Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Results 106 to 140 of 377

    Thread: We are going to get an updated shift program for our 2012 transmissions!

    1. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-30-2012 09:51 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      Could you possibly check with your dealer and maybe get the TSB # for me? They would definitely have to look into it then...thx
      Sure, I will call them tomorrow anyway to ask about something else. Let's see if I can get the TSB number as well. I let you know if I get that info.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-30-2012 09:57 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Sure, I will call them tomorrow anyway to ask about something else. Let's see if I can get the TSB number as well. I let you know if I get that info.
      Thanks vw_nc_dude...appreciate it

    3. Member NZTIGUAN's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2008
      Location
      Alexandra, New Zealand
      Posts
      2,518
      Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan 07 Suzi Swift
      04-30-2012 11:51 PM #108
      According to another forum the TSB is 01 12 13

      Cheers
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack
      http://www.alexandra.co.nz/

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-01-2012 12:44 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by NZTIGUAN View Post
      According to another forum the TSB is 01 12 13

      Cheers
      Thanks Derek!

    5. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-02-2012 07:47 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      Could you possibly check with your dealer and maybe get the TSB # for me? They would definitely have to look into it then...thx
      I finally was able to get the receipt for my transmission service but it only says "done via tele-diagnosis" and there is no TSB number

      Did you have any luck with TSB # 01 12 13 that was reported here and by hawaiivr6? I wonder if that TSB is for another TCM flash update and not related to the shift programming.

    6. Member hawaiivr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2008
      Location
      Hawaii, Kailua
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan / 00 GTI VR6 / 89 GTI & Jetta
      05-02-2012 08:32 PM #111
      I just called my Tech at the the dealer and he said it was;
      TSB 011213-2012810

      But he also said that a VIN search by your tech will show this TSB.

      The description is "hesitation to shift at low speed(or rpm, I cant remember?)"

      I guess this is what VW thinks the problem is. So that is probably why I did not notice a change of shift points, but rather, less hesitation to shift which eliminated the resonating bog. Maybe , I guess?

      Wouldn't it be awesome if we could program our own transmission!!!
      Just to be able to adjust the shift points to my own preference would be a dream.

    7. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-02-2012 08:38 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by hawaiivr6 View Post
      I just called my Tech at the the dealer and he said it was;
      TSB 011213-2012810

      But he also said that a VIN search by your tech will show this TSB.

      The description is "hesitation to shift at low speed(or rpm, I cant remember?)"

      I guess this is what VW thinks the problem is. So that is probably why I did not notice a change of shift points, but rather, less hesitation to shift which eliminated the resonating bog. Maybe , I guess?

      Wouldn't it be awesome if we could program our own transmission!!!
      Just to be able to adjust the shift points to my own preference would be a dream.
      Yes, I actually started a piece of transmission code before that I am willing to give VW for free:

      if speed < 45 mph
      Do not shift to 6th gear
      end


    8. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-02-2012 08:50 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Yes, I actually started a piece of transmission code before that I am willing to give VW for free:

      if speed < 45 mph
      Do not shift to 6th gear
      end

      i see you've modified the code from the original code you first created.

      hmmm, sounds like you could work for vw programming department
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    9. Member artronics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2012
      Location
      Toronto, (NOT the capital of) Canada
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      05-02-2012 09:12 PM #114
      nc dude, you may be on to something.
      My mechanic (well, the VW dude that I spoke with after getting the update) said exactly that. They changed the shift point so that it doesn't shift into 6th at 60Km/h, it shifts at 80 instead.
      And that's what I've been experiencing.

    10. Member hawaiivr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2008
      Location
      Hawaii, Kailua
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan / 00 GTI VR6 / 89 GTI & Jetta
      05-02-2012 09:15 PM #115
      IF you have the chance.
      Can you guys try to see when your transmission will shift into 5th?

      I want to know if it is just my car or are the others like it.

      The condition is in (D )on a flat road-- slowly approach 27mph and maintain, are you in 5th?
      If not, repeat to 28 and so on.

      One way to check is to pop it in tiptronic and it will quickly downshift to 4th, thus you were in 5th.
      Even tiptronic knows only an idiot would use 5th at that speed.

      My Tiguan will shift and stay in 5th at 27mph.

      if speed < 35mph
      Do not shift to 5th gear
      end

    11. Member hawaiivr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2008
      Location
      Hawaii, Kailua
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan / 00 GTI VR6 / 89 GTI & Jetta
      05-02-2012 09:18 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      nc dude, you may be on to something.
      My mechanic (well, the VW dude that I spoke with after getting the update) said exactly that. They changed the shift point so that it doesn't shift into 6th at 60Km/h, it shifts at 80 instead.
      And that's what I've been experiencing.
      So are we saying that there are 2 separate updates?

      One for Shift points and one for hesitation?

    12. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-02-2012 09:23 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      nc dude, you may be on to something.
      My mechanic (well, the VW dude that I spoke with after getting the update) said exactly that. They changed the shift point so that it doesn't shift into 6th at 60Km/h, it shifts at 80 instead.
      And that's what I've been experiencing.
      So for us USA folks (who do not like the metric system like the rest of the World) it should shift to 6th at 50 mph

      However, it's not the case, even with the update. I can get it still to 6th at around 40 mph (roughly 64 Km/h). Might be that you up North got a slightly better update

      But still, even with the current update I have, at least I do not have any groaning anymore and it also seems to downshift much quicker with a lighter touch on the gas paddle. I am satisfied so far.

      For those who did not get the update yet, I would highly recommend it.

      Friends don't let friends drive with sluggish transmissions
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.

    13. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-02-2012 09:29 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      i see you've modified the code from the original code you first created.

      hmmm, sounds like you could work for vw programming department
      Yeah, I am making the code adaptive and then call it DSP (Dynamic Shift Programming). The customers will love it

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-02-2012 10:05 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      I finally was able to get the receipt for my transmission service but it only says "done via tele-diagnosis" and there is no TSB number

      Did you have any luck with TSB # 01 12 13 that was reported here and by hawaiivr6? I wonder if that TSB is for another TCM flash update and not related to the shift programming.
      I'm supposed to stop by my dealer on Fri am (8am) so they can pull the tranny software onto a flash drive and send to VW who is asking for it?? Very confused, but I'll give it to them and see what happens...I also gave them the above TSB #

    15. Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2011
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      34
      Vehicles
      2009 A3 / 2011 Tiguan: both FWD/STD
      05-03-2012 01:21 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      I'm anti-DSG but I will join the crusade for the Tiguan TDI!

      One of the reasons why I opted for the current Tiguan automatic was because it wasn't DSG. it's one of the reasons why I didn't get another Jetta Wagon TDI because they were DSG
      I agree entirely.

      That's what I had prior to my FWD STD Tiguan. DSG is a nice idea: quick shifts at low RPMs - but at around 50,000 KMs at highway speeds the shifts were getting clunkier and noisier. My concern was at some point, despite the extended warranty that VW Canada gave on the DSG transmission to address concerns, I don't want to drive domestic rental cars while my car is in the shop. If something sounds sick and is a complex mechanism then my internal warning lights turn on. I'd likely still have the 2009 JSW if I had chosen standard. There is no such thing as an Automatic that will please everyone. I like driving in as low a gear as possible: but I don't want to have to slam my foot on the gas pedal to convince the car to drive in a gear that will put the RPM in the ideal range to optimize torque. My 2 cents: DSG is no panacea and be careful what you wish for.

      My ideal car: 2013 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, STD, Leather, Moonroof - I estimate 36 MPG
      (I get 30 MPG on my current 2011 STD/FWD Tiguan - though mostly highway)

      JP

    16. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-03-2012 06:47 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by hawaiivr6 View Post
      IF you have the chance.
      Can you guys try to see when your transmission will shift into 5th?

      I want to know if it is just my car or are the others like it.

      The condition is in (D )on a flat road-- slowly approach 27mph and maintain, are you in 5th?
      If not, repeat to 28 and so on.

      One way to check is to pop it in tiptronic and it will quickly downshift to 4th, thus you were in 5th.
      Even tiptronic knows only an idiot would use 5th at that speed.

      My Tiguan will shift and stay in 5th at 27mph.

      if speed < 35mph
      Do not shift to 5th gear
      end
      I think you will find your answer on page 211 of the USA Version of the Tiguan Owners Manual under Fast Shifting in the Efficient Driving section.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    17. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-03-2012 12:35 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Parkerjon View Post
      I agree entirely.

      That's what I had prior to my FWD STD Tiguan. DSG is a nice idea: quick shifts at low RPMs - but at around 50,000 KMs at highway speeds the shifts were getting clunkier and noisier. My concern was at some point, despite the extended warranty that VW Canada gave on the DSG transmission to address concerns, I don't want to drive domestic rental cars while my car is in the shop. If something sounds sick and is a complex mechanism then my internal warning lights turn on. I'd likely still have the 2009 JSW if I had chosen standard. There is no such thing as an Automatic that will please everyone. I like driving in as low a gear as possible: but I don't want to have to slam my foot on the gas pedal to convince the car to drive in a gear that will put the RPM in the ideal range to optimize torque. My 2 cents: DSG is no panacea and be careful what you wish for.

      My ideal car: 2013 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, STD, Leather, Moonroof - I estimate 36 MPG
      (I get 30 MPG on my current 2011 STD/FWD Tiguan - though mostly highway)
      JP
      I that is my ideal Tiguan too! I can do without 4Mo but if the price is right, I'll take it.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    18. Member artronics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2012
      Location
      Toronto, (NOT the capital of) Canada
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      05-03-2012 12:42 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      So for us USA folks (who do not like the metric system like the rest of the World) it should shift to 6th at 50 mph

      However, it's not the case, even with the update. I can get it still to 6th at around 40 mph (roughly 64 Km/h). Might be that you up North got a slightly better update

      But still, even with the current update I have, at least I do not have any groaning anymore and it also seems to downshift much quicker with a lighter touch on the gas paddle. I am satisfied so far.

      For those who did not get the update yet, I would highly recommend it.

      Friends don't let friends drive with sluggish transmissions
      Actually, it does seem to shift sooner when accelerating lightly. A firmer acceleration will make it go up to 80 And a hard acceleration will make it rev up to about 3000 and then flooring it will make it redline.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 02:30 PM #124
      So Dealer did tranny s/w update this am on my Tig...my 1st impression is it works great!! I'll know more on the drive home and will report back...extremely satisfied right now

      Here is the TSB# 2029206

      To each his own, but if it were me (and it was), I would get this done in a heartbeat!

      Brad

    20. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-04-2012 02:32 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      So Dealer did tranny s/w update this am on my Tig...my 1st impression is it works great!! I'll know more on the drive home and will report back...extremely satisfied right now

      Here is the TSB# 2029206

      To each his own, but if it were me (and it was), I would get this done in a heartbeat!

      Brad
      Glad it worked out! So far I have been enjoying driving the car a lot. It's like we got a completely new car.

      As you, I recommend getting this done. As I said before: "Friends don't let friends drive with sluggish transmissions!"

    21. 05-04-2012 03:42 PM #126
      wife's got a new '12 with about 300 miles on it. Shouldo we get this update before or after the break in period?

      Thanks

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 03:49 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by questnap View Post
      wife's got a new '12 with about 300 miles on it. Shouldo we get this update before or after the break in period?

      Thanks
      I'd get it done soon as you can...you don't want it breaking in with the tranny going into 6th gear as soon as it can (at low speeds)...certainly not very good for the engine during the break in period, I wouldn't think...

    23. 05-04-2012 04:05 PM #128
      ok, so pretty much just make an appointment and tell them the TSB #?

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 04:39 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by questnap View Post
      ok, so pretty much just make an appointment and tell them the TSB #?
      You need to explain to them, the problem you are experiencing with the shifting of your tranny...do you have the upshift problem where your tranny upshifts too quickly into 5th & 6th gear? If not, your dealer will probably not want to do this upgrade, even if you give them the TSB #...they are going to have to verify that this problem exists on your specific Tiguan...

    25. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-04-2012 07:22 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      I'd get it done soon as you can...you don't want it breaking in with the tranny going into 6th gear as soon as it can (at low speeds)...certainly not very good for the engine during the break in period, I wouldn't think...
      i'm trying to understand what this update does.

      from those who have had the update (vw_nc_dude, ohio tiguan, some in canada, bradsvw), it sounds like the Tiguan still shifts to 6th gear at the same mph that it did before.

      so, can someone confirm what the shift points were to begin with and where they are now after the update? maybe the shift points changed between 2nd through 5th gears but still gets to 6th at 36/40mph?
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    26. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-04-2012 07:30 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      So Dealer did tranny s/w update this am on my Tig...my 1st impression is it works great!! I'll know more on the drive home and will report back...extremely satisfied right now

      Here is the TSB# 2029206

      To each his own, but if it were me (and it was), I would get this done in a heartbeat!

      Brad
      so if you took your tiguan out on a test drive before you bought it, how much time did you spend driving the vehicle on your tiguan? did you buy the tiguan you test drove, or got an entirely different tiguan that you did or did not test drive? i know some say they test drove the 2011 and bought the 2012 based on that experience. but i am interested in those who actually test drove the 2012 and bought a 2012 and had a positive test driving experience but not ownership experience solely due to the responsiveness/feel of the transmission behavior.

      its odd that those who got the update immediately report a difference after the software update on how responsive the car is in such a short amount of time - all have commented how amazing it is just driving it after their update.

      if you test drove your vehicle to begin with, wouldn't you have noticed that it was not driving/shifting correctly on test drive and thus walked away in the same amount of time?

      it would be interesting if VW simply created a placebo update.

      does anyone have any official written documentation from VW about what this software/transmission shift update actually does yet?
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    27. 05-04-2012 08:33 PM #132
      My test drive was short and I didn't get stuck at constant speeds during it.

      I had 2800 miles on my SEL when I had the update done.

      It is not a placebo.

      I described exactly what the difference is in my post in the other thread; read it if you want my description.
      2012 Tiguan SEL, FWD, White Gold

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 10:09 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      so if you took your tiguan out on a test drive before you bought it, how much time did you spend driving the vehicle on your tiguan? did you buy the tiguan you test drove, or got an entirely different tiguan that you did or did not test drive? i know some say they test drove the 2011 and bought the 2012 based on that experience. but i am interested in those who actually test drove the 2012 and bought a 2012 and had a positive test driving experience but not ownership experience solely due to the responsiveness/feel of the transmission behavior.

      its odd that those who got the update immediately report a difference after the software update on how responsive the car is in such a short amount of time - all have commented how amazing it is just driving it after their update.

      if you test drove your vehicle to begin with, wouldn't you have noticed that it was not driving/shifting correctly on test drive and thus walked away in the same amount of time?

      it would be interesting if VW simply created a placebo update.

      does anyone have any official written documentation from VW about what this software/transmission shift update actually does yet?
      You know, I'm really not too sure what your problem is, but what I do know is I don't owe you a thing, let alone an explanation...

      Get the update, or don't get the update, it's really up to you...you're the only one questioning this update here so it's really your problem to deal with...everyone else that got the update is feeling pretty good right about now...so its really just you

    29. 05-04-2012 10:10 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      You need to explain to them, the problem you are experiencing with the shifting of your tranny...do you have the upshift problem where your tranny upshifts too quickly into 5th & 6th gear? If not, your dealer will probably not want to do this upgrade, even if you give them the TSB #...they are going to have to verify that this problem exists on your specific Tiguan...
      Yup, will explain to them that it shifts to 6th gear when we are doing 30 mph and it is slow to down ****.. there is a lag in between where its confused what to do next.

      Thank you ALL

    30. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-04-2012 11:49 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by questnap View Post
      Yup, will explain to them that it shifts to 6th gear when we are doing 30 mph and it is slow to down ****.. there is a lag in between where its confused what to do next.

      Thank you ALL
      Yep, that's exactly the problem. Before my update, it could go to 6th at around 35mph and it was jumping all around (I think between 5th and 6th) with groaning noise. Now after the update, I still can get it to 6th at 40mph, but the groaning and shifting around has disappeared. So it is really not a placebo update I can assure you. The shift points have changed slightly in my opinion (and hence mpg numbers are most likely the same as before), but the transmission seems to be not jumping in an erratic fashion anymore and the groaning is gone.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.

    31. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-04-2012 11:54 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      You know, I'm really not too sure what your problem is, but what I do know is I don't owe you a thing, let alone an explanation...

      Get the update, or don't get the update, it's really up to you...you're the only one questioning this update here so it's really your problem to deal with...everyone else that got the update is feeling pretty good right about now...so its really just you
      i didn't ask you for anything bradsvw.

      well, not entirely true. there is another post about what your mpg effect may be after about a month post-update. if you can feedback on that that would be idea.

      the update being new, there are many questions of course - regardless if one gets it or not. the only thing we all have in common right now is that we all purchased a 2012 tiguan.

      the consensus thus far for those who have received it is that it has improved their experience of their vehicle use. great.

      but at the same time, the update has not eliminated 100% the quick shifting (some posts indicate car shifts still at around late 30s mph to 6th) or the groaning. some still experience vibration. will this last? there's been commenting about whether or not the reprogramming starts the vehicle transmission from scratch learning how the driver "drives" as to adapt to that style. what other effects may this have on the vehicle in the long-term, if any?

      there appears to be two TSB numbers or two operations being performed during this update. what exactly are they for. who knows, maybe there will be another update later.

      i'm not interested in getting this done now as i don't feel it is necessary. however, if there is an improvement in mpg or efficiency of the vehicle, then it would be something to consider.

      ****

      didn't mean to imply or impose any ill-sentiment in my generalizations towards you or another fellow tiguan owner.

      i sincerely want us all to enjoy our expensive VWs! i'm glad you now can.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    32. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-05-2012 12:06 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Yep, that's exactly the problem. Before my update, it could go to 6th at around 35mph and it was jumping all around (I think between 5th and 6th) with groaning noise. Now after the update, I still can get it to 6th at 40mph, but the groaning and shifting around has disappeared. So it is really not a placebo update I can assure you. The shift points have changed slightly in my opinion (and hence mpg numbers are most likely the same as before), but the transmission seems to be not jumping in an erratic fashion anymore and the groaning is gone.
      that's great vw_nc_dude.

      so initially you had a groan post-update but it took a day or two to eliminate. i know i have a light groan but coming from a diesel VW, it's way quieter than the diesel so it doesn't bother me and it's a quick transition while in city driving. i don't feel that "hunting" for gears as i think you are describing with the jumpning in erratic fashion.

      i'm really interested in your mpgs.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    33. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      05-05-2012 12:19 AM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      that's great vw_nc_dude.

      so initially you had a groan post-update but it took a day or two to eliminate. i know i have a light groan but coming from a diesel VW, it's way quieter than the diesel so it doesn't bother me and it's a quick transition while in city driving. i don't feel that "hunting" for gears as i think you are describing with the jumpning in erratic fashion.

      i'm really interested in your mpgs.
      Frankly speaking, mpg numbers right now are my secondary concern and I am not really measuring it precisely. But after my last fill-up it seems like my fuel needle is moving by roughly the same amount as before with mixed driving. So I do not think that there is a significant (if any) change in consumption with the update. As I said before, I do not think that the shifting points have shifted dramatically.

      For the groaning noise comments I made earlier, I think I should have been clearer on that. Before the update, I had groaning plus vibrations and also the constant "hunting" for gears. After the update, there can be a minor (not very serious) groaning when I get to 6th at 40 mph, but the vibrations and the "hunting" for gears have disappeared.

      So far I am happy with the update and it has been a huge improvement in driving experience for me. The update could have been a little bit better, but I am not picky right now and I am glad that it is much better than before.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-05-2012 09:01 AM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      i didn't ask you for anything bradsvw.

      well, not entirely true. there is another post about what your mpg effect may be after about a month post-update. if you can feedback on that that would be idea.

      the update being new, there are many questions of course - regardless if one gets it or not. the only thing we all have in common right now is that we all purchased a 2012 tiguan.

      the consensus thus far for those who have received it is that it has improved their experience of their vehicle use. great.

      but at the same time, the update has not eliminated 100% the quick shifting (some posts indicate car shifts still at around late 30s mph to 6th) or the groaning. some still experience vibration. will this last? there's been commenting about whether or not the reprogramming starts the vehicle transmission from scratch learning how the driver "drives" as to adapt to that style. what other effects may this have on the vehicle in the long-term, if any?

      there appears to be two TSB numbers or two operations being performed during this update. what exactly are they for. who knows, maybe there will be another update later.

      i'm not interested in getting this done now as i don't feel it is necessary. however, if there is an improvement in mpg or efficiency of the vehicle, then it would be something to consider.

      ****

      didn't mean to imply or impose any ill-sentiment in my generalizations towards you or another fellow tiguan owner.

      i sincerely want us all to enjoy our expensive VWs! i'm glad you now can.
      The ill-sentiment, as you put it, comes from the fact that you are questioning our perception of how the tranny shifts before the update as well as after the update...

      You are also alluding to the fact that we are all IMAGINING the initial shifting problems, as well as the effect of the S/W update in correcting the shifting problems, i.e. exactly how much correction the update provided...

      Here's a question for you: If you wanted the highest fuel mileage possible, why wouldn't you have purchased a hybrid suv which certainly would have higher mpg #'s, in general, than the Tig?

      You're really agonizing over this...let it go...

    35. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,167
      05-05-2012 11:06 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      The ill-sentiment, as you put it, comes from the fact that you are questioning our perception of how the tranny shifts before the update as well as after the update...

      You are also alluding to the fact that we are all IMAGINING the initial shifting problems, as well as the effect of the S/W update in correcting the shifting problems, i.e. exactly how much correction the update provided...

      Here's a question for you: If you wanted the highest fuel mileage possible, why wouldn't you have purchased a hybrid suv which certainly would have higher mpg #'s, in general, than the Tig?

      You're really agonizing over this...let it go...
      "agonizing" is your perception. i am curious that's all. i don't lose sleep over this as probably you have over how your car has behaved. hopefully you will get some rest now and enjoyment out of your Tiguan.

      as for your question, i'm not interested in hybrids. if i was, i would be driving one. i'm not interested in DSG either else i would have really purchased a jetta wagon TDI DSG automatic. i wanted a small SUV and it came down to the CRV and Tiguan. 22/27 was an acceptable fuel economy rating. i test drove the 2012 for over 1/2 an hour in all kinds of traffic as well as a used 2010 based on what peoples reactions were to their 2012s shifting complaints. test drove the CRV for just as long. i bought the 2012 VW. if i wanted something lower in fuel economy, i would have purchased a Jeep Wrangler.

      i think you are imagining what I am alluding to though. you can go back and read what i wrote and study it or just let it go.

      at least vw_nc_dude has been able to do a good job at expressing what his experience after the update is and has been really good at providing feedback. i appreciate that.

      there are many people who are looking to make an informed decision. we are relying on those who have had the update already done. including you.

      happy driving.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •