Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The story of MDAce15's B6 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      05-13-2012 10:28 AM #36
      Your wagon looks awesome! Mine is bone stock, but I plan to tune it soon. I may lower it when I replace the shocks/struts. Other than that , mine is sadly gonna stay untouched. We're modding our house...lol

2. 05-14-2012 11:46 AM #37
      Please let us know how to do the cluter swap....wanting to do mine also

Vehicles
      '08 B6 3.6 4mo Wagon
      05-14-2012 01:04 PM #38
      nice wagon

I enjoyed reading the story in post #1 as it reminded me a lot of my purchase/experience. and nice tips. My 3.5's look similar and I was scared to do 4" ones, but they don't look too obnoxious, which is a good thing

-Dev
      -Devin :: Bt/shaved bay Jetta, never running:: PART OUT THREAD
      :: B6 3.6 4MO Passat Wagon ::
      OEM PASSAT Wheels FS (Set of 5)

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos
      05-14-2012 05:43 PM #39
      Nice wagon...Ive got the same color! I was gonna paint my calipers red, like I usually do but good to see other colors...hmmm I may go blue now! LOL! I usually paint mine with Rust-o-leum paint in a can...its like $10 bucks from "Dirt-Mart" and its SUPER durable and glossy.
      **UPDATED! NOW 14 VW's since 1996...Yeah, I have a problem! **
      Detroit Lions #1 Fan in Arizona

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-14-2012 11:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      Your wagon looks awesome! Mine is bone stock, but I plan to tune it soon. I may lower it when I replace the shocks/struts. Other than that , mine is sadly gonna stay untouched. We're modding our house...lol
      Thanks for the compliment. Hey there's nothing wrong with having your priorities in order... Though it can be annoying at times. Maybe look into doing the less expensive and DIY mods (like wrapping your interior trim, changing the front turn signals, painting calipers), you know the little things that make your car "yours".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken21 View Post
      Please let us know how to do the cluter swap....wanting to do mine also
      Definitely planning to do a DIY thread for the cluster swap. I ordered my cluster yesterday and as soon as it gets here I'm installing it. I don't care WHAT time it is. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      nice wagon

I enjoyed reading the story in post #1 as it reminded me a lot of my purchase/experience. and nice tips. My 3.5's look similar and I was scared to do 4" ones, but they don't look too obnoxious, which is a good thing

-Dev
      Thanks. The whole purchase experience was a good one, and one that all future experiences will be compared to. I was also going to do the 3.5" tips but I saw someone else (thekmish) had done the 4" and I like the way it filled the gap. I think once I remove the center suitcase, the sound and look of the exhaust will go together nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by darin45 View Post
      Nice wagon...Ive got the same color! I was gonna paint my calipers red, like I usually do but good to see other colors...hmmm I may go blue now! LOL! I usually paint mine with Rust-o-leum paint in a can...its like $10 bucks from "Dirt-Mart" and its SUPER durable and glossy.
      Thanks, gotta love the United Grey. The United Grey with the Blue calipers and center caps just looks right to me. I feel like its how it should have been from the factory (well, at least the blue center caps... a la BMW). I used the Black Engine Enamel on my last car to paint the rear drums, and when I first got this car I used what was left over to cover up the "rusty looking" rotor hubs and calipers. And over the 2 years I've had the car the paint hadn't faded or lost any gloss! So I figured if it ain't broke...

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-15-2012 05:21 PM #41
      I ordered it from Car-Systems.pl on Sunday (5/13/2012) at around 10am and it arrived today (5/15/2012) around 10am. So that's 48 hours from ordering to my front door... and it came from POLAND! That's service! It came VERY well packaged. I installed it shortly after it arrived. It took about about an hour and that was with taking photos and with it raining pretty substantially the whole time, requiring me to do most of the work with car door closed. The DIY is in the works. I promise you this is one of the easiest mods to do. Here's the outcome. As I said DIY Thread coming soon.

Media Screen

Door/Trunk/Hood Ajar Screen

MFD Trip Info Screen

Nav Screen (My main reason for doing this mod)

This screen is important to me because before when using Nav, the distance to the next event (turn, merge, veer right/left) doesn't stay on screen. It only showed up as I got within 2 miles of the next event. For example, say I merge onto a highway and I need to exit in 10 miles, the nav screen won't show anything until I'm 2 miles or less from the exit. Some may say "So?", but I try to think ahead as I'm driving as opposed to having to force my way over at the last minute, plus it's just nice to have an idea how long you'll need to be on a road when you first get on it. But now with this new cluster the info stays on screen the whole time as you can see in the last pic. To the left is total distance to destination. The center is the distance to next event. And to the right is the Estimated Time of Arrival.

Anyway, more pics and info to come.
      Last edited by MDAce15; 06-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-15-2012 05:26 PM #42
      i want that cluster. How much did that cost and how hard was it to put in?

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-15-2012 05:32 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by nodashi View Post
      i want that cluster. How much did that cost and how hard was it to put in?
      It's pricey. About $410 shipped. I had been setting money aside a little at a time for quite a while so I didn't mind. Installation was extremely easy in my opinion.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 3.6 4mo wagon
      05-16-2012 11:47 AM #44
      In your first post you mention that there are 49 3.6 4mo wagons in the country. Is that for just the 2007 model year or for the entire B6 model year range? Also, how or where did you find this information? Thanks.

Vehicles
      '08 B6 3.6 4mo Wagon
      05-16-2012 01:24 PM #45
      i think he meant at the time he was buying, available at used car lots via some sort of internet search database (cars.com, etc)
      -Devin :: Bt/shaved bay Jetta, never running:: PART OUT THREAD
      :: B6 3.6 4MO Passat Wagon ::
      OEM PASSAT Wheels FS (Set of 5)

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-16-2012 04:55 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by fife78 View Post
      In your first post you mention that there are 49 3.6 4mo wagons in the country. Is that for just the 2007 model year or for the entire B6 model year range? Also, how or where did you find this information? Thanks.
      Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      i think he meant at the time he was buying, available at used car lots via some sort of internet search database (cars.com, etc)
      Yes exactly. When I first started searching for 3.6 4Motion Wagon between Cars.com and AutoTrader.com there were only 49 listed (and some of those were duplicates), but that was 2 years ago. So I'm not sure if there are more or less available now. I would guess less with car accidents and car failures, just a guess though.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-17-2012 12:30 AM #47
      I ordered these R Door Sills about 2 weeks ago and they came today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-sill-sc...58c48c&vxp=mtr

First impressions are they are VERY well made (from actual stainless steel) and come with high quality 3M adhesive pre-installed. They seem to be laser etched. I think they look great, especially for 30 bucks. Sorry for the terrible pic below, I'll take more and better pics tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think...

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-17-2012 12:41 AM #48
      After seeing this setup for the first time at night, I've decided that I will keep my climatronic as is. For a while I was considering upgrading to the 2012 B7 / 2013 CC climatronic because I just don't like the look of the 2009-2011 climatronic (just my preference). But I REALLY like the look of the blue needles on the cluster and the blue of the climatronic screen working together to pull the dash lighting all together. I'm finally completely satisfied with my interior.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 3.6 4mo wagon
      05-18-2012 01:43 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MDAce15 View Post
      Yes exactly. When I first started searching for 3.6 4Motion Wagon between Cars.com and AutoTrader.com there were only 49 listed (and some of those were duplicates), but that was 2 years ago. So I'm not sure if there are more or less available now. I would guess less with car accidents and car failures, just a guess though.
      Thanks. I'm looking for an '08 4mo wagon. There's only 9 available right now on Auto Trader.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      05-18-2012 06:30 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by fife78 View Post
      Thanks. I'm looking for an '08 4mo wagon. There's only 9 available right now on Auto Trader.
      Here's another idea... It might sound crazy at first but stay with me. Check eBay... A lot of car dealerships post their inventory online if they have any trouble moving it. If you see one, look at all the photos and sometimes they will even have the VIN or the CarFax posted right there. After you've gotten as much info as you can, contact the dealership directly and go see the car. You would still purchase the car the traditional way, but it will give you one additional search option... A big one.

16. 05-19-2012 09:27 AM #51
      the selection available right now is the best its been. I looked for close to a month before jumping on a really great deal on a cpo 08' w/ 50k miles. If you can snag a certified car with 40k miles for close to 20 you got a good deal.

17. 05-20-2012 06:55 PM #52
      How's the cluster swap DIY coming along ?? Ordered the cluster and canbus gateway already.

Did you replace your gateway ??

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Passat 2.0 TSI
      06-10-2012 10:01 PM #53
      MDAce15:

When you did the cluster swap (I am personally coming from a white dot matrix), how did you code the original mileage? I would like to upgrade to the full color one.

I believe that Car-systems sells the clusters unlocked with 0 miles? Do the original miles immediately return? I remember an old MKV Jetta thread in which Maloosheck was forced to buy some Chinese programing tool, etc...

19. 06-11-2012 10:24 PM #54
      Love what you've done to your interior!

Subscribing to see the DIY thread for the gauge cluster swap... would love to do that someday, and I'll have my Passat for a while so I'm thinking it could be put on the radar...

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      06-12-2012 04:49 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Ken21 View Post
      How's the cluster swap DIY coming along ?? Ordered the cluster and canbus gateway already.

Did you replace your gateway ??
      Sorry for the delay, been kind of hectic lately. I promise it's on it's way very soon. Yes, I swapped my gateway a long time ago, at the same time I swapped my steering wheel because the MDI wouldn't work with my old one. But the new clusters do require a newer revision gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vak331 View Post
      MDAce15:

When you did the cluster swap (I am personally coming from a white dot matrix), how did you code the original mileage? I would like to upgrade to the full color one.

I believe that Car-systems sells the clusters unlocked with 0 miles? Do the original miles immediately return? I remember an old MKV Jetta thread in which Maloosheck was forced to buy some Chinese programing tool, etc...
      The old mileage does not automatically return, it must be coded using VCDS (Vag-Com). This is where I got the programming instructions (post number 8).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...hlight=Cluster

Some of the steps are a little different because of the updates to the Ross-Tech software, but the basic concept is the same. I'll try to be more specific in my DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleser View Post
      Love what you've done to your interior!

Subscribing to see the DIY thread for the gauge cluster swap... would love to do that someday, and I'll have my Passat for a while so I'm thinking it could be put on the radar...
      Thanks a lot man. I wanted to tell you, you have one of my favorite B6s I've ever seen, especially with that Hi-Def kit, really nice. I would definitely recommend you do the cluster swap if it fits your circumstances, it completely changes your interior. Like I said DIY thread coming soon. Thanks again.

21. 06-17-2012 01:24 AM #56
      Thanks a lot man. I wanted to tell you, you have one of my favorite B6s I've ever seen, especially with that Hi-Def kit, really nice. I would definitely recommend you do the cluster swap if it fits your circumstances, it completely changes your interior. Like I said DIY thread coming soon. Thanks again.
      Thanks! I haven't posted updated photos in a while but that's because she is basically the same as last year for now. Kids tend to do that to you.

I did add the climatronic aluminum rings as you did; love the subtle difference.

If I'm going to have this car another 2-3 years I'm hoping to do an RCD-510 swap as well as maybe the R36 gauge cluster; just not sure where to shop for one... maybe ebay.de? Does the R36 have the high-def center info display like yours? EDIT: Nevermind, just did a quick google search and although I love the R36 cluster it still has the old-school red info display like mine. Hmmm....

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      06-26-2012 09:58 PM #57
      I was minding my own business when the Vortex homepage came along and showed me these:

It was a feature article about the soon to be released RS4 Avant (which is gorgeous by the way) and these are the wheels it will be sporting...

I'm completely torn between these and the RS3 wheels pictured on the previous page but I think I like these a little better.

Either way I'm gonna need OEMWheelsPlus.com or somebody to replicate these. What do you guys think?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      07 3.6 Passat Wagon
      06-26-2012 10:08 PM #58
      me likey!

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      06-26-2012 10:18 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by 3.6awdwagon View Post
      me likey!
      Right?! I LOVE the open look of these wheels. They have like a hollow five spoke look. I NEED these.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      06-26-2012 10:19 PM #60
      me likey!
      X a million billion
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

26. Member
      Vehicles
      3.6 4mo, 9k Aero
      06-27-2012 11:50 AM #61
      Love what you've done with your car. Can't wait to see whats next!!!

Vehicles
      2009 silver leaf passat wagon
      07-17-2012 12:39 AM #62
      What part number gateway do you have?
      The first line of defense is You. H&R springs Bilstein sports APR stage 1, Magnaflow exhaust.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32, 08 Passat VR6 4Mo.
      01-13-2013 02:54 AM #63
      curious to see what youve done lately to the car. any updates??

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      07-04-2013 03:12 AM #64
      WOW! I can't believe it's been over a year since my last post on this thread. So much has happened in this past 12 months... Relocated to The Hudson Valley (Orange County, NY), started a new job, Super Storm Sandy, etc., etc., etc...

Anyway, onto the car. I haven't really done anything major to the car since my last post. The few mods or upgrades I did do were basically to make the car more useable on a daily basis and tailor it to fit me better. But I also did make some pretty major purchases that are yet to be installed. The upgrades are:

HID HEADLIGHT AND FOG UPGRADE
      As of my last post, I was running 35W 5000K HIDs in both the Headlights and the Projector Fogs. This setup worked great when I was living in NYC, but now living in Orange County, the roads are MUCH darker at night and quite a bit more twisty (which is great fun, but can make things a bit more dangerous at night). So I decided to upgrade my heads to 55W 4500K HIDs and I kept the projector fogs 35W but changed the color to 4500K also for a whiter light. This setup is amazing and lights up the road well enough to give me the confidence to drive on even the darkest roads. And yes, my lighting is properly aimed so as not to blind others. I will soon swap the projector fogs to 55W 4500K for a little added illumination and still plan on developing that Night Vision setup to help with deer avoidance.

INTERIOR LED UPGRADE
      Living in NYC can be hazardous to your health, especially if pulled over by a trigger-happy officer at night. I was always taught to turn on your interior lights when pulled over so it puts the officers at ease as they approach the car because they can see clearly into the car. So I purchased a full interior LED kit off of eBay for about $23 shipped and it was worth every cent. It illuminates the interior so well that I can see clearly into my car from at least 50 yards away, which is good for cops and also to deter someone from thinking they can hide near the car. I was going to install the OEM puddle lights on the bottoms of the doors to go along with the ones under the mirrors, but I don't even need them now.

CONTINENTAL DWS TIRE UPGRADE
      My previous tires were starting to wear down and they always rode terribly in my opinion so as winter approached I decided to get the tires I've heard so many good things about. I have no regrets at all about that decision. These tires are the PERFECT compliment to the 4Motion system. I drove up a hill with at least a 30-45 degree incline in 10" of snow without even the slightest hint of wheel spin. They also do very well in the dry and wet. I had them installed on my stock 17" LeMans wheels which will soon serve as my winter setup...

And that segways right into my major purchases...

H&R STREET PERFORMANCE COILOVERS
      I met up with a fellow Vortexer (really good guy) who sold me his lightly used H&R Coilover setup at a nice price. My plan is to set them at just a hair below stock OEM sport suspension height so as to gain some better handling yet maintain some comfort and that OEM+ look. I may consider H&R sway bars also to add to the sporty handling, but we'll see how the coilovers feel after they're installed. I'll probably be installing them in the next few weeks.

AFS HEADLIGHTS (Housing only - no ballasts or harnesses)
      I was browsing eBay a few months back and saw most AFS incomplete headlights selling for $400 each. I came across someone selling them seperately for $75 each. I couldn't pass that up. I initially bought them thinking maybe I could sell them for a little more, but I recently changed my mind. I like my S5 headlights... But... The thing I hate about them is the LEDs are basically invisible in any daylight. OEM DRL LEDs (that's alot of letters ) can be seen from a mile away in direct sunlight and that's the look I want. The "dimness" of the S5 LEDs is a dead giveaway that they're aftermarket and for me that's a no-no. I'm not going to install the full AFS system, just the heads and necessary adapter harness and then I will do some sort of high quality custom LED lighting to maintain the OEM+ look.

18" ALZOR RS3 REPS (AKA My favorite wheels of all-time)
      ECS had (and maybe still has...?) a great deal on Alzor replica wheels. $399 for the set. I couldn't pass that up. They were back ordered for about a month but just arrived last week. They probably won't be going on for a while because I want to get some really good wet / dry sport tires for them. But the important thing is I finally have them. They have a matte finish so Im considering taking them to get a ,few layers of glossy clear coat to give them more shine, but we'll see. Here's a quick mock up...

So thats where it stands right now. I hope to get my Oil Pump Bolt swapped out before the summer is over, but thats "All the news thats fit to print" for now. Sorry If I was a bit long winded... Been a while. Thanks for looking. All thoughts and input is welcome. More updates to come.
      Last edited by MDAce15; 07-04-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 Passat 3.6 4motion; '11 A4 Avant
      07-04-2013 02:37 PM #65
      Thanks for the update Matt, your wagon is looking great! I especially love the R-line guage cluster with the blue needles and nav, it's something that I would like to do on mine.

Have you done the suitcase resonator delete yet? You'll love the sound.

Keep us posted!
      '08 Passat 3.6 4motion, united grey, Llumar CTX tint 40% sides, 30% back window, Magnaflow 35121 tips, resonator (suitcase) delete, 18" Audi S4/BBS CH wheels, Michelin PS2's.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      07 3.6 Passat Wagon
      07-05-2013 10:40 AM #66
      Car looks great buddy. Looking forward to all the up coming plans. Are you going to waterfest in a few weeks?

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      07-05-2013 10:35 PM #67
      Car looks great buddy. Looking forward to all the up coming plans. Are you going to waterfest in a few weeks?
      Unfortunately not... I have an engagement I cannot back out of... This will make 3 years straight I've missed it which sucks even more because I've never been.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6VR6 4motion
      08-15-2013 11:10 AM #68
      Matt -

Any guidance on the MFSW swap?

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      08-16-2013 05:58 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by WilNJ View Post
      Matt -

Any guidance on the MFSW swap?
      Absolutely! Took me forever to write it up but I think it's helped a couple of people, so well worth it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...SG-Paddles-DIY...

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6VR6 4motion
      08-16-2013 10:08 AM #70
      Absolutely! Took me forever to write it up but I think it's helped a couple of people, so well worth it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...SG-Paddles-DIY...
      Yeah, the B6 wagon I'm looking at didn't start with a MFSW, so I'd be starting from scratch. I'll keep looking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast