Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: We are going to get an updated shift program for our 2012 transmissions!

1. 05-04-2012 03:42 PM #126
      wife's got a new '12 with about 300 miles on it. Shouldo we get this update before or after the break in period?

Thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 03:49 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by questnap View Post
      wife's got a new '12 with about 300 miles on it. Shouldo we get this update before or after the break in period?

Thanks
      I'd get it done soon as you can...you don't want it breaking in with the tranny going into 6th gear as soon as it can (at low speeds)...certainly not very good for the engine during the break in period, I wouldn't think...

3. 05-04-2012 04:05 PM #128
      ok, so pretty much just make an appointment and tell them the TSB #?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 04:39 PM #129
      ok, so pretty much just make an appointment and tell them the TSB #?
      You need to explain to them, the problem you are experiencing with the shifting of your tranny...do you have the upshift problem where your tranny upshifts too quickly into 5th & 6th gear? If not, your dealer will probably not want to do this upgrade, even if you give them the TSB #...they are going to have to verify that this problem exists on your specific Tiguan...

05-04-2012 07:22 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      I'd get it done soon as you can...you don't want it breaking in with the tranny going into 6th gear as soon as it can (at low speeds)...certainly not very good for the engine during the break in period, I wouldn't think...
      i'm trying to understand what this update does.

from those who have had the update (vw_nc_dude, ohio tiguan, some in canada, bradsvw), it sounds like the Tiguan still shifts to 6th gear at the same mph that it did before.

so, can someone confirm what the shift points were to begin with and where they are now after the update? maybe the shift points changed between 2nd through 5th gears but still gets to 6th at 36/40mph?
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

05-04-2012 07:30 PM #131
      So Dealer did tranny s/w update this am on my Tig...my 1st impression is it works great!! I'll know more on the drive home and will report back...extremely satisfied right now

Here is the TSB# 2029206

To each his own, but if it were me (and it was), I would get this done in a heartbeat!

Brad
      so if you took your tiguan out on a test drive before you bought it, how much time did you spend driving the vehicle on your tiguan? did you buy the tiguan you test drove, or got an entirely different tiguan that you did or did not test drive? i know some say they test drove the 2011 and bought the 2012 based on that experience. but i am interested in those who actually test drove the 2012 and bought a 2012 and had a positive test driving experience but not ownership experience solely due to the responsiveness/feel of the transmission behavior.

its odd that those who got the update immediately report a difference after the software update on how responsive the car is in such a short amount of time - all have commented how amazing it is just driving it after their update.

if you test drove your vehicle to begin with, wouldn't you have noticed that it was not driving/shifting correctly on test drive and thus walked away in the same amount of time?

it would be interesting if VW simply created a placebo update.

does anyone have any official written documentation from VW about what this software/transmission shift update actually does yet?
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

7. 05-04-2012 08:33 PM #132
      My test drive was short and I didn't get stuck at constant speeds during it.

I had 2800 miles on my SEL when I had the update done.

It is not a placebo.

I described exactly what the difference is in my post in the other thread; read it if you want my description.
      2012 Tiguan SEL, FWD, White Gold

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-04-2012 10:09 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      so if you took your tiguan out on a test drive before you bought it, how much time did you spend driving the vehicle on your tiguan? did you buy the tiguan you test drove, or got an entirely different tiguan that you did or did not test drive? i know some say they test drove the 2011 and bought the 2012 based on that experience. but i am interested in those who actually test drove the 2012 and bought a 2012 and had a positive test driving experience but not ownership experience solely due to the responsiveness/feel of the transmission behavior.

its odd that those who got the update immediately report a difference after the software update on how responsive the car is in such a short amount of time - all have commented how amazing it is just driving it after their update.

if you test drove your vehicle to begin with, wouldn't you have noticed that it was not driving/shifting correctly on test drive and thus walked away in the same amount of time?

it would be interesting if VW simply created a placebo update.

does anyone have any official written documentation from VW about what this software/transmission shift update actually does yet?
      You know, I'm really not too sure what your problem is, but what I do know is I don't owe you a thing, let alone an explanation...

Get the update, or don't get the update, it's really up to you...you're the only one questioning this update here so it's really your problem to deal with...everyone else that got the update is feeling pretty good right about now...so its really just you

9. 05-04-2012 10:10 PM #134
      You need to explain to them, the problem you are experiencing with the shifting of your tranny...do you have the upshift problem where your tranny upshifts too quickly into 5th & 6th gear? If not, your dealer will probably not want to do this upgrade, even if you give them the TSB #...they are going to have to verify that this problem exists on your specific Tiguan...
      Yup, will explain to them that it shifts to 6th gear when we are doing 30 mph and it is slow to down ****.. there is a lag in between where its confused what to do next.

Thank you ALL

05-04-2012 11:49 PM #135
      Yup, will explain to them that it shifts to 6th gear when we are doing 30 mph and it is slow to down ****.. there is a lag in between where its confused what to do next.

Thank you ALL
      Yep, that's exactly the problem. Before my update, it could go to 6th at around 35mph and it was jumping all around (I think between 5th and 6th) with groaning noise. Now after the update, I still can get it to 6th at 40mph, but the groaning and shifting around has disappeared. So it is really not a placebo update I can assure you. The shift points have changed slightly in my opinion (and hence mpg numbers are most likely the same as before), but the transmission seems to be not jumping in an erratic fashion anymore and the groaning is gone.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.

05-04-2012 11:54 PM #136
      You know, I'm really not too sure what your problem is, but what I do know is I don't owe you a thing, let alone an explanation...

Get the update, or don't get the update, it's really up to you...you're the only one questioning this update here so it's really your problem to deal with...everyone else that got the update is feeling pretty good right about now...so its really just you
      i didn't ask you for anything bradsvw.

well, not entirely true. there is another post about what your mpg effect may be after about a month post-update. if you can feedback on that that would be idea.

the update being new, there are many questions of course - regardless if one gets it or not. the only thing we all have in common right now is that we all purchased a 2012 tiguan.

the consensus thus far for those who have received it is that it has improved their experience of their vehicle use. great.

but at the same time, the update has not eliminated 100% the quick shifting (some posts indicate car shifts still at around late 30s mph to 6th) or the groaning. some still experience vibration. will this last? there's been commenting about whether or not the reprogramming starts the vehicle transmission from scratch learning how the driver "drives" as to adapt to that style. what other effects may this have on the vehicle in the long-term, if any?

there appears to be two TSB numbers or two operations being performed during this update. what exactly are they for. who knows, maybe there will be another update later.

i'm not interested in getting this done now as i don't feel it is necessary. however, if there is an improvement in mpg or efficiency of the vehicle, then it would be something to consider.

didn't mean to imply or impose any ill-sentiment in my generalizations towards you or another fellow tiguan owner.

i sincerely want us all to enjoy our expensive VWs! i'm glad you now can.

05-05-2012 12:06 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Yep, that's exactly the problem. Before my update, it could go to 6th at around 35mph and it was jumping all around (I think between 5th and 6th) with groaning noise. Now after the update, I still can get it to 6th at 40mph, but the groaning and shifting around has disappeared. So it is really not a placebo update I can assure you. The shift points have changed slightly in my opinion (and hence mpg numbers are most likely the same as before), but the transmission seems to be not jumping in an erratic fashion anymore and the groaning is gone.
      that's great vw_nc_dude.

so initially you had a groan post-update but it took a day or two to eliminate. i know i have a light groan but coming from a diesel VW, it's way quieter than the diesel so it doesn't bother me and it's a quick transition while in city driving. i don't feel that "hunting" for gears as i think you are describing with the jumpning in erratic fashion.

i'm really interested in your mpgs.

05-05-2012 12:19 AM #138
      that's great vw_nc_dude.

so initially you had a groan post-update but it took a day or two to eliminate. i know i have a light groan but coming from a diesel VW, it's way quieter than the diesel so it doesn't bother me and it's a quick transition while in city driving. i don't feel that "hunting" for gears as i think you are describing with the jumpning in erratic fashion.

i'm really interested in your mpgs.
      Frankly speaking, mpg numbers right now are my secondary concern and I am not really measuring it precisely. But after my last fill-up it seems like my fuel needle is moving by roughly the same amount as before with mixed driving. So I do not think that there is a significant (if any) change in consumption with the update. As I said before, I do not think that the shifting points have shifted dramatically.

For the groaning noise comments I made earlier, I think I should have been clearer on that. Before the update, I had groaning plus vibrations and also the constant "hunting" for gears. After the update, there can be a minor (not very serious) groaning when I get to 6th at 40 mph, but the vibrations and the "hunting" for gears have disappeared.

So far I am happy with the update and it has been a huge improvement in driving experience for me. The update could have been a little bit better, but I am not picky right now and I am glad that it is much better than before.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-05-2012 09:01 AM #139
      i didn't ask you for anything bradsvw.

well, not entirely true. there is another post about what your mpg effect may be after about a month post-update. if you can feedback on that that would be idea.

the update being new, there are many questions of course - regardless if one gets it or not. the only thing we all have in common right now is that we all purchased a 2012 tiguan.

the consensus thus far for those who have received it is that it has improved their experience of their vehicle use. great.

but at the same time, the update has not eliminated 100% the quick shifting (some posts indicate car shifts still at around late 30s mph to 6th) or the groaning. some still experience vibration. will this last? there's been commenting about whether or not the reprogramming starts the vehicle transmission from scratch learning how the driver "drives" as to adapt to that style. what other effects may this have on the vehicle in the long-term, if any?

there appears to be two TSB numbers or two operations being performed during this update. what exactly are they for. who knows, maybe there will be another update later.

i'm not interested in getting this done now as i don't feel it is necessary. however, if there is an improvement in mpg or efficiency of the vehicle, then it would be something to consider.

didn't mean to imply or impose any ill-sentiment in my generalizations towards you or another fellow tiguan owner.

i sincerely want us all to enjoy our expensive VWs! i'm glad you now can.
      The ill-sentiment, as you put it, comes from the fact that you are questioning our perception of how the tranny shifts before the update as well as after the update...

You are also alluding to the fact that we are all IMAGINING the initial shifting problems, as well as the effect of the S/W update in correcting the shifting problems, i.e. exactly how much correction the update provided...

Here's a question for you: If you wanted the highest fuel mileage possible, why wouldn't you have purchased a hybrid suv which certainly would have higher mpg #'s, in general, than the Tig?

You're really agonizing over this...let it go...

05-05-2012 11:06 AM #140
      The ill-sentiment, as you put it, comes from the fact that you are questioning our perception of how the tranny shifts before the update as well as after the update...

You are also alluding to the fact that we are all IMAGINING the initial shifting problems, as well as the effect of the S/W update in correcting the shifting problems, i.e. exactly how much correction the update provided...

Here's a question for you: If you wanted the highest fuel mileage possible, why wouldn't you have purchased a hybrid suv which certainly would have higher mpg #'s, in general, than the Tig?

You're really agonizing over this...let it go...
      "agonizing" is your perception. i am curious that's all. i don't lose sleep over this as probably you have over how your car has behaved. hopefully you will get some rest now and enjoyment out of your Tiguan.

as for your question, i'm not interested in hybrids. if i was, i would be driving one. i'm not interested in DSG either else i would have really purchased a jetta wagon TDI DSG automatic. i wanted a small SUV and it came down to the CRV and Tiguan. 22/27 was an acceptable fuel economy rating. i test drove the 2012 for over 1/2 an hour in all kinds of traffic as well as a used 2010 based on what peoples reactions were to their 2012s shifting complaints. test drove the CRV for just as long. i bought the 2012 VW. if i wanted something lower in fuel economy, i would have purchased a Jeep Wrangler.

i think you are imagining what I am alluding to though. you can go back and read what i wrote and study it or just let it go.

at least vw_nc_dude has been able to do a good job at expressing what his experience after the update is and has been really good at providing feedback. i appreciate that.

there are many people who are looking to make an informed decision. we are relying on those who have had the update already done. including you.

happy driving.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-05-2012 11:29 AM #141
      "agonizing" is your perception. i am curious that's all. i don't lose sleep over this as probably you have over how your car has behaved. hopefully you will get some rest now and enjoyment out of your Tiguan.

as for your question, i'm not interested in hybrids. if i was, i would be driving one. i'm not interested in DSG either else i would have really purchased a jetta wagon TDI DSG automatic. i wanted a small SUV and it came down to the CRV and Tiguan. 22/27 was an acceptable fuel economy rating. i test drove the 2012 for over 1/2 an hour in all kinds of traffic as well as a used 2010 based on what peoples reactions were to their 2012s shifting complaints. test drove the CRV for just as long. i bought the 2012 VW. if i wanted something lower in fuel economy, i would have purchased a Jeep Wrangler.

i think you are imagining what I am alluding to though. you can go back and read what i wrote and study it or just let it go.

at least vw_nc_dude has been able to do a good job at expressing what his experience after the update is and has been really good at providing feedback. i appreciate that.

there are many people who are looking to make an informed decision. we are relying on those who have had the update already done. including you.

happy driving.
      I think I'll just let it go...

I really haven't had enough time on it yet...it takes off better from a stop and accelerates up through each gear, with a steady pedal, more evenly/ consistently and then depending on some variables, does not go right into 5th and 6th with the greatest urgency as before.

Also, easier to downshift with less pedal effort than before...seems like a much more normally shifting automatic than before, JMO

But you don't think there is anything wrong with your shifting on your Tig, in the 1st place...if you like it the way it is, why not just keep it as is?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      05-07-2012 12:09 PM #142

I was about to write the exact same thing...

garethusa, do you work for VW-Corporate or something? Seriously, I'm really starting to wonder based on your relentless attempts to argue this point... You're like a psychiatrist trying to get into our heads or something, and it's really getting annoying.

DONT GET THE UPDATE IF YOUR TIGUAN SHIFTS FINE. It's really that simple. Stop over-analyzing it, cause you and thelaw are the only two people on this forum that think the tranny program is fine. And stating that you just came from a VW diesel, NO WONDER you think the car drives/sounds normal...

thread/

Mods, PLEASE CLOSE!!!!
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

18. 05-08-2012 09:41 AM #143
      Just had my new (915 miles) 2012 LE FWD Tiguan back at the dealer for the 3rd time because I'm not happy with the transmission that lugs at 28-35 mph. I was told that the transmission was designed that way, and I should use sport mode if I don't like the sound and feel of the lugging.

I'm shocked that VW would design a vehicle with that problem. This is my first VW, and will definitely be my last unless this is corrected. I've owned many cars, foreign and domestic, and never had this problem. I wish I still had my Infiniti.

05-08-2012 09:56 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by rdeni View Post
      Just had my new (915 miles) 2012 LE FWD Tiguan back at the dealer for the 3rd time because I'm not happy with the transmission that lugs at 28-35 mph. I was told that the transmission was designed that way, and I should use sport mode if I don't like the sound and feel of the lugging.

I'm shocked that VW would design a vehicle with that problem. This is my first VW, and will definitely be my last unless this is corrected. I've owned many cars, foreign and domestic, and never had this problem. I wish I still had my Infiniti.
      Explain to your dealer that VW has received many customer complaints about the transmission and hence issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to reprogram the transmission. Don't take the "it was designed this way" answer; that's, pardon my French, BS!

Regarding the TSB number, ask about the following:

TSB# 2029206 or

TSB# 011213-2012810 The description is "hesitation to shift at low speed (or rpm)"
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.

20. 05-08-2012 08:35 PM #145
      I took my car to my dealer last week, they told me that the software doesn't match with my Tiguan, VTA told my dealer they need do some research on it. I still didn't get the call from my dealer today, I guess they haven't received information from VTA. Does the process take that long?

Explain to your dealer that VW has received many customer complaints about the transmission and hence issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to reprogram the transmission. Don't take the "it was designed this way" answer; that's, pardon my French, BS!

Regarding the TSB number, ask about the following:

TSB# 2029206 or

TSB# 011213-2012810 The description is "hesitation to shift at low speed (or rpm)"

21. 05-08-2012 08:41 PM #146
      I told my dealer about TSB# 2029206 and TSB# 011213-2012810, but they told me the only TSB# on the record is for the climate control. They have to open a VTA ticket to fix the transmission issue.

05-08-2012 09:24 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Gnoleb View Post
      I told my dealer about TSB# 2029206 and TSB# 011213-2012810, but they told me the only TSB# on the record is for the climate control. They have to open a VTA ticket to fix the transmission issue.
      Looks like they give you a hard-time and a walk-around. I insisted to the service department that they hook up my car to the computer and call tech-line. The technician was a bit hesitant to open a VTA ticket and said the car was "normal" but I insisted. After they hooked the car to the computer and called tech-line, they were able to update the software via tele-diagnosis (that's what is written on my service record). When I had this done, there was no TSB # but the service manager told me that a TSB on this issue was coming out that day.

Follow up with them and insist. If they do not want to do it, do you have another VW service nearby? If yes, you could check with them.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-08-2012 09:45 PM #148
      Call VWoA Customer Care at: 800-822-8987

Tell them your tranny is upshifting to 6th gear by 35mph and you know there is a s/w update that corrects it...Tell them you know of others that have received this update and it corrected their shifting problem and you would like it too...

24. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-08-2012 10:39 PM #149
      1. DSG is (as far as I know) made in Germany and more expensive than the current automatic made in Japan.

2. Respectfully disagree. If you do a search on "Tiguan Automatic Transmission" you will actually find many people not happy with the current automatic transmission shifting.

3. I would not put a gender-bias on this issue. My wife does not like the shifting of this, and I am pretty sure that many female drivers do not like to hear engine noise at low RPM and a sluggish transmission going between 5th and 6th gear in city traffic.
      I just purchased my new '12 Tiguan SEL and after only 250 miles I'm having the same trouble with the shifting and engine shaking. I am a lady and absolutely find this issue to be obvious and a nuisance. I left the vehicle at the dealer yesterday and so far I'm going through the same motions as those that have posted before. The one I test drove was magically unavailable for purchase so I went home with one they just pulled of the truck. Maybe a mistake on my part but for a crossover that was supposed to be fun to drive I'm wishing I would have waited two more months for the Q3.
      Last edited by VWOllie; 05-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.

25. 05-08-2012 11:24 PM #150
      Seem like the TSB# for transmission update is not officially released. I called three VW service in my area, they all told me there is only one TSB is for climate control. I'll stop by tomorrow to ask them to hook my car to the computer and update the software via tele-diagnosis.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast