Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Project Touareg GTD: Interior Protection for Winter & Flood

1. 02-20-2012 11:07 PM #1

There’s nothing like a massive silt-ridden flood to threaten the sanctity of a new car’s interior. This was just the scenario not long after acquiring our Touareg TDI and the conditions reminded us just how valuable protective gear such as rubber floor and cargo mats can be. And with winter also just around the corner, the acquisition seemed like a solid strategy for keeping salt and slush at bay in the months ahead. The next move for our Touareg was obvious.

For those who don’t know, Volkswagen Accessories has a number of options in the interior protection department. Several floor mats offer everything from plush to molded, while a mix of trunk guards can be as simple as a flat layer of plastic to an intricate and customizable gear organizer.

Full Story

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      02-21-2012 08:09 AM #2
      Nice-looking project car! I have to say the Euro accessories (the cargo liner but especially the mats, seem like a bit of form over substance, to me. Perhaps there isn't a Touareg equivalent, but the OEM US-market "monster" mats with their deep pockets and lip do a great job of containing all manner of unwanted liquids and solids. I'm glad I brought mine with me/the car over to Europe. The US "gorilla gear" cargo liner has a deeper tray to it, but is not as easy to clean as the Euro rubber one for sure, though it is washable. It has been interesting comparing the pros and cons of the various VW accessories available on each continent.

Vehicles
      1996 Toyota Taco; 2004 MKIV TR .:R32, 2010 BMW X5D, 2012 Scott Foil 30
      02-21-2012 08:40 AM #3
      I always appreciate the reviews and project cars that vwvortex puts out but this Toureg is kind of lack luster so far. I understand that there probably isn't much aftermarket for these (especially the diesel) but something a little more substantial than floor mats would be cool as this is in my top 3 new family trucksters to pick up this summer/fall.

Keep up the good work as always just throwing in my $0.02.
      A little Japanese, two Germans and a Swiss two wheeler

Vehicles
      04 R32 FT450, 11 Touareg TDI Sport, 13 allroad
      02-21-2012 10:48 AM #4
      Think the monster mats look better and are more functional than the European mats. Proved that point this weekend after playing in the snow and what was left (i.e. water ) stayed within the mats until I could take them out and empty them.
      Arguing over the internet is like being the smartest kid with Down's Syndrome...I think my case is full blown.

5. 02-21-2012 11:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by gls:maverick View Post
      I always appreciate the reviews and project cars that vwvortex puts out but this Toureg is kind of lack luster so far. I understand that there probably isn't much aftermarket for these (especially the diesel) but something a little more substantial than floor mats would be cool as this is in my top 3 new family trucksters to pick up this summer/fall.

Keep up the good work as always just throwing in my $0.02.
      We've actually got some cool stuff planned. We had a slow start as winter set in but stories will begin to flow more freely now that summer is approaching. Wheels and tires are next and that will publish next week.

6. 02-21-2012 12:29 PM #6
      Our Touareg came with Monster mats for the seating area. They're in there now for the winter. The carpeted mats will go back in this summer.

For the cargo area, we have the cargo mat with the load blocks.
      11 Touareg Lux TDI Blk/Blk
      13 Subaru BRZ
      04 Ram 2500 CTD

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI
      02-21-2012 04:37 PM #7
      Those mats are great for rain and snow but let's face it, for any flood type situations, not gonna be much help...

Vehicles
      2012 TDI Exec
      02-21-2012 09:02 PM #8
      Cool mats but not optimal for snowy places. Would consider them for non-winter months.
      2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Aluminum Pedal Covers | Warning Triangle | Euro Mats
      2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old)
      2006 Passat B6 Sport 1 (old)
      2003 Passat B5.5 V6 (old)

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      02-22-2012 05:32 PM #9
      Wow, what a thrilling update -- floor mats! What could be next? Valve stem caps? I am on the edge of my seat.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagoneer
      02-22-2012 10:23 PM #10
      wethertech > OEM
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::
      ::::::: I am not living, I am just killing time. ::::::
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::

Vehicles
      '09, Sportwagen SEL / '15 Outback
      02-23-2012 01:03 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Wow, what a thrilling update -- floor mats! What could be next? Valve stem caps? I am on the edge of my seat.
      I agree. Wtf has this self aggrandizing bs become? Standard dealer schwag? Really?

"Oh look a project car! What amazing custom super intricate original work did they possibly do this time? Oh snap look at it, siiiiiiiCK!!!!! A new OEM Toureg license plate frame!"

Impress me VwVortex. Actually. Please.
      Adjusting my lifestyle with the grace and wisdom of a potato.

12. 02-23-2012 12:09 PM #12
      It's not thrilling, but people still use them and need them. Give me about an hour and you'll see the next update with a bit more meat.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      02-23-2012 01:11 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by George@VWvortex View Post
      It's not thrilling, but people still use them and need them. Give me about an hour and you'll see the next update with a bit more meat.
      Just ribbing you. I'm sure you saw that coming with the nature of the update.

I also would like to see more substance to the project cars. I thought the black and orange Beetle was awesome but it seems to have just disappeared. It seems they're introduced and they just fade away.

14. 02-23-2012 04:35 PM #14
      Just ribbing you. I'm sure you saw that coming with the nature of the update.

I also would like to see more substance to the project cars. I thought the black and orange Beetle was awesome but it seems to have just disappeared. It seems they're introduced and they just fade away.
      No, fair ribbing for sure. We figured with it being winter we'd lead with that but it's not exactly big news. Still, it's practical.

The Beetle was a tough one. We didn't own the car and it was pre-production. It had to go back. We've got another one inbound and plan to get even more experimental with it. We've also got at least one Golf R project coming in video format and talks of a second one that may come together.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW P W12 LWB, 2006 VW T V8 OP5, 2008 smart FT i3 Cabrio
      02-24-2012 01:46 AM #15
      I don't see anything wrong with the project so far.

Maybe people are jaded, I but enjoyed seeing the alternative mats.

Regarding the VW 1st aid kit, Ive seen the outside of a number of kits sold by VW for a number of vehicles, but never the insides or a list of package contents.

It would have been nice to see at least a pic of the insides.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      02-24-2012 10:02 AM #16
      I see your wheel and tire update - looks pretty good.

Looking forward to the Golf R project.