Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Evo X?

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      02-21-2012 03:38 PM #1
      Long story short, I sold my 2011 135i because I wasn't using it much and felt that it was a waste of money. Problem is, now I regret it because I really liked the car and enjoyed it every single time I drove it....but, to replace it with a new one just like mine, I'd have to spend about $41k which is a lot. So, I've always had a thing for the Evo ever since they came out, and since I can't find an unmolested Evo VIII that isn't priced for almost as much as a new Evo X, I'm thinking of just getting a new Evo X while they are still made. Found a bare bones 2012 GSR for $34k, which I don't think its too bad, and with 0% apr for 36 months too. To those that own the car, what problems if any are you seeing? Any other cars you would recomend? I've looked at the STI, and dont like the car at all. The Golf R does nothing for me, as well as the Mustang GT. Won't touch a Hyundai. I don't care if the car is RWD, I have a bad weather car.

Thanks

02-21-2012 03:46 PM #2
      keeping the crv?
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

3. 02-21-2012 04:04 PM #3
      Buy one. It is one of the best sport sedans you can buy for under $40,000.

4. 02-21-2012 04:15 PM #4

buy his. its a so cal car. completely babied. 30k as it sits. running ethanol over 500 to the wheels. pm me if you want info. its not mine, but my friend's

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      02-21-2012 05:07 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by tedismynickname View Post

buy his. its a so cal car. completely babied. 30k as it sits. running ethanol over 500 to the wheels. pm me if you want info. its not mine, but my friend's
      Yeah, not for me. Altough clean, this car is the opposite of unmolested, and represents 99% of whats out there, hence why when it comes to Evo's, I'm buying new only

6. 02-21-2012 08:02 PM #6

More pics of this. Or links where I can fap to more details of it. Build thread perhaps?

7. Banned
      02-21-2012 08:07 PM #7

6k clutch dumps and highway street ricing included?

Don't get me wrong, I think that thing is beast, but with modded Evos you just don't know what has been done to them.

8. 02-21-2012 10:29 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      6k clutch dumps and highway street ricing included?

Don't get me wrong, I think that thing is beast, but with modded Evos you just don't know what has been done to them.
      .. You wouldn't know if a stock one was abused, either. He just needs to thoroughly inspect whatever he comes across.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      02-21-2012 10:45 PM #9

It's possible but whenever I read the words "completely babied......500 hp to the wheels" and see a car that looks like this one I have a hard time believing it.

Vehicles
      '05 Evo GSR, '10 RX350, '08 A4 3.2Q S-Line for sale
      02-23-2012 09:01 PM #10

Taking into account the cost of that Voltex bodykit, especially with the extra wide Cyber Evo flares, I'd be willing to bet the car was actually babied. Most of the Evo's that are modified like that are actually built for looks and aren't abused at all. There's well over $10k just in the body kit and wheels, maybe closer to $12K.
      '05 Evo GSR '08 A4 3.2Q S-Line '10 RX-350 /// Gone and dearly missed 06 Evo RS "Formula 409"--409awhp
      myFlickr

Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      02-21-2012 04:16 PM #11
      Owned a base '10 GSR (in Octane Blue) from Aug of 2010 thru Sep of 2011.

Performance wise, the car was a blast. The cons were fit and finish.

Nit picky things:
      *The cruise control operation was most closely associated with a used car of the early 90's. Push to operate and it would take a good 4 seconds to actually engage. Dealer wrote this off as normal operation

*The driver side seat bolster was wearing away at an alarming rate after 2000 miles. It was the alcantera like cloth interior (I had a base GSR). Could not see it holding up for very long.

*A sixth gear would have been a very nice plus on the car on the days when you are not thrashing it. A $30k permorance car should have the option of a sixth gear for the days when you need to cruise.

*Conversations in the cabin while cruising at freeway speeds would require a louder tone of voice. It was a noisy car.

*Doors felt very tinny when being opened/shut. Lacked substance. Not really sure of a better way to put it.

Mechanically the only problem I had with the car was the stock Panisonic battery crapping out after only 4 months. I don't blame the car for this though and other than that I never had any issues. FWIW, I sold it with 10,000 miles on the clock.

I loved the car, I just found myself using it as more of a daily driver rather than a performace AWD sport car. I knew what it was going in, but found myself 'over it' after a year.

MPG in the low to mid 20's if you drove coservatively. The AWD system was amazing in the snow.

The stock Yokohama's were somewhere around $400 a tire and are not winter tires. If you are in a snowy climate, have a spare set of winters. The brake rotors are massive through, so dont plan on using steelies.

If you are going to be daily driving the thing, I will tell you that it will get old within the first year.
      If you know that going into it and use it without any real high quality or comfort expectations, the car is a blast.
      Last edited by 03GTI4Me; 02-21-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      02-21-2012 04:22 PM #12
      I suggest you buy another BMW because that's what you liked and if you have a habit of selling new cars, why don't you get a used one and save money.
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      02-21-2012 04:55 PM #13
      Issues
      Some of the greatest issues with the Evolution X have be known to be some of the interior quality and fit and finish. Pretty much meaning that it develops a fair amount of rattles, squeaks, and noises over time despite not being as bad as the VIII or IX. Other than that, there have been some complaints about the 5 M/T being sometimes notchy (Although IIRC this was mostly corrected on '11+ cars) and the paint quality not being up to par, which people handle themselves with a 3M transparent bra. There was also an issue with one of the hoses not being properly clamped under the hood which was fixed under recall and some minor issue with the stitching on the Recaros (Pretty much get the leather ones instead of cloth).

'11+ Changes

That's basically it, other than that it's an overall reliable machine. All the tech is there from the JDM models including the AYC and aluminum 4B11T. The '11+ GSRs have the option for leather Recaros now and come with black tail lamps rather than the red ones. There was also a reflash by Mitsubishi giving the car closer to ~320/330 HP although it isn't quoted by Mitsubishi themselves, the 0-60 time has improved to 4.3 vs ~4.9 previously.

Verdict
      Hope this helps, I don't have to tell you about the steering feel, brakes, handling, acceleration, the car is top notch in that regard.
      Last edited by Tuneman7; 02-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      02-21-2012 05:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Eightysixturbo View Post
      I suggest you buy another BMW because that's what you liked and if you have a habit of selling new cars, why don't you get a used one and save money.
      I'd love another 135i. Can't justify the $41k and I'm not buying used. Its ironic, as I am in the used car business myself, and seeing what I see every day, the crap that comes in on trade is unbelievable... price be damned. So, yeah. No new 135i for now, and the Evo is on my bucket list.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll go test drive the car tomorrow.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo X (mine), PT Cruiser Turbo (hers)
      02-21-2012 04:53 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      Owned a base '10 GSR (in Octane Blue) from Aug of 2010 thru Sep of 2011.
      That is a real solid review! I have owned mine for a month and been researching for a while. A lot of what you mentioned are very valid issues that I ahve read others on the Evo forum talk about such as the need for a 6th, the loud cabin, the side bolster on the cloth and the mpg.

Personally, I bought the one with SSS packages so it has leather and additional sound dampening. My car is very quiet on the highway and the leather really makes the car's feeling of more upscale. I've been in two Evos with cloth and the difference is drastic. I do agree the car should have a 6th for cruising and that it should have a better mpg when you are driving the car easy. I also wish it had a couple more dumb features like black headliner and pillars, autodimming mirror with homelink (the MR has it not the GSR) and better visors (that's nitpicking).

The car though is awesome, very responsive, very balanced and very tight inside (at least mine is). It may not be 100% as good as a BMW in fit finish but its closer than before PLUS the awesome drivetrain and performance potential.

That being said, I don't know that I would recommend it over a 135i. The car has a lot of compromises and the 135i is a hell of a car. I am a Mitsubishi fanboy but do respect the 135i as an alternative that makes maybe a better daily. You might also consider a CPO 335i, too?

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      02-21-2012 06:58 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      I've looked at the STI, and dont like the car at all.
      Did you look at all generations?

HIDs.

Vehicles
      93 mustang gt, 04 Tahoe, 13 DRZ400SM, 04 yz250
      02-21-2012 07:15 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
      I actually drove 2 hours to them because they had my GSR $3k less than MSRP and got good trade-in value on our Prius.
      this was my favorite line of your review prius to evo=my hero

Vehicles
      2008 R32, 2002 A62.7T...Wifes 2006 Passat & 2008 Q7
      02-21-2012 07:25 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      x2

Vehicles
      2012 Evo X (mine), PT Cruiser Turbo (hers)
      02-21-2012 07:44 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      Its not as cool as it sounds. The Prius was my DD and my Eclipse GSX was my weekend toy. I decided the Evo will make a better long term toy while being a DD for the short term and private sold the GSX. I have sellers remorse on the GSX but it's not doable right now to have both cars.

The Prius is a badass DD though averaging 52 mpg with aggressive driving, 10k mile maintenance intervals, and 80k mile tires. The Evo get 24 mpg babying it, 3-5k mile maintenance intervals, and 12k mile tires.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      02-21-2012 08:36 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Did you look at all generations?

HIDs.
      Yeah, unless its a GC8 it's not happening, and I'm not dealing with a car that had an engine swap. I've had a WRX in the past, and frankly, there is too much wrong with them for me to want to bother again. The 2.5 is junk, cracked ring landings, a turbo 2 feet away from the ports, and a 6 speed that is geared completely wrong for the powerband of a 2.5. No thanks. On top of that, the EVO handles better from the factory.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      02-21-2012 09:06 PM #21
      EVO 8 or 9, please. The evo x sucks in the US.. The GSR with the 5 speed is terrible. Get a good ol' Evo 9 MR.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      02-21-2012 09:25 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
      EVO 8 or 9, please. The evo x sucks in the US.. The GSR with the 5 speed is terrible. Get a good ol' Evo 9 MR.
      I've read that the 6 speed on the IX MR is a real clunker. I think it uses the same casing as the 5 M/T and therefore overheats and can't deal with added power. Also, the VIII/IX were the cars that had some spec omitted in the U.S. market, not the X...

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      02-21-2012 09:39 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
      Yeah, I think you're on crack.

Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Boxster S, 1999 Jeep Wrangler
      02-21-2012 09:53 PM #24
      I say do it. Once these cars are gone after 2013, I think they'll be highly prized in the future. If I had any reason to own a ~40K sedan I'd be in an MR Touring.
      Last edited by Momus; 02-21-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 Evo X GSR w/SSS, '02 Infiniti I35 Grandpa Edition, '12 KIA Optima EX Premium
      02-21-2012 10:39 PM #25
      I have a 2010 with the SSS package. I only put around 7k miles on it in the two years that I've had it, but they were very enjoyable miles. I plan on taking it out more this summer. I have had no issues, but I do agree that it begs for a 6th gear on the highway. My only really complaint is the interior plastic scratches real easily. The seats are amazing and I have no signs of any wear issues that others complain about. Throw on a high flow cat, an exhaust and a Cobb AP and you will be in heaven

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      02-22-2012 11:21 AM #26
      Got a ride in one the other day. SO MUCH FUN.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter