VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

We are going to get an updated shift program for our 2012 transmissions!

50K views 380 replies 82 participants last post by  screwball 
#1 · (Edited)
NOW AVAILABLE!: We are going to get an updated shift program for our 2012 transmissions!

I just received this email after logging a complaint:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for your e-mail sharing the concerns you’ve experienced with the programmed shifting of the transmission in your Tiguan. I’m sorry to hear of the disappointment this has caused, as I understand the current programming is shifting too early for your preferred driving style. I appreciate your feedback and the chance to provide you with more information.

I wanted to let you know that we have been made aware of this concern. We understand the need for our owners to enjoy every aspect of their ownership, and at this time, we are working on an update to help improve upon the shift programming. Because our dealerships will be the first to receive news of this update, I encourage you to contact your dealer on occasion or during regular maintenance to inquire about a possible update in this matter.

We strive to offer an unmatched experience for our owners, not only in the way we maintain our vehicles, but also in the way we maintain the quality of ownership. It is my sincere hope that this has not otherwise overshadowed the enjoyment of your Tiguan for the excellent driving machine it was built to be.

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Daniel R.
Customer CARE Advocate

See less See more
#3 ·
This is great news! I also complained to VWoA and to my dealer and got the party line...it works as designed...no changes planned anytime in the future...good luck with your new purchase!

So I'm happy to hear this...please keep us posted on the outcome...thanks,

Brad

#4 ·

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for your e-mail sharing the concerns you’ve experienced with the programmed shifting of the transmission in your Tiguan. I’m sorry to hear of the disappointment this has caused, as I understand the current programming is shifting too early for your preferred driving style. I appreciate your feedback and the chance to provide you with more information.

I wanted to let you know that we have been made aware of this concern. We understand the need for our owners to enjoy every aspect of their ownership, and at this time, we are working on an update to help improve upon the shift programming. Because our dealerships will be the first to receive news of this update, I encourage you to contact your dealer on occasion or during regular maintenance to inquire about a possible update in this matter.

We strive to offer an unmatched experience for our owners, not only in the way we maintain our vehicles, but also in the way we maintain the quality of ownership. It is my sincere hope that this has not otherwise overshadowed the enjoyment of your Tiguan for the excellent driving machine it was built to be.

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Daniel R.
Customer CARE Advocate
Great news! Hopefully we have some update soon!

#6 ·
Sorry, but...

Because our dealerships will be the first to receive news of this update, I encourage you to contact your dealer on occasion or during regular maintenance to inquire about a possible update in this matter.
Shouldn't this Customer CARE Advocate advise you when there's an update in this matter?

Do you have a case number? It seemed that folks were getting the same type of response ("we have an update coming") when it came to the issue of no heat when cranked to full hot, but once I got a case number and a VW case manager, VW had a fix within two weeks...

#7 ·
This is indeed great news. I submitted my complaint at the VW customer care site as suggested in another thread. I got a pretty generic reply which could have applied to many different complaints. I wasn't hopeful.

I also made a comment in my dealer followup survey. The dealer was fine, but I added a comment about the transmission. I got a call back, but all the phone rep could say was that she would make a record of my transmission concerns. She was, of course, very "sympathetic", but wasn't able to describe any specific action that would be taken.

This post lifts my spirits considerably. I wouldn't say it is a commitment from VW engineering but its the best I've seen so far. Fingers are crossed!

#8 ·
The email I received had a Case Number, but I don't expect them to contact me when it's available. I am sure someone will report it here as soon as the update is discovered in the wild.

I think the recent string of stinging professional press reviews really pushed them over the edge, with some help due to their customer's negative feedback.

Bottom line is l look forward to getting it.

#9 ·
I think you are correct about the pressures of negative press. Owners can and will complain, but I can see where it could be challenging to assess the significance of a reported problem coming from owners. But... critiques from the automotive press are no doubt weigheed heavier. In our limited driving of our new Tig, I don't see it as a major issue for us - at least not at this point. Nevertheless, I'll definitely take the revised programing once it becomes available.

#10 · (Edited)
I think you are correct about the pressures of negative press. Owners can and will complain, but I can see where it could be challenging to assess the significance of a reported problem coming from owners. But... critiques from the automotive press are no doubt weigheed heavier. In our limited driving of our new Tig, I don't see it as a major issue for us - at least not at this point. Nevertheless, I'll definitely take the revised programing once it becomes available.
Except the extended road tests we drive the car a lot more than the reviewers of the automotive press. And I respectfully disagree, it is a major issue at this point (for myself at least) because no car should be shifting around 5th and 6th gear at city speeds at ultra-low RPM producing a lot of engine noise.

#13 ·
I'm also encouraged. I got the brush-off with a standard canned thank you response and no useable details. Who actually produces the Tiguan's conventional 6-speed automatic for Volkswagen, Aisin? Chrysler's 62TE 6-speed automatic used in the Rutan has a major disadvantage managing shift quality over the older 4-speed variant (swap-shifting power flow) but at least the calibration is still much better than the too-early shift pattern of the Tiguan's D-mode. The other major disappointment is Tiguan's S-mode - it refuses to shift into 6th gear during expressway cruising, regardless of speed or throttle position. Whoever approved the Tiguan's 2012 automatic transmission calibration, in both modes, should be punished and required to actually purchase a Tiguan with their own money and drive it as their primary vehicle.

#14 ·
Some insight into the shifting strategy with Sport mode can be found here:

http://vw.nate-online.com/techdocs/DSG.pdf

Yes, the pdf is about this transmission, despite the name of the pdf file indicating otherwise.

Basically, Sport mode is programmed two ways, 6th is used if the overall gearing allows the car to have a higher actual top speed in 6th than in 5th. Otherwise, 6th is not used. No doubt the tall gearing on these cars provides a higher actual top speed in 5th, as would have been the case with my previous Golf 2.5 as well.

It will be interesting to see what solution they come up with for this issue.

#21 ·
I believe the reviewer from USA Today mentioned the wonkiness of the transmission as well:

•The automatic transmission, re-tuned on the 2012 models to favor fuel economy, toggles between lug and lunge.

It's too often in too high a gear, especially in low-speed residential neighborhoods. And at even the slightest hill, it downshifts to keep momentum.

Putting up with that is your penance for a fuel-economy rating 2 miles per gallon better than last year's model.

You can transcend the drag-along feel by flooring the gas, at which time the transmission shifts up through the gears perfectly; no pause, no shudder, just the next gear. And there goes your mpg, of course.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos...gen-tiguan-james-healey-test-drive/52938466/1

#22 ·
I am surprised that the automotive press had comments about the auto trans in the new '12 Tiguan since the 'issues' really manifest itself only in city traffic and stopa dn go situations...
Cruising on a highway or scooting around a small race track for performance testing does not reveal the programing weakness...
At the end of the day, its nothing bu a programing weakness that was done in favor of fuel economy...nothing more...
They could have achieved similar fuel economy with a DSG trans, but maybe there were recertification fees that prohibited the business case for the DSG.
Also, only a small number of people are sensative to this programing quirk...many ladies that buy and drive this vehicle do not feel that way about the transmission (my wife included).
Hopefully, there is a fix, but realistically, there probably won't be one since the gains in fuel economy was a big marketing thing for VW on this car, and to reverse that gain is not going to go well.

#23 · (Edited)
They could have achieved similar fuel economy with a DSG trans, but maybe there were recertification fees that prohibited the business case for the DSG.

Also, only a small number of people are sensative to this programing quirk...many ladies that buy and drive this vehicle do not feel that way about the transmission (my wife included).
1. DSG is (as far as I know) made in Germany and more expensive than the current automatic made in Japan.

2. Respectfully disagree. If you do a search on "Tiguan Automatic Transmission" you will actually find many people not happy with the current automatic transmission shifting.

3. I would not put a gender-bias on this issue. My wife does not like the shifting of this, and I am pretty sure that many female drivers do not like to hear engine noise at low RPM and a sluggish transmission going between 5th and 6th gear in city traffic.

#24 · (Edited)
Hello all, I currently own a 2011 Jetta SE 2.5, with a the regular 6-speed Auto/w tiptronic (non-DSG). My vehicle has the same symptoms that have been noted on this thread, shifts to early into 6th gear, etc. At 35mpg while in drive, I have switched it over to tiptronic mode, and the 6th gear is shown on my dash display. Then, applying the gas pedal again slowly, the car will lug and sometimes shudder. On other occasions, just making a slow turn through my neighborhood at 20mph, the car is in 4th gear, and will start to lug. I have brought this to my dealers attention and of course it all has to do with getting better mpg's, according to them. I've tried driving in sport mode but cannot stand the rough tranny down shifting when coming to a stop, very annoying. I don't use that function anymore. Recently I've been interested in possibly purchasing a new Tiguan, but after coming across this thread, I see the shift problem is the same in this vehicle. At this point I will probably pursue something else. I just don't understand how VW can release a transmission like this in their vehicles and not expect any negative feedback. I am a first time VW owner and IMO if the manufacturer is hoping to get repeat buyers, they need to do further testing on their vehicles before releasing to the public.

#31 ·
I would highly recommend NOT buying the Tiguan. It's FULL of problems. The heater turns to cold randomly (known problem they haven't manufactured a repair for yet), my recirc button and re-defrost will shut off and AC will come on (not the same problem as the previous one) and no one cares. VW will do nothing to help. I really wish I'd just bought the Ford. I'd wanted a Tiguan for a few years and no I am so disappointed and upset! I have owned VW's for ten years and have never experienced such terrible service and such a horrible VW!

#25 · (Edited)

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

I sent a follow-up email to VW yesterday and got the below response. So wondering why I did not get at least a message like above that there is something in the works. Maybe they are not ready to commit yet.

The message I received is as follows:

---

Dear Mr. Angry Tiguan Owner:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Tiguan. I understand you are inquiring about any reprogramming available for the transmission in your vehicle, and I appreciate the chance to assist you in any way possible.

We here at the Customer CARE Center are not aware any of software updates or reprogramming services available for the transmission in your Tiguan. Should one become available, this will be immediately released directly to our Volkswagen dealers to be completed to the specified applicable vehicles. As such, I’d like to encourage you to continue to keep in contact with your servicing dealer for any vehicle repair updates that may become available in the future.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, as it is our desire for you to enjoy your entire ownership experience. Please let me know when you will be taking your Tiguan in to have the transmission looked at. I will be sure to follow up with the Service Manager on that date to ensure all resources are utilized to address the shifting issues you are experiencing.

As a member of the Volkswagen family, your satisfaction is important to me. Please know our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

Sincerely,

C.
Customer CARE Advocate

#27 ·
I sent a follow-up email to VW yesterday and got the below response. So wondering why I did not get at least a message like above that there is something in the works. Maybe they are not ready to commit yet.
I don't think it is a commitment thing, I think they have to do it, but we'll see.

I will also add that I didn't email them asking them whether an upgrade was available. I commented more on how the transmission was behaving and they returned with the notion that they were going to make one available.

If I hear back from them directly (low expectation) I'll post it immediately. Let's hope the wait is short. Others can post their responses here as well.

#29 ·
I find VW to lack in their ability to respond to customer concerns/complaints about their cars. Now call to complain about a dealer and they're all over that! I am sick of both VWoA and the dealership giving me platitudes and BS! I want them to take my POS back so I can get a REAL car that has a PROPER transmission that shifts as it should. The dealer tells me "it drives like a manual". Well, ok then! Because I THOUGHT I traded my MANUAL in for an automatic? :mad: I don't see VWoA doing anything helpful anytime soon.

#30 · (Edited)
I would highly recommend NOT buying the Tiguan. It's FULL of problems. The heater turns to cold randomly (known problem they haven't manufactured a repair for yet), my recirc button and re-defrost will shut off and AC will come on (not the same problem as the previous one) and no one cares. VW will do nothing to help. I really wish I'd just bought the Ford. I'd wanted a Tiguan for a few years and no I am so disappointed and upset! I have owned VW's for ten years and have never experienced such terrible service and such a horrible VW!

#39 · (Edited)
You got a better response here's what I got.

Dear Mr. Edge:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding the concerns you are experiencing with the transmission in your Tiguan. We contacted Mr. XXXX, the Service Manager at XXX Volkswagen, and I appreciate the chance to provide you with an update.

Mr. XXX explained to us that your Tiguan was found operating as designed when it was test driven on September 7th and on October 12th. Because of this, Mr. XXX is not aware of any repairs or software updates needed to your Tiguan. As such, I regret we are unable to offer any repair solutions.

I understand you are dissatisfied with the way the transmission is performing. I’d like to encourage you to go for a test drive with a technician to point out the exact noise and vibration you are experiencing. The technician will be able to explain to you firsthand what is taking place in the transmission and why they feel this is considered normal operation.

If you would like me to follow up with the XXX Volkswagen to ensure all resources are utilized to address this matter for you, please let me know when your appointment date is, and I will be sure to do so.

With you being a multi-Volkswagen owner, we recognize your loyalty to our brand, and we take your concerns seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, especially so early in your ownership. It is our desire that you are completely satisfied with your Tiguan and are fully enjoying your driving experience. Please be assured I have documented your comments internally, so we may have a record of them.

Bummer

#40 ·
You got a better response here's what I got.

Dear Mr. Edge:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding the concerns you are experiencing with the transmission in your Tiguan. We contacted Mr. Gary Hu, the Service Manager at Tony Volkswagen, and I appreciate the chance to provide you with an update.

Mr. Hu explained to us that your Tiguan was found operating as designed when it was test driven on September 7th and on October 12th. Because of this, Mr. Hu is not aware of any repairs or software updates needed to your Tiguan. As such, I regret we are unable to offer any repair solutions.

I understand you are dissatisfied with the way the transmission is performing. I’d like to encourage you to go for a test drive with a technician to point out the exact noise and vibration you are experiencing. The technician will be able to explain to you firsthand what is taking place in the transmission and why they feel this is considered normal operation.

If you would like me to follow up with the Tony Volkswagen to ensure all resources are utilized to address this matter for you, please let me know when your appointment date is, and I will be sure to do so.

With you being a multi-Volkswagen owner, we recognize your loyalty to our brand, and we take your concerns seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, especially so early in your ownership. It is our desire that you are completely satisfied with your Tiguan and are fully enjoying your driving experience. Please be assured I have documented your comments internally, so we may have a record of them.

Bummer
Yep, looks like you got the generic treatment and they're trying to shift this to the dealers who come back to us and say everything works normal. The transmission or the engine needs to fall apart I guess before they acknowledge that there is really a problem.

As punishment, every dealer and service manager who says the transmission is operating under normal conditions should be forced to drive in these for life :mad:

#41 ·
I Hope you are right because this was the response I got;

Dear Mr. Edge:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding the concerns you are experiencing with the transmission in your Tiguan. We contacted Mr. xxxxx, the Service Manager at xxxx Volkswagen, and I appreciate the chance to provide you with an update.

Mr. xx explained to us that your Tiguan was found operating as designed when it was test driven on September 7th and on October 12th. Because of this, Mr. xx is not aware of any repairs or software updates needed to your Tiguan. As such, I regret we are unable to offer any repair solutions.

If you would like me to follow up with the xxxx Volkswagen to ensure all resources are utilized to address this matter for you, please let me know when your appointment date is, and I will be sure to do so.

If I can be of further assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

Customer CARE Advocate

This was my response

Thank you for your well written and polite email stating that it's my problem and VW is willing to have me come down again and drive along with someone who can explain how it's my problem. I do not accept your response as satisfactory at all.

Please see links of a few of YOUR customers feelings on the matter.

I suggest VWoA takes a long hard look at how people are responding rather than tell them(me) that the car drives as it was designed and that's not VW's problem but mine.

I think we all understand that it drives how it was designed. Please realize that the design is the problem not the people and an updated program really should be offered. If anyone doesn't want it then they don't have to take it. But for those who do want it and want to really enjoy there Tiguan VWoA should offer it.

Thank you-Please read all these links as you will learn what is going on with your customers.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ogram-is-HORRID!!!!!!&p=76101752#post76101752

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...uan-auto-transmission&p=75714522#post75714522

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ogram-is-HORRID!!!!!!&p=76101752#post76101752 328863#post74328863

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ated-shift-program-for-our-2012-transmissions!

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/26278-2012-SE-Auto-transmission-issue

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...30-mph-while-in-drive&p=73514826#post73514826

#44 ·
This was my response

Thank you for your well written and polite email stating that it's my problem and VW is willing to have me come down again and drive along with someone who can explain how it's my problem. I do not accept your response as satisfactory at all.

Please see links of a few of YOUR customers feelings on the matter.

I suggest VWoA takes a long hard look at how people are responding rather than tell them(me) that the car drives as it was designed and that's not VW's problem but mine.

I think we all understand that it drives how it was designed. Please realize that the design is the problem not the people and an updated program really should be offered. If anyone doesn't want it then they don't have to take it. But for those who do want it and want to really enjoy there Tiguan VWoA should offer it.

Thank you-Please read all these links as you will learn what is going on with your customers.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ogram-is-HORRID!!!!!!&p=76101752#post76101752

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...uan-auto-transmission&p=75714522#post75714522

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ogram-is-HORRID!!!!!!&p=76101752#post76101752 328863#post74328863

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ated-shift-program-for-our-2012-transmissions!

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/26278-2012-SE-Auto-transmission-issue

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...30-mph-while-in-drive&p=73514826#post73514826
Good response :wave:

Normal that they will drag their feet unless more and more complaints are coming in. Having driven so many automatic transmissions all these years, no one can convince me that this is 'normal' operation when the engine groans and moans at 35MPH at 6th gear! :mad:

#43 ·
I traded in my 2010 GTI for a 2012 Tiguan and i dont mind how it works at all. I have simply learned to press the pedal and give it gas around that speed to rev the engine to where i want it to be. Some times if im just poking along i let it do its thing, either way its fine and i don't suspect anything negative is happening that this engine cant take.

There is a very easy solution that i have come up with though, and im more than likely going to do this myself.

Step 1. Visit VW Dealership
Step 2. Buy GTI (Wait for MK7)
Step 3. Give wife (If wife is not applicable find one or trade in said SUV) Tiguan
Step 4. ?????
Step 5. Shift the car yourself

Over all this car has performed how i expected it to, and im very pleased with its quality and its comfort. I think this is a GREAT family vehicle and a very competent work vehicle with plenty of space and moderate towing capacity however it is no GTI. (Obviously)

#45 ·
I didn't like your 'solution' at all. We bought this car for my wife and I really do not like the notion on this forum that female drivers do not care about a bad shifting automatic transmission. My wife is complaining about the Tiguan's transmission as much as I do. Our other car is a 2008 Passat 2.0T with automatic transmission and it shifts perfectly. So spending so much money on a brand-new 2012 Tiguan SE, one would expect a satisfactory driving experience with a decently shifting transmission. I sincerely hope that the complaints are so much that VW of NA comes up with a reprogramming update for the transmission.

#49 ·
Not sure if you are joking or if you are really serious. I drive both automatic and manual transmissions and I would never shift into 6th at 35MPH in city traffic. Your car must have pretty good sound isolation, otherwise you should hear the engine groan a lot at those low RPM values.

#47 ·
The issue VOA is running in to is EPA Fuel economy ratings which made them go to the drawing boards in the first place.

They spend time and money trying to figure out how a SUV like the tiguan can get anywhere close to 30 mpg on the highway and this was what they came up with. Honestly i dont think there is any other way they could have done it without using a diesel engine.

So when there customers ask to change it, there entire focus for making this drastic system goes out the window and i do not think German engineers are willing to simply throw away there months of work and study and supply chains to incorporate a more efficient system in a SUV because people simply do not like the feeling it gives them.

It was the same thing and is the same thing that people run into when switching to DSG transmissions. People complain that is rough, or strange but that is exactally what it is. No more no less and to not like it is to simply say you want something else and there are plenty of other options.

Just wait, the tiguan will soon be built in america and this will in turn save costs and allow them to give it more features like DSG and a whole laundry list of options. SOrry you didnt like the comment about giving it to the wife but that is what is applicable to my situation as she is tickled pink to think about owning an SUV and couldn't care less that at 30-40 MPH it Lugs. lol

#48 · (Edited)
Agree with your EPA comment. That is why some suggested to provide a re-programming for the S mode so that it is less 'sporty'. That would leave the D mode and hence MPG performance unaffected and give the customer a choice to go to S mode but without the current high RPM shifting points of the S mode.

Also, we are not talking about replacing the transmission. We are simply talking about a software update. Of course, a lot of validation needs to be done for that as well, but it is not as difficult as doing changes in hardware.

Most of the VWs in Europe have DSG anyway, so I do not really think that German engineers have 'tested' the current automatic transmission for North American Tiguans in great detail. In fact, I suspect that they tried to quickly roll this out but with only high MPG numbers on their mind and that resulted in the current groaning and moaning of the engine at 35MPH at 6th gear at very low RPM values.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.