Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: We are going to get an updated shift program for our 2012 transmissions!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-05-2012 12:29 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      "agonizing" is your perception. i am curious that's all. i don't lose sleep over this as probably you have over how your car has behaved. hopefully you will get some rest now and enjoyment out of your Tiguan.

as for your question, i'm not interested in hybrids. if i was, i would be driving one. i'm not interested in DSG either else i would have really purchased a jetta wagon TDI DSG automatic. i wanted a small SUV and it came down to the CRV and Tiguan. 22/27 was an acceptable fuel economy rating. i test drove the 2012 for over 1/2 an hour in all kinds of traffic as well as a used 2010 based on what peoples reactions were to their 2012s shifting complaints. test drove the CRV for just as long. i bought the 2012 VW. if i wanted something lower in fuel economy, i would have purchased a Jeep Wrangler.

i think you are imagining what I am alluding to though. you can go back and read what i wrote and study it or just let it go.

at least vw_nc_dude has been able to do a good job at expressing what his experience after the update is and has been really good at providing feedback. i appreciate that.

there are many people who are looking to make an informed decision. we are relying on those who have had the update already done. including you.

happy driving.
      I think I'll just let it go...

I really haven't had enough time on it yet...it takes off better from a stop and accelerates up through each gear, with a steady pedal, more evenly/ consistently and then depending on some variables, does not go right into 5th and 6th with the greatest urgency as before.

Also, easier to downshift with less pedal effort than before...seems like a much more normally shifting automatic than before, JMO

But you don't think there is anything wrong with your shifting on your Tig, in the 1st place...if you like it the way it is, why not just keep it as is?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      05-07-2012 01:09 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      You know, I'm really not too sure what your problem is, but what I do know is I don't owe you a thing, let alone an explanation...

Get the update, or don't get the update, it's really up to you...you're the only one questioning this update here so it's really your problem to deal with...everyone else that got the update is feeling pretty good right about now...so its really just you
      I was about to write the exact same thing...

garethusa, do you work for VW-Corporate or something? Seriously, I'm really starting to wonder based on your relentless attempts to argue this point... You're like a psychiatrist trying to get into our heads or something, and it's really getting annoying.

DONT GET THE UPDATE IF YOUR TIGUAN SHIFTS FINE. It's really that simple. Stop over-analyzing it, cause you and thelaw are the only two people on this forum that think the tranny program is fine. And stating that you just came from a VW diesel, NO WONDER you think the car drives/sounds normal...

thread/

Mods, PLEASE CLOSE!!!!
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

3. 05-08-2012 10:41 AM #143
      Just had my new (915 miles) 2012 LE FWD Tiguan back at the dealer for the 3rd time because I'm not happy with the transmission that lugs at 28-35 mph. I was told that the transmission was designed that way, and I should use sport mode if I don't like the sound and feel of the lugging.

I'm shocked that VW would design a vehicle with that problem. This is my first VW, and will definitely be my last unless this is corrected. I've owned many cars, foreign and domestic, and never had this problem. I wish I still had my Infiniti.

05-08-2012 10:56 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by rdeni View Post
      Just had my new (915 miles) 2012 LE FWD Tiguan back at the dealer for the 3rd time because I'm not happy with the transmission that lugs at 28-35 mph. I was told that the transmission was designed that way, and I should use sport mode if I don't like the sound and feel of the lugging.

I'm shocked that VW would design a vehicle with that problem. This is my first VW, and will definitely be my last unless this is corrected. I've owned many cars, foreign and domestic, and never had this problem. I wish I still had my Infiniti.
      Explain to your dealer that VW has received many customer complaints about the transmission and hence issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to reprogram the transmission. Don't take the "it was designed this way" answer; that's, pardon my French, BS!

Regarding the TSB number, ask about the following:

TSB# 2029206 or

TSB# 011213-2012810 The description is "hesitation to shift at low speed (or rpm)"
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.

5. 05-08-2012 09:35 PM #145
      I took my car to my dealer last week, they told me that the software doesn't match with my Tiguan, VTA told my dealer they need do some research on it. I still didn't get the call from my dealer today, I guess they haven't received information from VTA. Does the process take that long?

Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Explain to your dealer that VW has received many customer complaints about the transmission and hence issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) to reprogram the transmission. Don't take the "it was designed this way" answer; that's, pardon my French, BS!

Regarding the TSB number, ask about the following:

TSB# 2029206 or

TSB# 011213-2012810 The description is "hesitation to shift at low speed (or rpm)"

6. 05-08-2012 09:41 PM #146
      I told my dealer about TSB# 2029206 and TSB# 011213-2012810, but they told me the only TSB# on the record is for the climate control. They have to open a VTA ticket to fix the transmission issue.

05-08-2012 10:24 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Gnoleb View Post
      I told my dealer about TSB# 2029206 and TSB# 011213-2012810, but they told me the only TSB# on the record is for the climate control. They have to open a VTA ticket to fix the transmission issue.
      Looks like they give you a hard-time and a walk-around. I insisted to the service department that they hook up my car to the computer and call tech-line. The technician was a bit hesitant to open a VTA ticket and said the car was "normal" but I insisted. After they hooked the car to the computer and called tech-line, they were able to update the software via tele-diagnosis (that's what is written on my service record). When I had this done, there was no TSB # but the service manager told me that a TSB on this issue was coming out that day.

Follow up with them and insist. If they do not want to do it, do you have another VW service nearby? If yes, you could check with them.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-08-2012 10:45 PM #148
      Call VWoA Customer Care at: 800-822-8987

Tell them your tranny is upshifting to 6th gear by 35mph and you know there is a s/w update that corrects it...Tell them you know of others that have received this update and it corrected their shifting problem and you would like it too...

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-08-2012 11:39 PM #149
      1. DSG is (as far as I know) made in Germany and more expensive than the current automatic made in Japan.

2. Respectfully disagree. If you do a search on "Tiguan Automatic Transmission" you will actually find many people not happy with the current automatic transmission shifting.

3. I would not put a gender-bias on this issue. My wife does not like the shifting of this, and I am pretty sure that many female drivers do not like to hear engine noise at low RPM and a sluggish transmission going between 5th and 6th gear in city traffic.
      I just purchased my new '12 Tiguan SEL and after only 250 miles I'm having the same trouble with the shifting and engine shaking. I am a lady and absolutely find this issue to be obvious and a nuisance. I left the vehicle at the dealer yesterday and so far I'm going through the same motions as those that have posted before. The one I test drove was magically unavailable for purchase so I went home with one they just pulled of the truck. Maybe a mistake on my part but for a crossover that was supposed to be fun to drive I'm wishing I would have waited two more months for the Q3.
      Last edited by VWOllie; 05-08-2012 at 11:49 PM.

10. 05-09-2012 12:24 AM #150
      Seem like the TSB# for transmission update is not officially released. I called three VW service in my area, they all told me there is only one TSB is for climate control. I'll stop by tomorrow to ask them to hook my car to the computer and update the software via tele-diagnosis.

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-09-2012 01:03 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post

anyway, everyone is complaining about the premature
      shifting but has anyone observed the 12 tiguans at complete stops
      while at traffic lights (so, no stop signs stopping but actual
      longer duration stop at lights) that either the car feels
      like its gonna shut off or lunge forward? I've only experienced the
      feeling of what it's like when you let go of clutch but not have it in gear - like
      someone just bumped you in the back yesterday. the vehicle does not
      shut down. no CELs and no funky RPM behaviours.

this is more bothersome that current tranny programming.
      Yes the reason I took my '12 Tiguan in for service was b/c when I started it one morning the engine was shaking really bad and through out the day the shifting was worse than before and when I was at a stop it was making the same hard down shifting problem you describe. I would guess theres more going on with the trans.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      05-10-2012 04:23 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by VWOllie View Post
      I just purchased my new '12 Tiguan SEL and after only 250 miles I'm having the same trouble with the shifting and engine shaking. I am a lady and absolutely find this issue to be obvious and a nuisance. I left the vehicle at the dealer yesterday and so far I'm going through the same motions as those that have posted before. The one I test drove was magically unavailable for purchase so I went home with one they just pulled of the truck. Maybe a mistake on my part but for a crossover that was supposed to be fun to drive I'm wishing I would have waited two more months for the Q3.
      Sorry, but it's all in your head... The car shift fine - Just ask garethusa.
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

13. 05-10-2012 08:26 PM #153
      Just hours after I posted the above blog, my local VW dealer (Port Charlotte FL) phoned to tell me they just received a bulletin from VW of America with instructions to correct the lugging transmission problems. The transmission computer was to be reprogrammed.

Today my dealer performed the fix and so far, after 16 miles of driving, it seems like the transmission is fixed!!! The vehicle now drives quite smoothly. The engine sounds a bit 'throaty' at 28 mph, but there is no lugging. I noticed that the rpms are higher than before the fix. I'll be watching the gas mileage to see if there is an impact. I'll also wait until after a few days of driving before I tell my VW dealer if everything is OK. I'm cautiously optimistic.

05-10-2012 09:29 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by rdeni View Post
      Just hours after I posted the above blog, my local VW dealer (Port Charlotte FL) phoned to tell me they just received a bulletin from VW of America with instructions to correct the lugging transmission problems. The transmission computer was to be reprogrammed.

Today my dealer performed the fix and so far, after 16 miles of driving, it seems like the transmission is fixed!!! The vehicle now drives quite smoothly. The engine sounds a bit 'throaty' at 28 mph, but there is no lugging. I noticed that the rpms are higher than before the fix. I'll be watching the gas mileage to see if there is an impact. I'll also wait until after a few days of driving before I tell my VW dealer if everything is OK. I'm cautiously optimistic.
      Thanks for the update. Can you provide the TSB# for this fix so that members who could not convince their dealers have a reference? The TSB# should be on the receipt or service record they gave to you when you picked up your car.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-10-2012 at 10:37 PM.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Murano, 2012 Tiguan
      05-10-2012 11:13 PM #155
      Thanks for the update. Can you provide the TSB# for this fix so that members who could not convince their dealers have a reference? The TSB# should be on the receipt or service record they gave to you when you picked up your car.
      I had the update applied this morning. I'ts a Volkswagen now!!.... drives like the well made, well engineered car that it should have been when it rolled off the factory floor!!

No more growling and shaking. I agree that it seems like the transmission not only upshifts when needed, as it should have all along, but it seems to hold higher RPMs a little longer than before. I can still detect a little bit of delay in upshift but, I think it is just because I'm so sensitized to it from the horrible performance before the upgrade. If I had never been exposed to the problem before, it would feel like the shifts are perfect.

I'm very pleased that VW actually responded to buyer's comments and complaints. Faith is restored.

Service order from dealer says "Applied TB 2029206/2. Performed software update to TCM"

Everyone should get this upgrade even if they aren't bothered by the original shifting. I think the reduced lugging will be better for the engine in the long term.
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      2011 Murano SL AWD

05-10-2012 11:27 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by tjmatx View Post
      I had the update applied this morning. I'ts a Volkswagen now!!.... drives like the well made, well engineered car that it should have been when it rolled off the factory floor!!

No more growling and shaking. I agree that it seems like the transmission not only upshifts when needed, as it should have all along, but it seems to hold higher RPMs a little longer than before. I can still detect a little bit of delay in upshift but, I think it is just because I'm so sensitized to it from the horrible performance before the upgrade. If I had never been exposed to the problem before, it would feel like the shifts are perfect.

I'm very pleased that VW actually responded to buyer's comments and complaints. Faith is restored.

Service order from dealer says "Applied TB 2029206/2. Performed software update to TCM"

Everyone should get this upgrade even if they aren't bothered by the original shifting. I think the reduced lugging will be better for the engine in the long term.
      Agree, it really becomes a VW after the upgrade

Have the same experience and definitely would recommend it.

Thanks for the bulletin number: "Applied TB 2029206/2. Performed software update to TCM"

Vehicles
      2014/VW/GLI 30 Edition W/Nav , 2012 VW Tiguan SEL
      05-11-2012 01:58 PM #157
      Agree, it really becomes a VW after the upgrade

Have the same experience and definitely would recommend it.

Thanks for the bulletin number: "Applied TB 2029206/2. Performed software update to TCM"
      Do they have the update in all the Dealer now?
      what Number should i use to tell them what do i need? the TB 2029206/2

05-11-2012 02:24 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaBoy25 View Post
      Do they have the update in all the Dealer now?
      what Number should i use to tell them what do i need? the TB 2029206/2
      Yes, tell them the service bulletin number is 2029206/2 and that it is a software update to the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

I would first call them and ask if they have received it or not. Saves you time.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 05-11-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 02:27 PM #159
      Yes, tell them the service bulletin number is 2029206/2 and that it is a software update to the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

Thanks VW_NC_Dude, i just schedule my service for Monday.., Now doing the convincing the wife to let the car go lol

05-11-2012 02:29 PM #160
      Thanks VW_NC_Dude, i just schedule my service for Monday.., Now doing the convincing the wife to let the car go lol
      Did you verify that they have received the service bulletin?

From the posts here it looks like some dealers have not received it yet or are hesitant to apply it. If they received it, you need to clearly indicate that you are unhappy with your current transmission shifting.

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 03:05 PM #161
      nop,
      i just did a service appt, and tell them what was wrong, if anything they will call me,
      i have to go to the dealer anyway that why i did the appt on that day.

05-11-2012 03:19 PM #162
      nop,
      i just did a service appt, and tell them what was wrong, if anything they will call me,
      i have to go to the dealer anyway that why i did the appt on that day.
      OK, great! Can you please report back on Monday and let us know how it went?

23. 05-11-2012 08:27 PM #163
      The bulletin is TB-01-12-13 auth code 37302. They performed TCM update.

Drove the Tiguan all around town today and it's performing beautifully!

Allison from VW of America phoned me today to find out if the work performed corrected the problem. I told her "all is good".

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 09:49 PM #164
      OK, great! Can you please report back on Monday and let us know how it went?

Will do

25. 05-12-2012 05:40 PM #165
      I had the update done to our Tiguan today and I'm happy to report that it worked. The car feels much better and more responsive now. When I called to make the appointment on Wednesday, the service writer couldn't find any TSBs for the car, but when I got there today he had a printout of it so it must have shown up in the system between then and today.
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      2013 Tig SEL

26. 05-13-2012 12:31 AM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by erick.s View Post
      I had the update done to our Tiguan today and I'm happy to report that it worked. The car feels much better and more responsive now. When I called to make the appointment on Wednesday, the service writer couldn't find any TSBs for the car, but when I got there today he had a printout of it so it must have shown up in the system between then and today.
      I have appointment with my dealer on next Wednesday, they told me that they can do the transmission update for my Tig now. Will report back when I get it done.

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE
      05-14-2012 09:23 AM #167
      This is great news guys! I'm really excited, although my dealer has no idea what I'm talking about and haven't had anyone with the issue report it. They are smaller though so I'm not surprised. I got them looking into though. Is this an update that has to be pushed to the dealer or can they "go grab it"?

EDIT: So my service writer returned my call and said bring it in and they will do a VTA and call the tech line. I think I should get some results.
      Last edited by stainlineho; 05-14-2012 at 10:10 AM.
      2012 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle - GONE

2012 Tiguan SE - Stock

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 10:26 AM #168
      Have to Re-schedule my appt for tomorrow i will post what they did after that.

29. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE FWD
      05-15-2012 12:40 AM #169
      I talked to my dealer and also with a VW regional manager and both told me that this upgrade is not for my Tiguan with the 09G transmission. They said it is for the DSG transmission. Is this true?

30. 05-15-2012 12:53 AM #170
      No, It's for 2012 tiguan 6-speed automatic transmission with TiptronicR and Sport mode.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatjeff View Post
      I talked to my dealer and also with a VW regional manager and both told me that this upgrade is not for my Tiguan with the 09G transmission. They said it is for the DSG transmission. Is this true?

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE
      05-15-2012 08:45 AM #171
      At dealer now awaiting my loaner. Lazy service writer playing stupid. I asked her to promise she would open up direct comms with VW tech line. She said absolutely sir. We'll see where this goes.

2012 Tiguan SE - Stock

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE
      05-15-2012 09:35 AM #172
      Update: Dealer said they have found the update. She said they had to put the TSB number in "like 3 times".

2012 Tiguan SE - Stock

05-15-2012 10:33 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by wildcatjeff View Post
      Your dealer is wrong! This is for the 09G transmission! They need to look better.

05-15-2012 10:34 AM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by stainlineho View Post
      Update: Dealer said they have found the update. She said they had to put the TSB number in "like 3 times".
      Really wondering why it is such a pain for them to locate the update.

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 02:15 PM #175
      Got mine Update today.. the car run amazing....

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast