they actually achieved a true stereo signal.

I really do appreciate them trying so hard, but I think this problem is just beyond / out of the hands of the local dealer service.

Has anyone actually found any way to SOLVE this problem? Is it a wiring issue? Is it firmware? Is it phone incompatibility? I feel like if I had a definitive answer then I could just tell them what's wrong and how to fix it (or work some kind of deal).

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S-Mars Red; 2014 Jetta TDI-Reflex Silver, 2015 Golf R-Lapiz Blue Metallic
      05-16-2012 10:19 PM #143
      .....the people that handle the "Social media" end at VW probably have no idea what 'Bluetooth' even is.
      I'm guessing you are correct, but I figured give it a try and see if I got some sort of response. Nothing so far

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-16-2012 10:22 PM #144
      I've been watching this thread and don't be offended but if there isn't a fix yet, if they haven't determined what to fix yet, they can't fix any of your cars. By all means tell them there is a problem so they can get on it, but don't be disappointed to receive the same answer.

The dealer can decide to replace stuff it they like, but if VW is paying for it, they have to follow protocol.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

20. 05-16-2012 11:05 PM #145
      It looks like there may be 2 possible solutions:

1. Fixing the wiring harness to support stereo audio (although there is conflicting information on this)
      2. Updating the 9w7 bluetooth module to version "F"

Both are described here:
      http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...luetooth-Audio

I am also curious if anyone has tried the RNS-510 (navigation) version and determined whether this has the same problem or not?

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 2012 SE w/Sunroof
      05-16-2012 11:06 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by oronymo View Post
      I just took my TDI JSW in to the dealer today for the courtesy 90-day checkup. I also showed them the bluetooth stereo/mono problem and asked them to try to fix it. (I am having the same issue with my vehicle and also have the RCD-510 system - see my earlier version info post).

Good news: they took me seriously, recognized the problem, and spent all day working on it.

Bad news: they concluded that it is "operating as intended" but that there "is known problems with the iPhone" and that if I want the best experience with an iPhone i should instead "use the MDI port."

So... nothing's changed.

One interesting piece of trivia, the service rep said they were able to get a Samsung (presumably running Android?) to function properly, but I'm skeptical they actually achieved a true stereo signal.

I really do appreciate them trying so hard, but I think this problem is just beyond / out of the hands of the local dealer service.

Has anyone actually found any way to SOLVE this problem? Is it a wiring issue? Is it firmware? Is it phone incompatibility? I feel like if I had a definitive answer then I could just tell them what's wrong and how to fix it (or work some kind of deal).

Not sure what they tried. i can vouch the system behaved the same with HTC, Blackberry and a Samsung Galaxy when i tried streaming via BT.

22. 05-16-2012 11:07 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Andy@Ross-Tech.com View Post
      I just did a test with my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and stock RCD-510 (1K0-035-180-AD with Mute button and firmware 0018 ). I played AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" first from an SD card and next from the phone over BT streaming. In both cases, the distinctive opening guitar riff comes through only the left side speaker first before it's joined by other instrumentation. So, mine definitely plays stereo, not mono. This demonstrates the audio separation for your rockin' pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9iOk8PqkKs
      Do you know what the differences between the AD and AE units are (other than just the mute button)?

Also, do you know which bluetooth module you have? (9w7 or 9w3)?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:18 AM #148
      It looks like there may be 2 possible solutions:

1. Fixing the wiring harness to support stereo audio (although there is conflicting information on this)
      2. Updating the 9w7 bluetooth module to version "F"

Both are described here:
      http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...luetooth-Audio

I am also curious if anyone has tried the RNS-510 (navigation) version and determined whether this has the same problem or not?
      This is not the case. The problem with the RCD-510 is the software or firmware. It is not a wiring issue. I have confirmed that this issue is not present on the RNS-315, but not yet the RNS-510, but I hear rumblings that it isn't.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:20 AM #149
      The Volkswagen Santa Monica dealership has now had my 2012 Jetta for 48 hours. They have installed the stereo, but can't correctly program it to my car. This is a joke! Everything I have read about the radio says it's plug-and-play, after you enter the code provided by VW. How could it take 48+ hours to install a headunit?

I looked the dealership up on Yelp, and have decided this is the last time I bring my car there. Reading the reviews was like reading a horror story.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE C&S
      05-17-2012 03:25 AM #150

So... nothing's changed.

They completely lied to you. They did NOT get a phone to work correctly with the headunit, unless the device was set to MONO, in which case the problem was simply masked by the phone's OS.

And I got the same bit about the MDI port. What a load of crap! I pay $9.99 a month for Spotify, and guess what doesn't work through the MDI port?! Neither does Pandora, Youtube, or any other app that plays music. Not to mention, I use my phone as a GPS, and that is physically impossible to do with my phone plugged into the MDI port in the glovebox. And what if I buy a Droid?! Then what do I do? Use the auxiliary plug? Then I lose the ability to control the tracks, and the spiffy steering wheel I paid for with it's built in stereo controls becomes worthless.

What a joke. We paid for a feature, it doesn't work, and VW is seemingly (for most people) refusing to fix the issue.

This smells like a class-action waiting to happen. And to think, Volkswagen JUST settled a class-action lawsuit in JANUARY from the 2010 lineup. You want to know what they got sued over?? THE BLUETOOTH MODULE! How ironic is that?!

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast