Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Need help piecing together a BT setup

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-03-2012 09:59 AM #911
      Check out this idle log I just took yesterday. Specifically, look toward the end of the log at the o2 corrections and knock values.

Also why did my intake temperature go down? I wasn't moving... (sensor may be bad?)

I also believe the MAF was unplugged at the time of this log so why is there a couple frames where the MAF showed a value... This was during cranking I believe

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GFUVC1RczM2bmc
      Last edited by travis_gli; 08-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-06-2012 03:24 PM #912
      Things seemed to have improved slightly with just the new coil packs. I gapped the new plugs to .035 but haven't had the time to install them yet. When time allows I'll put them in and post my results. I have yet to have the bullsh!t stuttering issue on startup yet. It still hesitates slightly under throttle at times but I don't completely lose throttle control when pulling out like I use to.

The next thing getting replaced is the alternator and battery. I was looking for a 200A alternator but can't seem to find one. I'm going to at least put a 120A in.

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-06-2012 05:45 PM #913
      I now have -9.00 and -6.25 in block 032 after using the TT225 MAF profile and resetting fuel trims. I probably put around 200 miles on it over the weekend so its safe to say these readings are fairly accurate.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 92 Honda Prelude Si JDM H22 Swapped
      08-06-2012 06:42 PM #914
      Quote Originally Posted by travis_gli View Post
      Things seemed to have improved slightly with just the new coil packs. I gapped the new plugs to .035 but haven't had the time to install them yet. When time allows I'll put them in and post my results. I have yet to have the bullsh!t stuttering issue on startup yet. It still hesitates slightly under throttle at times but I don't completely lose throttle control when pulling out like I use to.

The next thing getting replaced is the alternator and battery. I was looking for a 200A alternator but can't seem to find one. I'm going to at least put a 120A in.
      why so much gap on the plugs? bkr7e come at .035" gap. also, i dont think we have 200a alternators. highest replacement i've seen would be 120. my stock one was 90. i went with another 90
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, GodSpeed Aluminum Radiator, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-06-2012 07:54 PM #915
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      why so much gap on the plugs? bkr7e come at .035" gap. also, i dont think we have 200a alternators. highest replacement i've seen would be 120. my stock one was 90. i went with another 90
      From my understanding you want to go with the largest gap possible before blowout to get the most efficient combustion which can result in power gains. I'm also thinking that the hotter spark can help remedy "bad gas" situations and help with fuel mileage. Too large of a gap obviously can be bad and cause blowout / misfires. However these FSI coils are suppose to be able to handle the larger gaps quite well.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 08:15 PM #916
      i guess if you have the fsi coils you can run the larger gap. i am on the stock coils with .026" gap and the car runs great
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, GodSpeed Aluminum Radiator, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-06-2012 08:57 PM #917
      i guess if you have the fsi coils you can run the larger gap. i am on the stock coils with .026" gap and the car runs great
      Welp mine runs like poo so I'm trying to eliminate any possibilities.

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-07-2012 06:52 PM #918
      I believe I'm going to soon start on my own DIY for Maestro at least for ironing out the base tunes. Ever so slightly I'm getting closer and closer to a stable tune thanks to the help I've been getting here on Vortex.

9. 08-07-2012 07:22 PM #919
      I believe I'm going to soon start on my own DIY for Maestro at least for ironing out the base tunes. Ever so slightly I'm getting closer and closer to a stable tune thanks to the help I've been getting here on Vortex.
      Glad to hear you're making progress travis Keep tweaking, and making improvements. Too many guys settle for a 'meh' running car. Its a shame.

There's guys with 50 trim, and 3071 setups putting down more power than guys with large frame turbos. Why? Its all in the tune.
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-08-2012 09:29 AM #920
      For you 50 trim guys how sluggish are the lower RPM's like 1k - 3.5k? I just feel like I'm driving around a scooter in those RPM's. Could be the tune... Its understood that I have no boost in those RPM ranges but still.

Vehicles
      08-08-2012 10:16 AM #921
      Quote Originally Posted by *+NEIL*+DIAMOND*+ View Post
      Glad to hear you're making progress travis Keep tweaking, and making improvements. Too many guys settle for a 'meh' running car. Its a shame.

There's guys with 50 trim, and 3071 setups putting down more power than guys with large frame turbos. Why? Its all in the tune.
      yep

For you 50 trim guys how sluggish are the lower RPM's like 1k - 3.5k? I just feel like I'm driving around a scooter in those RPM's. Could be the tune... Its understood that I have no boost in those RPM ranges but still.
      my 1st 2 files were a little sluggish in low rpms and out of boost. this new one is awesome. it actually has decent power down low now and spool is more snappy. I drove the car for the 1st time in weeks this morning, it felt great. I almost forgot about the new VVT on there, I garaged it a day or 2 after I got the ECU back from Al.

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-08-2012 11:25 AM #922
      yep

my 1st 2 files were a little sluggish in low rpms and out of boost. this new one is awesome. it actually has decent power down low now and spool is more snappy. I drove the car for the 1st time in weeks this morning, it felt great. I almost forgot about the new VVT on there, I garaged it a day or 2 after I got the ECU back from Al.
      I'm hoping once I get my injectors and LTFT's worked out I can remedy it by using the histogram features.

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-15-2012 01:42 PM #923
      Welp... Game Over.

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 01:44 PM #924
      Welp... Game Over.

WHAT THE FCUK HAPPEND BRO!?!?!?!?!?!?

15. 08-15-2012 01:44 PM #925
      Damn.. car-b-q..

Gonna fix it? Doesn't look too bad really?

Vehicles
      '05 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
      08-15-2012 01:55 PM #926
      Don't really know. Fire company said possibly the battery. It looks more passenger side front so I think it was fuel related. I have the slightest clue. As for what I'm doing with the car I don't know. Its up the the insurance company. If they total it I'm going to either buy another 1.8T or spend the extra money and find a nice 2.0T. If they don't total then it will be restored back to before this bull**** happened by R. Miller.

As for aftermarket parts goes I guess I just need to dig up all the receipts for them to make sure I get the money back.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI; 05 VW Jetta GLI 5857BT
      08-15-2012 01:57 PM #927
      Fuel leak?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

18. 08-15-2012 02:37 PM #928
      Stay away from those 2.0T's bro. I had bought an 06' 2.0T passat for a driver NEW; car was nothing but problems. Just got rid of it after 126,000 nightmare ridden miles. Good riddance

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-15-2012 05:11 PM #929
      This makes me very sad.. sorry to hear man.

Looks like it came from your fuel pump area. I spotted a leak with mine yesterday onto the rail, glad I caught it in time.

Needless to say, I think I am going to purchase a little fire extinguisher for my trunk.
      50 trim'd up!
      http://ctsturbo.com-/thread

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 05:22 PM #930
      Don't really know. Fire company said possibly the battery. It looks more passenger side front so I think it was fuel related. I have the slightest clue. As for what I'm doing with the car I don't know. Its up the the insurance company. If they total it I'm going to either buy another 1.8T or spend the extra money and find a nice 2.0T. If they don't total then it will be restored back to before this bull**** happened by R. Miller.

As for aftermarket parts goes I guess I just need to dig up all the receipts for them to make sure I get the money back.
      damn, that sux man. at least you got out alright and dint crash

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      08-15-2012 05:26 PM #931
      Rough man... Same thing happened to me but the reason why it started on fire was because I through a simple aluminized steel flex pipe on as a dump tube. One winter in buffalo and it rusted out and eventually had a whole large enough to send all that heat into my firewall. Caught the firewall on fire then the fuel lines ..... It was rough but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If they don't total it take the cash and start tucking and shaving a bit like I did. I'm on my way to finishing sometime in the next couple weeks. Keep your head up, don't give up your bay looks alot like where I was last year so its not a total loss, as I once thought myself looking at the same picture last oct.

PS: HUGE reminder for anyone in the community you need to carry a fire extinguisher I'll be rocking one as soon as my motor is back in.
      Last edited by Budsdubbin; 08-15-2012 at 05:29 PM.
      20th Build ~9:5:1 wiseco 81mm forge pisons~IE 20mm rifle drilled H beams~Calico rod bearing~stock port AWP head matched to a IE intake manifold~hemi throttlebody~Custom downpipe/turboback~Self maestro tuned~tial 38mm wastegate~GT3076r .63ar Vband~6 puck Clutchnet~PTE600~USRT 1000cc gen2's~044 IE surge assembly~IE fuelrail~fuelab adjustable FPR

22. 08-15-2012 05:30 PM #932
      Stay away from those 2.0T's bro. I had bought an 06' 2.0T passat for a driver NEW; car was nothing but problems. Just got rid of it after 126,000 nightmare ridden miles. Good riddance
      I think you're meaning to say "stay away from the FSI's"

the TFSI and TSI's are mucho better!

Welp... Game Over.

Ouch, that must have sucked... sorry to see that...

But in all honesty, it looks saveable! You can bounce back man!
      Canadian Immo 2 and 3 defeat service, PM for more information.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Jetta, '68 912
      08-15-2012 05:32 PM #933
      Quote Originally Posted by Budsdubbin View Post
      PS: HUGE reminder for anyone in the community you need to carry a fire extinguisher
      Can't be said enough

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      08-15-2012 05:59 PM #934
      thats fixable, and this is why i have an automotive fire exstinguisher in my front seat.

this is also why i never put a second fuel pump in the engine bay...this could've been fuel or oil.
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.

25. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      08-15-2012 09:16 PM #935
      I bet it was fuel. What size fuel lines were used and what kind of clamps? The stock fuel rail is a bitch to seal even with the proper clamps

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      08-15-2012 09:55 PM #936
      I felt gay for carrying two little extinguishers.. This is a good reminder of function>form.

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta SE
      08-15-2012 10:22 PM #937
      Anyone else thinking that having a top mount manifold could have contributed to this?

28. 08-15-2012 10:29 PM #938
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      Anyone else thinking that having a top mount manifold could have contributed to this?
      Absolutely. Even upon a cursery inspection of that pic; you can see that's where it originated from.

Waaay too much heat in the worst possible place in the engine bay, coupled with the fact that kinetics lines are way too short = bad news IMO. There's been many a car-b-q due to the design of these kits. Id feel safer rocking an ATP kit; to be honest.

29. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 10:30 PM #939
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      I think having improperly installed fuel system in the engine bay contributed to this. I used to have a top mount mani and a walbro 255 in the engine bay for almost a year. Never had a problem.

Look where the fire is concentrated in the pictures. Right next to the timing belt cover where the fuel pump sits.
      Last edited by formerly silveratljetta; 08-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.

30. 08-15-2012 10:39 PM #940
      Quote Originally Posted by formerly silveratljetta View Post
      I think having improperly installed fuel system in the engine bay contributed to this. I used to have a top mount mani and a walbro 255 in the engine bay for almost a year. Never had a problem.

Look where the fire is concentrated in the pictures. Right next to the timing belt cover where the fuel pump sits.
      Not discounting the obvious possible install errors; the top mount setups certainly add an unnecessary level of heat, as well as risk.

That said; Travis worked hard to build this car, and I hope he doesn't throw in the towel after this 'little' setback.
      Last edited by Rod Ratio; 08-15-2012 at 10:46 PM.

31. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 11:35 PM #941
      If its totaled how much do you want for the rolling shell, no motor just the trans?

Vehicles
      Evo IX MR: 1991 VW GTi 1.8T 20V: Mk6 GLI
      08-16-2012 01:44 AM #942
      Absolutely. Even upon a cursery inspection of that pic; you can see that's where it originated from.

Waaay too much heat in the worst possible place in the engine bay, coupled with the fact that kinetics lines are way too short = bad news IMO. There's been many a car-b-q due to the design of these kits. Id feel safer rocking an ATP kit; to be honest.
      a blanket helps keep temps under control. i dont know why anyone would run a top mount without a blanket. I also have wraps on all fuel lines that sit near the turbo hotside. i run a top mount with 1 of my 3 pumps in the bay. Granted its all AN fittings but none the less.

edit: the walbro should have also been installed to the left of the power steering can.
      Last edited by halchka99; 08-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.
      For Sale: SEM driver box.

33. 08-16-2012 06:32 AM #943
      Quote Originally Posted by formerly silveratljetta View Post
      If its totaled how much do you want for the rolling shell, no motor just the trans?
      Richie you're a dick

34. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 07:11 AM #944
      Richie you're a dick
      I don't see how offering to pay money for a car that is basically worthless makes me a dick?

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI 1.8t project and B3 vr passat wagon
      08-16-2012 07:47 AM #945
      mmmmmm well thats a buzz kill....

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast