I'll drive

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      03-04-2012 11:55 AM #77
      ugly car is ugly
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTi / 2001 Wolfsburg / 04 Jetta GLi / 2014 Passat TDi (NOW)
      03-04-2012 01:58 PM #78
      enjoying this thread, keep it up!

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-05-2012 11:38 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      ugly car is ugly
      don't even get me started about that hatch of yours

Just completed the outer CV joint DIY photos. i should have it up late this evening.
      MotorsportsbyReeves__The SteveGangBang 11.21__TheHazeBang_2012_TheGreatCatTakeover2012_

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta TDI/ 2004.5 Jetta GLI/ 2013 Routan
      03-06-2012 09:07 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Billburt View Post

Just completed the outer CV joint DIY photos. i should have it up late this evening.
      post em up deutschbag!!

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-06-2012 10:32 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by oldskool1963vw View Post
      post em up deutschbag!!
      Posting up tonight. Ran out of time last night

Sent from my TI 83 plus silver edition using tapatalk.
      MotorsportsbyReeves__The SteveGangBang 11.21__TheHazeBang_2012_TheGreatCatTakeover2012_

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-07-2012 02:57 AM #82
      DIY 6 SPEED OUTER CV JOINT replace

OK here we go again. This DIY is a simple one but pretty important. My outer passenger side CV boot ripped a few months ago and I noticed this because grease was slinging all over the wheel and wheel well. If this happens to you don't freak out because most people can drive with a ripped boot for thousands of more miles. I personally managed to get about 5 thousand miles after mine ripped, but some can get 10k on a ripped boot. the reason I knew it was time to replace it is because I started hearing a rotational clicking noise from that wheel well. I got the kit from Urotuning (HERE). Now some say to just replace the boot but I disagree because it's likely that dirt has gotten into the grease and will now slowly ruin the joint itself (like it did to mine), however, if you have caught that your boot is ripped right away it is possible for you to get away with just replacing the boot.

I, as usual must start this DIY by giving thanks to those who helped me with it. Most of the work was done by my cousin Al, and was aided by my brother Brian as well as Christian P.

first start by breaking the lug bolts loose on the wheel and then jack the car up and take the wheel off. Always make sure to use a jack stand and have your e-brake pulled before starting to work under the car. you can never trust a jack. Once the wheel is off you can start to remove the axle. You will need the proper size triple square to take the bolts off and the job is much easier if you have someone rotating the axle to access all the bolts.

triple square

Remove all the bolts.

I used two of my wheel bolts to rotate the axle as my cousin unbolted the triple square bolts.

The next thing to do is to grab a silver marker or something to mark the bottom of the control arm with, and move on to the three bolts under the brake at the end of the control arm. You will want to mark the positions that they are in (as pictured). this won't be perfect but it will help reduce the need for an immediate alignment after the job is done.

you will then want to break the axle nut loose which I sprayed PB Blaster on an hr prior to its removal. My cousin pulled on the breaker bar and I held the brakes down in order to brake the axle nut loose. It took a great amount of force to pull this one off.

Now that all the bolts are off you can pull on the rotor while pushing the axle inward toward the transmission and you should be able to pull the axle out.

break off the smaller clamp of the two holing the boot onto the joint. You will not need to take off the larger one because it will be removed with the old joint. then take a knife and cut the boot off. it is then recommended to use a rubber mallet to tap the CV joint off but i did not have one available so i just used a hammer which did just fine.

you will then want to slide the new boot down onto the axle and apply the new hardware and grease to the new CV joint. put as much grease inside the knuckle as you possibly can and place the remainder of it inside the boot. the tap the new CV onto the axle (in order to put the new retaining clip into it's place we had to bend it tighter in a vice grip). once that is on you can put the new clamps on. The ones supplied in the kit require a "special vw tool" but we found a way to clamp them down pretty easily. We used a set of pliers to get them slightly tightened to hold in place the propped a screw driver against something and on one side of the clamp and then used a punch and hammer on the other side to pinch the clamp together. We used this process for both clamps. once this was done we put the axle back in and and put all the bolts back on. below I have shown a page on my bentley manual to give you the proper torque pattern to tighten down the axle nut properly. you will see that we used the spare tire to go through this process without having to worry about scratching the snowflake. make sure you follow those steps carefully and get the torque wrench down to the proper specs for the axle nut as well as all the other bolts. once completed you will want to put the wheel back on and test drive it. i noticed that in the first two miles there was a slight noise that came from that side but quickly went away after the grease moved around properly inside the boot. Make sure to note in your service manual and properly document when and at what mileage you changed the joint.

As usual, feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions about this process. I would be more than happy to help.
      Last edited by Billburt; 06-21-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-07-2012 11:19 AM #83
      Toe shims and SAI delete kit coming soon

Sent from my TI 83 plus silver edition using tapatalk.

Vehicles
      .:R
      03-07-2012 11:47 AM #84
      SAI delete kit coming soon
      damn they make a kit for this now? who!?

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-07-2012 01:04 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by jimothy cricket View Post
      damn they make a kit for this now? who!?
      we are making one right now from Urotuning with all kinds of options. My car will be the test dummy...it's kind of the shop car.

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 01:41 PM #86
      Hatch? i drive a tiguan bro

Vehicles
      .:R
      03-07-2012 02:05 PM #87
      we are making one right now from Urotuning with all kinds of options. My car will be the test dummy...it's kind of the shop car.
      sweet! I deleted mine, but the 330 resistors didn't do their job, my check engine light is on…….

Vehicles
      2005 1.8t GLI+ // V8 Touareg T1
      03-07-2012 02:16 PM #88
      Nice! Axle work is so messy. You have a really nice garage man
      #FlossFilthy
      #Cliqve
      #Joosey
      ig: @zachca

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-07-2012 05:12 PM #89
      Hatch? i drive a tiguan bro
      is that code for a stock height golf R?

Quote Originally Posted by jimothy cricket View Post
      sweet! I deleted mine, but the 330 resistors didn't do their job, my check engine light is on…….
      Call up gonzo tuning. he fixed that for me real quick

Quote Originally Posted by Zach! View Post
      Nice! Axle work is so messy. You have a really nice garage man
      thanks man. I love the garage. I practically live in there.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta TDI/ 2004.5 Jetta GLI/ 2013 Routan
      03-07-2012 08:31 PM #90
      DIY 6 SPEED OUTER CV JOINT replace

I, as usual must start this DIY by giving thanks to those who helped me with it. Most of the work was done by my cousin Al, and was aided by my brother Brian as well as Christian P.
      I LOLd at this you jacka$$!!

couple of things to add.
      1. The triple square shown in the pictures is like 6" long. If you can find a 4" triple square it will make things a little easier.
      2. The pic of me loosening the axel nut while the car is on a jack stand.....yeah, don't do that. Have the car sitting on the ground when you do that. That was a brain fart on my part.
      3. When you are trying the slide the new boot over the end of the axel it helps if you put a little grease on the inside lip of the boot (small end). Just makes it easier to get the boot all the way on.

also, I did this on an R32 a while ago. Here is the link. Its not a proper DIY but the banter back an forth has some good info....
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...V-joint-HELP!!

good write up Will

Vehicles
      2003 24v Vr6 GTI
      03-07-2012 09:01 PM #91

Action shot

I wish I had open reign on a garage. I assume I would always be inside, working on anything anytime. Because I can.

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      03-08-2012 06:52 AM #92
      Looks like a little bit more than the 150 lbs torque spec (or somewhere around there).
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-08-2012 11:54 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      Looks like a little bit more than the 150 lbs torque spec (or somewhere around there).
      are you talking about when we had to break it loose for the first time? yea that sucked. we torqued the new one back on by the books setting.

Vehicles
      03 GTI
      03-08-2012 12:04 PM #94
      Awesome thread! Great detailed DIY's man, sub'd for later use.
      Aka: Jack DeCarrup.

Instagram: joshr_gti

Vehicles
      03-08-2012 12:31 PM #95
      is that code for a stock height golf R?
      have you seen the stock wheel gap? i could take it offroad and pitch a tent in that space.

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-08-2012 01:08 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack DeCarrup View Post
      Awesome thread! Great detailed DIY's man, sub'd for later use.
      thanks man. I hope it helps someday!

have you seen the stock wheel gap? i could take it offroad and pitch a tent in that space.
      how far down on the list are bags?

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      03-08-2012 01:11 PM #97
      are you talking about when we had to break it loose for the first time? yea that sucked. we torqued the new one back on by the books setting.
      haha. Didn't even pay attention to which way he was moving the nut.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating

Vehicles
      03-08-2012 02:36 PM #98
      thanks man. I hope it helps someday!

how far down on the list are bags?
      top of the list. waiting on the rear bagyards to come in. They say soon, but as with all things bagyard im having a tough time believing that. they also said soon 3 months ago, starting to get under my skin. Once the bags come in and i get the car back from 42, hopefully that will be next weekend, The bag install will get started. should be bagged by april if everything goes according to plan. so the plan basically rests on when the bagyards come in and that makes me a sadddd panda

Vehicles
      Its a ninefoot car.
      03-08-2012 03:06 PM #99
      Awesome thread, if you decide to do motor mount spacers, or front wheel bearing replacement I will definitely be tuned in. I have this homeade tool that some one let me borrow to pull the hub and bearing.. but cant quite figure out the best method. I went by Faelin GL's diy for reference but it doesnt fully cover how to remove the hub and bearing + pressing them back in. Anyways.. Car looks great!
      Instagram: @NINEFOOTERS

Vehicles
      996 Turbo
      03-08-2012 04:23 PM #100
      top of the list. waiting on the rear bagyards to come in. They say soon, but as with all things bagyard im having a tough time believing that. they also said soon 3 months ago, starting to get under my skin. Once the bags come in and i get the car back from 42, hopefully that will be next weekend, The bag install will get started. should be bagged by april if everything goes according to plan. so the plan basically rests on when the bagyards come in and that makes me a sadddd panda
      damn man, hopefully they get their asses in gear soon. I wanna see some coverage of the install

Quote Originally Posted by dubluv2003 View Post
      Awesome thread, if you decide to do motor mount spacers, or front wheel bearing replacement I will definitely be tuned in. I have this homeade tool that some one let me borrow to pull the hub and bearing.. but cant quite figure out the best method. I went by Faelin GL's diy for reference but it doesnt fully cover how to remove the hub and bearing + pressing them back in. Anyways.. Car looks great!
      Not planning on doing the spacers any time soon but I know some friends that want to do it so I will cover that when we do them.

Also, as far as the bearings go, I'm taking the spindles to napa today and having them pressed out so the spindles can be sand blasted. Then I will have them pressed back in. hopefully they will let me go back and snap some shots of the process.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast