Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keto: pops

Vehicles
      92 golf aba, BMP 20th
      04-22-2012 06:14 PM #26
      I want to do this diet i tried it for a few days and it just felt so weird eating all that food im not used to eating. I kind of got scared to continue it but its obviously proven to work and also healthy. Maybe ill give it another go

Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      04-30-2012 02:00 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by itschrisb View Post
      I want to do this diet i tried it for a few days and it just felt so weird eating all that food im not used to eating. I kind of got scared to continue it but its obviously proven to work and also healthy. Maybe ill give it another go
      I started Keto after my husband had been doing it for a couple months and having great success. This was the hardest thing for me, initially. Putting half and half in my coffee and eating full fat cheese have always been weight loss no-nos. I love it. We went on vacation and I went back to carbs and man I can tell a huge difference mentally. With carbs I am lethargic and cloudy, on keto I am awake and alert like a damn 5-hour energy commercial. It is hard to get over the first few days of feeling kinda gross, but then all that clears up and you feel great. Keep at it!

3. 05-16-2012 09:49 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      With carbs I am lethargic and cloudy,
      I know exactly what you mean, I never realized it before until i cut carbs but the starchy ones make me super bloated to the point that its uncomfortable,

I'm sure this i stuff most of you all know but here is a good read that came out on daily mail a couple of days ago

I've been talking this same shop with a friend of mine who for all intensive purposes could give two ****s about nutrition, him and everyone else in the room always look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I'd pick fats over carbs

now this shows up on the interwebs and he posts it on facebook ( I hate facebook)

p.s. ModestGirl: go Ballmer...just kidding

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A4 2013 Q5
      05-16-2012 12:21 PM #29
      I have been doing something similar to Keto, Paleo/Primal, been doing it since August of 2011. I eat a good amount of fats whether it being from coconut oil, nuts and animals fats. I started at 205 and am down to 185. I am a lot stronger and faster since starting. And any type of baked goods that I crave I make from almond flour or coconut flour. I have seen a complete transformation in mind and body since doing it.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A4 2013 Q5
      05-16-2012 12:22 PM #30
      Also, I tell my buddies who argue about this with me. Would you rather eat two rolls or a pound of crispy bacon?

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-18-2012 11:47 AM #32
      Eating less processed food will get you better results while consuming the same amount of calories. The difference is the body can get rid of whole foods better while processed stuff is harder to get rid of.

I rather take a nice piece of 8oz sirloin than a burger with the same calorie count and the steak gives you better quality protein and iron.

I lost weight simply by eating more frequently and not add empty calories.

Carbs during the day and more protein at night to not get hungry and snack.

The biggest health problem in this country is that majority of people eat poor during breakfast and lunch. From folks skipping breakfast to having just a hotdog for lunch then go home and eat out at fast food or diners. That's how people get fat.

7. Member
      05-20-2012 08:59 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

I rather take a nice piece of 8oz sirloin than a burger with the same calorie count and the steak gives you better quality protein and iron.
      I'm speechless.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      01-08-2013 04:34 PM #34
      I know this thread is a bit old... but I was curious how pops was getting along 6-8 months down the line.

Still doing keto? Or just low carb?
      Still down on weight?
      Have your lab numbers improved at all?
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

9. Member
      01-08-2013 09:11 PM #35
      Howdy, I was thinking of bumping this myself.

It's been a year of low-carb eating and I'm still going. I've let up a bit, yesterday I had some polenta and spinach with my lamb vindaloo but that's about the extent of it. I did relax things around the holidays because I enjoy meals with my family and my Aunt makes killer mashed potatoes.

I just redid my labs less than 3 weeks ago and my total CHOL was 200, my HDL was 94, my LDL was around 85, my TRIGS were 36, and VLDL was 7. Blood pressure is 122/72 and pulse is 52 bpm.

My weight has been steady around 200 and my gym lifts are progressing slowly using 5/3/1.

I work out of my house now, so my food is still the same every day. I wake up around 5:30 AM and have coffee. My first meal is at 11:00 and is an 8 egg omelette. I'll pack it with peppers, mushrooms, cheese, onions, and either locally produced jalepeno brats or bacon and olives.

I'll have something small around 3:30 and then dinner in the evening. Tonight, I've got 2 chicken legs and 2 thighs in the slow cooker with carrots, onions, and celery. I'll saute a bag of spinach to go along with it.

I'm actually looking to lean up a little bit and will stick to this eating regimen as I do. I may even try getting another DEXA in April or so and will report back.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      01-09-2013 08:35 AM #36
      Great to hear its working out for you. I've been on a Paleo diet for 2 months now and have lost 22.5lbs with working out 3 days a week. I'm trying to be very strict with it since the holidays are over.

Sugar and carbs were certainly very hard to give up. Sugar in general (except from fruits and veggies). My first day I felt like I was quitting smoking. The only dairy I take in is in my coffee and salad dressing, although I'm trying to stay away from the salad dressing.

The biggest problems with this diet are; cooking and needing new pants! I cook a lot during the week, but I am also working from home so it's easier. Over the weekends I roast multiple chickens and do a pot roast or something like it. I actually find it harder to eat out, since I need to substitute so much.

I plan to start ordering meat from US Wellness Meats. I want to start eating more Bison since its extremely lean, but its very expensive. Also want to stick with meats that are fed what they are supposed to eat (grassfed).
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-09-2013 09:35 AM #37
      Good god that meat is expensive.

12. Member
      03-20-2013 11:31 PM #38
      Updating the thread with some info:

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      04-10-2013 04:27 PM #39
      So after our chat in the progress thread I saw this. You definitely have had some experience using this way of eating...

I'd like to continue using the current plan that I'm on just for sake of continuity but I would like to learn more about the ratios for fat/protein/carb that you're using.

I've come up with the reading I've done for myself to be 2,100 cal's a day 26g of carbs/ 152g Fat/ 158g protein

65%Fat/35%Protein/5%Carb

I'm going to be doing low intensity workouts every morning first thing before I eat my breakfast.

I'd like to basically eat 3 meals and supplement w/ a shake and a bit of olive oil (no coconut oil in the commissary here)

But really is this ratio the best for preserving muscle and losing fat?

*this is one of the posts that helped talked me into the palumbo plan*

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...3849451&page=1 I apologize for the BB.com link and warning there is a dude w/ his shirt off.

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      04-12-2013 08:24 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      65%Fat/35%Protein/5%Carb

I'm going to be doing low intensity workouts every morning first thing before I eat my breakfast.

I'd like to basically eat 3 meals and supplement w/ a shake and a bit of olive oil (no coconut oil in the commissary here)

But really is this ratio the best for preserving muscle and losing fat?
      Yeah that's perfect. Props to you if you can actually get your diet down that perfectly. You might want to get in at least 30 carbs and up to 50 should be fine. But yes you're in the proper range for a quick transition into the protein sparing adaptions to ketosis. Of course during the first day or few days, you lose a lot of protein but after the second or third week, the adaptations are complete and from there on out you'll have an advantage over low fat diets in the protein sparing department. During the first 3 weeks it might be a draw or a slight advantage for your diet depending on how many carbs you eat and how much protein.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      04-12-2013 11:49 AM #41
      I'm actually pretty easily set into routine so if I can get a diet built for thse #s ill be set...working on one now so if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at it to see what you think...I don't want to get super obsessed over where the fats come from (other than Trans fats) so things like oil, butter, nuts, cheese are all game to me...

Thanks for the reply

16. Member
      04-12-2013 01:23 PM #42
      GSM pretty much covered it, but yeah, you're macros look spot on.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      04-12-2013 02:21 PM #43
      Yep...pretty much been obsessively researching this stuff I might have a problem....However I really enjoy the foods I'm eating and the ideas behind it so I'm going to give this a go.

So I came up with a basic sample meal plan

Breakfast
      3 Eggs scrambled
      28 slices pepperoni slice (I love me some pepperoni)
      1 Tbsp heavy cream (in the eggs)

Lunch (going to be a buffalo chicken salad)
      4oz roasted chicken thighs (in EVOO)
      Giant bowl of baby spinach
      2 Tbsp of blue cheese salad dressing
      1/4 cup of walnuts
      throw some franks red hot in that beatch.

Dinner
      8 oz Ribeye
      Baby spinach
      1 Tbsp of EVOO and red wine vinegar

After kid goes to bed snack or mixed in throughout the day I've given up on meal timing after all the stuff I've been reading..

Whey isolate Vanilla protein 1 scoop (only has 1g carb) and 30g protein
      1 oz (23) almonds

So there we go..totally exciting I know but I just wanted to see if you guys that have used this eating style before with good progress can see anything wrong with it. I mean the macros ended up being about as close as I could possibly get

Goal:
      My cal goals were 2,100cal's / 26g of carbs / 152g Fat/ 158g protein /

Actual:
      2,096 Cals / 15g carb / 158g Fat / 154g protein

As you can see the carbs are what is bothering me...If I'm allotted 26g should I be trying to obtain that amount or can I sustain myself on 15...I do workout 4x a week in addition to 30 min of super light cardio 7 days a week.

I believe even those 15g of carbs is counting fiber as well so I may be truly getting even less than 15g. Any advice on that I'd appreciate it.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      04-12-2013 02:39 PM #44
      Going to go on a different approach, and suggest maybe just tracking all your foods on myfitnesspal or something. I have found that when trying to "monitor" my diet, that if I make something very strict (like saying I am only eating this stuff this week) I end up getting sick of it and burnt out very quickly.

If you use a foodscale and MFP (or dailyburn, etc) you can plug in anything and everything, and therefore have a ton of variety in your diet, yet still hit those macro nutrient goals you've set for yourself.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      04-12-2013 03:37 PM #45
      I did use myfitnesspal to get all those #'s I just haven't been able to find an easy way to get that small amount of carbs in there.

Like is it safe to consume 10g of maltodextrin in my protein shake something along those lines?

20. Member
      04-12-2013 09:14 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      Yep...pretty much been obsessively researching this stuff I might have a problem....However I really enjoy the foods I'm eating and the ideas behind it so I'm going to give this a go.
      Excellent meal plan. Regarding the carbs...I would shoot to hit that amount especially if it means eating leafy greens. You can never eat too much kale, spinach, Swiss chard, etc. Make some kale with onions and shallots with your dinner or some broccoli with garlic butter.

Also - and I tell everyone this - make sure you're getting 5 grams of salt (2 grams of sodium) a day. When you stop eating processed foods, the only salt you get is whatever you add yourself. If you start having food cravings, especially for things like chips and pretzels, it very may well be a salt craving. Have a cup of chicken broth or salted cucumbers.

Drink lots of water, carbs help you hold water. Drink a couple cups more a day then you are currently.

If your digestion slows down, have a couple tbsps of psyllium husks at night. I have no idea why, but the ground psyllium husks don't work for me (Metamucil), then need to be whole. Drink it quickly as they turn to a gel pretty quickly.

Keep us updated and share any good recipes you come across.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      04-12-2013 10:41 PM #47
      ^word up

Thanks again for setting me straight I'd hate to be on a diet and not getting the full benefits of it..I'll definitely share recipes I'm kind of a foodie so I'll probably be going out of my way to make things to eat...

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      05-04-2013 02:19 AM #48
      Just an update this diet is working down to 185 from 205 I think 10 lbs of that was water weight but still I'm loving it....the wife jumped on board as well. Thanks again for the help!

23. Member
      05-04-2013 06:20 PM #49
      Glad to hear it's working for you.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT, Mazda 3
      05-05-2013 06:52 PM #50
      Glad to see this come to the top, I just read the whole thread and picked up some good ideas I'm starting my third week on a keto diet after watching a co-worker do it and drop 35 pounds in four months. Right now my goals are fairly conservative - going to stick to it for three months, hoping to drop 20 lbs in that time frame; after three months I'll see where I'm at and decide where to go from there. About three years ago, I lost 30 pounds in five months on a "traditional" low-fat/low-cal diet, and I tried again the first three months of this year (after putting 20 of those 30 pounds back on over time) but it just wasn't doing anything this time around.

I haven't gotten into seriously watching my macros, just taking it week by week for now and adjusting if I feel like I need to. I feel like I skew lower on the fat than most people on this diet, but that's just what feels good to me. I cook big batches at the beginning of the week and that carries me through. Typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: piece of "breakfast casserole" which I make a 13x9 pan of every Sunday (eggs, meat, veggies, splash of heavy cream, shredded cheese all over the top, bake @ 375/30 min) with a dollop of sour cream

Lunch: mixed greens salad with grilled chicken, shaved parm, handful of walnuts or sliced almonds, Caesar or blue cheese dressing

Dinner: varies from week to week - this week I just made chicken tenders coated in crushed BBQ pork rinds, with blue cheese & bacon coleslaw on the side; last week it was shrimp with lime-basil sauce, with broccoli and cauliflower (w/lots of butter of course) on the side.

Snacks: cheese (quality stuff not processed junk, of course), pepperoni, roasted almonds, olives

Drinks: water, unsweetened iced tea, small amounts of Coke Zero (I have to drink something with a little flavor in the morning)

So far I'm down about 8 pounds in two weeks, I know it will slow down from here on out, but it feels great so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast