VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Project Touareg GTD: Interior Protection for Winter & Flood

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mhjett 
#1 ·

There’s nothing like a massive silt-ridden flood to threaten the sanctity of a new car’s interior. This was just the scenario not long after acquiring our Touareg TDI and the conditions reminded us just how valuable protective gear such as rubber floor and cargo mats can be. And with winter also just around the corner, the acquisition seemed like a solid strategy for keeping salt and slush at bay in the months ahead. The next move for our Touareg was obvious.

For those who don’t know, Volkswagen Accessories has a number of options in the interior protection department. Several floor mats offer everything from plush to molded, while a mix of trunk guards can be as simple as a flat layer of plastic to an intricate and customizable gear organizer.

Full Story

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice-looking project car! I have to say the Euro accessories (the cargo liner but especially the mats, seem like a bit of form over substance, to me. Perhaps there isn't a Touareg equivalent, but the OEM US-market "monster" mats with their deep pockets and lip do a great job of containing all manner of unwanted liquids and solids. I'm glad I brought mine with me/the car over to Europe. The US "gorilla gear" cargo liner has a deeper tray to it, but is not as easy to clean as the Euro rubber one for sure, though it is washable. It has been interesting comparing the pros and cons of the various VW accessories available on each continent.

#3 ·
I always appreciate the reviews and project cars that vwvortex puts out but this Toureg is kind of lack luster so far. I understand that there probably isn't much aftermarket for these (especially the diesel) but something a little more substantial than floor mats would be cool as this is in my top 3 new family trucksters to pick up this summer/fall.

Keep up the good work as always just throwing in my $0.02.

#4 ·
Think the monster mats look better and are more functional than the European mats. Proved that point this weekend after playing in the snow and what was left (i.e. water :D) stayed within the mats until I could take them out and empty them.

#6 ·
Our Touareg came with Monster mats for the seating area. They're in there now for the winter. The carpeted mats will go back in this summer.

For the cargo area, we have the cargo mat with the load blocks.

#8 ·
Cool mats but not optimal for snowy places. Would consider them for non-winter months.

#11 ·
I agree. Wtf has this self aggrandizing bs become? Standard dealer schwag? Really?

"Oh look a project car! What amazing custom super intricate original work did they possibly do this time? Oh snap look at it, siiiiiiiCK!!!!! A new OEM Toureg license plate frame!"

Impress me VwVortex. Actually. Please.

#15 ·
I don't see anything wrong with the project so far.

Maybe people are jaded, I but enjoyed seeing the alternative mats.

Regarding the VW 1st aid kit, Ive seen the outside of a number of kits sold by VW for a number of vehicles, but never the insides or a list of package contents.

It would have been nice to see at least a pic of the insides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.