VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec Full Test

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      02-22-2012 03:44 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      Riiiiiight. I'm sure it's so rare for the two to be cross-shopped because the Z doesn't have a useless back seat like the other cars in this class.

http://www.google.com/#pq=genesis+co...w=1152&bih=704
      It's a matter of price. If you know a G37 will cost you $45k and you can only afford a $35k car you're not going to look at a new G37, so no cross-shopping, unless used G37. Ok?

The Z is a different story...they might be along the same price points (in fact a base Z with sport could be had cheaper than the new R-Spec it looks like)...but most people know the Z is a 2-seater and Z buyers aren't likely hot on Hyundai.

Also, for me, a backseat in coupe's doesn't ever amount to anything..it either has 4 doors for me or not. If I wanted a coupe I'd probably take the Z knowing I don't need a backseat at all for the purpose of the car.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 03 Elantra
      02-22-2012 03:57 PM #37
      The Z comes across as a significantly more sporty car than the Genesis Coupe because the Genesis Coupe is quite a big bigger and softer, plus a good bit heavier comparing most trims.

Practical purposes, the Genesis Coupe is much more a GT car, like the Infiniti, albiet not as nice inside and much much cheaper. At least to the people I've talked to who own Genesis Coupes (I can think of one exception who's come to the dealership here) nearly nobody cross shopped a 370Z because they weren't looking for a hard edged sports car.

I know magazines and TCL view the Genesis Coupe as a sports car like the Nissan, but my experience working at a Hyundai dealer has shown that the people actually buying the Genesis Coupe don't view it as such.

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      02-22-2012 04:02 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      The Z is a different story...they might be along the same price points (in fact a base Z with sport could be had cheaper than the new R-Spec it looks like)...but most people know the Z is a 2-seater and Z buyers aren't likely hot on Hyundai.
      Ya know, People are going to pounce on you and I for this since it's cool in TCL to be "open minded" and all and everybody has different ideas of what should and shouldn't be cross-shopped, but I agree with you.

#s wise they may compete but I think for a lot of people who would potentially be shopping for a Z the GC is just not going to have much appeal, same goes for the Mustang.

Insideline even admits it in their article, the Z is the more focused sportscar.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      Official Member of the Masochistic Black Car Owners Club
      02-22-2012 04:16 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      The Z comes across as a significantly more sporty car than the Genesis Coupe because the Genesis Coupe is quite a big bigger and softer, plus a good bit heavier comparing most trims.
      I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you haven't really driven the two cars back to back. Aside from a somewhat imprecise manual transmission and a bit of a power deficit, the Genesis has never given up much to the Z in terms of "sportiness". Handling was never an issue with the GC. And soft is not a word most people would use to describe it.

Now that it has significantly more power and a revised manual transmission, I'd be willing to bet the differences between the Z and GC are negligible at best. Neither car is going to walk away from the other one assuming both drivers are of equal skill/ability.

C&D's Lightning Lap, in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...1-class-page-3
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 02-22-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      02-22-2012 04:24 PM #40

Yah that shows the old 350Z beating the GC 3.8 R-spec by more than a second on the lap.
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      '00 GTI 1.8t, '05 Mazda6 Wagon V65M
      02-22-2012 04:24 PM #41
      Came for a "full test", only saw drag times, leaving disappointed. (I'm not Vin Diesel, so I don't care)

I'm curious to see what the prices on '12 3.8 R-specs look like around November/December of this year. I test drove a '11 R-spec and liked it well enough.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02-22-2012 04:28 PM #42
      I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you haven't really driven the two cars back to back. Aside from a somewhat imprecise manual transmission and a bit of a power deficit, the Genesis has never given up much to the Z in terms of "sportiness". Handling was never an issue with the GC.

Now that it has significantly more power and a revised manual transmission, I'd be willing to bet the differences between the Z and GC are negligible at best. Neither car is going to walk away from the other one assuming both drivers are of equal skill/ability.

So you're saying that a Cobalt SS feels the same kind of sporty because its lightning lap time is right up there with both of those cars?
      http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2011-page-8

I'm not speaking about something numerically quantifiable, just the overall feeling of driving the two cars. I used to have a 240SX years ago that would get trounced by a Genesis Coupe in any sort of race apart from a fuel mileage one, but to me, the 240Sx felt to be the more sporty of the two cars. It was more tossable and engaging to drive. I've always found the Genesis Coupe somewhat ponderous on tight roads.

I maintain that even though it may not make that much of a measureable difference performance wise, the extra 150lbs, 15 inches of length, inch of width, and 10 inches of wheelbase feel like they dull the Hyundai down as compared to the Nissan

Vehicles
      02-22-2012 04:36 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      Yah that shows the old 350Z beating the GC 3.8 R-spec by more than a second on the lap.
      I'm just asking you guys to look at the overall picture, but I guess that is too much to expect.

Highlights of the final rankings out of 114 cars included in the comparison:

71) Nismo 370Z 3.12.0
      72) 350Z Track 3.12.5

79) GC 3.8 R-Spec 3.13.8

97) Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport 3:17.5

And keep in mind we are talking about the "old" GC. The new one should be even faster around a track.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      02-22-2012 04:42 PM #44
      I'm just asking you guys to look at the overall picture, but I guess that is too much to expect.

Highlights of the final rankings out of 114 cars included in the comparison:

71) Nismo 370Z 3.12.0
      72) 350Z Track 3.12.5

79) GC 3.8 R-Spec 3.13.8

97) Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport 3:17.5

And keep in mind we are talking about the "old" GC. The new one should be even faster around a track.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

I see what you're saying. I'd like to see a non-nismo 370 in the next LL.

And that graph
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      02-22-2012 04:46 PM #45
      Having driven a 3.8 R-Spec (2011) at VIR, I can tell you it's a very competent track car. It just needed more power and a better shifter.

And having driven a Z at Summit Point, I can tell you Nissan should be worried.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

11. Member
      Vehicles
      02-22-2012 04:49 PM #46
      How does looking at one instrumented test equate to the overall picture of a car?

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      02-22-2012 04:52 PM #47
      Interesting updates!
      Quote Originally Posted by KyleC
      ...Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air...will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Never under estimate car buying public's insatiable appetite for plastic cladding.

Vehicles
      02-22-2012 04:52 PM #48
      How does looking at one instrumented test equate to the overall picture of a car?
      It tells part of the story. The post above yours tells another part. But you are correct, it can't tell you how a car feels.

I look forward to hearing your impressions after having driven both the 2013 GC and 2012 370Z back to back.

14. 02-22-2012 07:16 PM #49
      I do wish they had additional testing for any model marketed as being race ready.

For example, test 0-100mph-0 stats ten times in a row. Look for any fade or heat issues.

Continuous G pad to check for oil starvation issues.

15. 02-22-2012 09:09 PM #50
      Well there's this....

The Infiniti is a much better looking car and still has quite a bit nicer interior.
      Just realized what the new Gen Coupe reminds me of now:

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      02-22-2012 09:40 PM #51
      Yeah, if the fogs weren't shaped like triangles and cheese, I mean LED strips added.
      ...Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air...will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.
      Never under estimate car buying public's insatiable appetite for plastic cladding.

17. 02-22-2012 10:00 PM #52
      that's like saying a Miata is more comparable to a Hyundai Tuscon than it would be to a Honda S2000 because they price out close to each other.
      Why are you not comparing the Hyundai to a 135I or 335I then?

18. 02-22-2012 11:57 PM #53
      Not sure why InsideLine's numbers are so off for the G37 coupe...they put up similar or better numbers than the 3.8 R Spec all day long on the track, as well as the 370Z, anyone trapping only 101mph can't drive. So for the hyundai, with 20 more hp it's still most likely marginally slower than a 370Z/G37. I think I'd much rather take the turbo with potential for tuning.
      Their numbers are from an '09 G37 if I'm not mistaken, they haven't re-tested any G's (even though we're in 2012) now, and their IPL G numbers are also way off. Seriously, trapping 101mph isn't the normal for any VQ37 car. And some broken-in 370's with a good driver and tires can break into the 12's. Just saying..the R-spec has 20 more hp and based on non-InsideLine numbers it's still not as quick...continuing the trend of Hyundai overrating their engines. This is a flawed comparison with crappy numbers used as the basis.

Just for references, C&D numbers on the 370Z:
      0-60: 4.9s
      5-60: 5.6s
      1/4 mi.: 13.5 @ 106
      Roadholding, 300ft. skidpad: 0.97g
      I'll wait for C&D and others to test the 3.8 R Spec as well. My point is that based on this comparison with IL's conservative numbers for the Z & G, it is making the Hyundai look good, but going by other tests, and considering the Hyundai has a HP advantage, it really isn't that great.
      IL's nos. are always slower across the board.

Also, one has to take into consideration the weight of the vehicles as well as the torque nos.

In the last Motor Trend comparison of the GenCoupe against the V6 pony cars, the GC had the quickest 0-60 time.

GenCoupe - 5.8s
      Mustang - 6.2s
      Camaro - 6.1s

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

The GC splits the diff. btwn the Z and the G37, not as hardcore as the Z, but more track-ready than the G37.
      Last edited by CP1; 02-23-2012 at 12:15 AM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      02-23-2012 12:00 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      IL's nos. are always slower across the board.

In the last Motor Trend comparison of the GenCoupe against the V6 pony cars, the GC had the quickest 0-60 time.

GenCoupe - 5.8s
      Mustang - 6.2s
      Camaro - 6.1s

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
      Yeah, but the Genesis was tested against a Mustang with the fuel-saver rear end. The 3.31 you get in the Performance ("Mayhem") package will negate that acceleration advantage, and anybody cross shopping a Mustang with a 3.8L Track or R-Spec Genesis is going to be looking at the Mayhem.

That 3.7L Duratec is an overachiever. Even with the GCs 3.8 putting out 350hp, the Mustang is still going to give it a serious run for its money in the acceleration department.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

20. 02-23-2012 12:09 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      Yeah, but the Genesis was tested against a Mustang with the fuel-saver rear end. The 3.31 you get in the Performance ("Mayhem") package will negate that acceleration advantage, and anybody cross shopping a Mustang with a 3.8L Track or R-Spec Genesis is going to be looking at the Mayhem.

That 3.7L Duratec is an overachiever. Even with the GCs 3.8 putting out 350hp, the Mustang is still going to give it a serious run for its money in the acceleration department.
      Maybe so, but isn't the Performance package not offered on the slushbox Mustang?

As for the whole fuel-saver thing...

Despite this aggressiveness, the Genesis managed to score the top spot during our observed fuel-economy testing.
      Anyway, the point is, can't just look at one or a couple of 0-60 times - as they can fluctuate quite a bit from tester to tester; heck, publications testing the same model on diff. occasions also often get diff. times.
      Last edited by CP1; 02-23-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      02-23-2012 12:12 AM #56
      Maybe so, but isn't the Performance package not offered on the slushbox Mustang?
      You can buy the 3.31 rear end as an a la carte option on either transmission, or bundled with the Mayhem package on the stickshift car.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      02-23-2012 12:31 AM #57

The Infiniti is a much better looking car and still has quite a bit nicer interior.
      Looks terrible in this shot.
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

23. 02-23-2012 12:38 AM #58
      ^^ Fair enough, but this whole Hyundai overstates its HP is a bunch of BS.

Now, do they necessary make the best use of their HP/torque - often, no.

For instance, IL tested the 2.0T on the dyno and it tested within the normal parameters.

But Hyundai limited the torque in 1st and 2nd gear to mitigate torque steer (which is why in the reviews, they mention the lack of torque steer for something that's FWD and 270HP+) - so it isn't until 4th gear that the Sonata really is able to use its HP.

At higher speeds is where the Sonata turbo really flies when you press on the pedal.

In addition, Hyundai also tends to program its ATs for optimal fuel efficiency - which can diminish some of the fun factor.

And as IL noted, Hyundai also isn't immune to over-protective electronic nannies.

Yet our 2013 3.8 R-Spec tester probably would have been even quicker if it weren't for the drivetrain protection measure that Hyundai continues to program into all manual-shift Genesis Coupes. Upshift at the marked 6,750-rpm redline and you get a momentary cut in power in the next gear.

- LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      2013 WRX; Hyundai Veracruz
      02-24-2012 03:23 PM #59
      It's a matter of price. If you know a G37 will cost you $45k and you can only afford a $35k car you're not going to look at a new G37, so no cross-shopping, unless used G37. Ok?

Also, for me, a backseat in coupe's doesn't ever amount to anything..it either has 4 doors for me or not. If I wanted a coupe I'd probably take the Z knowing I don't need a backseat at all for the purpose of the car.
      I agree with the price part, but not the back seat part. I will be shopping for a new DD in about a year (or sooner if my 12yo truck dies on me). I want it to be fun, sporty, reliable, and it MUST have a backseat, just in case i need to tote the kids around, which happens occasionally. A new G37 is out for me, due to price (but will still consider a CPO for around $30k). The 370Z is out due to no back seat. I will consider the Scion/Sub twins, but that seems a bit small. The Mustang and Camaro are out because of image (my wife thinks only rednecks drive them). Add in the great warranty, and Hyundai has a great car here. If i do get one, i would look into painting that front crossbar body-color, though...

BTW, i will also be cross-shopping the Golf R if they are lingering on lots, the WRX, and probably used 335i.

Vehicles
      02-24-2012 03:34 PM #60
      ^^ Fair enough, but this whole Hyundai overstates its HP is a bunch of BS.

Now, do they necessary make the best use of their HP/torque - often, no.

For instance, IL tested the 2.0T on the dyno and it tested within the normal parameters.
      I don't think Hyundai over-rates their engines. I just think Ford under-rated the D37. The Lightning Lap results speak for themselves there. There's no way the Ford was only putting out 305hp the way it spanked the Gen Coupe with the speed limiter intact.

And as IL noted, Hyundai also isn't immune to over-protective electronic nannies.
      Not a good thing, btw. Those nannies are annoying as hell and can get in the way when you're trying to put down a good lap time.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      88 E30M3 race car,89E30M3, 01 325iT, 92 Gti 8V
      02-24-2012 03:45 PM #61
      BRZ STI...

I think that one wins.. for me anyway. coming in a year or so.
      Gary,

If you can take it apart you can make it faster...
      aka:"The old guy..."

Vehicles
      The Wombat Benz Wagon & a crappy '00 Civic Si
      02-24-2012 03:59 PM #62
      The Mustang GT references are going to be unending, but here's a quick reality check: A GT/Brembo Mustang is $4k more than the 3.8 R-Spec, and to boot, the Mustang's brakes are still fade-prone, so it's going to cost more on top of that to get the same track performance that you get out of the box with the Hyundai.

The R-Spec is still the performance bargain for this category. It may not be much faster than the Mustang V6 on paper, but it's a far, far more capable track weapon.
      Personally, I found the V6 Mustang to be way more fun on the track. Also, the Brembos in the Gen Coupe fade quickly too...
      Hooniverse.com

Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      Lol the car redlines at 'gravel'

Vehicles
      02-24-2012 04:11 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by JtotheG View Post
      Personally, I found the V6 Mustang to be way more fun on the track. Also, the Brembos in the Gen Coupe fade quickly too...
      I couldn't fade the 3.8 R-Spec's Brembos at VIR, and that's a fast track.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      02-25-2012 04:20 PM #64
      I couldn't fade the 3.8 R-Spec's Brembos at VIR, and that's a fast track.
      So, it is better than the Nissan/Infiniti!

Quote Originally Posted by KingRuckus
      Looks terrible in this shot.
      Am thinking a lighter color would look better. White, Silver, etc...

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E93 328i 6MT, '12 VW Tiguan SE 4motion
      02-26-2012 06:48 AM #65
      While you cannot ignore hard numbers, I think that driving feel is much more important than just the numbers. The pre-face lifted GC was a potent car by itself by providing great chassis and handling characteristics. It's great that the GC has gotten a big power improvement in just mid cycle refreshment. It doesn't happen very often.

I suspect that the new GC R-spec would probably feel just in between 370z and G37c. From my experiences, 370z is a pure sports car, while G37c is more of a GT car. I have been shopping for a new car recently, and I have considered both. They are all comparable in price if you want a fully loaded car like me, with 370z at ~42k, G37c and Audi TT around 45k.

Unfortunately, I found that none of these cars were perfect for me. While I like how they look, 370z was too rough and impractical for a daily driver, even though G 6MT was much more quiet and smooth while being agile, its clutch feel was such a letdown. Plus, the engine was harsh at high RPM and the car felt heavy. It still offered a good power, biggest room out of three (which doesn't say much), and tons of tech stuffs. I liked TT for its seats, driving position, unique design, and the handling. DSG was better than I expected even though it's still no manual. While torque was great for daily driver, it could use little more HP. AWD is a plus for bad weather.

For someone like me, who needs a fun to drive daily driver, you could consider all these cars including GC. I'm not a fan of a new GC exterior, but it's probably worth a test drive. The driving feel is way more important than just hard numbers for a lot of people. Of course, you can't ignore looks. Unfortunately, I don't like how mustang looks, and 335i costs 10k more fully loaded.

Anyways, it's exciting to see improved GC, as more competition is better. It's just unfortunate that I can't find a perfect fun loaded daily driver for 45k...

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      02-26-2012 09:33 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by 10minutes View Post
      I suspect that the new GC R-spec would probably feel just in between 370z and G37c. From my experiences, 370z is a pure sports car, while G37c is more of a GT car. I have been shopping for a new car recently, and I have considered both. They are all comparable in price if you want a fully loaded car like me, with 370z at ~42k, G37c and Audi TT around 45k.
      Yea, the clutch in the 370Z/G37 has always been a thorn in the side for me..hence why I drive the 7AT G37 now (which btw, I find underrated..the 7AT is perfect for this car), but like you said, it's no manual. I think the GC is still worth checking out as well, and I've seen a few around here in person lately..I think they show much better than in the photos, and seem more aggressive looking in real life. Although I think the new front grille is a step back.

32. Member
      02-26-2012 11:08 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by mariok2006 View Post
      Srsly.

Wow thanks for that. Give me a BR-Z!

03-14-2012 10:14 AM #68

34. 03-14-2012 10:23 AM #69
      DAMN - 5.2 in 0 to 60 - very nice!

03-14-2012 11:24 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by AeroBuilders View Post
      DAMN - 5.2 in 0 to 60 - very nice!
      i know huh. I am really looking at one of these for my next car..the 3.8 track model sounds quite good .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast