Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The story of MDAce15's B6 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      04-09-2012 05:25 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by passat3.6 View Post
      Very interesting build up, I didn't realize these wagons were quite so rare in the 3.6 4MO. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago at a local Ford dealership where it had been sitting for a couple of months and getting marked down the whole time.

Last week I took it to Florida and the alternator died (70K miles). Got around 25-26 mpg for the trip.

I probably won't mod mine very much but it's fun to see what others are doing!
      Congrats on the new VW. I love this car. You say you won't mod it but "the bug" will get to you eventually. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
      Nice work you've been doing on your wagon...nice to see other 4mo VR6 wagons getting the mods, as they are quite rare.

I just traded my 2007 VR6 4mo wagon last week, and picked up a new '13 CC VR6 4motion Exec...I'll miss the wagon utility, but keep the VR6 4mo drivetrain which I love.

My wagon wasn't as highly modded as yours, custom-wise, but I did add Audi exhaust tips, the Euro-issue chrome roof rails, chrome mirror caps, red-painted calipers, and tint. And I had an oddball combo on mine, with the Lux interior package upper wood trim but the sport package aluminum center stack, and the lux seats but the sport springs.

My wagon's now in the used-car lot over at my local dealership (Gunther Coconut Creek, in FL), waiting for its next owner!

I love those A6 rims, BTW - for what it's worth. I always liked them from the first time I saw them, and would probably lean towards those myself on your wagon. But both choices look good.
      It sounds like you did a solid amount of work to the wagon yourself. Wish I had known you were selling it. I wouldve taken some of those parts off your hands. Ooooooh! '13 CC 4Mo... If you miss the wagon that much, we could trade. Just kidding. I think for me, every car from here on will be a wagon. I enjoy the "sleeper factor". No one expects a wagon to be this quick. Thanks for the post. Enjoy that CC!

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      04-09-2012 05:29 PM #27
      Been waiting on the Microphone with modified harness for the RNS-315 from OEMPlus for over a month. I was so excited to install it, to be able to finally use the Voice control and Bluetooth. It finally arrived and guess what?!... I open the box and there's NO MICROPHONE! Just the harness. Waiting on them to call me back. SMH...

3. 04-09-2012 08:37 PM #28
      I modded my Allroad a bit: lowered, tinted, APR tune.... Just not too much.

A couple of things I noticed about mine so far that I don't know how picky I should be......#1. There seems to be a significant amount of wind noise around the drivers side rear window at highway speeds.
      #2. The AC doesn't blow cold air until the car has warmed up to full operating temperature. Then blows very cold.

Any ideas about these "issues"?
      2001 Allroad 2.7TT Silver
      2005 Phaeton 4.2 Black
      2007 Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion
      I have a thing for German motors apparently

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      04-09-2012 10:54 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by passat3.6 View Post
      I modded my Allroad a bit: lowered, tinted, APR tune.... Just not too much.

A couple of things I noticed about mine so far that I don't know how picky I should be......#1. There seems to be a significant amount of wind noise around the drivers side rear window at highway speeds.
      #2. The AC doesn't blow cold air until the car has warmed up to full operating temperature. Then blows very cold.

Any ideas about these "issues"?
      1. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the window isn't closing all the way. There have been times after I did various mods where I disconnected the battery and the window limits had to be recaliberated because the windows had just the slightest gap when they seemed closed. I think you do it by opening the window all the way and holding the switch for one or two seconds more, even after its all the way open, and then doing the same thing after its closed. May not be what you're experiencing but worth a shot.

2. As far as the AC, I have the climatronic and I keep mine at 70-72 all year long, so I only notice my AC when it's above like 80-85 outside. So I can't say for sure if that's normal or not.

Hope this helps...

Vehicles
      former owner/2008/VW/Passat Sport/ VR6
      04-10-2012 01:49 PM #30
      Hey great thread and great car... I am curious. As the owner of a 2008 VR6 sedan, I am curious if you car came with the HID/AFS headlights or not and if so what made you want to dump those for the cheaper lights just to have LED's, when the AFS has the HIDs.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Audi style heads with DRL's but the wonderful light dance I get everysingle time I start my car draws far more interest than I would think LED's would, but again this is personal preference and I commend you on a great car.
      life's biggest regret: selling my '08 VR6 Passat with Hi-Def so my wife could get a GLK, Stupid, is a stupid does!!

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      04-10-2012 02:40 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JBCon View Post
      Hey great thread and great car... I am curious. As the owner of a 2008 VR6 sedan, I am curious if you car came with the HID/AFS headlights or not and if so what made you want to dump those for the cheaper lights just to have LED's, when the AFS has the HIDs.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Audi style heads with DRL's but the wonderful light dance I get everysingle time I start my car draws far more interest than I would think LED's would, but again this is personal preference and I commend you on a great car.
      Thanks man. My car didn't come with the AFS headlights... I really like these headlights but there is no way in the world I would trade the AFS headlights for these. Actually if you had the AFS headlights these headlights weren't compatible. Everything about those AFS headlights is sexy! My car didn't come with the AFS headlights. Mine came with the regular projectors. I would have loved to swap them for the AFS heads but the cost to do that swap (so I've read) is in the range of $1200-$1500 for all the necessary modules, parts and harnesses. So while I am disappointed I don't have the AFS headlights, the look of these LEDs on, with my HID fogs as it's just starting to get dark is really nice. So these will do... For now... Thanks for the post.
      Last edited by MDAce15; 04-21-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      04-11-2012 11:07 PM #32
      Ever since I made my Center Caps blue, everytime I go out to my car, my calipers yell at me. So today I had some spare time so I decided to paint them. A while back (right when I got the car) I painted the calipers black. I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel because I felt it would dry with a glossier finish and because it's an enamel I figured it would dry harder. The Dupli-Color engine enamel comes in 2 shades of blue, a sky blue and a darker (than royal but not quite navy) blue. I wanted a nice royal blue color as close to the VW logo as possible. I didn't want the calipers to be loud but I did want them to be noticeable. So I sprayed the calipers with the sky blue as a base coat then sprayed 2 coats of the darker blue over it. I finished it off with 2 or 3 generous coats of the clear engine enamel (great stuff) and I ended up with the exact color I wanted. I can't wait to get my RS3 reps to finish it off. These calipers deserve a nice open wheel. What do you guys think?

During:

Finished Product:

Last edited by MDAce15; 04-11-2012 at 11:10 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Executive VR6 4Motion
      04-12-2012 09:21 AM #33
      I like it. I went with blue calipers back on my 2000 GLX - it was Satin Silver, and I had a set of PIAA blue foglights, and replaced the headlight and side marker lights with blue tinted bulbs as well, so I had a reason to match the blue calipers. I loved the way it looked. I had used Foliatec caliper paint, which was very thick and glossy - the color was pretty close to that blue you ended up with.

I've done red calipers on my last 2 cars and probably the CC I've got now, because I don't have any other blue anywhere on the outside - I get this 'ocd' type feeling like the calipers need to match something else on the exterior, so red at least matches the taillights.

For yours, you've got your other blue touches, so it works nicely.
      _____
      Justin

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-08-2012 12:22 AM #34
      Thanks. I feel the same way about the calipers having to match something or to at least be a color that compliments the color of the car. I think blue and grey go pretty well together. I always like seeing other cars with their calipers painted. It's one of those things true car enthusiasts can appreciate.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-13-2012 02:48 AM #35
      Oooooh! Look what came in the mail today...

It's the dash trim from an '09, that I'm going to need when I upgrade to the R-Line cluster with the Color MFD. I've seen them selling for upwards of $150 but I scored this off eBay for $35. Now I just have to wrap it with the 3M Brushed Titanium to match the other "upper" trim portion of my dash.

If you notice it has 2 blue LEDs built into it. I'm not sure what the previous owner used them for but one day I'll attempt to link them to the anti-theft system LED that blinks on the doors. I think it'll be kinda cool to have them all flash together.

About 3 months ago I also ordered this adapter harness which will make the Cluster swap MUCH easier.

So the only part left to purchase is the actual cluster. And I'll be ordering that hopefully in the next day or so. Very excited!
      Last edited by MDAce15; 05-13-2012 at 02:54 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      05-13-2012 10:28 AM #36
      Your wagon looks awesome! Mine is bone stock, but I plan to tune it soon. I may lower it when I replace the shocks/struts. Other than that , mine is sadly gonna stay untouched. We're modding our house...lol

12. 05-14-2012 11:46 AM #37
      Please let us know how to do the cluter swap....wanting to do mine also

Vehicles
      His: 8V A3 Hers: '10 CC Sport 6MT + '03 GTI 1.8T/5MT
      05-14-2012 01:04 PM #38
      nice wagon

I enjoyed reading the story in post #1 as it reminded me a lot of my purchase/experience. and nice tips. My 3.5's look similar and I was scared to do 4" ones, but they don't look too obnoxious, which is a good thing

-Dev

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos
      05-14-2012 05:43 PM #39
      Nice wagon...Ive got the same color! I was gonna paint my calipers red, like I usually do but good to see other colors...hmmm I may go blue now! LOL! I usually paint mine with Rust-o-leum paint in a can...its like $10 bucks from "Dirt-Mart" and its SUPER durable and glossy.
      **UPDATED! NOW 14 VW's since 1996...Yeah, I have a problem! **
      Detroit Lions #1 Fan in Arizona

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-14-2012 11:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      Your wagon looks awesome! Mine is bone stock, but I plan to tune it soon. I may lower it when I replace the shocks/struts. Other than that , mine is sadly gonna stay untouched. We're modding our house...lol
      Thanks for the compliment. Hey there's nothing wrong with having your priorities in order... Though it can be annoying at times. Maybe look into doing the less expensive and DIY mods (like wrapping your interior trim, changing the front turn signals, painting calipers), you know the little things that make your car "yours".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken21 View Post
      Please let us know how to do the cluter swap....wanting to do mine also
      Definitely planning to do a DIY thread for the cluster swap. I ordered my cluster yesterday and as soon as it gets here I'm installing it. I don't care WHAT time it is. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      nice wagon

I enjoyed reading the story in post #1 as it reminded me a lot of my purchase/experience. and nice tips. My 3.5's look similar and I was scared to do 4" ones, but they don't look too obnoxious, which is a good thing

-Dev
      Thanks. The whole purchase experience was a good one, and one that all future experiences will be compared to. I was also going to do the 3.5" tips but I saw someone else (thekmish) had done the 4" and I like the way it filled the gap. I think once I remove the center suitcase, the sound and look of the exhaust will go together nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by darin45 View Post
      Nice wagon...Ive got the same color! I was gonna paint my calipers red, like I usually do but good to see other colors...hmmm I may go blue now! LOL! I usually paint mine with Rust-o-leum paint in a can...its like $10 bucks from "Dirt-Mart" and its SUPER durable and glossy.
      Thanks, gotta love the United Grey. The United Grey with the Blue calipers and center caps just looks right to me. I feel like its how it should have been from the factory (well, at least the blue center caps... a la BMW). I used the Black Engine Enamel on my last car to paint the rear drums, and when I first got this car I used what was left over to cover up the "rusty looking" rotor hubs and calipers. And over the 2 years I've had the car the paint hadn't faded or lost any gloss! So I figured if it ain't broke...

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-15-2012 05:21 PM #41
      I ordered it from Car-Systems.pl on Sunday (5/13/2012) at around 10am and it arrived today (5/15/2012) around 10am. So that's 48 hours from ordering to my front door... and it came from POLAND! That's service! It came VERY well packaged. I installed it shortly after it arrived. It took about about an hour and that was with taking photos and with it raining pretty substantially the whole time, requiring me to do most of the work with car door closed. The DIY is in the works. I promise you this is one of the easiest mods to do. Here's the outcome. As I said DIY Thread coming soon.

