Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stuck between two GTIs...Which to go with?

1. 02-21-2012 07:30 PM #1
      So I'm looking at purchasing my first ever VW. Actually I drove my dad's '87 Jetta when I first got my license but that was years ago.

Anyways, I'm set on a GTI and was set on purchasing this VR6 until I recently came across a 20th Anniversary Edition around my neighborhood. Here's some details about both.

2003 VW GTI 24V VR6 - Has around 70,000 miles, three owners, and looked clean when I saw it in person. Dark Gray. Cloth interior. Only upgrade is an intake (and I'd prefer to as stock as possbiel). Clean Carfax. The kid wants $9,000.00 for it, but he said he'd go to $8,700.00. He hasn't had the water pump, timing chain, or clutch replaced and I know I'll have to get to that at some point soon.

2003 20th Anniversary Edition VW GTI - Has roughly 94,000 miles on it. Hadn't had a chance to check the Carfax yet, but he said it's clean. Jazz Blue. Some nice 18'' wheels. Other than that, no upgrades. Said he recently had timing belt and water pump were replaced around 75,000 miles and has those records. Wants $7,750.00 for it and is firm on that price.

So I'm stuck...First of all, I don't know a lot about VW's. Heard the VR6 was the better engine, but I'm worried with the timing chain or water pump not being replaced. On the other hand, the 20th Edition has both done and still a decent amount of miles. So if ANYONE could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Vehicles
      97 TR jetta, 87 jetta, 81 caddy, 95 cbr600
      02-21-2012 09:42 PM #2
      Personally I would go with the 20th.
      Give wildlife a brake! 4TSQ. WV, Almost Heaven. Where are the moose? Save the Frogs!. Save the whales. I birds. Iron City

Vehicles
      1985 Volkswagen Scirocco, 1997 Jetta glx(R.I.P.) 2000 Jetta
      02-21-2012 10:06 PM #3
      well you have a choice between a great car and a great car. if you do not plan on doing any engine mods to the car i would get the 24v vr6. its a great engine. my dad has the gli with the 24v vr6 in it and all he has had to fix on it was a fuel pump at 140,000 miles. if you want to do mod the car get the 1.8t. Way less expensive than the vr6 to mod and you get more bang for your buck with what you do buy.

4. 02-21-2012 10:24 PM #4
      Thanks guys, appreciate all the help. Should I be worried that the VR6 hasn't had the timing chain or water pump done? I was leaning toward the 20th because of that reason (as he said he has records of those two, and the clutch was recently done), but I saw the VR6 in person and was clean...Trying to make a move quick after looking for a month and narrowing my choices down.

5. 02-21-2012 10:58 PM #5
      this is a tough one...the key is the timing belt/water pump/tensioner, thermostat and everything

you'll have to factor in the cost somewhere

Vehicles
      Bagged B5.5, MKV Jetta
      02-21-2012 11:00 PM #6
      I would go with the 20th, not because everyone has one but timing belt has been changed and its cheaper so you can go low

7. 02-21-2012 11:08 PM #7
      That's what my thought process has been. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and hopefully be back with some good news. I've been itching to own a VW for some time now.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      02-21-2012 11:30 PM #8
      20th. Though I may be a bit biased
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      3 MK3 GTI VR6'''s...
      02-21-2012 11:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      20th. Though I may be a bit biased
      are you just looking at mk4's...cause there are a few really clean mk3 gti's for sale currently, and many feel,including me, the mk3 is a better platform to build a car upon, plus they look better

if its just between those 2, get the 20th
      Geld und Macht bringt korruption!!!
      Von allen je gebauten volkswagens,steht man Kopf über den rest,den mk3 golf VR6

"stop telling lies about me, and ill stop telling the truth about you"...MD.
      WWW.1stVWparts.com

Vehicles
      '79 Rabbit, '04 Jetta, '10 S4, '13 Q7
      02-22-2012 11:56 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy2713 View Post
      Thanks guys, appreciate all the help. Should I be worried that the VR6 hasn't had the timing chain or water pump done? I was leaning toward the 20th because of that reason (as he said he has records of those two, and the clutch was recently done), but I saw the VR6 in person and was clean...Trying to make a move quick after looking for a month and narrowing my choices down.
      my '04 R has 70k on it and can honestly say I haven't even thought of a water pump and definitely am not worried about the chain. I'm no expert but I'd think you wouldn't have to consider the timing chain at least until you're clear over 100k. I had a mk3 12v vr that I ran from 44k to around 130k (over 3 years) and didn't have either done, and motor was fine and didn't "chatter".

Based on experience, I'd be more worried about the alternator and possibly the clutch.

And like others said, if you aren't planning on going hog-wild w/ power mods, the VR is probably the better "all-around" motor.

GL

Ryan

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 24V VR6
      02-22-2012 12:11 PM #11
      Depends on what you want out of the car! I have a VR6 and I love it. It's quick enough for me as of right now but the bolt on power upgrades are limited. If you want a car that is easy to boost performance without braking the bank then I'd go with the 20th.

12. 02-22-2012 01:18 PM #12
      Thanks guys. Probably wouldn't be doing a ton of modifications right away at least. So maybe I'll go with the VR6. Waiting to hear back on the guy selling his 20th so I can take a look, and hopefully something jumps out that swings my mind one way or the other...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 24V VR6
      02-22-2012 01:31 PM #13
      Thanks guys. Probably wouldn't be doing a ton of modifications right away at least. So maybe I'll go with the VR6. Waiting to hear back on the guy selling his 20th so I can take a look, and hopefully something jumps out that swings my mind one way or the other...
      Not trying to change your mind but to put things in perspective, if you plan on getting a VR6 and then want to up the power the only thing you can do, since its NA is chip, exhaust intake and camshaft. BTW the VR6 has an unmatched exhaust note. Amazing sound. An aftermarket turbo will cost you +$5000 if you're doing the labor yourself. A 20th on the other hand is a 1.8t and can easily get great power gains with a chip, exhaust and intake since it already has a turbo. After market turbos aren't even close to as expensive as the VR6 for the 1.8t either. Think about the future. It all depends on what you want to do.

Good luck with either purchase tho! Great cars

14. 02-22-2012 01:54 PM #14
      deagle
      this is a tough one...the key is the timing belt/water pump/tensioner, thermostat and everything

you'll have to factor in the cost somewhere

As a general guess, when would I be looking to replace the water pump/timing chain and how much am I looking at dishing out.

The kid already has it listed above KBB (although in great condition), and I'm trying to talk him down due to the fact I will probably have to get it done in the forseeable future.

15. 02-22-2012 01:56 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by pianoman3182 View Post
      Not trying to change your mind but to put things in perspective, if you plan on getting a VR6 and then want to up the power the only thing you can do, since its NA is chip, exhaust intake and camshaft. BTW the VR6 has an unmatched exhaust note. Amazing sound. An aftermarket turbo will cost you +$5000 if you're doing the labor yourself. A 20th on the other hand is a 1.8t and can easily get great power gains with a chip, exhaust and intake since it already has a turbo. After market turbos aren't even close to as expensive as the VR6 for the 1.8t either. Think about the future. It all depends on what you want to do.

Good luck with either purchase tho! Great cars
      Yea I wasn't really planning on upgrading it too heavily though. Might put an exhaust on it soon after purchase, but that's about it. Like I've said before, just weary on the timing chain/water pump/etc. etc. and what all will need to be done. Am I just being over-paranoid about that or is it a serious concern in the near future...What am I looking at money wise to replace this stuff. Know it's going to be kind of steep.

Vehicles
      '79 Rabbit, '04 Jetta, '10 S4, '13 Q7
      02-22-2012 04:17 PM #16
      Yea I wasn't really planning on upgrading it too heavily though. Might put an exhaust on it soon after purchase, but that's about it. Like I've said before, just weary on the timing chain/water pump/etc. etc. and what all will need to be done. Am I just being over-paranoid about that or is it a serious concern in the near future...What am I looking at money wise to replace this stuff. Know it's going to be kind of steep.
      If you've had it running with hood up and you didn't hear any chain noise, then it's non-issue. If it's not slightly leaking anti-freeze from the water pump area (may be hard to tell w/ those lower splash covers), you should be fine. I would imagine the pump would last at least until 100k. If it should need to be changed, it'll probably be a $300-400 at a local shop.

What you will see is coilpacks going, or the MAF sensor, and/or Ox sensors, but I think those problems can plague either motor.

My wife had an '01 12v VR years ago that did need to have the alternator replaced somewhere in the 70k range. And I guess that's due to them be underpowered for all the bells and whistles (plus she had a nice system in the car). That ran about $600 to replace, I believe.

17. 02-22-2012 04:46 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwfansince4 View Post
      If you've had it running with hood up and you didn't hear any chain noise, then it's non-issue. If it's not slightly leaking anti-freeze from the water pump area (may be hard to tell w/ those lower splash covers), you should be fine. I would imagine the pump would last at least until 100k. If it should need to be changed, it'll probably be a $300-400 at a local shop.

What you will see is coilpacks going, or the MAF sensor, and/or Ox sensors, but I think those problems can plague either motor.

My wife had an '01 12v VR years ago that did need to have the alternator replaced somewhere in the 70k range. And I guess that's due to them be underpowered for all the bells and whistles (plus she had a nice system in the car). That ran about $600 to replace, I believe.
      Sounds good. Yea heard coils are what I am going to run into frequently. Ill have to check for any leaking anti-freeze but other than that I think it's good. Still weighing the options. Keep the input coming guys. Thanks for everything!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 24V VR6
      02-22-2012 05:27 PM #18
      If you dont plan on doing much with the car and want the exhaust note, go with the VR6 and check out AWE tuning's exhaust. Best sound in my opinion. Techtonics tuning is also very good.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      02-23-2012 02:58 PM #19
      Go with the 20th. If you keep it OEM, it will hold its value a lot better. Much nicer interior and seats also.

My GF's 20th is in the 50k mileage range and in perfect condition. People have offered much more than KBB value for the car.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

20. 02-23-2012 06:34 PM #20
      Well...I haven't heard back anything about the AE. Took a look at the R, and made sure everything checked out regarding the timing chain and water pump. Drove and shifted like new. Couldn't complain about anything except the plastic hood latch being stripped and falling off when I went to pop the hood.

Anyways, looks like I'm going to grab it at the beginning of the week when I have some free time. I'm trying to upload some pics from my computer but can't seem to figure it out on here. And I'm usually decent with computers...

Vehicles
      MkV .:R32 #920 DBP
      02-24-2012 03:00 AM #21
      Your pics have to be hosted by a site such as photobucket or whatever the other ones are. Load them on there and then copy the link that has [img] before and after it. then paste it to your post. This took me for ever to figure out! your welcome.
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae
      we enthusiasts know what it is, but to the common peons it's just another golf.

22. 02-24-2012 02:16 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
      Your pics have to be hosted by a site such as photobucket or whatever the other ones are. Load them on there and then copy the link that has [img] before and after it. then paste it to your post. This took me for ever to figure out! your welcome.
      Thanks. Wished it was as simple as uploading from my computer, but all good. I'll be sure to upload to PhotoBucket after I purchase tomorrow and post. Thanks for the help Kzoo.

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      02-24-2012 11:00 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      are you just looking at mk4's...cause there are a few really clean mk3 gti's for sale currently, and many feel,including me, the mk3 is a better platform to build a car upon, plus they look better
      He never said he wanted to build a car and the MK3 is not the answer to every question.

Vehicles
      MkV .:R32 #920 DBP
      02-25-2012 12:09 AM #24
      Thanks. Wished it was as simple as uploading from my computer, but all good. I'll be sure to upload to PhotoBucket after I purchase tomorrow and post. Thanks for the help Kzoo.

I do what I can.
      Quote Originally Posted by heimbachae
      we enthusiasts know what it is, but to the common peons it's just another golf.