VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

FS: 1983 Jetta Deluxe $1500obo Effingham, IL

6K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  truckmaniac 
#1 · (Edited)
SOLD!!!! FS: 1983 Jetta Deluxe $1500obo Effingham, IL

Up for sale is a 1983 Jetta Deluxe 1.7L 5spd.

New ignition control module, Beru plug wires, Napa Echlin dizzy cap and rotor, NGK platinum plugs, OE clutch cable, OE clutch cable grommets, rebuilt shifter relay w/OE parts, and short shift bracket is being welded now. The steering rack boots are torn, I have new OE replacements for that.

I am heading to Bommarito VW in St Louis tomorrow for a shifter dust boot and a throttle pedal cable bushing. The bushing is keeping me from driving the car. :(

I drove it around a little before rebuilding the shifter/short shift and tune up. I am suprised how the 1.7 pulls and that's with the distributor clamp very loose from the previous owner, which has been tightened.

The spark plugs that came out were a bit sooty. I'll go through that vacuum lines and check things out. The front brakes are a bit rusty from lack of driving, I have been looking into GTI Rabbit brakes as an upgrade to the solid non-vented that comes on the car.

Previous owner had tires put on recently, a locally bent cat-back exhaust (which needs a cat to pipe gasket), and there's a new coil spring in the trunk (I don't know the story about that).

Driver's seat cushion is broken down a little bit, the rest of the seats are in great condition. No structual rust, there is some surface rust here and there on the body. Strut towers are just fine. The dash is in fantastic shape. I have not tried the moonroof. The parking brake works great. The radio is a Pioneer cd player and rear speakers appear to be JVC, I don't know about the front speakers. Half shafts and tie rods are in great condition.

I plan to bring the car down the Feb 25th stlvw.org gtg and have some better pictures taken of it.

Parts list:
-EP541 Napa ignition rotor
-EP274 Napa ignition cap
-211905351D OE Huco ignition module
-7084 NGK spark plugs
-MDO385 OE Beru Spark plug wires
-171798211 OE shifter rebuild kit
-171711574B OE gear shift selector shaft
-171711593E OE gear shift selector shaft
-171711163E Gear Shifter Shaft Relay Lever
-171721335E OE clutch release cable
-171721308 Clutch cable grommet
-171721307 Clutch cable grommet
-1H0422831B steering rack boots
-171412031B Sachs/Boge frt struts
-171412329A Febi frt strut mounts
-191837207 Driver's door handle
-171711210 shifter dust boot plug
-171711195C Shifter dust boot
-431721559 throttle pedal/cable bushing
-OP6066 oil pressure sensor (at cyl head)
-171407365F ball joints
-277-5226 Coil springs
-171498625D Wheel bearing kit
-155422803 x2 Complete tie rod assm's
-N90206103 clutch bolts
-BS40427 rear main seal kit
-056103609A oil pan gasket
-027141999 LUK OE clutch kit
-020141073A throw out bearing cover (cover with clutch kit leaked)
-893407237 CV joint bolts
-N10013401 clutch cover bolts

See less See more
#3 ·
#8 ·
It has worn out stock shocks and stock springs now. The RF spring is saggin a lot. A local club member has a set of stock springs I will pick up and could install with some Sachs/Boge strut inserts, or if a buyer wants me to install something different (at buyer's cost), I am just fine with that.

The mileage is just under 145xxx

I picked up a throttle pedal bushing, shifter dust boot, driver's door handle, and aftermarket antenna that I haven't added to the parts list yet.

All repairs have been preformed with a A1 Bentley manual. The Bentley manual is not included with the sale of the vehicle. The library that I have it loaned from would not like that very much.

#10 · (Edited)
Bump for replacing a few parts.

I have Febi German made frt strut mounts in hand, I am wanting on German Sachs/Boge frt struts. They should be here Monday.

While diggin on the car, the right inner tierod is rusted and the steering boots is very torn (no biggie, I have new ones already). Good thing I have struts coming, the RF strut is not letting the spring drop, like it is stuck compressed. That may leave a mark when I take it apart.

The steering wheel started "clunking". The lower bearing has slipped out of the steering collumn tube. I checked with the local VW dealer, a couple parts are still available but most have been discontinued. If it sticks around long enough, I'll check into that. Also, the oil light still flashs at me occasionally. I bump the dash and it goes out.

Parts list in first post will be updated.

#14 ·
Been doing some work.

I replaced the RF wheel bearing, no more ticking noise. Ball joints boots were ripped but still moved firmly, not bad for 30 year old ball joints. They were still riveted in. Those got replaced. I ended up getting new springs, 4dr Automatic Rabbit springs. They have a lil heavier spring rate. Should have all that in tomorrow night. The tie rod boots are ripped so the inner tierod joints are rusted bad, tierods are on order.

Pleasant suprised, this is the only rust on the front strut towers.

parts listed updated.

#17 ·
Still up for sale.

The car has developed a vibration coming from the RF. Since the ball joint, wheel bearing, and strut mount are new, they are it (I checked them, they are tight). Half shaft is firm, but there is a tear in the outer boot. There is a bit of play at the output flange of the trans. :mad: I have a couple transmission lined up if that turns out to be the problem.

#27 ·
The clutch started dragging so I parked it till I had time to look into it and not pass out from the heat!

Found the problem, the thrust plate retainer spring popped out and lodged itself into the pressure plate. (11 o'clock posistion)

Thank God a customer with an air conditioned shop let me use his lift!!!!! :up:

I upgraded to a 210mm A2 8v LUK clutch. I also did a rear main seal and oil pan gasket. I'll update the parts list eventually.

#34 ·
IDK if this is still for sale, but I'm gonna bump it for you for being probably the most local vortexer to me. I've spent a lot of time in Effingham, who knows, maybe I've seen you. :D I live in Newton and am currently going to SIUE, so I'm making the trip up and down I-70 almost every weekend. If you need parts from down here, maybe you could PM me and we could make a deal of some sort, save you some fuel. :peace:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.