Media Screen

Door/Trunk/Hood Ajar Screen

MFD Trip Info Screen

Nav Screen (My main reason for doing this mod)

This screen is important to me because before when using Nav, the distance to the next event (turn, merge, veer right/left) doesn't stay on screen. It only showed up as I got within 2 miles of the next event. For example, say I merge onto a highway and I need to exit in 10 miles, the nav screen won't show anything until I'm 2 miles or less from the exit. Some may say "So?", but I try to think ahead as I'm driving as opposed to having to force my way over at the last minute, plus it's just nice to have an idea how long you'll need to be on a road when you first get on it. But now with this new cluster the info stays on screen the whole time as you can see in the last pic. To the left is total distance to destination. The center is the distance to next event. And to the right is the Estimated Time of Arrival.

Anyway, more pics and info to come.
      Last edited by MDAce15; 06-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-15-2012 05:26 PM #42
      i want that cluster. How much did that cost and how hard was it to put in?

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-15-2012 05:32 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by nodashi View Post
      i want that cluster. How much did that cost and how hard was it to put in?
      It's pricey. About $410 shipped. I had been setting money aside a little at a time for quite a while so I didn't mind. Installation was extremely easy in my opinion.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 3.6 VR6 4mo wagon
      05-16-2012 11:47 AM #44
      In your first post you mention that there are 49 3.6 4mo wagons in the country. Is that for just the 2007 model year or for the entire B6 model year range? Also, how or where did you find this information? Thanks.

Vehicles
      His: 8V A3 Hers: '10 CC Sport 6MT + '03 GTI 1.8T/5MT
      05-16-2012 01:24 PM #45
      i think he meant at the time he was buying, available at used car lots via some sort of internet search database (cars.com, etc)

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-16-2012 04:55 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by fife78 View Post
      In your first post you mention that there are 49 3.6 4mo wagons in the country. Is that for just the 2007 model year or for the entire B6 model year range? Also, how or where did you find this information? Thanks.
      Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      i think he meant at the time he was buying, available at used car lots via some sort of internet search database (cars.com, etc)
      Yes exactly. When I first started searching for 3.6 4Motion Wagon between Cars.com and AutoTrader.com there were only 49 listed (and some of those were duplicates), but that was 2 years ago. So I'm not sure if there are more or less available now. I would guess less with car accidents and car failures, just a guess though.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-17-2012 12:30 AM #47
      I ordered these R Door Sills about 2 weeks ago and they came today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-sill-sc...58c48c&vxp=mtr

First impressions are they are VERY well made (from actual stainless steel) and come with high quality 3M adhesive pre-installed. They seem to be laser etched. I think they look great, especially for 30 bucks. Sorry for the terrible pic below, I'll take more and better pics tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think...

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-17-2012 12:41 AM #48
      After seeing this setup for the first time at night, I've decided that I will keep my climatronic as is. For a while I was considering upgrading to the 2012 B7 / 2013 CC climatronic because I just don't like the look of the 2009-2011 climatronic (just my preference). But I REALLY like the look of the blue needles on the cluster and the blue of the climatronic screen working together to pull the dash lighting all together. I'm finally completely satisfied with my interior.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 3.6 VR6 4mo wagon
      05-18-2012 01:43 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MDAce15 View Post
      Yes exactly. When I first started searching for 3.6 4Motion Wagon between Cars.com and AutoTrader.com there were only 49 listed (and some of those were duplicates), but that was 2 years ago. So I'm not sure if there are more or less available now. I would guess less with car accidents and car failures, just a guess though.
      Thanks. I'm looking for an '08 4mo wagon. There's only 9 available right now on Auto Trader.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-18-2012 06:30 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by fife78 View Post
      Thanks. I'm looking for an '08 4mo wagon. There's only 9 available right now on Auto Trader.
      Here's another idea... It might sound crazy at first but stay with me. Check eBay... A lot of car dealerships post their inventory online if they have any trouble moving it. If you see one, look at all the photos and sometimes they will even have the VIN or the CarFax posted right there. After you've gotten as much info as you can, contact the dealership directly and go see the car. You would still purchase the car the traditional way, but it will give you one additional search option... A big one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast