Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 18 of 18

    Thread: APR software friendly dealership?

    1. Member blefevre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      193
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      02-21-2012 04:40 PM #1
      I am thinking of going stage 1/1+ for my Golf R. This is my first car with a warranty and is part of the reason I got a new car and not a used one. From reading around, it seems like the software doesn't change much with regards to warranty service and some dealerships are perfectly fine with it.

      Does anyone have experience with Denver/Boulder dealerships that are okay with APR software and warranty service? Or the opposite, has anyone been denied a claim at a local dealership?

      Yes the top is beaten to death, but I wanted to see if there was experience with our local dealers.

    2. Member bblume's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2001
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      733
      02-21-2012 08:42 PM #2
      If you're chipping a golf r that means you have money to buy the program toggle feature that
      should be offered by APR that can be adjusted via the cruise control stalk...get that feature and call it good...'nuff said.
      92 Gti 16v
      96 Cabrio
      06 AVANT S-line QMT6 / REVO Stg II+ Etc...

    3. Member luke wl.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2010
      Location
      Fort Myers, Fl
      Posts
      560
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      02-21-2012 08:45 PM #3
      The golf r doesn't have the ability to run the toggle...

    4. Member blefevre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      193
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      02-21-2012 08:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by luke wl. View Post
      The golf r doesn't have the ability to run the toggle...
      This. It would be a no brainer if I could do that.

    5. Member bblume's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2001
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      733
      02-21-2012 09:04 PM #5
      ^^^fair enough
      I say either have the tuner flash it back to stock each time you need major work done (beyond an oil change) they shouldn't charge for this!

      OR

      Take your chances at McDonald....get to know a SA and be chill about what's going on.
      I took an APR chipped 20th AE there for a number of years without problem...even had a brand new ECM replaced under warranty (even though it was chipped) and they said nothing...more recently they serviced my avant (Revo stg2 at the time) and said nothing...even had the cam and follower and fuel pump replaced under CPO while it was chipped....I'm sure others have different experiences, but I felt like they were cool about the mods when I was using them.

      GL
      92 Gti 16v
      96 Cabrio
      06 AVANT S-line QMT6 / REVO Stg II+ Etc...

    6. Member blefevre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      193
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      02-21-2012 09:11 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by bblume View Post
      ^^^fair enough
      I say either have the tuner flash it back to stock each time you need major work done (beyond an oil change) they shouldn't charge for this!

      OR

      Take your chances at McDonald....get to know a SA and be chill about what's going on.
      I took an APR chipped 20th AE there for a number of years without problem...even had a brand new ECM replaced under warranty (even though it was chipped) and they said nothing...more recently they serviced my avant (Revo stg2 at the time) and said nothing...even had the cam and follower and fuel pump replaced under CPO while it was chipped....I'm sure others have different experiences, but I felt like they were cool about the mods when I was using them.

      GL
      Thanks, that is good to hear. I bought the R from McDonald. The people I did talk to were very open to modding, and one even has an R on order and will be modding it right away. I never did talk to a service guy, who I presume would actually make the warranty decisions. I have no other plans for the car, no new wheels, no lowering, etc. I think they would have no reason to suspect that it is flashed if something did break because everything else will be stock. Now to convince the wife!

    7. 02-21-2012 10:59 PM #7
      I would be careful with flashes at dealerships. Definitely don't take any car to Prestige. Brad aka Thad will void your warranty for being flashed even if the cars not flashed... I think he's just jelly of people with nice cars

    8. Member VWunion Chad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2010
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      813
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTI, 02 GTI
      02-22-2012 09:12 AM #8
      Chip tuning

      Standalone
      Wagen Wednesdays - Wednesday evenings at 7:00PM
      -----------------------------------
      Chad
      VWunion Club Founder
      VWunion.net - Colorado's Volkswagen Club

    9. Member SCIROCCO SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2002
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,826
      Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle, 86 Golf (RIP), 88 Scirocco 16v, 93 Corrado SLC, 07 GTI, 04 Jeep GC 4.0L, Cannondale
      02-22-2012 02:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by bblume View Post
      more recently they serviced my avant (Revo stg2 at the time) and said nothing...even had the cam and follower and fuel pump replaced under CPO while it was chipped....I'm sure others have different experiences, but I felt like they were cool about the mods when I was using them.

      GL
      Did you have the cam follower and fuel pump replaced while STG 2? (i assume with stg 2 you had a downpipe and intake). If so, that is awesome and i wish more dealers were like that!
      Engineers do it better.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2004
      Posts
      5,013
      02-22-2012 09:19 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by VWunion Chad View Post
      Chip tuning

      Standalone
      on a brand new car under warranty with no big power mods?

    11. Member bblume's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2001
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      733
      02-22-2012 10:41 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by SCIROCCO SPEED View Post
      Did you have the cam follower and fuel pump replaced while STG 2? (i assume with stg 2 you had a downpipe and intake). If so, that is awesome and i wish more dealers were like that!
      correct...it was a test pipe, intake and full exhaust (also lowered on HR sports).
      the key is knowing the right guy(s)...for the huge job on the follower/fuel pump, and new cam [cam was scored because the fuel pump piston punched right through the follower] it was all about the fact that I not only knew the SA but also the head tech..(who now owns Platinum by the way). I'm not saying go in with guns blazing....just saying find someone that can relate to the goals you have for your car, and establish a relationship....a sixer of suds goes a long way!

      It sounds like the OP already has the beginnings of this relationship with an SA who also wants to buy an R! However, it's true that there's always turnover and the supervisors and ultimately AofA that they have to answer to.....so maybe I was just lucky
      92 Gti 16v
      96 Cabrio
      06 AVANT S-line QMT6 / REVO Stg II+ Etc...

    12. Member DocWyte's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 1999
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      1,804
      Vehicles
      '03 Audi Allroad Stage 3 6MT
      02-23-2012 10:25 AM #12
      You're playing with fire there. It doesn't matter what the sales staff or the techs tell you. If you chip the car and the dealer knows about it, prepare to have your entire powertrain warranty voided.

      If you have a fuel pump issue it'll be the chips fault. If you have a transmission or ANY motor issue, guess what? It's the chips fault! Whether it actually is or isn't.

      You bought a new car for the warranty, be smart and leave the car alone while it's in warranty coverage. Both myself and several friends have had bad experiences with dealers, mods and warranty coverage.

      I still bitterly remember an Audi dealer refusing to replace a bad wheel bearing because I had H&R lowering springs. When I pointed out their parts department sold lowering springs his answer was "They say Audi on them!". At that point I lost it and loudly ripped him a new one, with everyone in the dealership turning around to see what was going on.

      Better safe than sorry on a new car, particularly a brand new model...

    13. Member blefevre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      193
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      02-23-2012 10:36 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
      You're playing with fire there. It doesn't matter what the sales staff or the techs tell you. If you chip the car and the dealer knows about it, prepare to have your entire powertrain warranty voided.

      If you have a fuel pump issue it'll be the chips fault. If you have a transmission or ANY motor issue, guess what? It's the chips fault! Whether it actually is or isn't.

      You bought a new car for the warranty, be smart and leave the car alone while it's in warranty coverage. Both myself and several friends have had bad experiences with dealers, mods and warranty coverage.

      I still bitterly remember an Audi dealer refusing to replace a bad wheel bearing because I had H&R lowering springs. When I pointed out their parts department sold lowering springs his answer was "They say Audi on them!". At that point I lost it and loudly ripped him a new one, with everyone in the dealership turning around to see what was going on.

      Better safe than sorry on a new car, particularly a brand new model...
      Things like this makes me unsure. The safe thing to do is wait around until the warranty is up. It's really no big deal as my other cars are an E30/Ti/Jeep so this car is a rocket at stock power from what I am used to. I will bring it up with the dealer when I am in there for the 90 day checkup.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2000
      Posts
      692
      Vehicles
      no more CW w/ 4 doors :(
      02-23-2012 10:35 PM #14
      Long story short, you pay to play.

    15. Member blefevre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      193
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      02-23-2012 10:51 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Freeride View Post
      Long story short, you pay to play.
      Yeah. Not like theres anything wrong with the car in stock form. It's still a blast.

    16. 02-24-2012 11:34 PM #16
      Dealerships are jokes these days. If you want to keep your warranty don't do anything aftermarket. My car had coils and wheels and Thad from Prestige called every performance shop trying to find out if my car had a chip. He wasn't even the one working on my car. The dealership in turn refused to work on my car when I confronted them about them calling shops asking about my car.

    17. 02-25-2012 12:58 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny truelove View Post
      Dealerships are jokes these days. If you want to keep your warranty don't do anything aftermarket. My car had coils and wheels and Thad from Prestige called every performance shop trying to find out if my car had a chip. He wasn't even the one working on my car. The dealership in turn refused to work on my car when I confronted them about them calling shops asking about my car.
      Take it to Emich for work. We have a ton of cars that have been chipped and they get warranty work done all the time there.

    18. 02-25-2012 01:44 AM #18
      Basically what it comes down to is, if you know someone at any dealerships besides Mcdonald and Prestige you should be ok.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •