Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 437

    Thread: Tesla's Major Design Flaw May Cost You $40,000

    1. Former Advertiser
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2007
      Location
      Summit Point, WV
      Posts
      9,884
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      02-22-2012 05:29 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      The internets are on the job!:

      http://c1qfxugcgy0.tumblr.com/post/1...stating-design

      I suspect this entire issue won't take long to be exhaustively argued about to the highest levels of keyboard rage anecdotal knowledge.

      Ha that guy made my two exact points about the cable and japan.. guess I Should have read the whole thread... Or maybe the author should have done some damn research.

    2. Member TigerinColorado's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2007
      Location
      On clapped Contis
      Posts
      13,753
      Vehicles
      Rovers and German buffet
      02-22-2012 05:34 PM #102
      Tesla being more up front about the limitations would go a long way here. Why hide?

      Every car has stickers warning you of all kinds of things ALL over it. Why should an EV one be any different?

      They need to gratis those 5 and add lawyer stickies all over the place.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2003
      Posts
      1,498
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      02-22-2012 05:36 PM #103
      Parasitic drain FTW!

    4. Banned
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2012
      Posts
      95
      02-22-2012 05:37 PM #104
      You know this apparent "media blitz" of random attacks and hit pieces on Tesla reminds me of......Tucker. I doubt it is just a coincidence because the big corporations FEAR independent upstarts and always have and they also play dirty.....real dirty, as Tucker found out.

    5. 02-22-2012 05:53 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by gnillort View Post
      You know this apparent "media blitz" of random attacks and hit pieces on Tesla reminds me of......Tucker. I doubt it is just a coincidence because the big corporations FEAR independent upstarts and always have and they also play dirty.....real dirty, as Tucker found out.
      So you think that GM, Chrysler, Ford et al are behind this? If anything, this hurts them. the true cost of this battery issue is public perception of EVs. They all have something coming along. why would they do anything that would hurt the market?

    6. Banned
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2012
      Posts
      95
      02-22-2012 06:10 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      So you think that GM, Chrysler, Ford et al are behind this? If anything, this hurts them. the true cost of this battery issue is public perception of EVs. They all have something coming along. why would they do anything that would hurt the market?

      Their desire to kill off what they perceive as a real threat overrides that kind of common sense more often than you'd think. Happens all the time in the corporate world. The big joke is that these "executive professionals" should have more restraint and intellect, you would think.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      8,012
      02-22-2012 06:35 PM #107
      Reading through this thread...people blame Tesla for owner neglect and misuse....

      As with those owners many of you don't seem to understand how the tech works or how to care for hybrids and EVs. But you have opinions none the less.


      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    8. Member rlfletch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 11th, 2000
      Posts
      3,410
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4, Focus Electric
      02-22-2012 06:38 PM #108
      Didn't a similar issue come up with Priuses that weren't driven enough? I seem to remember some old couple complaining about their ****ty mileage but Toyota told them to pound sand as they didn't drive their car enough which ended up killing the battery.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2005
      Posts
      2,364
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 24V VR6
      02-22-2012 06:46 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      Really? This is even remotely believed? Does the TV on the far side of your house not work right because it is too far from the pole?

      Yes there could be some drop across the extension cord but not enough that i could see it being less supplied power then what the car is using in standby.

      Japanese and US plugs are compatible voltage wise and even plug into each other both grounded and ungrounded. The frequency apparently is off 50 vs 60 (US) hertz but that can be easily sorted by anyone with the budget to ship a damn car across the ocean and a trip to an electronics store, that is assuming the onboard charge controller could not handle it which I"d imagine it would.

      There are Teslas in Japan are they all bricked?


      Not saying they cannot totally discharge but 2 out of the 4 actual examples listed just don't make sense..
      A Tesla charger is not a TV. Try more like power tools or a blow dryer. Now take those and put them on an extension cord - 100'. I've also been in homes that were wired poorly where much the same thing can happen without an extension cord. Voltage drop over long runs can be an issue if not handled properly. It sounds like Tesla was actually smart and completely disables charging if there isn't enough juice available. The alternative would be melting the cord and potentially starting a fire.

      Japans electrical grid is seriously screwed up. It's possible that between driving the car to the docks and then shipping the car to Japan the car was near death on arrival. If the car was in a 50hz region then there would be problems that aren't easily sorted. That's why there was rolling blackouts. He would been to find a transformer or generator to power the car. Who knows what the guy was thinking but depending on the length of drive from the Japanese docks and given that there's no way to just add a little it's possible he ran out of juice before finding a solution because he figured it would be plug and play in Japan. Judging by the Tesla forums and a Google search there isn't an easy way to interface with a 50hz electrical system.

    10. 02-22-2012 06:49 PM #110
      I say good.

      They screwed over the innocent taxpayer for their opulent luxury item, so this is simply karma.

    11. Member rlfletch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 11th, 2000
      Posts
      3,410
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4, Focus Electric
      02-22-2012 07:01 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      I say good.

      They screwed over the innocent taxpayer for their opulent luxury item, so this is simply karma.
      The crazy is strong in this thread already...
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      8,012
      02-22-2012 07:03 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      I say good.

      They screwed over the innocent taxpayer for their opulent luxury item, so this is simply karma.
      Paging mister Wonka...

      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    13. Member Professor Gascan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2002
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      10,508
      02-22-2012 07:10 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      I say good.

      They screwed over the innocent taxpayer for their opulent luxury item, so this is simply karma.
      Wrong, this is Karma.

      Rubbing alcohol is for external injuries. Drinking alcohol is for internal injuries. It's a science. - Nick Miller

    14. Member Hawk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      8,379
      02-22-2012 07:10 PM #114
      Article needs more brick in " ".

    15. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      24,152
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      02-22-2012 07:16 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      Why didn't someone think to have the car shut down at x% of battery? That's not that hard.
      ah yes so simple... a solution that a team of engineers 100x smarter then you never thought of.

      there are various 'always on' systems in the car. 'always on'... meaning, cannot be turned off.

      please read the article in detail next time.

      the issue is not driving the car beyond its range and running out of juice. its the ever present energy draining sub-systems that totally kill the battery.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    16. Member AHFlynn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2008
      Location
      UConn Country
      Posts
      3,679
      02-22-2012 07:20 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      I say good.

      They screwed over the innocent taxpayer for their opulent luxury item, so this is simply karma.
      [IMG]http://a.images.******************/instances/400x/15051136.jpg[/IMG]

      not the best ill admit...

      edit: sorry, meme fail.
      Last edited by AHFlynn; 02-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

    17. Member Hawk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      8,379
      02-22-2012 07:23 PM #117
      Does anyone in The Car Lounge own a Tesla?

    18. Member hugoaswho's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2006
      Location
      PLanet Zurcon 114453 Alpha
      Posts
      2,755
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      02-22-2012 07:23 PM #118
      lol at all the wannabe engineers in this thread

      Major News at 11 - Rechargeable Battery loses charge if not charged, world stunned...

    19. Member AHFlynn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2008
      Location
      UConn Country
      Posts
      3,679
      02-22-2012 07:29 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Does anyone in The Car Lounge own a Tesla?
      i dont think so, we do have a lot of people though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2008
      Location
      Hollywood, CA
      Posts
      3,934
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      02-22-2012 07:31 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      ah yes so simple... a solution that a team of engineers 100x smarter then you never thought of.

      there are various 'always on' systems in the car. 'always on'... meaning, cannot be turned off.

      please read the article in detail next time.

      the issue is not driving the car beyond its range and running out of juice. its the ever present energy draining sub-systems that totally kill the battery.
      And why do these sub-systems have to be on all the time? Why can't they be programmed to shut off if the battery gets to critical levels? Whatever complications that would arise from shutting down these sub-systems has to be less damaging then ruining the entire car

    21. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      24,152
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      02-22-2012 07:46 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      And why do these sub-systems have to be on all the time? Why can't they be programmed to shut off if the battery gets to critical levels? Whatever complications that would arise from shutting down these sub-systems has to be less damaging then ruining the entire car
      again, if it was that simple, then i am sure they would have done that.

      also remember that some systems draw energy even when they are off.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2006
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      1,032
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 03 Elantra
      02-22-2012 07:51 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      And why do these sub-systems have to be on all the time? Why can't they be programmed to shut off if the battery gets to critical levels? Whatever complications that would arise from shutting down these sub-systems has to be less damaging then ruining the entire car
      once again, if you have something programed to shut off, you have to have something else running to get it to power back up, all the electrical safety backups in the world won't do any good for this particular problem because they still all rely on electricity to run. That's ignoring the fact that left to its own devices the battery will happily just go dead on its own, batteries just do that.

      What everyone is suggesting is that they have a hard mechanical stop to current flow, which would be the same thing as unhooking the battery, which would be relatively simple even as is.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2008
      Location
      Hollywood, CA
      Posts
      3,934
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      02-22-2012 07:55 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      once again, if you have something programed to shut off, you have to have something else running to get it to power back up, all the electrical safety backups in the world won't do any good for this particular problem because they still all rely on electricity to run. That's ignoring the fact that left to its own devices the battery will happily just go dead on its own, batteries just do that.

      What everyone is suggesting is that they have a hard mechanical stop to current flow, which would be the same thing as unhooking the battery, which would be relatively simple even as is.
      I am not an electrical engineer by any means, but there must be a way to have the battery shut off. Even if they built in an automated mechanical device under the hood that physically disconnected the battery when the charge got critical. ANY solution, no matter how convoluted expensive or difficult (maybe the car would shut down then have to be towed back to a Tesla dealer to be re-started) is better than the entire car being ruined because the battery got drained too far

    24. Member Professor Gascan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2002
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      10,508
      02-22-2012 08:02 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      I am not an electrical engineer by any means, but there must be a way to have the battery shut off. Even if they built in an automated mechanical device under the hood that physically disconnected the battery when the charge got critical. ANY solution, no matter how convoluted expensive or difficult (maybe the car would shut down then have to be towed back to a Tesla dealer to be re-started) is better than the entire car being ruined because the battery got drained too far
      Two issues: An automated device to physically disconnect the battery would need battery power from somewhere to work. You would also need said power to reconnect it. Likewise, as has been mentioned, the battery will naturally go dead, on its own, with no external influence.
      Rubbing alcohol is for external injuries. Drinking alcohol is for internal injuries. It's a science. - Nick Miller

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2005
      Posts
      2,364
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 24V VR6
      02-22-2012 08:03 PM #125
      There's all kinds of warnings including the one that if active will call you and tell you hey dude you forgot to plug in your plug in car. Honestly, if my car contacted Tesla and said that it was dying and Tesla was able to save it, I'd say that's pretty bloody nice.
      The entire car isn't ruined, it's the battery pack. There should be some kind of storage mode, but even then the battery will still not like sitting and not being used. The lil battery on my bikes and snowmobiles didn't like sitting around waiting to be used even when disconnected from everything, why would a big ass battery used to power a car be any different?

    Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •