Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 381

    Thread: We are going to get an updated shift program for our 2012 transmissions!

    1. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      03-03-2012 11:01 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      #4 should be :stop driving Tiguan like a Prius.

      German engineers are not dumb and they did exactly what needed to be done, adjusting it to an American driving style and to satisfy DOT. Lets face it, we have more turds behind a wheel here then anywhere else in the world with the exception of a few countries. The way people drive here is pathetic, they coast at 60mph in the left lane, wouldn't go a 1mph over the limit even if there is no traffic/cars and road conditions are safe, afraid to press that gas pedal, everyone cries for more MPG, etc... To sum it all up in a few words Americans = dull driving. Unfortunately people that make up the majority of that statistic do not participate in forums like this, they just drive and be lovin' it
      Got the same feeling in the past when I compared drivers in Europe to drivers in the U.S. But as far as I noticed things started to change significantly over here and drivers in the U.S. become more conscious about their choices given all the different brands out there. So I am optimistic for the future.

      And don't take me wrong. I have trust in German engineering and the cars they make, but I can't shake off the feeling that with the North American Tiguan things were most likely a little bit rushed because of MPG and competitive reasons.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 03-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.

    2. Member dk601h's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2011
      Location
      Portland
      Posts
      106
      Vehicles
      2010, Volkswagen, GTI
      03-03-2012 11:27 PM #52
      I agree! When i flog this SUV it really, really loves it.. I have been more than happy with its performance and it shows its true colors when you mash the pedal. That being said often times people just zone out and poke around to work or the store or what ever and the tiguan i guess goes into the same mode and barely puts any effort into it. But if you need the performance / power its ready and willing which i love. 4Motion FTW to.
      Cars need to have all wheel drive.

    3. 03-04-2012 06:42 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by AsianDude View Post
      Yes that is unfortunate that you did not get to drive the '12 before buying it.
      But like I had mentioned earlier, the issues don't really show up on test drives, unless it's a extended drive.
      I can tell you that if you do the test drive avoid the highway and kill the radio. When you take a short 5 mile route around the city the car will shift into 6th early and you'll feel the vibration. I am so glad I read this before buying because I would've forked up the money otherwise and been extremely unhappy. You think VWOA would care about current and potential buyers - the jury is out.

    4. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      03-30-2012 04:41 PM #54
      OK guys, here is the latest from VW. This is the message I received today:

      Dear Mr. T:

      Thank you for your e-mail inquiring about updates for the transmission for the 2012 Tiguan.

      At this time we are aware that Volkswagen recognized the dissatisfaction some of our customers have with the performance of the transmission for the 2012 Tiguan. And we are working on an adjustment that addresses this concern and allows the Tiguan to still comply with Federal emission standards.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2012
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      430
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/boost gauge and Scangauge
      04-01-2012 01:55 AM #55
      We can only hope...

    6. 04-01-2012 09:38 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by ElSupremo View Post
      We can only hope...
      I hope not. I bought a Tiguan in large measure because of how it shifts, and the great mileage that it gets. If you didn't like how it drives and shifts, you should have bought a different car...not bought a Tiguan and then whined about it.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-01-2012 03:15 PM #57
      That's funny, that you can't tell the difference between a transmission that upshifts correctly and one that shifts as fast as it can into 6th gear, which then makes the engine vibrate and bog down...you end up using more gas because the tranny downshifts when you put your foot in it to get out of the bogging condition...

    8. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-01-2012 05:09 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
      I hope not. I bought a Tiguan in large measure because of how it shifts, and the great mileage that it gets. If you didn't like how it drives and shifts, you should have bought a different car...not bought a Tiguan and then whined about it.

      Given that you are happy with how the Tiguan shifts currently, when the software update comes you can refuse to take it and continue to drive with the groaning engine at low RPM levels; nobody will force you to get the new programming.

      On the other hand, I prefer to take the software update as soon as it becomes available and look forward to driving a Tiguan with a transmission that shifts correctly.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 04-01-2012 at 08:47 PM.

    9. 04-01-2012 09:45 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      That's funny, that you can't tell the difference between a transmission that upshifts correctly and one that shifts as fast as it can into 6th gear, which then makes the engine vibrate and bog down...you end up using more gas because the tranny downshifts when you put your foot in it to get out of the bogging condition...
      Bradsvw,
      I'm sure that you know more about how much fuel the engine is utilizing than do VW's engineers. Yup...I'm sure that they programmed the transmission to shift in such a way as to make the least efficient use of fuel possible, to hurt their car's mileage and its marketability. That makes total sense. It would be totally illogical to think that the powertrain was designed to function exactly how it functions, making full use of the relative abundance of low-end torque that the turbocharged 4 cylinder makes. It would also be illogical to think that a driver such as yourself could be competent enough to manage how the car drives by doing something like adjusting how much pressure you're putting on the throttle pedal.

      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Given that you are happy with how the Tiguan shifts currently, when the software update comes you can refuse to take it and continue to drive with the groaning engine at low RPM levels; nobody will force you to get the new programming.

      On the other hand, I prefer to take the software update as soon as it becomes available and look forward to driving a Tiguan with a transmission that shifts correctly.
      Et tu, vw_nc_dude? Really? You don't think it "shifts correctly"? I'm amazed--I've never been on a forum with this many automotive engineers on it before. Nor have I ever been on a forum with so many people who bought $30-40k without having a clue how they drove. Seriously. Did you all sleep through the test drive?

      My engine doesn't groan at low RPMs. It shifts completely properly. If I want to hold a gear longer and accelerate faster, I can apply more throttle. If I'm driving normally, I can take advantage of the great fuel economy. It drives how it is supposed to drive. And if we lived in a perfect world where owners could know everything within any given PCM upgrade from the manufacturer, and pick and choose what changes they wanted, your suggestion would make total sense. But we don't live in that world.

      So instead, because you're an incompetent test driver, I'm supposed to accept changes to my car, because it drives the way it's supposed to drive? I'm supposed to fend off PCM updates because the car drives like it drove on the test drive? And you're normal for wanting the car to drive totally differently than it drove on the test drive and totally differently from how it was designed to function? Who's the one?

    10. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-01-2012 10:37 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
      Et tu, vw_nc_dude? Really? You don't think it "shifts correctly"? I'm amazed--I've never been on a forum with this many automotive engineers on it before. Nor have I ever been on a forum with so many people who bought $30-40k without having a clue how they drove. Seriously. Did you all sleep through the test drive?
      I have a PhD in a different engineering field. So I asked my relative who has a PhD in Automotive Engineering. He confirmed that it does not shift correctly since it is lugging back and forth between gears too often and that it is shifting too soon to higher gears. Just for his credentials besides his PhD in Automotive Engineering, he is working on a project for Mercedes Benz right now, so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

      During the test drive, we were fully awake and we noticed the shift pattern. We were told that the transmission will adapt. That feature of the transmission is also what is advertised as Dynamic Shift Program (DSP). So given the overall quality of the Tiguan, we expected that the adaptation will happen at some time but it did not after driving for almost 4K miles.

      So asking for a software update for the transmission is pretty normal. Being an engineer myself, trust me, before a product hits the field, you will never know if you designed it correctly or not. So I understand your trust in VW engineering but tweaking of systems after they hit the market happens all the time. We do it in my engineering field all the time, since customer satisfaction is top priority.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 04-01-2012 at 11:37 PM.

    11. 04-02-2012 10:43 AM #61
      I have heard some news from a friend in China who bought Tiguan 2012 and hate the shifting pattern. Several hundreds of augury Tiguan owners in China are getting together to sue VW and pressing Bureau of Quality Supervision China to pass a ban of sale on Tiguan 2012 due to potential safety hazard caused by new transmission programming. Probably a result of higher bumper-to-bumper driving ratio in China than other country, an unusually high proportion of owners are experienced CEL "return to dealer" warning under 10K and few of them already experienced engine surge.

      The sales of Tiguan 2012 in China almost double the total of United States and Canada, so this outta get VW's attention. VW group still denied transmission issue is a safety concern but promised to fix this “comfortable” issue is on their top agenda.

    12. 04-02-2012 12:31 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      I have a PhD in a different engineering field. So I asked my relative who has a PhD in Automotive Engineering. He confirmed that it does not shift correctly since it is lugging back and forth between gears too often and that it is shifting too soon to higher gears. Just for his credentials besides his PhD in Automotive Engineering, he is working on a project for Mercedes Benz right now, so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

      During the test drive, we were fully awake and we noticed the shift pattern. We were told that the transmission will adapt. That feature of the transmission is also what is advertised as Dynamic Shift Program (DSP). So given the overall quality of the Tiguan, we expected that the adaptation will happen at some time but it did not after driving for almost 4K miles.

      So asking for a software update for the transmission is pretty normal. Being an engineer myself, trust me, before a product hits the field, you will never know if you designed it correctly or not. So I understand your trust in VW engineering but tweaking of systems after they hit the market happens all the time. We do it in my engineering field all the time, since customer satisfaction is top priority.
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

      If your relative who has a PhD in Automotive Engineering can diagnose whether a powertrain is operating correctly with his ass alone, well...good luck on the project with MB. "But it feels right to me."

    13. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-02-2012 12:55 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

      If your relative who has a PhD in Automotive Engineering can diagnose whether a powertrain is operating correctly with his ass alone, well...good luck on the project with MB. "But it feels right to me."
      I will send you a PM. I do not want to spam this thread with personal messages.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 04-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.

    14. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,179
      04-02-2012 02:02 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

      If your relative who has a PhD in Automotive Engineering can diagnose whether a powertrain is operating correctly with his ass alone, well...good luck on the project with MB. "But it feels right to me."


      anyway, everyone is complaining about the premature
      shifting but has anyone observed the 12 tiguans at complete stops
      while at traffic lights (so, no stop signs stopping but actual
      longer duration stop at lights) that either the car feels
      like its gonna shut off or lunge forward? I've only experienced the
      feeling of what it's like when you let go of clutch but not have it in gear - like
      someone just bumped you in the back yesterday. the vehicle does not
      shut down. no CELs and no funky RPM behaviours.

      this is more bothersome that current tranny programming.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    15. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-02-2012 02:16 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      everyone is complaining about the premature
      shifting but has anyone observed the 12 tiguans at complete stops
      while at traffic lights (so, no stop signs stopping but actual
      longer duration stop at lights) that either the car feels
      like its gonna shut off or lunge forward? I've only experienced the
      feeling of what it's like when you let go of clutch but not have it in gear - like
      someone just bumped you in the back yesterday. the vehicle does not
      shut down. no CELs and no funky RPM behaviours.

      this is more bothersome that current tranny programming.
      Thanks for the heads up. Didn't notice that but will be careful from now on. If that's indeed true then it is really more bothersome.

    16. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,179
      04-02-2012 02:37 PM #66
      thanks.

      the hitting from behind feeling was just yesterday.

      but within the last week, i've been more sensitive to the feeling at the stop lights that the car will sometimes feel like either it will shut off - i've only been in a prius a couple of times so when those things come to a stop, the prius just gets all quiet and feels like it turned off - or in some instances, although my foot is on the brake firmly, but i wouldn't say all the way down to the floor and the car is at a complete stop, it sometimes feels like it is ready to lunge forward. it's a very, very quick feeling. but it's there. and it happens at least each day that i drive it - not at all stops though but definitely at the longer duration traffic light stops.

      all while in Drive mode. no apparent noises that come with.

      car has only been fed 93 octane.

      Last edited by garethusa; 04-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2007
      Location
      Texas, USA
      Posts
      2,069
      04-02-2012 06:12 PM #67
      Anybody try this on a '12 yet to se eif it helps the trans behaviour?
      There is a money back guarantee

      http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel

    18. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-03-2012 03:44 PM #68
      Good news for the 2012 Tiguan owners in Canada. The below message is from VW of Canada. Fingers crossed that we in the US get this software update as well.

      Good afternoon,

      The software will be available at our dealerships within the next 2-3 weeks.

      Regards,

      Julie Zayac
      Customer Service Manager
      Directrice du Service à la Clientèle

      Volkswagen Group Canada
      777 Bayly St. W
      Ajax, ON L1S 7G7

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-03-2012 09:25 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Good news for the 2012 Tiguan owners in Canada. The below message is from VW of Canada. Fingers crossed that we in the US get this software update as well.

      Good afternoon,

      The software will be available at our dealerships within the next 2-3 weeks.

      Regards,

      Julie Zayac
      Customer Service Manager
      Directrice du Service à la Clientèle

      Volkswagen Group Canada
      777 Bayly St. W
      Ajax, ON L1S 7G7
      Great news!! Thanks for the update...

    20. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-05-2012 01:44 PM #70
      Based on the info we have from VW of Canada, I asked VW of America if there is a time estimate for the transmission update for U.S. customers. Here is the info I got:

      Dear Mr. T:

      Thank you for your e-mail reply.

      I understand Volkswagen of Canada has provided you with details regarding a possible upcoming transmission update for the Tiguan. I regret information such as the details Volkswagen of Canada provided to you is not made available to the Volkswagen of America’s Customer CARE Center.

      As stated in my previous e-mail, we are aware that Volkswagen is working on an adjustment for the transmission. When additional details are available they will be provided to our dealers. I encourage you to remain in contact with your local Volkswagen dealer.

    21. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-16-2012 02:49 PM #71
      Update:

      I finally got my feedback from the dealer today. He said that at this time there is no TSB for the transmission update. However, he also told me that when I take the Tiguan to them that they can hook up the car to the computer and that they can call tech-line to see if there is any update. So there is a possibility that there is a software update for us via tech-line as there is for owners in Canada.

      I am pretty much swamped for the near future and will not be able to take the car to the dealer. If anyone of you guys have an upcoming service appointment and can try to see if their dealer is willing to hook up their cars to the computer and check with tech-line and report back, that would be great.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2005
      Posts
      177
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      04-17-2012 06:50 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawfarm View Post
      Bradsvw,
      I'm sure that you know more about how much fuel the engine is utilizing than do VW's engineers. Yup...I'm sure that they programmed the transmission to shift in such a way as to make the least efficient use of fuel possible, to hurt their car's mileage and its marketability. That makes total sense. It would be totally illogical to think that the powertrain was designed to function exactly how it functions, making full use of the relative abundance of low-end torque that the turbocharged 4 cylinder makes. It would also be illogical to think that a driver such as yourself could be competent enough to manage how the car drives by doing something like adjusting how much pressure you're putting on the throttle pedal.

      Et tu, vw_nc_dude? Really? You don't think it "shifts correctly"? I'm amazed--I've never been on a forum with this many automotive engineers on it before. Nor have I ever been on a forum with so many people who bought $30-40k without having a clue how they drove. Seriously. Did you all sleep through the test drive?

      My engine doesn't groan at low RPMs. It shifts completely properly. If I want to hold a gear longer and accelerate faster, I can apply more throttle. If I'm driving normally, I can take advantage of the great fuel economy. It drives how it is supposed to drive. And if we lived in a perfect world where owners could know everything within any given PCM upgrade from the manufacturer, and pick and choose what changes they wanted, your suggestion would make total sense. But we don't live in that world.

      So instead, because you're an incompetent test driver, I'm supposed to accept changes to my car, because it drives the way it's supposed to drive? I'm supposed to fend off PCM updates because the car drives like it drove on the test drive? And you're normal for wanting the car to drive totally differently than it drove on the test drive and totally differently from how it was designed to function? Who's the one?
      LawFarm, you're an idiot plain and simple. You clearly don't know **** about cars, and you need to listen to yourself for a second. You're claiming that we all slept during the test drives, yet you're the only one that is claiming the car drives and shifts normally... Sounds like YOU may be the problem sir, NOT all of us... You do know that automobile manufacturers make mistakes all the time, right? They're called "recalls" My wife had at least 3 recalls on her '08 Mini S only a month after she bought it in '08, two of which could've caused serious economic backlashes to BMW if they hadn't addressed them. Oh, but I guess that would be totally illogical for them to do something like that, right??? Get your head out of your ass and look around for a second...

      There is at least 2 different threads on this forum (with multiple pages, mind you) of people complaining about the same thing. There is clearly something wrong with the transmission program in the '12's, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or PHD - no offense guys) to realize that VW changed the program from the '11's to shift earlier and stay in lower gears for better fuel economy (as they have been clearly marketing). Makes total sense actually. Unfortunately they probably didn't study this "tweak" long enough, and here we are today. If this wasn't the case then why would VW of Canada have already acknowledged the problem and be preparing to issue a TSB?? They would've told us all to piss off if they hadn't confirmed the problem for themselves

      And regarding your comment about the "abundant low-end torque" of the 2.0... This isn't a 3L V6 we're talking about here, you know that right? Even still, there's not a 3L V6 on the planet w/o a 150-shot of N02 that has an "abundance of torque" at 1,200, especially a medium displacement 4-cylinder engine with a turbo choking up the exhaust. You do know what "spool" is, right?

      So sit back, shut the fvck up, and keep driving your Tiguan the way it is until you rattle all the bolts loose from the engine bay... That way you can proudly say that you "fended off PCM updates because the car drives like it drove on the test drive!"

      Dumbass
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-17-2012 08:47 PM #73
      BITRBO...you are correct and hit the nail on the head...he prolly shoots himself in the foot every day in court That's what I'm thinking anyway

    24. 04-17-2012 10:00 PM #74
      I drove two of these and both rattled - nice feature.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2005
      Posts
      177
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      04-19-2012 10:14 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      BITRBO...you are correct and hit the nail on the head...he prolly shoots himself in the foot every day in court That's what I'm thinking anyway
      Yeah, I hope for his sake (and that of his clients) that he's really not a lawyer, cause he wouldn't notice glaring evidence if it landed in his lap... I mean, if you've got several multi-page threads on the same forum with dozens of people (who know/understand cars, mind you) all complaining about the same problem; basic statistics (read: common sense) would tell you there is a problem.

      /thread
      Last edited by BITRBO; 04-19-2012 at 10:18 AM.
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

    Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •