VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Spotted: VW Up! commercial being filmed in SoCal.

7K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Robski92 
#1 ·
Spotted this over the weekend downtown.

There was also a 4 door version:

A block away, a Subaru commercial was being filmed:

One of these windows, a couple of blocks away, belongs to a TCLer :p:

See less See more
#21 ·
Subaru shoot crew.

was the red bus involved in the commercial? looks like it has a bigass dent in the slider door on the passenger side.
Yep, had German plates and a dent.

#27 ·
See the Mid-Century Houses and Old Porsches thread, toward the end :p.

#31 ·
Are these coming to NA? 0-60 in 13 seconds seems like a non-starter here.
Eventually, as with all VWs, there will be several engines. IMO, this has a better chance to come to the US than the Polo (especially, since it is much less expensive but of almost the same size, inside) - but profit margins on cars this size are almost non-existent. Would have to be a GTI version or similar to make money on it. While EVs/plug-ins still suffer from outrageous battery costs, I think such versions would also be neat on this platform.

Did I read that correctly? The rear windows on the 4 door don't roll down? That's odd. Otherwise, I like it a lot.
Probably related to visibility, design, and cost. At a size of a 500, the additional vertical bar (to separate the portion that fits into the door at roll-down) would have been in a weird spot. Also, this is a low-end car, so it helps making it affordable.

#33 ·
I just viewed a few YT vids of road tests and I'm impressed, it DOES remind me of a modern incarnation of the MKI Golf/Rabbit ..if it could come to the USA for around 10k or so I would be interested in this. The high quality is there and is what you would expect from VW but the thing I also really like is the very honest, simple interior and looks all the while being solid and high quality , just like the OLD original Beetle was. Something that has been missing in most modern cars for a long time now.

I like simplicity, and high quality at a reasonable price.

Where is this model being built?

#36 ·
I've always had my DSLR... It's just a pain in the ass to carry around :p.

And the G2 is a 5 megapixel camera! It's just that the lens is always covered in french fry grease :p.

#39 ·
The GT UP is said to give the same performance/ nimble dynamic driving experience as the ORIGINAL MKI Golf/Rabbit GTI...now that is something I would be very interested in!

And those 300 hp portly pigs are expensive to maintain and put gas in too.

The thought of a VW UP getting over 60 MPG in basic form makes me doubly interested. The problem with small cars in the USA today is that they simply DO NOT get the MPGs they should.

#44 ·
That's it, your flamingo is getting a rock to the head in about 5 minutes.

#45 ·
All the cars had Euro plates, as they were filming "Europe." A3, Bus, Touareg, S4 and a dirty X-Files-looking grey Chevy van, also with German plates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.